Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8745406 11/29/22 05:44 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
On these ranches that are on leased land, BLM land, as I understand it, what they originally leased were GRAZING RIGHTS. Hunting rights, etc. were not leased. It would be similar to me owning 100 acres and the guy next door says he'll pay me $100 a year to let his cattle graze on my land. He didn't lease the whole "bundle of rights". In any event, on these larger ranches the issue came up back during the Charles Goodnight years about putting fences on the public land that you leased for grazing. The argument was the cattle would otherwise run off so the courts said, okay. Put up fences. Then the issue of wells, bunk houses, etc.-those things needed to run a ranch so the courts again said okay. Pretty soon the ranch assumed total control of the property.
But that doesn't address the access issue. I was recently over in Arkansas in Ozark National Forest. House after house along the roads- how do you get to the "public land".

Re: Is it public land [Re: Dave Scott] #8745416 11/29/22 05:55 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
On these ranches that are on leased land, BLM land, as I understand it, what they originally leased were GRAZING RIGHTS. Hunting rights, etc. were not leased. It would be similar to me owning 100 acres and the guy next door says he'll pay me $100 a year to let his cattle graze on my land. He didn't lease the whole "bundle of rights". In any event, on these larger ranches the issue came up back during the Charles Goodnight years about putting fences on the public land that you leased for grazing. The argument was the cattle would otherwise run off so the courts said, okay. Put up fences. Then the issue of wells, bunk houses, etc.-those things needed to run a ranch so the courts again said okay. Pretty soon the ranch assumed total control of the property.
But that doesn't address the access issue. I was recently over in Arkansas in Ozark National Forest. House after house along the roads- how do you get to the "public land".

Only public land leases that include hunting rights are typically state land leases, also know as school leases. Those leases are mandated by state constitutions in terms of maximizing revenue for the state. They typically go to a public auction and highest better gets full usage for that lease period.

This issue here isn’t that the LO has leased grazing rights it’s that they posted no trespassing on corners where 2 of the 4 corners they own. The question is that breaching that corner space of a posted property constitute trespass.

As far as hunting any non restricted unit tag would be valid on that federal land, unless it was a ranch only tag, then the tag would be restricted to that specific land ownership.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8745432 11/29/22 06:22 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Corner crossing should not be an issue.

If Jerry Jones can use the government to claim eminent domain for a stadium. Or a gas line across pastures. Why won’t they use it for a 10’ walk easement?

Last edited by ducknbass; 11/29/22 06:26 PM.
Re: Is it public land [Re: ducknbass] #8745442 11/29/22 06:30 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ducknbass

If Jerry Jones can use the government to claim eminent domain for a stadium. Or a gas line across pastures. Why won’t they use it for. 10’ walk easement?

That's a good point. But there's probably not a wealthy power broker with attorneys like Jerry Jones wanting corner crossing rights.

Isn't it mostly just regular people/hunters looking for access, middle to upper-middle class?

To be determined
Re: Is it public land [Re: Dave Scott] #8745452 11/29/22 06:37 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I was recently over in Arkansas in Ozark National Forest. House after house along the roads- how do you get to the "public land".

I grew up in that region and know it very well. Was there all last week out near White Rock. As an outsider, you need to study the national forest web site, quadrangle maps, google maps and onX. Some places are definitely not easy to get to but are often accessible if you do your homework. Call the local forest service office. But have your research done beforehand so you can have some good questions.

To be determined
Re: Is it public land [Re: ducknbass] #8745496 11/29/22 07:40 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

If Jerry Jones can use the government to claim eminent domain for a stadium. Or a gas line across pastures. Why won’t they use it for a 10’ walk easement?

I don’t disagree and LO should get compensated. But only on corner crossings, if it’s landlocked then I wouldn’t mandate an easement that wasn’t their when they bought or where deeded the land

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Is it public land [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8745503 11/29/22 07:50 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted by Wytex
Wow, lots of misinformation here but carry on, it is very entertaining.

I believe you have a lot of personal experience based on where you live. This is an interesting thread. What are a couple of examples of the misinformation? Your experience could be helpful.

Lots of background on those hunters and that ranch. It has been put all over the hunting forums. They hunted it before.
Corner crossing and accessing landlocked public lands are completely different things.
State lands have different uses and regulations in the different states, BOBO has touched on that quite nicely.
Montana has a law directly addressing corner crossing , it is illegal there I believe.
SD has public access via section lines too for hunting. Something to that affect.

This civil case will probably help determine if Wyoming tries to address corner crossing with legislation, they have brought up bills already.
Lots of public access to private lands in that county has now been lost, land owners are mad. They are trying to get laws passed now on this.

The Feds created this mess by giving land to companies, RRs and the such for settlement and expansion.

Personally I think corner crossing should be legal, demanding access to landlocked public lands not so much.

Re: Is it public land [Re: Wytex] #8745509 11/29/22 08:00 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Wow, lots of misinformation here but carry on, it is very entertaining.

I believe you have a lot of personal experience based on where you live. This is an interesting thread. What are a couple of examples of the misinformation? Your experience could be helpful.

Lots of background on those hunters and that ranch. It has been put all over the hunting forums. They hunted it before.
Corner crossing and accessing landlocked public lands are completely different things.
State lands have different uses and regulations in the different states, BOBO has touched on that quite nicely.
Montana has a law directly addressing corner crossing , it is illegal there I believe.
SD has public access via section lines too for hunting. Something to that affect.

This civil case will probably help determine if Wyoming tries to address corner crossing with legislation, they have brought up bills already.
Lots of public access to private lands in that county has now been lost, land owners are mad. They are trying to get laws passed now on this.

The Feds created this mess by giving land to companies, RRs and the such for settlement and expansion.

Personally I think corner crossing should be legal, demanding access to landlocked public lands not so much.

Oh!!! I didn’t know they were ex-clients. Now that’s interesting and makes more sense why the civil suit was filed the way it was!! That civil suit one would think would hold more water now, and makes a lot more sense.

Re: Is it public land [Re: ducknbass] #8745539 11/29/22 08:22 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

People always seem quick to being agreeable to somebody else giving up their rights, but most people are not real thrilled with being in the same position and giving up their rights.

Why should they grant an easement? If they did not buy the property with an easement, then why should they give up part of their rights to the property for which they paid? Who will pay for the replatting? Maybe the landowner should also pay for others to have access to their property?

As for Jerry Jones, that was just downright wrong and two wrongs definitely don't make a right. HOWEVER, if you want to try to get your team of lawyers together and get local laws to change to enact eminent domain, you can. That would be part of due process, but don't expect the landowner to pay for any of it.

The problem with easements is that if the person who uses the easement isn't a good neighbor, they can become a pain in the arse. So it would be nice if the landowner would rollover and give up their rights in hopes that the current neighbor and subsequent owners of the property or random hunters are good people, but we know that isn't always the case. We have all read the threads about ill behaved lease members to know that a goodly portion of the hunting population aren't the nicest of people. Why invite the risk of that on yourself, especially with public land where every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jane may be crossing your property at any time of the day or night?

Here, I speak from experience. I have had non-utility crossing easements on two properties that have been trouble. One easement, I paid to have removed, but not before the other landowner had pin flags strewn across my property marking the easement they wanted to keep. They weren't using it and they had other access to their property down their own road to the hardtop, but they felt that they owned the easement and didn't want me fencing the property to disallow use of "their" easement. They felt the easement added value to their property by having two directions of access and that removal of the easement would devalue their property. The lawyer and I went before the judge and presented why the easement was no longer valid and needed to be removed. The judge agreed. Of course, I had to play for all of this, including the replatting.

On the other easement, I had guys park their vehicles in my pasture, off of the easement, when visiting my neighbor that had the easement. My neighbor didn't stop them from using my pasture has his parking lot. That neighbor was visibly bothered that I had embarrassed him in front of his guests by making them move their trucks and by golly offered to buy the easement from me for what I spent on it several years earlier (not actual market value). I declined his offer and suggested we just go with current market value and he covers all the costs including new fencing and he agreed to it as long as the easement was over 100' wide. He also wanted me to pay for an appraisal so that he could be sure that I don't inflate the market value. All of a sudden, the change has gone from a fraction of an acre to several acres on what is a small property and costing me money to sell property I don't want to sell. I declined. The easement was never sold to the landowner and the landowner has sense died and stopped being a problem, but he literally bothered me for years to sell him several acres at his price.

Avoid getting saddled with such crossing easements where you can. They are NOT to the benefit of the landowner of the property on which the easement is placed.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Is it public land [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8745621 11/29/22 09:43 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

People always seem quick to being agreeable to somebody else giving up their rights, but most people are not real thrilled with being in the same position and giving up their rights.

Why should they grant an easement? If they did not buy the property with an easement, then why should they give up part of their rights to the property for which they paid? Who will pay for the replatting? Maybe the landowner should also pay for others to have access to their property?

As for Jerry Jones, that was just downright wrong and two wrongs definitely don't make a right. HOWEVER, if you want to try to get your team of lawyers together and get local laws to change to enact eminent domain, you can. That would be part of due process, but don't expect the landowner to pay for any of it.

The problem with easements is that if the person who uses the easement isn't a good neighbor, they can become a pain in the arse. So it would be nice if the landowner would rollover and give up their rights in hopes that the current neighbor and subsequent owners of the property or random hunters are good people, but we know that isn't always the case. We have all read the threads about ill behaved lease members to know that a goodly portion of the hunting population aren't the nicest of people. Why invite the risk of that on yourself, especially with public land where every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jane may be crossing your property at any time of the day or night?

Here, I speak from experience. I have had non-utility crossing easements on two properties that have been trouble. One easement, I paid to have removed, but not before the other landowner had pin flags strewn across my property marking the easement they wanted to keep. They weren't using it and they had other access to their property down their own road to the hardtop, but they felt that they owned the easement and didn't want me fencing the property to disallow use of "their" easement. They felt the easement added value to their property by having two directions of access and that removal of the easement would devalue their property. The lawyer and I went before the judge and presented why the easement was no longer valid and needed to be removed. The judge agreed. Of course, I had to play for all of this, including the replatting.

On the other easement, I had guys park their vehicles in my pasture, off of the easement, when visiting my neighbor that had the easement. My neighbor didn't stop them from using my pasture has his parking lot. That neighbor was visibly bothered that I had embarrassed him in front of his guests by making them move their trucks and by golly offered to buy the easement from me for what I spent on it several years earlier (not actual market value). I declined his offer and suggested we just go with current market value and he covers all the costs including new fencing and he agreed to it as long as the easement was over 100' wide. He also wanted me to pay for an appraisal so that he could be sure that I don't inflate the market value. All of a sudden, the change has gone from a fraction of an acre to several acres on what is a small property and costing me money to sell property I don't want to sell. I declined. The easement was never sold to the landowner and the landowner has sense died and stopped being a problem, but he literally bothered me for years to sell him several acres at his price.

Avoid getting saddled with such crossing easements where you can. They are NOT to the benefit of the landowner of the property on which the easement is placed.

Let’s draw a circle of 4 squares making 1 big square. You own one square and lose a little of a corner so that 2 squares connect. Oh there goes the farm. That corner in western states grazes nothing. We’re not talking about someone buying up against your house. Nobody “rights” are being abused. In this situation being discussed the owner treats the government property as part of his ranch guiding hunts. Someone accessed it by corner crossing and got sued. This isn’t Someone parking on your property. Or even driving it. This is foot traffic.

Last edited by ducknbass; 11/29/22 09:45 PM.
Re: Is it public land [Re: ducknbass] #8745649 11/29/22 10:18 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Let’s draw a circle of 4 squares making 1 big square. You own one square and lose a little of a corner so that 2 squares connect. Oh there goes the farm. That corner in western states grazes nothing. We’re not talking about someone buying up against your house. Nobody “rights” are being abused. In this situation being discussed the owner treats the government property as part of his ranch guiding hunts. Someone accessed it by corner crossing and got sued. This isn’t Someone parking on your property. Or even driving it. This is foot traffic.

This is adoption of laws or easements that weren’t there when you bought the place. That’s my issue, it also challenges the space trespassing laws and could weaken retort for other trespassing violations. If you backed up to COE would you be real happy if government put an easement going past your bed room window and through back yard? No you wouldn’t.

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8745664 11/29/22 10:33 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Why must you argue with fake scenarios? Bedroom windows etc? Lol

I’ll tell this story about Dee Walker my grandfather. When county widened the rd he was on he refused their money paid to have his house moved back off the rd further.
Then the state made it a highway. He again refused their money and moved his house again.

Then the city started charging him .50 on his water bill for trash service. Problem being he burnt his trash. He sued the city and swore he’d take it to the Supreme Court he wasn’t paying for services he wasn’t using.

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8745776 11/30/22 01:04 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
By the responses, it's pretty easy to see who the folks are on here who don't own any land.

Re: Is it public land [Re: ducknbass] #8745840 11/30/22 02:16 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Why must you argue with fake scenarios? Bedroom windows etc? Lol

I’ll tell this story about Dee Walker my grandfather. When county widened the rd he was on he refused their money paid to have his house moved back off the rd further.
Then the state made it a highway. He again refused their money and moved his house again.

Then the city started charging him .50 on his water bill for trash service. Problem being he burnt his trash. He sued the city and swore he’d take it to the Supreme Court he wasn’t paying for services he wasn’t using.

Lol, by the window could be 5’ or 100yards… the point being…. You wouldn’t have bought that land and built that house knowing government was going to for center an easement so people could access the COE land behind your house.

I admit I’m highly cautious of new laws or regulations that seem to have good intent… but could deteriorate other things pretty quickly. I can’t image why under the current administration

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8745869 11/30/22 02:50 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Okay if the corner bring granted the WALK easement is within 100 yards of house we’ll circle the wagons.

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8745962 11/30/22 11:56 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
By their responses, you can tell who have never hunted in the “west”

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8746156 11/30/22 04:32 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
BOBO the guys did the same thing the year before, just didn't have a ladder that year. They were not clients but a festering thorn.
GW would not cite them that year.
They may have hunted there a few times and the LO just got fed up and talked the Sheriff into citing them.

We deal with corners for the ranch we work for, I made it known to the GW corner crossing is not an issue for us. They can do it just stay on public to hunt.
There are a few say 40 acres spots of BLM within the ranch borders that are at least 1 mile or more from public roads, some farther. No way in heck folks should be able to walk across a mile of private land to hunt it.

What may well happen is the feds selling landlocked lands to the rancher, be wary of what you push for . Some states want Fed land turned over to them, not a good idea.

I can say this area has been looked at by hunters for many years looking for access. It is a nice sized mountain right next to the NF. Some access was around before the big ranch was bought, a bunch of private cabins are at the base of Elk Mt and some owners would let hunters through. Still that way in some spots but the ranch sale affected that access.

We just need some kind of court ruling or law to clear this up. I'm afraid our state legislature will address this and hunters will not like what they do.

Re: Is it public land [Re: Wytex] #8746240 11/30/22 05:42 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
BOBO the guys did the same thing the year before, just didn't have a ladder that year. They were not clients but a festering thorn.
They may have hunted there a few times and the LO just got fed up and talked the Sheriff into citing them.

We deal with corners for the ranch we work for, I made it known to the GW corner crossing is not an issue for us. They can do it just stay on public to hunt.
There are a few say 40 acres spots of BLM within the ranch borders that are at least 1 mile or more from public roads, some farther. No way in heck folks should be able to walk across a mile of private land to hunt it.

What may well happen is the feds selling landlocked lands to the rancher, be wary of what you push for . Some states want Fed land turned over to them, not a good idea.

I can say this area has been looked at by hunters for many years looking for access. It is a nice sized mountain right next to the NF. Some access was around before the big ranch was bought, a bunch of private cabins are at the base of Elk Mt and some owners would let hunters through. Still that way in some spots but the ranch sale affected that access.

We just need some kind of court ruling or law to clear this up. I'm afraid our state legislature will address this and hunters will not like what they do.

I agree we need the issue settled one way or another...at the state level. I don't want the feds deciding this and I don't want a land swap. Maybe set the corner airspace at 6 ft and be done with it. You get above 6 ft your ok. below your not. Dunno. Just wished it was settled. I've scouted that patchwork in south central WY and just didn't want to risk it and didn't want to bother the LO or ranch foreman. But a lot of good pronghorn can walk around in one square mile.

Some of the information you've provided was not in anything I have read or heard. I knew they had hunted there before. Were there other issues beside corner crossing that caused the LO to take this stance? What I've read implies not but we don't always...scratch that...we always don't get the whole story. Just human nature.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Is it public land [Re: ducknbass] #8746268 11/30/22 06:11 PM
D
DonPablo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
This isn’t Someone parking on your property. Or even driving it. This is foot traffic.

If ladder crossings were put in by the feds, it wouldn't even be foot traffic. People would merely be touching and breathing a little of the LO's air. rolleyes If disallowing this is good law, I want a law saying that anyone walking down the sidewalk who my doorbell camera catches swinging they're arms over my lawn must pay me $50. This includes kids walking home from school. grin Someone, tell me how such an idea is absurd while the corner crossing prohibition is not.

Of course the down side is the feds would build the ladder crossings at a cost of about $2 million and would take several decades to complete the projects. bang

Re: Is it public land [Re: DonPablo] #8746302 11/30/22 06:54 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DonPablo
This isn’t Someone parking on your property. Or even driving it. This is foot traffic.

If ladder crossings were put in by the feds, it wouldn't even be foot traffic. People would merely be touching and breathing a little of the LO's air. rolleyes If disallowing this is good law, I want a law saying that anyone walking down the sidewalk who my doorbell camera catches swinging they're arms over my lawn must pay me $50. This includes kids walking home from school. grin Someone, tell me how such an idea is absurd while the corner crossing prohibition is not.

Of course the down side is the feds would build the ladder crossings at a cost of about $2 million and would take several decades to complete the projects. bang

Become an Indian reservation. That’s exactly what they do with federal land, charge to cross.

With that said that sidewalk was an easement before you bought your house. An easement after the fact would be a little aggravating I image. Be like utility company putting pole through your back yard, or watching people hope your fence every day.

Re: Is it public land [Re: Wytex] #8746309 11/30/22 07:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Gotcha, if they were previous clients that would have made more sense in law suit.

I’d personally would let people corner cross on my place but not walk across. With that said It should be an option not a mandate.

Very seldom do people win when they try to force the issue. You are right though the LO’s are going to win, it’s an easy argument in defense of Private Property rights especially in a Red state.

Re: Is it public land [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8746315 11/30/22 07:13 PM
D
DonPablo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
With that said that sidewalk was an easement before you bought your house. An easement after the fact would be a little aggravating I image. Be like utility company putting pole through your back yard, or watching people hope your fence every day.

No sir, it doesn’t need to be seen as an easement to compare the scenarios. These ranches likely abutted up to public land when they were purchased. My property (lawn) abuts up to public land (the sidewalk) and always has. People swinging their arms over my lawn is just as invasive as people climbing over < 200 square ft of the rancher’s air space. His property rights (over air space) are no more important than mine. To argue otherwise would be elitist. In neither scenario are the public in a position to peek into anyone’s bedroom. rolleyes

Re: Is it public land [Re: DonPablo] #8746343 11/30/22 07:47 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

No sir, it doesn’t need to be seen as an easement to compare the scenarios. These ranches likely abutted up to public land when they were purchased. My property (lawn) abuts up to public land (the sidewalk) and always has. People swinging their arms over my lawn is just as invasive as people climbing over < 200 square ft of the rancher’s air space. His property rights (over air space) are no more important than mine. To argue otherwise would be elitist. In neither scenario are the public in a position to peek into anyone’s bedroom. rolleyes

Yes Bobo keeps injecting fake scenarios into his argument. Next he’ll say that their using the home owners toilet as an out house.

Re: Is it public land [Re: DonPablo] #8746419 11/30/22 09:54 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

Actually you have this wrong DP. The sidewalk in front of your house is not public land. It is untaxed part of your land the public has an easement to use for non motorized traffic. The grass between the curb and the sidewalk is also your land. When you bought the property it is in your deed or at least in the original deed.
There is no easement on the property owners property in question in Wyoming and it would be virtually impossible for the government to force an easement.

Re: Is it public land [Re: huntwest] #8746455 11/30/22 10:27 PM
D
DonPablo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by huntwest
Actually you have this wrong DP. The sidewalk in front of your house is not public land. It is untaxed part of your land the public has an easement to use for non motorized traffic. The grass between the curb and the sidewalk is also your land. When you bought the property it is in your deed or at least in the original deed.
There is no easement on the property owners property in question in Wyoming and it would be virtually impossible for the government to force an easement.

You're missing the point and splitting hairs. My lawn buts up to the sidewalk which is accessible to the public and did from the time that I bought it. The ranch buts up to public land and likely always has since the time when it was purchased. Someone waving arms over my lawn it's just as invasive as someone climbing a ladder over the airspace occupied by the corner crossing. Easement or not, it's essentially the same situation.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide