Print Thread
My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? #8759359 12/16/22 12:26 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I just turned 38 and in August I had gotten up to 285 pounds. I am getting older and decided enough was enough.

My cholesterol was off the charts and I was headed down a path that lead to an early heart attack. I also started to see that it was affecting my job performance as a firefighter. I have always been able to pass all my physical fitness tests but I could still feel I needed to step up my game to maintain my ability to do a good job.

So over the last 4 months I’ve dropped 45 pounds. I’ve been able to lose the weight by cutting sweets, soda and flour. I also started working out harder and more frequently. I’m still eating carbs and sugar in the form of fruit and whole grains, some potatoes. I’ve tried to stick to a diet of mainly grilled meat and vegetables.

However, my sleep is still suffering and energy levels are still low but improved. I’ve also had a very difficult time even maintaining muscle mass much less gaining any.

My testosterone levels back in the spring were under 200. At the time I didn’t think about replacement therapy due to not really having any side effects other than low energy and sleep issues. My sex drive remains high and everything that come with that.

Those who have done TRT, what has been your experience? I am on the fence and will wait to see what my level is and hopefully it’s improved with diet and exercise.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: BradyBuck] #8759368 12/16/22 12:40 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Your pretty young to consider TRT, If your sex drive is high I wouldn't worry about it

Weighing 285 at age 38 wasn't a good thing, you did good loosing weight and with your lifestyle change you should easily be able to keep the weight off

As far as muscle mass I would be more concerned with exercising daily than getting muscles mass.

I suspect over time with diet and exercise you will improve.

Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: BradyBuck] #8759406 12/16/22 01:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
I just turned 38 and in August I had gotten up to 285 pounds. I am getting older and decided enough was enough.

My cholesterol was off the charts and I was headed down a path that lead to an early heart attack. I also started to see that it was affecting my job performance as a firefighter. I have always been able to pass all my physical fitness tests but I could still feel I needed to step up my game to maintain my ability to do a good job.

So over the last 4 months I’ve dropped 45 pounds. I’ve been able to lose the weight by cutting sweets, soda and flour. I also started working out harder and more frequently. I’m still eating carbs and sugar in the form of fruit and whole grains, some potatoes. I’ve tried to stick to a diet of mainly grilled meat and vegetables.

However, my sleep is still suffering and energy levels are still low but improved. I’ve also had a very difficult time even maintaining muscle mass much less gaining any.

My testosterone levels back in the spring were under 200. At the time I didn’t think about replacement therapy due to not really having any side effects other than low energy and sleep issues. My sex drive remains high and everything that come with that.

Those who have done TRT, what has been your experience? I am on the fence and will wait to see what my level is and hopefully it’s improved with diet and exercise.

Your current issues are because of low T. You can raise your T back up some with weight loss and exercise, I was late 30’s when I got on TRT it was never a low sex drive issue, more sleep and many just energy and drive.

There are two options for low T. T injections or Clomid. Clomid takes longer as it pushing your body to make more testosterone vs TRT which is every fourth day injection. Talk to your doctor about which is best for you.

If you get into a slump on your weight lose try semaglutide. It fix’s the ol bottomless pit appetite

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: BradyBuck] #8759466 12/16/22 02:28 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Try going full blown carnivore. You’ve already started that way. You’ve got to get rid of as many carbs in your diet as you can.

Fat gives you essential fatty acids

Protein gives you essential amino acids

Carbs are not essential at all. Period. Maybe to keep from starving to death in the absence of fat and protein.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Don’t use seed oils. They are highly processed and contain high levels of omega-6 which counteracts whatever amount of omega-3 you are taking in.

Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: GNTX] #8759476 12/16/22 02:42 PM
H
huntingbig8 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by GNTX
Try going full blown carnivore. You’ve already started that way. You’ve got to get rid of as many carbs in your diet as you can.

Carbs are not essential at all. Period. Maybe to keep from starving to death in the absence of fat and protein.

Don’t use seed oils. They are highly processed and contain high levels of omega-6 which counteracts whatever amount of omega-3 you are taking in.

Even most carnivore diets use carbs, diets that restrict them are bs, they just need to be from the right source, think like fruits and honey etc.

Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: BradyBuck] #8759488 12/16/22 02:52 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Get closer to your target weight before you seriously think about TRT. Your levels can vary significantly depending on the time of day of you blood draw. When was your blood drawn when you got the <200 result? If that's the direction you want to go, get with a Dr. that specializes in TRT not one of those TRT clinics. There are several ways to supplement. There are creams, pellets, injections, liquids, and gels and as Bobo said Clomid. Start with a low dose and work your way up. Don't start with an aggressive dose and then have to let it metabolize its way out of your body. I don't like the pellets for this reason. If you get too much you can't just take them out. Watch your estrogen levels too or you could wind up with a job in the Biden administration.

Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: BradyBuck] #8759506 12/16/22 03:10 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
A healthy diet, a lot of water and being more active will fix most folks. Protein drinks will help with muscle mass issues. If you drink alcohol, stop. Nothing good will come from it.

Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: huntingbig8] #8759526 12/16/22 03:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by huntingbig8

Even most carnivore diets use carbs, diets that restrict them are bs, they just need to be from the right source, think like fruits and honey etc.

Vegetable carbs are even better then fruit carbs.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8759595 12/16/22 04:21 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
A healthy diet, a lot of water and being more active will fix most folks. Protein drinks will help with muscle mass issues. If you drink alcohol, stop. Nothing good will come from it.

I go in spurts on the alcohol. I haven’t had a drink in about 5-6 months. I will buy a bottle of bourbon and drink it within a couple weeks then go a few months without.

But I’ve been craving a glass lately.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: huntingbig8] #8759640 12/16/22 04:55 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Disagree. Anything that keeps your blood glucose at elevated levels necessitates elevated insulin levels to counteract. This leads to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. There are low glycemic vegetables that are ok, but anything sugary will spike your blood sugar, doesn’t matter if it’s sucrose, glucose, fructose.

And no, most carnivore diets don’t use carbs. It’s literally as close to zero carb intake as possible by definition. Keto uses carbs, but it’s still low carb, high fat. Carnivore is more extreme form of keto.

Diets that restrict carbs are not bs. It’s the way our ancestors ate. Mostly subsisting on animal fat and protein and a few carbs from fruits and berries when they were available. Same is true of grain and vegetables. Nothing like the 24/365 stuff you find in the grocery stores. There is way too much sugar in most people’s diets at present.

Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: GNTX] #8759819 12/16/22 08:52 PM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M

Disagree. Anything that keeps your blood glucose at elevated levels necessitates elevated insulin levels to counteract. This leads to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. There are low glycemic vegetables that are ok, but anything sugary will spike your blood sugar, doesn’t matter if it’s sucrose, glucose, fructose.

And no, most carnivore diets don’t use carbs. It’s literally as close to zero carb intake as possible by definition. Keto uses carbs, but it’s still low carb, high fat. Carnivore is more extreme form of keto.

Diets that restrict carbs are not bs. It’s the way our ancestors ate. Mostly subsisting on animal fat and protein and a few carbs from fruits and berries when they were available. Same is true of grain and vegetables. Nothing like the 24/365 stuff you find in the grocery stores. There is way too much sugar in most people’s diets at present.

I'm pretty low carb with my diet with the exception of a few complex carbs like oats and sweet potatoes that serve a purpose and are used strategically. Weight loss is as simple as CICO...calories in, calories out. I never have carbs with dinner.

TRT is legit. And unfortunately for me, low t was genetic. I'm 30 and was ridiculously low when I got checked a few years ago. Huge improvement. Easily packed on about 30 lbs of muscle. Lifting significantly more weight. Your diet sounds solid. I'd seriously consider the trt. It's been around for decades and has proven quite safe and extremely effective. As long as your blood work is monitored consistently and everything remains in the healthy ranges, you don't really have much to worry about.

Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: BradyBuck] #8760130 12/17/22 04:36 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
dont ask me confused2

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: BradyBuck] #8760468 12/17/22 08:05 PM
N
nsmike Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Always eliminate B12 as a possible cause, it's a simple blood test, PPI drugs can permenantly inhibit your ability to absord B12. Here's a link https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-b12-deficiency-symptoms#The-bottom-line

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: BradyBuck] #8763655 12/21/22 11:12 PM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I am 47, and I've lost 91.8 pounds. I have never had low T...and I would be surprised if you did, but they can test you. However, watching your macros will help you with the low energy. I eat a lot of 'carbs'. CARBS ARE NOT BAD. However, refined sugars are...and you do need to be careful as to when you're consuming some fruits, like watermelon, simply because they can hinder your weight loss (better to eat those in the afternoon).

I eat watermelon, cantaloupe, blueberries, raspberries, radishes, cucumbers, onions, squash (I eat a LOT of squash (zucchini has less carbs than yellow does), sweet potatoes (rarely do I eat russets), pineapples, beans, asparagus, corn, etc. I also eat a lot of nuts and avocados to get healthy fats. I try to eat 4 to 5 sides with every meal...high volume of food that is very nutrient dense, but low calorie. It's made all the difference. It's not a diet, per se, but a healthier way to eat and keep the weight off.

You may also not be consuming enough calories to gain muscle mass. It takes time. I've been on this current journey since 9/1/21. I was very frustrated at first, but now I'm happy with the results. I have been getting a lot of compliments and I don't hate the way I look in the mirror anymore.

If you are not doing so, I would encourage you to watch your macros, and if you haven't you might want to get your b12 levels checked.

Re: My Weight Loss Journey and TRT? [Re: BradyBuck] #8763661 12/21/22 11:15 PM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
And as to your sleep levels, that could be stress, perhaps sleep apnea, your phone (make certain you have the blue light filter turned on), etc. Make certain you do not have any sugars for at least 2 hours before you go to bed. You may also want to get some blackout curtains. I bought some for $35 on Amazon...THE ABSOLUTE BEST BUY I'VE MADE ON AMAZON! Amazing the difference it makes to sleep in a completely blacked out room!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide