tigger Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8742918 11/26/22 09:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
If Indian reservations can control access to other peoples private land. Landowners can control access to their property.

This has been an on going fight for a while. I see both sides but the end of the day, America was founded on private property rights, not public access

Corner crossing should remain illegal but at the very least you should be fined if you touch the fence.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8742943 11/26/22 09:50 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Colorado addressed the corner crossing issues through land trades. There is no legitimate reason for private land owners to control access to publicly funded land.
It’s not uncommon for land owners, who own thousands of acres, to harass hunters that are legally hunting public land that adjoins their property.

Last edited by JimBridger; 11/26/22 09:55 PM.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8742982 11/26/22 10:44 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Sticky subject here. I’m very pro-private property but, at the same time, my tax dollars go to fund national forests and blm lands. The landowner certainly didn’t pay for the 11k acres worth of out tracts so why should he get to enjoy it free of charge while the public who own the same percentage he does gets locked out. In Texas he would likely get sued for an access easement to the property, so crossing a corner is much less burdensome then a prescriptive easement granted by the courts.

I’ve hunted in Wyoming on BLM lands that were checkerboarded with private lands and pre-OnX or LandGlide it was a PITA knowing what property you were on.

My opinion is that the public should have access to these lands, if by no other mean than corner crossing. Doesent mean it is gonna be easy access, but should be allowed to corner cross

Article is horribly written as well….”big, high powered rifles”….smdh. Makes it sound like they rolled in a howitzer.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8742989 11/26/22 11:00 PM
W
Wool E. Booger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
If they control the access and are the only ones who can access it it, then they should be taxed on the public property like it is theirs, at a very high tax rate.

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8742994 11/26/22 11:02 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I used to let people access public land through a ranch. The public is such a joy to deal with. Not anymore.

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8743005 11/26/22 11:22 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Serious question. What if you helicoptered in?

To be determined
Re: Is it public land [Re: ntxtrapper] #8743010 11/26/22 11:25 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I used to let people access public land through a ranch. The public is such a joy to deal with. Not anymore.

Exactly. If there isn't an easement through my property, I am not going to grant one. Just because you don't have access to some place on the other side of my property isn't my problem. It isn't that I would be "controlling access" to said public land. I am controlling access to MY land. If you want to drive around long ways, helicopter in, or parachute, that is fine by me. I won't stop you from accessing public lands. I will stop you from accessing my land if no easement exists.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Is it public land [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8743015 11/26/22 11:30 PM
W
Wool E. Booger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

According to the article, the court decided that the land owner owns the airspace over the land also, so no access by air either.

Re: Is it public land [Re: Wool E. Booger] #8743019 11/26/22 11:33 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Wool E. Booger

According to the article, the court decided that the land owner owns the airspace over the land also, so no access by air either.

Interesting. They could then go after aircraft and airliners for trespassing.

To be determined
Re: Is it public land [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8743023 11/26/22 11:35 PM
W
Wool E. Booger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W

I’m sure there is probably a ceiling on the airspace that they own, so you could probably helicopter in as long as you didn’t get below the ceiling. I’m just guessing though. I did stay at a holiday inn express last night roflmao

Re: Is it public land [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8743055 11/27/22 12:23 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

https://www.landsearch.com/blog/property-air-rights

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8743103 11/27/22 01:24 AM
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Since the original post was a discussion of publicly owned landlocked or corner to corner public land connected to private land it would appear that a helicopter should be able to fly within authorized air space over private land and still land on land locked public land. Western states however generally only allow access to these properties by the public if they are connected to a public road or right of way. An adjoining landowner however has no such restrictions. These land owners are allowed in most cases to use the public property as if it were their own.

Last edited by JimBridger; 11/27/22 01:25 AM.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8743112 11/27/22 01:35 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks Jim that’s really interesting.

To be determined
Re: Is it public land [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8743150 11/27/22 02:20 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks Jim that’s really interesting.

So a land locked parcel is really not open to the public? I saw several of these on the On X app while in Montana this year. Was curious about accessing these parcels.

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8743185 11/27/22 02:54 AM
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Your best bet is to check with Montana FWP. Talk to the warden that is assigned to the area the properties you’re interested in are located. Your maps need to be current because BLM land often changes from year to year. Where I hunted in NW Colorado, the warden was our best source for up to date information.
The BLM office or whatever agency controls those properties that your interested in should also be able to let you know if you can access the property.

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8743190 11/27/22 03:00 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Been reading about this some. Across the USA it seems many adjacent land owners have treated it as their own or as shared land with neighbors as basically free land. It never really came to light widely until the app.

To be determined
Re: Is it public land [Re: Wool E. Booger] #8743221 11/27/22 03:36 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If they control the access and are the only ones who can access it it, then they should be taxed on the public property like it is theirs, at a very high tax rate.

Or make them pay 50% of the value like it’s unpatented land and give them a deed to it. Taxing rural property that is agricultural is a couple bucks an acre, most would be happy to pay it to keep the public out and be able to run livestock and hunts on it

My beef isn’t they are making public land hard to access. It’s restricting access where there is none at all

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Is it public land [Re: JimBridger] #8743239 11/27/22 03:58 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by JimBridger
Your best bet is to check with Montana FWP. Talk to the warden that is assigned to the area the properties you’re interested in are located. Your maps need to be current because BLM land often changes from year to year. Where I hunted in NW Colorado, the warden was our best source for up to date information.
The BLM office or whatever agency controls those properties that your interested in should also be able to let you know if you can access the property.

The parcels I saw landlocked were state lands, not BLM. GW would still be a good reference I imagine.

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8743268 11/27/22 04:30 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Y’all are stupid to engage with a liberal anus. Shame on y’all.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Is it public land [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8743284 11/27/22 04:46 AM
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Thanks for your PSA, but politics aside, i believe the rest of us are talking about an issue that effects those of us who hunt western states.

Re: Is it public land [Re: tigger] #8743403 11/27/22 01:53 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I have no dog in this fight as I’m not a land owner nor am I a western states hunter. But, I’ve been following this particular corner crossing case since it’s inception and quite frankly I feel it’s bs. If you’re a land owner you can’t be denied access to your property, now you may have to pay for access via a legal easement, but you can’t be denied.

What really irritates me about this particular case is the only reason this is an issue is because the landowner was using that public land as if it were private land and making money off it. It’s simple case of an over bearing land owner who’s mad that hunters are exercising their rights to use land that belongs to the public.

If states are going to continue to have land locked public land with no access, then it should be sold or leased to the bordering landowners.

Don’t misunderstand me though, I’m not saying landowners need to open the front gate to their land and allow every person equal access, I’m only talking about corner crossing from public to public land.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Is it public land [Re: JimBridger] #8743427 11/27/22 02:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Colorado addressed the corner crossing issues through land trades. There is no legitimate reason for private land owners to control access to publicly funded land.
It’s not uncommon for land owners, who own thousands of acres, to harass hunters that are legally hunting public land that adjoins their property.

Might want to look into that more. BLM or NF can’t be sold or traded currently. Most of the access is bought via conservation groups like RMEF

If you are harassed by a land owner while on public, turn on phone GPS take a picture or video and send it to warden.

Most A-Holes have quickly found out that onX etc trumps their BS real quick

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Is it public land [Re: 68rustbucket] #8743430 11/27/22 02:19 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

The parcels I saw landlocked were state lands, not BLM. GW would still be a good reference I imagine.

State lands in CO CAN NOT be hunted with out permission from leasee.

Re: Is it public land [Re: BigPig] #8743438 11/27/22 02:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BigPig
I have no dog in this fight as I’m not a land owner nor am I a western states hunter. But, I’ve been following this particular corner crossing case since it’s inception and quite frankly I feel it’s bs. If you’re a land owner you can’t be denied access to your property, now you may have to pay for access via a legal easement, but you can’t be denied.

What really irritates me about this particular case is the only reason this is an issue is because the landowner was using that public land as if it were private land and making money off it. It’s simple case of an over bearing land owner who’s mad that hunters are exercising their rights to use land that belongs to the public.

If states are going to continue to have land locked public land with no access, then it should be sold or leased to the bordering landowners.

Don’t misunderstand me though, I’m not saying landowners need to open the front gate to their land and allow every person equal access, I’m only talking about corner crossing from public to public land.

What would you do if someone sent a bullet across your property? Or broke your fences down from climbing over them. You either own the space above the land or you don’t

In this case the civil suit is BS, but instead if I was him I would sue the BLM and NF to pay to have ladders going over all corners and limited liability clause added.

The landowner did have all the grazing leased so he wasn’t exactly a dead beat 100%

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide