Page 1 of 2 1 2
For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land #8730605 11/09/22 11:30 PM
F
fishdfly Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
For those land owners who lease for deer: Do you have only the main contact person sign the lease agreement, or do you have each person on the lease sign it?

Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8730678 11/10/22 12:48 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have one guy sign the lease agreement and what he does after that’s on him but his butts on the hook for any and all issues should any arise. I’ve never had a issue other than a few being slow to pay at times so make sure the main man’s a good one and you’ll be fine.

My take after dealing with it in various ways is to eliminate me having to deal with a bunch of different people, if they have a problem they go to man #1, if I have a problem I go to man #1, if man #1 has a problem he can’t resolve we all have a problem.

Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: Ol Thumper] #8730718 11/10/22 01:21 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I have one guy sign the lease agreement and what he does after that’s on him but his butts on the hook for any and all issues should any arise. I’ve never had a issue other than a few being slow to pay at times so make sure the main man’s a good one and you’ll be fine.

My take after dealing with it in various ways is to eliminate me having to deal with a bunch of different people, if they have a problem they go to man #1, if I have a problem I go to man #1, if man #1 has a problem he can’t resolve we all have a problem.

Not always stressless being a “Man #1”, but it can be rewarding.
And also I agree with Thump,

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: Ol Thumper] #8730874 11/10/22 03:28 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Agree also. If you don't have just one person and something goes wrong, nobody knows anything and so you don't have anyone to work with. If you have a #1 person, it doesn't matter if they have direct knowledge of the problem or not, it is their problem to rectify or they are in violation of the lease.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8730919 11/10/22 04:31 AM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
BIL runs the lease on the family place and everyone signs a contract. They can pick each member that way.

Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8730968 11/10/22 08:56 AM
F
fishdfly Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Thanks.

Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8731123 11/10/22 02:32 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Definitely 1 man and have a very clear and frank discussion with him about how things work. It doesn’t matter if he is splitting the cost 5 ways with his buddies and they haven’t paid him yet HE is on the hook to pay you. I would also make sure this main guy is capable (financially) of satisfying the lease terms on his own if the things went bad with his group. If he doesn’t have the means to comply with the lease it doesn’t matter what he wants to do.

Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8731128 11/10/22 02:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by fishdfly
For those land owners who lease for deer: Do you have only the main contact person sign the lease agreement, or do you have each person on the lease sign it?

Each and also documents that meet the requirements under the Texas Agritoruism Act

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8731133 11/10/22 02:39 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I’ve never been on a lease with a “lease boss” we always had our individual handshake with the owner. Never had a single problem that way.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: redchevy] #8731144 11/10/22 02:50 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by redchevy
I’ve never been on a lease with a “lease boss” we always had our individual handshake with the owner. Never had a single problem that way.

Does the owner charge you a certain amount per person or a certain amount for the place? If the owner is charging a certain amount per person they basically are acting like the lease boss dealing with everyone and collecting the money. That is fine but is a lot more work for the landowner.

You run into the age old problem like when three college buddies rent a house and they each pay $500/month towards the $1,500 rent. Joe and Bob have their $500 this month but Steve doesn’t. If the owner has a deal with Joe that the rent is $1,500 he is getting $1,500 or he can kick them all out. If he has individual deals with the three of them it looks like Steve is getting the boot but the owner is only getting $1,000 until a new third person is found.

Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8731199 11/10/22 03:52 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have everyone that hunts here sign, deer, pigs, dove, turkey. Even if they only target and clay shooting, they sign.

Last edited by Stompy; 11/10/22 03:54 PM.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8731923 11/11/22 02:05 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Most land owners don't want to hear whinning hunters that go over the #1 guy's head!
Land owner tells #1 about it, and those whinners are shown the gate!
Note:
That should be written in large bold print at the bottom of any lease agreement and signed by all members!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8731940 11/11/22 02:19 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Buddy of mine has 1200 acres in Buffalo, TX. He used to do the #1 Man thing until the guy flaked out. He now has each lease tenant sign individual contracts. They don't get keys or combos until paid in full upfront, including a damage deposit. He has not had a problem since.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8732654 11/12/22 01:53 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
There are 9 of us. I sign a contract each year. Each of us signs a waiver of liability every year.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8732658 11/12/22 02:01 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Most land owners want one throat to choke and one check paid on time.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8732784 11/12/22 04:33 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Lease agreement signed by one individual. All members sign lease roster agreeing with terms of lease and rules, additionally each signs a waiver of liability.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8734332 11/14/22 11:58 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I don’t lease my land but do have a couple of friends that hunt, fish, ride my 4 wheelers, use my tractor with front end loader, etc. Sometimes, in off season, they will bring the family for a day in the country. My grown Grandson has some high school buddies that come up once a year for some shooting, barbecuing and beer drinking.

I’m typing up this document and everybody that crosses the front gate will be signing it. Let’s say that one of my grandsons buddies comes there and gets hurt. I’m Hosed without a Hold Harmless document.

Every landowner needs to have a front gate sign. However, I have a power line crossing my land with 2 unlocked gates. I’m not allowed to lock or control access on those. I have no idea how to protect myself from injuries sustained by trespassers under the Attractive Nuisance situations.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 11/14/22 11:59 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: Sewer rat] #8734351 11/15/22 12:33 AM
T
tigger Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Originally Posted by redchevy

Does the owner charge you a certain amount per person or a certain amount for the place? If the owner is charging a certain amount per person they basically are acting like the lease boss dealing with everyone and collecting the money. That is fine but is a lot more work for the landowner.

You run into the age old problem like when three college buddies rent a house and they each pay $500/month towards the $1,500 rent. Joe and Bob have their $
500 this month but Steve doesn’t. If the owner has a deal with Joe that the rent is $1,500 he is getting $1,500 or he can kick them all out. If he has individual deals with the three of them it looks like Steve is getting the boot but the owner is only getting $1,000 until a new third person is found.

Great reply

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8734610 11/15/22 08:52 AM
F
fishdfly Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
"However, I have a power line crossing my land with 2 unlocked gates. I’m not allowed to lock or control access on those. I have no idea how to protect myself from injuries sustained by trespassers under the Attractive Nuisance situations."

How come or why no locks on your 2 gates? Does not seem right to me. Gates would be plastered with signs and cameras

Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8734665 11/15/22 12:59 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
These gates do not go to public roads but to other private lands. Thus, it is handy when a cow gets out, etc. Also, I guess when a deer needs to be recovered.

Not sure what my liability from trespassers might be. Way too easy to get sued these days.

I have signs but poachers probably wouldn’t worry about them. And, I do have occasional poachers. Even though I bought the land 40+ years ago, there is still some resentment about “Dallas Cowboys” buying up “their” hunting and grazing lands. Nobody of my adjoining neighbors hunts so I have the only feeders (6) in the area.

I will start making hunting guests sign a hold harmless agreement.

This thread has gotten my attention.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 11/15/22 01:09 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8734686 11/15/22 01:27 PM
F
fishdfly Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Thanks for the clarification, that makes some sense, but only if you have decent neighbors. I have one I would not trust with an unlocked gate.

Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8734692 11/15/22 01:34 PM
JimBridger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by fishdfly
"However, I have a power line crossing my land with 2 unlocked gates. I’m not allowed to lock or control access on those. I have no idea how to protect myself from injuries sustained by trespassers under the Attractive Nuisance situations."

How come or why no locks on your 2 gates? Does not seem right to me. Gates would be plastered with signs and cameras

Why can’t you lock the gates? I have a power line right of way through my property also. Power line companies usually have a person designated as a landowner liaison. Tell them you want them to put a chain on the gate with your lock and their lock acting as a connecting link. That way they will have access without worrying about trespassers. I found them to be very accommodating when it comes to protecting my property from trespassing.

Last edited by JimBridger; 11/15/22 01:39 PM.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8734716 11/15/22 02:08 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Dave Davidson

The unlocked gate situation is BS, whoever’s telling you it can’t be locked is an idiot. We have numerous power lines running through property and every carrier has their own locks attached to our locks and we have 4 different companies in 2 states. I wouldn’t have an unlocked gate if Jesus himself owned the land around me because I’m not concerned with him, I’m concerned with who they give access to their property that might opt to wander around through an unlocked gate and then who’s to blame? You are because your going to get the “Well I Didn’t Know” excuse because the gate was unlocked. That’s not happening without cutting a fence or lock off period on us.

As far as everyone signing a waiver that comes through the gate, that papers worth about as much as toilet paper if something should happen because a first year lawyer could wipe the floor with it unless somethings recently changed. It’s more of a make everyone feel all warm and bubbly document until something bad happens and the POS that got hurt decides to blame you for their own bad decisions and sue. If your concerned about accidents regardless who they are just take out a insurance policy, there pretty cheap.

From everything you said the biggest concern I’d have was letting people use your equipment on your land, that’s got disaster written all over it if they get hurt on it and your not insured. I let people use our stuff but I’m insured through the roof with various policy’s these days. We had that issue many moons ago and it ended up costing a fortune over a mechanical issue and the operator not skilled enough to overcome the situation. In short we have to cover our rears and it’s sucks we have to be worried about so called friend coming after us for letting them on our land but people suck these days and so many want a quick paycheck. It’s sad,,

Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: Ol Thumper] #8734722 11/15/22 02:16 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Dave Davidson

The unlocked gate situation is BS, whoever’s telling you it can’t be locked is an idiot. We have numerous power lines running through property and every carrier has their own locks attached to our locks and we have 4 different companies in 2 states. I wouldn’t have an unlocked gate if Jesus himself owned the land around me because I’m not concerned with him, I’m concerned with who they give access to their property that might opt to wander around through an unlocked gate and then who’s to blame? You are because your going to get the “Well I Didn’t Know” excuse because the gate was unlocked. That’s not happening without cutting a fence or lock off period on us.

As far as everyone signing a waiver that comes through the gate, that papers worth about as much as toilet paper if something should happen because a first year lawyer could wipe the floor with it unless somethings recently changed. It’s more of a make everyone feel all warm and bubbly document until something bad happens and the POS that got hurt decides to blame you for their own bad decisions and sue. If your concerned about accidents regardless who they are just take out a insurance policy, there pretty cheap.

From everything you said the biggest concern I’d have was letting people use your equipment on your land, that’s got disaster written all over it if they get hurt on it and your not insured. I let people use our stuff but I’m insured through the roof with various policy’s these days. We had that issue many moons ago and it ended up costing a fortune over a mechanical issue and the operator not skilled enough to overcome the situation. In short we have to cover our rears and it’s sucks we have to be worried about so called friend coming after us for letting them on our land but people suck these days and so many want a quick paycheck. It’s sad,,

Texas Ag tourism act

“The Texas Agritourism Act ("Agritourism Act"), now codified as Chapter 75A of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, provides certain agricultural landowners with limited liability protection from injuries and damages sustained by individuals engaged in certain activities on the land, provided specific requirements are met.“

You can still be sued but doesn’t mean they will win. Most suits are brought forth to settle not to go to court,

Liability insurance is there for a reason. If you follow the Agritoursim Act, your insurance company mostly likey will fight this for you and take it to jury.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: For Land Owners Who Lease Their Land [Re: fishdfly] #8734781 11/15/22 03:26 PM
C
ctonsmitty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
What about the 1,000,000s of illegals who trespass? What happens when they drown or get a bit by a poisonous snake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide