Forums46
Topics538,030
Posts9,732,132
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8740698 11/23/22 02:27 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Some were factory loads before I found the light and started loading my own. Funny how i can load other brands that perform flawlessly but it’s only the hornady interlocks I can’t load lol.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8740703 11/23/22 02:31 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Besides you like them for the reason I despise them…. Yet you’re saying they only do that because I’m screwing them up?

Other than a blood shot mess they do fine if the deer is drt. I prefer a blood trail for when they are not drt. If you don’t take out the cns you will eventually have one that runs off where we hunt that’s no fun with a blood trail much less without!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: redchevy] #8740719 11/23/22 02:44 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by redchevy
Besides you like them for the reason I despise them…. Yet you’re saying they only do that because I’m screwing them up?

Other than a blood shot mess they do fine if the deer is drt. I prefer a blood trail for when they are not drt. If you don’t take out the cns you will eventually have one that runs off where we hunt that’s no fun with a blood trail much less without!

I don't think you referred to SST bullets in the examples given. SST's are the subject of my post. Do you have a pic of the face shot on the deer that didn't exit?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: BigPig] #8740720 11/23/22 02:45 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by BigPig
I was just talking to Judd about this bullet tonight and my love-hate for it.

In my 270 with the Superformance ammo the results are sub par, until after 200 yards and then the bullet starts doing its job.

However, the SST in my 6.5 Grendel has been excellent on pigs, deer, coyotes out to 150 yards. Never an exit wound, but mass destruction inside.

I've always looked at the SST as the perfect medium to slow speed bullet. Love it in 300blk. Testing it in 308 currently. 270 is too fast for SST IMO. I like accubond in my 270.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8740741 11/23/22 03:03 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Sst’s are tipped interlocks.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: redchevy] #8740744 11/23/22 03:05 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Which make them perform very differently.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8740772 11/23/22 03:40 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Which make them perform very differently.

Yes they do. The plastic tip on any brand of bullet promotes rapid expansion. Funny thing on the interlokt conversation. May depend on the caliber/cartridge, but I hunted in Namibia for 8 days with a guy from PA that was using a 30/06 and 180 IL's. Killed the crap out of everything up through wildebeest size.

IME, most bullet "failures", even though deer is dead, result from bad bullet placement, mismatching the bullet/velocity to what you're doing because you don't understand what the particular bullet was designed for, etc. For instance, we had an antelope hunter one year in NM show up with a 7mag and 139 SST's running 3200fps. That bullet meeting bone at 70 yards isn't an ideal situation, but it did result in a very dead antelope.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8740774 11/23/22 03:43 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
I personally know of a couple of hundred DEAD pigs that don't like the 120gr SSTs when delivered via my 6.8.

Edit: These were loaded specifically for my rifles in my conditions for pigs but have been known to plant pasture poodles, coons, etc. on occasion.

Last edited by Vern1; 11/23/22 04:26 PM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: Vern1] #8740813 11/23/22 04:09 PM
J
JJH Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
J
I find the negative comments about the Hornady ILs very surprising. On the 24hour Campfire formum they are routinely praised as the "poor man's partition". My own experience with them (130/270; 120HP/25-06 and 257AI; and 100/257R) has all been positive: good expansion, good penetration, DRT or very short runs.

Tried the 139SST in a 280 at about 2950fps. Good results there, too.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: redchevy] #8740817 11/23/22 04:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

You will always have the two camps….one who wants a rapidly expanding bullet that dumps energy into an animals and others who want an exit wound regardless of the scenario.

Yep that nails it, two trains of thought on what good bullet performance is. I’ve shot a few deer when I first started hunting with 130 and 140 grain cup and core soft points in a 270 and 280. Most have big wound channels and an exit; however not all do. My first racked buck was a nice 8 I shot with my dads 280 and a 140 grain Winchester soft point that failed to leave an exit or blood trail. He ran less than 100 yards in thick brush with a good behind the shoulder shot. We found him by dumb luck after a lengthy look.

I shot a hill country 8 point years ago with a 150 grain hornady interlock in the neck…. No exit. Good buddy shot a hill country deer this year with a 308 and 130 grain ballistic tip shot entered under the eye and bullet was against the back of the head, dead deer poor bullet performance.

Shot a hog a few years ago at the ranch 270 150 interlock bullet entered on front shoulder hit the off side rib cage made a 90 degree turn into the guts. Was recovered after a follow up shot but again poor bullet performance.

After several similar instances my brother and dad said they would start shooting factory ammo again if I didn’t quit loading them hornady bullets.

I will probably buy a box of sst’s but it will be for blackout use around 2100 fps impact speeds. Currently shooting some 220 grain interlock round nose in my 30-06 just to get rid of them, had to slow them down to around 2300 fps muzzle before they wouldn’t just blow up on impact, and they are still a little more frangible than I would like. I’ve never lost an animal to them but have very little faith in them.

I’m a big fan of the eldx, moving the interlock ring made that bullet what the interlock tried to be and failed.

Poor bullet performance is one that comes apart on impact or fails to expand….not the presence of an exit.

I’ve killed around 100 animals with interlocks and bullet performance has always been textbook. Didn’t always get an exit but did most of the time on mature south Texas bucks and behind the shoulder shots. In the shoulder never got an exit but deer always crumpled on the spot.

I’ve been shooting Nosler accubonds the last few seasons in my .300 and .257 and don’t always get an exit with those either, but they always resulted in a dead animal. Truth be told when they exit in the .300 it’s a pretty nasty hole, worse than the interlocks.

When I was guiding hunts I tracked well shot game much farther with copper Barnes bullets and nosler partitions then I did with cup and core soft points.

We move up to bigger bodied animals like elk, mid sized African game, etc. SST’s are not what I want in my rifle. But for deer and deer sized game im a huge fan of them.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: unclebubba] #8740827 11/23/22 04:16 PM
T
Triplesnake Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by BigPig
I was just talking to Judd about this bullet tonight and my love-hate for it.

In my 270 with the Superformance ammo the results are sub par, until after 200 yards and then the bullet starts doing its job.

However, the SST in my 6.5 Grendel has been excellent on pigs, deer, coyotes out to 150 yards. Never an exit wound, but mass destruction inside.

I've always looked at the SST as the perfect medium to slow speed bullet. Love it in 300blk. Testing it in 308 currently. 270 is too fast for SST IMO. I like accubond in my 270.

I'll agree with this thought. I shot SST in my 270 for a couple of seasons. They are very accurate and they performed about like most have described here...Rapid expansion with little to no exit and a sea of guts inside. The deer all died, but not much of a blood trail to follow into the brush. And, if the deer got hit in the shoulder there was a lot more wasted meat. I prefer the performance of a less expansive bullet, so I switched to Partitions in my .270. I wouldn't mind using SST in something a little milder, like maybe 7x57.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8740840 11/23/22 04:25 PM
R
reeder05 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
onlysmithandwesson got me started on these SST's a couple of years ago, and I am really liking them.

My main reason was to shoot the superformance line to make up for lost velocity out of an 18" 6.5CM. Everything I have shot has been DRT except for one buck that made it less than ten yards.

I have been really impressed with the bullet, but hadn't "really tested" it yet. All of the pigs that I had shot with them had been to the head, which in my opinion, 98% of bullets would give DRT performance.

I did however, have a muddy, stinky, nasty pig show up this past weekend that was going to be one of my test dummies. About a 120-140lb boar stepped out that I really didn't want to jack with. I put the crosshairs on the center of the shoulder and squeezed off. I really thought I would get a runner, which was fine in this instance. Nope... DRT, never flinched, flopped, etc. Bullet entrance was where I anticipated with no exit and blood pouring out its nose.

Long story short, after 10-15 animals shot with them, I have confidence in them for the type of hunting I do, and that is all that matters.

Anything else is a Ford vs Chevy debate, in my opinion.

Last edited by reeder05; 11/23/22 04:26 PM. Reason: terrible speeler

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Wife has always wanted some Hard 8
Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8741133 11/23/22 11:09 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’m not one to complain about poor bullet performance when a deers drops in its tracks and dies.

I feel ridiculous fussing about core loss, weight retention or an exit in those situations.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8741135 11/23/22 11:23 PM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by howl
Deer tend to carry evidence of poor performance away with them.

As do gut shot deer with poor shot placement.

Flag on post. Ad hominem attack.

If you're going to discuss these things you have to accept proficiency and understanding of posters. Otherwise you may as well just talk to yourself.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: JimBridger] #8741234 11/24/22 02:24 AM
G
Gw123 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by JimBridger
Originally Posted by Gw123
[Linked Image]

While I do admit to very poor shot placement, due to a cheap scope mounted on a truck gun at pretty much dark, I’d say this is not great for an entrance wound on any shot placement. 117 grain sst factory superformance out of a 26 inch barrel 25-06. Not knocking the sst at all, I think they work great, not my preferred bullet as they can create a heck of a blood shot mess, but I’m not afraid to use them. They put a tremendous hurting on whatever they hit.

That looks more like an exit wound. Entry wounds are generally the diameter of your bullet.

Yes sir I know. I know for a fact though that this is an entrance wound. This is the only one I’ve ever had blow up like that on an entrance

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8741244 11/24/22 02:33 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Sst flat out works

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: Brother in-law] #8741280 11/24/22 03:06 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Sst flat out works

Yup. Put it where it's supposed to go then go claim your reward. up

[Linked Image]
Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8741297 11/24/22 03:30 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
When I hunted w my AR10, its what I used

They were nasty

I just hated carrying that dam gun, downhill 1 mile, up hill 1 mile and w the mag it just wasn't comfortable

I am using the 6.5 ELD's this year and haven't shot anything yet but I am getting itchy....

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8741608 11/24/22 04:36 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
It is as simple as this, you must match the bullet to the type of animal that you are going to shoot with that bullet. Knowing the velocity of the bullet when it hits the intended target is also part of picking the right bullet. Using a lightly constructed bullet at high velocity and close range risk bullet blow up. Using a super tough bullet on light game or at long range with low velocity risk a wounded animal running away to never be found. Using too small of a bore on larger game also risk them living long enough to suffer and to run away. An SST in one bore diameter and weight may work just fine on an animal while it won't work well in a smaller bore and and weight on the same type of animal. I will frequently dual load with InterBond and SST bullets in anticipation of having to take shots at different distances while acknowledging the performance differences between the two bullets depending on their impact velocity which is dependent on range to target. Mega high velocity hits on a tough critter is not what the SST is good for. Stretch out the range enough for it to slow down a little bit and then it works perfect and you don't have to use a bonded bullet in its place. Pushing a 139gr 7mm SST to 3400fps and a 50 yard hit on an Elk is begging for failure but the same bullet that is a bit slower and the heavier version would work just fine but I would prefer to take that shot with the InterBond instead if I was shooting a 7mm bore.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8741630 11/24/22 05:02 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I'm glad hunters like yourself have thought this out, so I didn't have to. Makes perfect sense as I look back on a time or two things didn't go well, and the 100's of times when what I was shooting at was DRT.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: JimBridger] #8741633 11/24/22 05:04 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JimBridger
Originally Posted by Gw123
[Linked Image]

While I do admit to very poor shot placement, due to a cheap scope mounted on a truck gun at pretty much dark, I’d say this is not great for an entrance wound on any shot placement. 117 grain sst factory superformance out of a 26 inch barrel 25-06. Not knocking the sst at all, I think they work great, not my preferred bullet as they can create a heck of a blood shot mess, but I’m not afraid to use them. They put a tremendous hurting on whatever they hit.

That looks more like an exit wound. Entry wounds are generally the diameter of your bullet.

On high velocity hits I have seen guts hanging out of the entry wound when shooting wild goats when using the same cartridge with the same bullet. It looks like something pulled all of their guts out of the entry hole and I don't quite understand the mechanics of it.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8741848 11/25/22 12:53 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Wasn't expecting this when I woke up this morning, but I let an SST eat today. My go-to the last few years, since there's always a chance at a sounder at my ranchito, has been a suppressed 6.8 SBR, shooting 90gr Gold Dots (which is an EXCELLENT bullet in its own right).

Well it just so happens today I saw a cull buck locked down on a doe when I got back to camp following my morning hunt, except he was over 200 yards out. Despite our crazy 30 mph wind today in the panhandle, I dug out my .308 M700 with a Hart bull barrel, loaded a round (150gr SST, 43.9 gr Varget, in a Lake City Long Range brass case). After watching him for about 20 min, I decided not to let this dink breed and I let the SST eat.

Yup, DRT. Tale of the tape: 235 yards by range finder shooting NNW into a NW wind, and by far my best and farthest shot on an animal with minimal drift or drop, and a complete pass-through with about a 2" exit hole. That buck never knew what hit him.

Again, for the money (cheaper than the Gold Dots), you cannot beat an SST. I'd actually shoot an SST in my 6.8 if they made anything other than their 120gr offering in .277. 120gr is a little heavy and slow for my taste in an SBR.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: howl] #8742031 11/25/22 11:29 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Deer tend to carry evidence of poor performance away with them.

As do gut shot deer with poor shot placement.

Flag on post. Ad hominem attack.

If you're going to discuss these things you have to accept proficiency and understanding of posters. Otherwise you may as well just talk to yourself.

Shhhh.....the grown ups are talking about a bullet.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8744604 11/28/22 09:03 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I shoot them in my 6.8. I kid you not, most of the hogs we shoot are DRT (with vital shots). If an animal does run, it’s a very short distance.

Re: Hornady SST's & why I like 'em [Re: bigjoe8565] #8744716 11/28/22 11:00 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
I shoot them in my 6.8. I kid you not, most of the hogs we shoot are DRT (with vital shots). If an animal does run, it’s a very short distance.

See the new thread (sometimes they do exit)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide