Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8714469 10/21/22 09:52 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtagk7885-20
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by tlk
have fed protein on a large free range ranch for 15 years - we added cottonseed around 7-8 years ago.

IMO the difference supplemental feed makes (and makes it worth paying for) is during droughts when the natural browse is not there in abundance. This is where I think a person would see the advantage long term by feeding protein versus just natural browse.

I have also said for years that if I was on a ranch that could have irrigation in order to plant food plots I would take that over any other supplemental feed.

My experience after seeing hundreds of thousand game camera pictures at protein feeders is that deer in general will spend 10-20 minutes at a protein feeder versus spending hours in a food plot. They ingest way more in a field than at a feeder IMO.

Most of what they're eating in a field is water, not concentrated pellets. Compare a salad to a protein bar, volume-wise, when you have enough salad to equal the same amount of protein. One pound of alfalfa sprouts (which are much higher in protein than oats and other common deer forage) contains about 17gr of protein; a pound of pellets contains 70-80 grams of protein. So they have to eat four to five pounds of forage to get the same protein.

So how many trips to the protein feeder does it take for a deer to ingest a pound of protein pellets? In my experience multiple trips. Meanwhile they literally live in a good food plot - so my guess is by the time they ingest a pound of pellets they will ingest at least as much over a period of days in the food plot.

If you plant the right crop it can last 3-5 years. Cost wise there is no doubt a good food plot is way less expensive than buying protein pellets. I remember Tecomate Ranch before protein pellets were common that did nothing but food plots and grew massive deer.

Last edited by tlk; 10/21/22 09:55 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8714483 10/21/22 10:21 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I don't feed protein to deer. The main reason is that I am not in the deer business, nor do I care about raising big deer. I am in the Ibex business, so I do feed protein. Feeding a supplement protein which also has added minerals and vitamins is going to improve the quality of animals you produce. I think it all comes down to a few questions. How bad do you want to raise big deer? Do you really believe protein helps the average deer? How much are you willing to spent to see if it is really worth the money spent?

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8714595 10/22/22 01:12 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
It is a fact, unless you get at least 25" of rain a year in Texas, you will not grow a summer food plot without irrigation. Protein is your next best choice. You might be surprised how fast they will go thru a 50 lb bag in a free choice feeder during stress periods!

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Longhunter] #8714791 10/22/22 10:37 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Longhunter
It is a fact, unless you get at least 25" of rain a year in Texas, you will not grow a summer food plot without irrigation. Protein is your next best choice. You might be surprised how fast they will go thru a 50 lb bag in a free choice feeder during stress periods!

yes my original post stated irrigation - otherwise a food plot in Texas is a crap shoot - that is why protein is the next best option IMO

You can't fix stupid
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Longhunter] #8715544 10/23/22 02:16 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker

We've seen them eat 9,000lbs of protien out of 5 feeders on 1,000 acres in 14 days in high stress times. I've seen the same 9,000lbs last 4-5 months in low stress periods.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Longhunter] #8715575 10/23/22 02:52 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
No way they will be the same, they have different mothers. And the doe carries about 70% of the mitocandria DNA. And research has shown that after three or more generations on quality feed, deer will be larger. It unlocks genes that are otherwise closed...

LONGHUNTER, Please show the research you speak of. Thanks Daniel

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8715579 10/23/22 02:59 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
A few years back I had the chance to work with a degreed Wildlife Biologist . If I remember correct and I may not, but he told me that deer (bucks) could not and did not benefit from intake of protein greater than 14%, any protein taken in greater than 14% was thrown off by the body. So if true and natural browse provides the 14% needed how does sacked protein help? Thanks Daniel

Last edited by DLALLDER; 10/23/22 02:59 PM.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8715582 10/23/22 03:10 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
No way they will be the same, they have different mothers. And the doe carries about 70% of the mitocandria DNA. And research has shown that after three or more generations on quality feed, deer will be larger. It unlocks genes that are otherwise closed...

LONGHUNTER, Please show the research you speak of. Thanks Daniel

He is talking about the epigenetics study that was done a few years back in MS.
I beloeve this is the one, but i coupd he wrong since i dont have my reading eyes on….

Genetics and whitetail deer

I may be wrong and speaking out of turn for him tho, so please feel free to post up any other research you may be describing Longhunter

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 10/23/22 03:11 PM.
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8715613 10/23/22 03:43 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
You are correct buckeye, that is some of the research I was speaking of. There is a wealth of information on their web site, and others like A&M. There is more science on the whitetail, than just about any other wild mammal....

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8715653 10/23/22 04:28 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
A few years back I had the chance to work with a degreed Wildlife Biologist . If I remember correct and I may not, but he told me that deer (bucks) could not and did not benefit from intake of protein greater than 14%, any protein taken in greater than 14% was thrown off by the body. So if true and natural browse provides the 14% needed how does sacked protein help? Thanks Daniel

I think what he was getting at is use protein at levels below 15%. They will benefit from added protein but their bodies can not utilize more than 14% of the protein they take in. No use feeding 20% protein if they just take in 14%, the rest is waste by product for them if true.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8715683 10/23/22 05:14 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Deer love Guajillo and is way more than 14% protein. Same goes for cottonseed.

Huisache has about highest protein value in the pasture and deer ignore it. There must be some sort of natural balancing act.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Hudbone] #8715850 10/23/22 09:14 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Huisache has about highest protein value in the pasture and deer ignore it. There must be some sort of natural balancing act.

Hud, never heard of either one. Probably doesn't grow in NE Texas. Hud, are you talking about the pepper plant? Daniel

Last edited by DLALLDER; 10/23/22 09:53 PM.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8716046 10/24/22 12:27 AM
F
Frio Town Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F

Daniel, the rumen function of an adult whitetail needs about 7% protein in order to do it's thing. Optimal diet for a mature buck requires about a 16% diet for full antler development. I feed 24/7/365 with either 18% or 20% in order to take care of weaned fawns so they develop and grow properly. They are the future herd sires and does so it makes sense to help them.

Frio

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Hudbone] #8716057 10/24/22 12:34 AM
F
Frio Town Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F

Hudbone - Guajillo at it's highest level is about 28%. That's in the spring and it drops off dramatically as does most all of our south Texas brush. Last spring and this spring were real buggers due to that freeze in Feb. 2021. Huisache at it's highest is around 27% in the summer. I don't blame deer for not eating it. Personally I can't stand the way it smells!!

Frio

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Frio Town] #8716273 10/24/22 09:51 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Frio Town

Hudbone - Guajillo at it's highest level is about 28%. That's in the spring and it drops off dramatically as does most all of our south Texas brush. Last spring and this spring were real buggers due to that freeze in Feb. 2021. Huisache at it's highest is around 27% in the summer. I don't blame deer for not eating it. Personally I can't stand the way it smells!!

Frio

I always thought Huisache was the highest protein content in the STX pasture - must've been wrong. Deer do like "fresh" growth Guajillo, no doubt about that,

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8716442 10/24/22 01:44 PM
S
Sparta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
QSYB, that is exactly what I am talking about....that kind of info could give us some good insight into this question.

Do you have any idea the size gains in protein fed vs non-fed years?

In typical years, the weaning weights of creep-fed lambs were about 12% more than the weights of non-fed lambs, 72lbs versus 65lbs. Also, if started around the 4-6 week age-mark, we were able to wean them 3-4 weeks earlier as they grew faster.

This summer I kept 20 lambs beyond weaning, as I did last year. This year each animal got 1lb of protein per day in addition to range forage. Both last year and this year, forage was not great. After ~100 days on feed, the 20 this year outweighed last year's non-fed group by 11%, 120lbs vs 108. The additional weight was mainly in their frame, judging from appearances.

We also have done a ram test in the past, where rams at 130-150 lbs were put on straight feed in a small lot. Their typical gain was ~1lb per day. As you can see, the above lambs on pasture/protein mix only added ~.5lbs per day. The quality of feed and how much energy they expend to get it has a definite impact on growth rates.

Originally Posted by Sparta

I should have done a better job reading the OP's question. I was strictly referring to antler potential and not body weight. Genetics and range conditions determine the max potential of antlers. IF there are ideal range conditions then they should be reaching their potential in terms of antler growth. Thus, I don't believe protein will do much if anything for antler growth in the OP's scenario. As far as body weight, I don't think it's accurate to compare fattening up a beef cow in a lot to a free range deer in the wild. I would agree if we were talking about comparing fattening up a beef cow to a penned deer eating protein. Now I never considered that aspect of standing in one spot vs walking around for forage. I think QSYB could be on to something there.

We've have below average range conditions and have been feeding protein for 5 years. We go through about 1000 pounds a week and have seen a noticeable improvement in antler development but I have not noticed any change in average body weight for our mature bucks (I realize that is antidotal).

The beef cow was an extreme example, to illustrate the difference between almost zero-energy expenditure vs almost total energy expenditure in the acquisition of food. I am surprised that you are not seeing a change in body weights due to additional available protein. Do you feel you are far below maximum carrying capacity? I ask, as a friend went to an MLD plan in the early 2000s. They did not add protein, but did remove 83 deer from 3500 low-fenced acres the first year. I believe they killed an additional ~200 over the next four years. The baseline study, while a small sample size, showed their dressed weights for mature bucks increased from 119 lbs to 136lbs in those five years. This was on forage only, which they increased by removing mouths. Are the mature deer you are harvesting the same age as those you're comparing against? I can see them not being all that much different at 6.5/7.5, but would expect them to be well ahead of their age-groups prior to maturity. Example, if you caught OP's two bucks at three years of age, the protein buck would outweigh the control by 10-15%, as the additional calories are allowing him to grow faster, even if the same weight is reached at full maturity.

I would need to go back a look at the records for our culls. For us, 4 years old 8pt and below is a cull. I never really thought to look at weight differences there but it does seem like our culls have been bigger. As far as carrying capacity, we've never had a professional come out to do a study but my educated guess is that we are way over capacity. Our landowner was always against MLD so we never bothered having a study done. However, if we go online and map out our property on the MLD site it suggest taking out a lot of does.

Just this year our landowner transferred ownership over to his daughter. She is more interested in land and herd management so we are looking to start the MLD process very soon.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide