Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728320 11/07/22 04:05 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Asking the THF to decide is like asking them about Doctoring, law questions, marriage counselling, or what is the best beer. Parenting is making your own decisions.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728322 11/07/22 04:08 PM
S
Savage243 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I don't know if this question has been asked or not.

Has this deer been around before this season or is he new?

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: freerange] #8728324 11/07/22 04:09 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I’m all for letting kids shoot deer if and when they’re ready, and there is no right age in my opinion. I hold my son to the same management standards we hold all of our hunters to. He’s been with me just about every hunt since he was 2 years old and I don’t pull the trigger a lot, so he has no problem hunting without shooting.

I can also appreciate dad wanting to experience the joy of his son taking his first buck. If it were me, my focus would be on fiinding a deer at or past his prime, or at least one that make sense for the overall management program in some way.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: don k] #8728326 11/07/22 04:10 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by don k
Asking the THF to decide is like asking them about Doctoring, law questions, marriage counselling, or what is the best beer. Parenting is making your own decisions.

Don, I agree, I would not want the THF deciding anything for me. But, I do see a lot of value in getting some ideas that you may not of thought of. Then make your own decision.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Savage243] #8728340 11/07/22 04:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Savage243
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Savage243
If you are managing thousands of acres, then consider letting him walk. If you are on a couple hundred, then they should take him if he wants him. Losing that deer won't be detrimental to the herd because there will be one less mouth to feed.

The way I see it is.....that deer can get hung in a fence, get hit by a truck, eaten by coyotes or shot by someone else. (Heck, we aren't guaranteed tomorrow, much less next year). There are zero guarantees that the deer will make it "another year". I am fully aware of the "well if you shoot him now, there is a zero percent chance he survives" argument.

Point is do what you want on your property and if you do shoot him you don't have to post it on here or anywhere and no one will know he's dead but you and the taxidermist. Hunting is fun and if the kid can hold and shoot a gun then I say go for it! (if you want)

Also, the whole "my first deer was a doe or cull, so yours has to be that way" sentiment never made sense to me at all. I hope my daughters first buck is a dang 150" hill country monster! To each there own I suppose...........

Well the deer in question may be a 150 in 2 years. Your kid will never kill a 150 if they are killing 130 in younger age classes, that’s kind of the conundrum of this thread. If you area scared to let a deer walk because neighbors you are that neighbor

I personally don’t care what my lease members or their kids fill their tags with. If they are happy with it so be it, but if they complain about never seeing big deer they will quickly get reminded of what they choose to fill tags with. Can’t have it both ways unfortunately

I never said I was afraid of a neighbor shooting a deer. I clearly stated that it is a possibility. So if I am afraid that he'll get hung in a fence does that make me "that fence"?

What are the odds of the deer hanging around a property of a few hundred acres for 2-3 years? Not great I imagine, 2,000 acres, eh, maybe a bit better.

I’m not saying you are I just saying in general that mentality is counter productive to an accomplishment goal. The older that deer gets the chance of him staying around is exponentially greater, as his home and core area shrinks with age.

Find some time google home and core areas of bucks by age. A lot of collar studies out there show the exact same things as far a decease in acreage.

As far as core area size you would be shock how small they can be.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: don k] #8728341 11/07/22 04:30 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted by don k

That happens here every day, folks ask all those questions you posed.

Obviously, the father has reservations of letting him shoot a deer.

Last edited by fishdfly; 11/07/22 04:30 PM.
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728358 11/07/22 04:39 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I wouldn't violate lease rules/guildelines; beyond that if the parent thinks the youth is ready to shoot that deer, then proceed. We can't honestly answer this either way because we don't know the mind of the 8-year old.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728362 11/07/22 04:44 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Set up your home place just like you would want a lease you were on set up. Describe what you are looking for age and horn wise and what your expectations are and why. After he is given what is expected to be harvested, let him decide what, when, and where. Our kids do not make enough decisions on their own any more. Hunting is not a guaranteed endeavor and we should all be prepared to be elated at times and to also suffer heartache at times. You are dealing with an uncontrollable force, Mother Nature. Provide the framework and let him make his own decisions within the framework. Cameras, and I have them also, tend to take the surprises out of what is going to show up where you hunt. This leads to everyone wanting to kill the biggest on camera and to do it as soon as possible before someone else has a chance and to heck with next year, especially for the younger or inexperienced hunter. I like to hunt or have the chance to hunt the entire season. Used to, pre-camera age, you hunted the first couple of weekends just to see what was around. Now days, that has changed. I like to hunt for the opportunity to be out there and make it last as long as possible, but I guess that comes with age.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728414 11/07/22 05:55 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Gots to love it when someone asks for opinions and somes don't like the responses.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Hudbone] #8728445 11/07/22 06:24 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Gots to love it when someone asks for opinions and somes don't like the responses.

up

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728485 11/07/22 06:59 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
There are a lot of fathers who wish their son or daughter had enjoyed hunting and didn't move on to other interests as they got older.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728497 11/07/22 07:09 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
What BOBO said. Spot on.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: BenBob] #8728521 11/07/22 07:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BenBob
Set up your home place just like you would want a lease you were on set up. Describe what you are looking for age and horn wise and what your expectations are and why. After he is given what is expected to be harvested, let him decide what, when, and where. Our kids do not make enough decisions on their own any more. Hunting is not a guaranteed endeavor and we should all be prepared to be elated at times and to also suffer heartache at times. You are dealing with an uncontrollable force, Mother Nature. Provide the framework and let him make his own decisions within the framework. Cameras, and I have them also, tend to take the surprises out of what is going to show up where you hunt. This leads to everyone wanting to kill the biggest on camera and to do it as soon as possible before someone else has a chance and to heck with next year, especially for the younger or inexperienced hunter. I like to hunt or have the chance to hunt the entire season. Used to, pre-camera age, you hunted the first couple of weekends just to see what was around. Now days, that has changed. I like to hunt for the opportunity to be out there and make it last as long as possible, but I guess that comes with age.

X10000000000

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728524 11/07/22 07:46 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Obviously adults don't think he's old enough. The kid is 8, let him shoot a cull of some kind

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728890 11/08/22 02:37 AM
P
Paralax22 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
Most of the responses here is what I told him prior to this post. No, not actually letting members decide. He asked me for my opinion so I gave it. He is letting him walk and going to focus on a cull for him.

JD

�Living Life One Round At A Time�
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8729885 11/09/22 03:09 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Paralax22
Most of the responses here is what I told him prior to this post. No, not actually letting members decide. He asked me for my opinion so I gave it. He is letting him walk and going to focus on a cull for him.

up up

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8730014 11/09/22 12:21 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
The rule on my land is unless you’re gonna shoulder mount it let it walk…there are plenty of culls and does to get your freezer full on. So if it will be mounted for him let him shoot it. Sure it will be better next year and the year after but we are not promised tomorrow so enjoy today!

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8730112 11/09/22 02:14 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Looks like a teaching moment to me, Explain the reason for letting him walk, if the son has good reasons in his young mind listen to them then explain management to him.
Telling him good chance of a bigger buck might get some hesitation on his part.
Kids need to learn patience too, just like parents. Good way to teach a little patience to the boy.
I'm all for letting kids shoot deer but he has a spike under his belt, kids don't need to get everything they want.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8730132 11/09/22 02:36 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Aside from the management aspect, I wouldn't want my son to be spoiled by having nice bucks handed to him. I'd want him to earn it somehow. Whether he sets up and fills his own feeder, puts up game cameras to track deer movement, etc. I'd want him to put in the effort, educate him on the impacts of shooting certain types of deer over others, and ultimately let him decide if he wants to shoot a deer that he worked towards. He may be too young for that, so my vote is let him shoot a cull or a doe, and explain to him the work involved in hunting mature deer.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8730239 11/09/22 04:02 PM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Let the son take him. He will be thrilled and has a higher bar to surpass next year.

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8730250 11/09/22 04:16 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
There is a teaching moment, that would probably last a lifetime, if you let the Buck walk.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8730267 11/09/22 04:28 PM
I
ijohnston Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I
Let him walk 2 more years. That will give the buck more time to age and get bigger. That will also give the kid 2 more years to work his way up. Win Win if you do it this way. I did the same with my son and it worked out great.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8730405 11/09/22 07:05 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I don't know fi this has been brought up or not, but many of you are bringing some serious high level thought to a "kid's first buck" opportunity.

Let the kid hunt, keep his enthusiasm in hunting and let him learn with time.

Lets take the devils advocate here:

Dad listens to the forum and says to kid, that deer isn't old enough and we need to let it walk a couple more years before we can shoot it. IN a couple years something happens (lease is transferred, family moves, neighbor shoots the deer, literally a million possible here) and that deer is gone, and the kids interest in hunting has faded since all dad lets him shoot are "boring doe" and ultimately the kid never gets really interested in hunting again?

You could then have another anti-hunter or person ambivalent to hunting who votes for public lands to go away and gun rights to cease when instead you could have given a kid an opportunity to shoot a deer that got his blood pumping but many of us on here feel is "too young" and the kid is "too young".

Hogwash, this is supposed to be a fun activity. If you can not have fun doing it, then get out. If you can not let your kids have fun learning how to do it, then get out. Many of us have to realize everyone enjoys this for different reasons. It isn't all abut the age and antlers, for many its about priceless memories that can not be made unless we are out there doing them with our kids.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Texas buckeye] #8730558 11/09/22 10:30 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I don't know fi this has been brought up or not, but many of you are bringing some serious high level thought to a "kid's first buck" opportunity.

Let the kid hunt, keep his enthusiasm in hunting and let him learn with time.

Lets take the devils advocate here:

Dad listens to the forum and says to kid, that deer isn't old enough and we need to let it walk a couple more years before we can shoot it. IN a couple years something happens (lease is transferred, family moves, neighbor shoots the deer, literally a million possible here) and that deer is gone, and the kids interest in hunting has faded since all dad lets him shoot are "boring doe" and ultimately the kid never gets really interested in hunting again?

You could then have another anti-hunter or person ambivalent to hunting who votes for public lands to go away and gun rights to cease when instead you could have given a kid an opportunity to shoot a deer that got his blood pumping but many of us on here feel is "too young" and the kid is "too young".

Hogwash, this is supposed to be a fun activity. If you can not have fun doing it, then get out. If you can not let your kids have fun learning how to do it, then get out. Many of us have to realize everyone enjoys this for different reasons. It isn't all abut the age and antlers, for many its about priceless memories that can not be made unless we are out there doing them with our kids.

Exactly my point in my earlier post.

[Linked Image]
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8730598 11/09/22 11:17 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Explain management to him and that is why you prefer to wait. It is early in the season and hopefully another nice buck will show up. As the season progresses and the deer is available, then shoot it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide