Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Income from land [Re: Mr. T.] #8744330 11/28/22 04:21 PM
JimBridger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
There are some other items that you need to look at before you buy any land.
1. is it AG exempt.......if not walk away.
2. Does it have electric.........cost of bringing it to the property could be prohibitive.
3. Does it have water..........same as electric or digging a well.
4. Fences....what shape are they in.
5. Tanks....got any water for wildlife on your property?
6. Land gets cheaper the farther you are from metroplex. How far are you willing to drive?
7. Cost of building a house or bringing in a trailer to stay in or staying in near by motel.
Even with all these headaches, it is worth it to own your own dirt.
My best advice is to buy something a couples of hours from the big city that is Ag exempt. keep it that way
by raising hay if you can. If not change it to wild life exempt. They enjoy all the hard work you are going to
have to do and the fruits of your labor.

Sound advise!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Income from land [Re: TXB4] #8745079 11/29/22 04:56 AM
T
TXB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Definitely sounds like great advice. I appreciate it!

Re: Income from land [Re: maximus_flavius] #8745521 11/29/22 08:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
If you think leasing hunting rights to a buncha [censored] is a PITA, just wait til you lease grazing rights for cows.

There is no good way to make any appreciable income from property.

That’s easy. Dictate maximum number or voids lease, Catch more in what’s on lease, terminate the lease properly and have sheriffs take cattle to sale barn to be picked up by owner.

The owner will incur the transportation and feed bill via the Barn.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Income from land [Re: TXB4] #8745615 11/29/22 09:35 PM
W
Westtexan1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Buy land with a CRP contract. It probably won’t be the most aesthetically pleasing piece of property but you’ll get income without having to deal with people on your place with a guaranteed payer for the duration of the contract. Hunting can be pretty good especially where there is mule deer.

Re: Income from land [Re: TXB4] #8745637 11/29/22 10:03 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
the only way you make money on land is to buy land
and sell it later

grazing, hunting leases etc ... are enough to offset taxes
and maybe few hundred left in your pocket

I've had people asking to lease 1acre from me for gardening
at $2500 acre, but I have to provide water.

buy land , work the land , and just make sure you have other
source of steady income

enjoy your time in the woods is worth all the expenses

Re: Income from land [Re: don k] #8748744 12/03/22 02:59 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by don k
The only way to make income off land is to buy it cheap and sell it high. I raise Nubian Ibex plus have a few cows to keep the grass down. I could make more working at a Whataburger part time.

This. Cows can make you a little money, but it's also work.

Re: Income from land [Re: don k] #8749040 12/03/22 09:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I make money off my land, infact I’ve reinvested every dividend it gave back into more, but there have been tough years that I had to add extra to make notes. It’s all trade offs. You could have pretty views and lots of wild life but shallow soil and limited income. Or no views, wild winds cold winters and some wildlife but decent yearly dividend
My trade off is its not pretty land, with less wildlife, but great soil. I do have pronghorn, ducks, geese, pheasants, a few elk, few mule deer and few whitetails come through.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Income from land [Re: Westtexan1] #8749055 12/03/22 09:18 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Westtexan1
Buy land with a CRP contract. It probably won’t be the most aesthetically pleasing piece of property but you’ll get income without having to deal with people on your place with a guaranteed payer for the duration of the contract. Hunting can be pretty good especially where there is mule deer.

Becareful with this, 95% of the time you will make more money farming or even crop sharing. There is no Guarantee that it will get renewed, if it doesn’t get renewed you either will spend a bunch of money getting it back to tillable land or just get seasonal grazing lease . With said there are a few jewel ms out there that some how beat the system on their contract rates.

I highly suggest anyone wanting to do CRP set it up on a modified grazing/haying plan.

Re: Income from land [Re: TXB4] #8750452 12/05/22 05:14 PM
T
TXB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Thanks for the input Bobo

Re: Income from land [Re: TXB4] #8751211 12/06/22 02:16 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TXB4

Anytime! There are always a few jewels that offer both. A while back I got the great pleasure of hunting a very unique property in panhandle few hours south of mine, it’s was 2 sections, essentially a mesa that was in pasture grass and winter wheat, but was bordered by deep gorgeous canyons on three sides. They now run a direct to consumer model on Akaushi beef, and crop share out the winter wheat. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy road getting the ranch paid for and to get the herd to what it is now, but they have a pretty good dividend from Cattle, Farming and hunting.

Not saying it’s an easy road or odds are in your favor, but you want it bad enough and can sacrifice a few conveniences and views you may end up with a pretty decent retirement property. It can be done.

Re: Income from land [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8752413 12/07/22 08:25 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by TXB4

Anytime! There are always a few jewels that offer both. A while back I got the great pleasure of hunting a very unique property in panhandle few hours south of mine, it’s was 2 sections, essentially a mesa that was in pasture grass and winter wheat, but was bordered by deep gorgeous canyons on three sides. They now run a direct to consumer model on Akaushi beef, and crop share out the winter wheat. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy road getting the ranch paid for and to get the herd to what it is now, but they have a pretty good dividend from Cattle, Farming and hunting.

Not saying it’s an easy road or odds are in your favor, but you want it bad enough and can sacrifice a few conveniences and views you may end up with a pretty decent retirement property. It can be done.

Easy is key word

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide