Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A long time ago [Re: hogwart] #8741072 11/23/22 09:07 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Looked Manning up on the map and y'all are way the heck up in the northwestern part of Alberta, I bet it does it get a little cold up there every now and then

texas flag

Re: A long time ago [Re: Stub] #8741130 11/23/22 11:06 PM
H
hogwart Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by Stub
Looked Manning up on the map and y'all are way the heck up in the northwestern part of Alberta, I bet it does it get a little cold up there every now and then

Yeah it does get cold, but there is an up side to that. We don't get the heat you guys get.
At 90 degrees in the shade folks up here start dying if they have to be out in the sun.

Also on the plus side, we don't have no poisonous snakes or fire ants. Ain't no skunks nore killer bees neither.
Don't get no tornadoes or hurrycanes. No wild hogs no Poison Ivy, · Poison Oak, or· Poison Sumac.

Ain't got no Norway Rats nore termites. No coons, no alergators.

And best of all, I ain't never seen a politician in the area.
However, we do have four cops one country Sheriff/dog catcher and two game wardens.

We have tons of Geese, some ducks, three species of Grouse, and some years a few flocks of Ptarmigans wonder this far south.
We have Moose and Elk, Two species of Deer, two species of Bear.
Coyote, Wolves, Lynx, Otter, Fisher, Mink, Marten and two species of Weasel.

We have Beaver and Muskrat, Deer Mice and Meadow Voles. And although rare we have something called a Meadow Jumping Mouse that is like a small version of your Kangaroo Rat. Darn things can jump as far as 12 feet, pretty good for a 3 inch long animal with a four inch long tail.

I guess what I like most about living up here is the remoteness more then anything.
The majority of the territory is undeveloped public land. The Great Boreal Forest.

And few people, relative to most of the south.
The entire county only has 4,500 or so people. That's in an area of 8,122 square miles or about the size of New Jersey.

Do for yourself as much as you can, eat what nature provides as much as you can. This is the key to sleeping well and living long.
Re: A long time ago [Re: hogwart] #8741243 11/24/22 02:30 AM
270Sendero Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Hogwart, you had me ready to relocate until is saw that -55 degrees. I’m out. I guess that it how y’all have stayed remote for so long. I’ll stick with my good old Texas heat.

Re: A long time ago [Re: hogwart] #8741264 11/24/22 02:53 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by hogwart
Originally Posted by Stub

Yeah it does get cold, but there is an up side to that. We don't get the heat you guys get.
At 90 degrees in the shade folks up here start dying if they have to be out in the sun.

Also on the plus side, we don't have no poisonous snakes or fire ants. Ain't no skunks nore killer bees neither.
Don't get no tornadoes or hurrycanes. No wild hogs no Poison Ivy, · Poison Oak, or· Poison Sumac.

Ain't got no Norway Rats nore termites. No coons, no alergators.

And best of all, I ain't never seen a politician in the area.
However, we do have four cops one country Sheriff/dog catcher and two game wardens.

We have tons of Geese, some ducks, three species of Grouse, and some years a few flocks of Ptarmigans wonder this far south.
We have Moose and Elk, Two species of Deer, two species of Bear.
Coyote, Wolves, Lynx, Otter, Fisher, Mink, Marten and two species of Weasel.

We have Beaver and Muskrat, Deer Mice and Meadow Voles. And although rare we have something called a Meadow Jumping Mouse that is like a small version of your Kangaroo Rat. Darn things can jump as far as 12 feet, pretty good for a 3 inch long animal with a four inch long tail.

I guess what I like most about living up here is the remoteness more then anything.
The majority of the territory is undeveloped public land. The Great Boreal Forest.

And few people, relative to most of the south.
The entire county only has 4,500 or so people. That's in an area of 8,122 square miles or about the size of New Jersey.

You're speaking my language, sir. My wife and I often comment that we were born 125 years too late. We love being remote and wanted to be far enough away from civilization that when we had to get groceries, we could call it "going in for supplies." We're not so remote now, but where we'll retire in the panhandle, our nearest neighbor is almost a mile away. That ain't too bad.

Awesome thread, sir. Thanks for sharing! salute up

[Linked Image]
Re: A long time ago [Re: 270Sendero] #8741334 11/24/22 04:40 AM
H
hogwart Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by 270Sendero
Hogwart, you had me ready to relocate until is saw that -55 degrees. I’m out. I guess that it how y’all have stayed remote for so long. I’ll stick with my good old Texas heat.

Southern Alberta is a lot warmer on average then what we see up here. And a lot more like Texas from what I hear. But with a much lower population.

Lots of folks from south of the border have come up for a visit and decided to stay.
My grandfather was one of them.

Personally I'd be happy if they'd erase the border south of us and put one between us and Ottawa.

Do for yourself as much as you can, eat what nature provides as much as you can. This is the key to sleeping well and living long.
Re: A long time ago [Re: kry226] #8741337 11/24/22 04:48 AM
H
hogwart Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by kry226

You're speaking my language, sir. My wife and I often comment that we were born 125 years too late. We love being remote and wanted to be far enough away from civilization that when we had to get groceries, we could call it "going in for supplies." We're not so remote now, but where we'll retire in the panhandle, our nearest neighbor is almost a mile away. That ain't too bad.

Awesome thread, sir. Thanks for sharing! salute up

As much as I love it up here, if I could afford to I'd move to the interior of BC, up in the Mountains and much closer to the coast.

It's much warmer there and I love being out on the Ocean. Maybe somewhere in the Okanagan. They can grow Peaches there, and the fishing in the Ocean is killer!

Re: A long time ago [Re: Capt.JVH] #8741338 11/24/22 04:50 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Capt.JVH
awesome pictures! Thank you for sharing these!

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: A long time ago [Re: 270Sendero] #8741437 11/24/22 01:33 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 270Sendero

I bet it keeps the rif-raf out.......oh wait, we are the rif-raf. lol hammer roflmao

Make America Great Again

Re: A long time ago [Re: hogwart] #8741461 11/24/22 02:06 PM
el Rojo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Great thread! banana

Re: A long time ago [Re: hogwart] #8746161 11/30/22 04:38 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Thank you so much for sharing!

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: A long time ago [Re: hogwart] #8746221 11/30/22 05:28 PM
P
panhandle Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Incredible stories and pictures! Thank you so much for sharing.

Re: A long time ago [Re: hogwart] #8746374 11/30/22 08:32 PM
H
hogwart Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I was born not far from where I live now, but I didn't live here for all of my life, only for most of it.

I did live in Vancouver for almost a year. Nice place but too many people. However it is where I learned to love the Ocean.
For 18 years I lived in Wetaskiwin, one of our southern cities. One of our smaller cities.

I moved there to go to high school since there was none up here at that time.
I met and fell in love with a city girl while in high school and we married the year I left school. Big mistake.

I moved back north when I was 36 and have lived here ever since. I am 68 now. That means I have lived in this area for more the 59 years..

I've worked all over the province and been in most provinces and territories at least once.
Most of my life I was involved in the trucking industry, as a driver and for a time as a mechanic.

I did long haul trucking for a while and during that time I got as far south as Fort Smith Arkansas and as far north as Yellowknife NWT.
Most of my truck driving was local work, hauling grain for farmers, logs for a local saw mill and hauling products to local retail outlets.

I took pilot lessons for a while, until I ran out of money for lessons. I worked in forestry for a time doing cut block layout and regen surveys.

I even worked a store clerk and later manager of a convenience store. Some times ya gotta take whatever work is available.

The north is where I am most comfortable. It's where I belong. It's where I fit in.

It's nice to visit other parts of the world. I'd love to visit some of the wild parts of Africa and Australia. I'd love to visit rural Texas or most states for that matter.

But this will always be my home.

Re: A long time ago [Re: hogwart] #8746465 11/30/22 10:39 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide