Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Will he make 13" [Re: griff7212] #8758801 12/15/22 08:54 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
That is a very young buck and anyone who thinks he is older than 2 and 13" or wider can pay your fine if you choose to kill him. Younger deer rarely are wider than they look like in photos. Ground shrinkage will be real.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Will he make 13" [Re: DQ Kid] #8758809 12/15/22 09:01 PM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Originally Posted by Davis300
DQ - I do not see 3.5+ in that deer at all.

Griff - hoping your daughter smokes one real soon!

I see a rutted down 3-3.5, what were you thinking, a yearling?

Not a yearling but 2.5 max in my opinion.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: Texas452] #8758814 12/15/22 09:07 PM
R
reeder05 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Texas452
Originally Posted by reeder05
Originally Posted by ctonsmitty
I agree----too close and he is indeed young, give him a pass this season.

Y'all are missing the point... The man is asking a question about width, not for your management opinion.

Cut the guy some slack, he is trying to get his DAUGHTER her first deer!!

That said, I don't think he'll make the 13" requirement.

I did say too close, did you read that, the two kind of go together.
Too close to take a chance on, and too young to be wide enough.
Cut her some slack, it’s her first deer, if illegal so what?

Apologies, but I didn't quote you to begin with.

But did you not read the OP? Did he ask for your thought on age? Not trying to single you out here, but far too many people are concerned about the deer's age versus the question about being of legal width.

And to answer you question, if it were my daughter, no. But when I take my daughter on her first deer hunt, any legal deer that makes her happy is getting shot. We will start worrying about age on second deer.

Wife has always wanted some Hard 8
Re: Will he make 13" [Re: Davis300] #8758821 12/15/22 09:11 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Agreed, yearling or 2.5 max. I would bet the farm it's not 3.5.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: Davis300] #8758828 12/15/22 09:17 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

^^^^^^ The right age IMO....but what do we know. rolleyes

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: griff7212] #8758836 12/15/22 09:23 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The question was he wide enough. What the F does age have to do with it? Man some of you guys have lost your way.

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: jskin] #8758851 12/15/22 09:36 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by jskin
The question was he wide enough. What the F does age have to do with it? Man some of you guys have lost your way.

Age has a lot to do with guessing how wide he is. He is not fully grown so his antlers will look wider and larger than they really are. Those who understand the correlation of the 2 get it.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: jskin] #8758862 12/15/22 09:46 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

A 2 yr old deers ears aren’t as wide as a 4 yr old deer in most circumstances. That needs to be considered when attempting to tell if a deer will be wide enough. TPWD says use the ears to approximate width but age plays a part in making an educated guess.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: JABHunting] #8758867 12/15/22 09:49 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by JABHunting
text the picture to one of the GW in your County and ask them. My son was 15yo and did this with a deer on the camera. The GW said "yes, I think that one will make it but not by much". When he got the deer, he had already printed out a copy of the text message exchange and laminated it. He attached it right to the antler with his tag, since he was not with an adult at the moment. His older brother went and got him and the deer. They were confident if they got stopped, they were okay. The deer was literally right at 13-inches if you put a tape in the right spot. Move the tape up or down a hair and it could be just shy of the mark. If the GW says "No", be prepared to leave that deer alone.

A game warden doesn’t have the authority to allow someone to break the rules. If your son had shot that deer and it was 12 1/2 and another GW checked it he would have been fined and the deer taken away. It’s that simple.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: stxranchman] #8758875 12/15/22 09:56 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Age has a lot to do with guessing how wide he is. He is not fully grown so his antlers will look wider and larger than they really are. Those who understand the correlation of the 2 get it.

yingyang

FWIW, there are some folks on here who are terrible at aging and scoring and some who are good at it. Figure out the ones who know what they're talking about and ignore the others. (not directed at Stx)

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: griff7212] #8758881 12/15/22 10:03 PM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
In the same dilemma choosing a buck for my son to take. Either of these bucks look smaller than 13" to you guys? Took the video last Saturday morning watching deer and will sit in the same blind this Sat with my kiddo.

bucks galore
https://youtube.com/watch?v=raXv2Q7pxBQ&feature=share

Thanks!

Last edited by 71Rcode; 12/15/22 10:04 PM.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Will he make 13" [Re: 71Rcode] #8758882 12/15/22 10:07 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by 71Rcode
In the same dilemma choosing a buck for my son to take. Either of these bucks look smaller than 13" to you guys? Took the video last Saturday morning watching deer and will sit in the same blind this Sat with my kiddo.

bucks galore

Thanks!

In that video the buck on the far left is the oldest and looks to be the widest, IMO. All 3 of those look wider than the OP's deer.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: 71Rcode] #8758892 12/15/22 10:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by 71Rcode

bucks galore

Thanks!

I had to take a Dramamine to watch that.... grin From what little video you had off the far left buck he did not look wide enough. None of them look over 13" nor older than 2 in that video IMO. They may look much different in person.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: griff7212] #8758909 12/15/22 10:35 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
TPWD does not reference age when estimating width unless I missed that part. They solely reference ears to get to your 13 inches. Yes nature would say a young bucks ears are not as big as a mature buck. But if you can prove your buck meets the ear criteria I would find it very hard for a GW to issue a ticket if it was shy. Be honest and prove your case.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: jskin] #8758913 12/15/22 10:39 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
TPWD does not reference age when estimating width unless I missed that part. They solely reference ears to get to your 13 inches. Yes nature would say a young bucks ears are not as big as a mature buck. But if you can prove your buck meets the ear criteria I would find it very hard for a GW to issue a ticket if it was shy. Be honest and prove your case.

They measure inside spread and not ear width on a deer. Show me where they do it differently and I am on your side. If you as an adult are there when the young hunter kills the deer they will get a ticket. Won't be any case no matter how much you talk to them. If the young hunter is alone it will be up to GW to decide what he does next.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: griff7212] #8758918 12/15/22 10:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I hunted an AR county for 8 yrs and the first buck I let my Dad kill I was certain he was over 14" inside if not 15" inside. When we walked up to him..I thought " Oh crap, he make not be 13" ". Luckily he was 13 6/8" after a quick tape measure. That was a first experience and a learning experience when guessing width. All deer ear widths are not equal and vary greatly from region to region ....and even in the same region or even same ranch.. I killed deer that were barely over ear width and were 17" on that place and deer just barely over 13" to 14" wide.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: stxranchman] #8758922 12/15/22 10:46 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

They measure inside spread and not ear width on a deer. Show me where they do it differently and I am on your side. If you as an adult are there when the young hunter kills the deer they will get a ticket. Won't be any case no matter how much you talk to them. If the young hunter is alone it will be up to GW to decide what he does next.

I understand the inside spread. But the ears are used as a reference in all pics. I’m just arguing you guys who are saying young vs old ear size etc.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: jskin] #8758928 12/15/22 10:51 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I understand the inside spread. But the ears are used as a reference in all pics. I’m just arguing you guys who are saying young vs old ear size etc.

That is the only reference they could use for width. They know that ear width varies and take that into account. That is why 13" is used. If that deer was 3 or 4 or older and ear wide for width he would be legal. He isn't that old so he isn't that wide IMO from the pics. It doesn't matter to the GW how wide the deers ears are....it is a 13" inside rule.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: stxranchman] #8758937 12/15/22 10:58 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

That is the only reference they could use for width. They know that ear width varies and take that into account. That is why 13" is used. If that deer was 3 or 4 or older and ear wide for width he would be legal. He isn't that old so he isn't that wide IMO from the pics. It doesn't matter to the GW how wide the deers ears are....it is a 13" inside rule.

So they expect the average hunter to age deer now. No, they use ears to reference because that’s the only thing all hunters can understand to reference 13 inches. Everyone associates outside the ears as legal. If not referencing ears there’s no way to field judge for common hunter period

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: griff7212] #8758939 12/15/22 11:01 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
All I’m saying is if you shoot a buck outside his ears and he falls short and you get a ticket I’d be surprised. But I would call the GW and show him.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: griff7212] #8758942 12/15/22 11:04 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Sucks you even have to worry about it. Don't get me started. hammer

Last edited by Curly; 12/15/22 11:06 PM.
Re: Will he make 13" [Re: jskin] #8758947 12/15/22 11:08 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
All I’m saying is if you shoot a buck outside his ears and he falls short and you get a ticket I’d be surprised. But I would call the GW and show him.

They are going to pull out tape measure to measure inside spread width period. You can make your case as he writes you a ticket.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: jskin] #8758951 12/15/22 11:10 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Last year there were 22 illegal deer killed on Ft Hood as in under 13 inches. Every single one was taken, hunters fined, and suspended from hunting on Ft Hood for 30 days by the game wardens. Some I personally seen and they were barely outside the ears. The one thing they all had in common is they were young.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: jskin] #8758956 12/15/22 11:17 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
[quote=stxranchman]

So they expect the average hunter to age deer now. No, they use ears to reference because that’s the only thing all hunters can understand to reference 13 inches. Everyone associates outside the ears as legal. If not referencing ears there’s no way to field judge for common hunter period

No they expect them to understand the deer still has to be 13" inside. That ear width is a base for estimating spread not a guarantee. I was at meetings GWs were asked this question. They always replied that if the deer was that close to pass on it and keep hunting. https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/wildlife_management/deer/antler_restrictions/ Scroll down and read when you see the photo of a buck with red width references. They say " Ears in the alert position are approximately 13" apart and may be used to judge the inside spread". It is still the inside spread that will be measured not ear width. It is just used as a reference no matter what the age of the deer is.
The buck in OP photos doesn't show him looking at the camera with alert ears either. I think this would be a mute issue if he had that pic instead of what he has.

Re: Will he make 13" [Re: Curly] #8758958 12/15/22 11:19 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Curly
Sucks you even have to worry about it. Don't get me started. hammer

welcome bolt

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3