Page 1 of 2 1 2
BUCKS & PROTEIN #8713630 10/20/22 07:02 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
This is going to be hypothetic question about growing bigger bucks. Suppose you have 2 bucks born the same day and with the exact same genetics, but born on separate ranches. Ranch #1 has ample supply of natural forage and browse but NO Protein. 2nd Ranch has same natural forage and browse but the deer have access to PROTEIN 24/365.
My question is will you see a difference in body size or rack size in these 2 specific bucks? If so, at what age will the difference show up, 1.5 yo or will the deer need to be mature, 4.5 yo ? Okay GURUS , put your thinking caps on. Thanks Daniel

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8713633 10/20/22 07:07 PM
S
Sparta Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
I don't think you'd see that much of a difference if any at all. My belief is that natural forage/browse is superior and preferred by deer. There is no need to feed protein if you have ample natural forage/browse year round. Just my 2 cents for what that's worth.

Last edited by Sparta; 10/20/22 07:07 PM.
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8713731 10/20/22 09:21 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
This is where theory and reality collide. In theory, B1 and B2 were born on the same day with the same exact genetics, then separated onto different ranches. This is where the first part of your experiment can fail...what type of nurturing did each receive for that first year, it makes a big difference based on research. Lets assume the exact same nurturing.

So then the next question becomes what is the physical stress component of the ranches comparatively. If one has increased predation, weather stressors, or other environmental stressors, this can impact the overall size of the deer, presumably in the early years but this would catch up in the middle aged years some and then be noticeable again in the aged years, with the more stressed buck being smaller and less antler than the less stressed buck.

The next question becomes how effective was the learned browsing behavior of B1 in granting maximal nutrition compared to B2. There is some possibility you could see the protein fed buck having a slightly lesser body stature simply because it hasn't had to learn effective browsing habits, but would the amount of protein consumed offset this? Hard to tell. Another area to consider are the minerals and trace elements present in the protein, and how that impacts deer body and (more importantly) antler size. My guess is unless there were viable minerals for both bucks, you would begin to see a difference in the protein fed deer getting bigger antlers simply from the minerals present over the years while the browsing deer will have some deficiencies in some minerals that would lead to less optimal antler growth. Again, hard to say for certain, but since the mineral component wasn't mentioned, it is a possibility. Given enough native browse variety, deer should not be overly mineral deficient. The body size and antler mass of deer in studies has always gone up in protein feeding situations, but this is also NOT in the face of ample and/or maximal native browse availability. It would be very interesting to study this in some controlled manner, unfortunately there exists no place in nature that has ample natural browse available.

there are more things to consider, but the biggest and most important issue to discuss is rut pressure, meaning how long and how hard do the bucks go into the season for rut activity. A buck that runs longer into the season due to way out of balance doe ratios is going to lose so much more body mass and future antler compared to one that doesn't have to run as long. This is the single most important variable in my mind that will impact body size and antler size differences at ages 4-7+

I am sure I am forgetting other stuff, but did I waffle enough for you?

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8713772 10/20/22 10:34 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I think he wants us to assume that every single thing is exactly the same except one gets protein.

Last edited by freerange; 10/20/22 10:34 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Texas buckeye] #8713791 10/20/22 11:11 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
This is where theory and reality collide. In theory, B1 and B2 were born on the same day with the same exact genetics, then separated onto different ranches. This is where the first part of your experiment can fail...what type of nurturing did each receive for that first year, it makes a big difference based on research. Lets assume the exact same nurturing.

So then the next question becomes what is the physical stress component of the ranches comparatively. If one has increased predation, weather stressors, or other environmental stressors, this can impact the overall size of the deer, presumably in the early years but this would catch up in the middle aged years some and then be noticeable again in the aged years, with the more stressed buck being smaller and less antler than the less stressed buck.

The next question becomes how effective was the learned browsing behavior of B1 in granting maximal nutrition compared to B2. There is some possibility you could see the protein fed buck having a slightly lesser body stature simply because it hasn't had to learn effective browsing habits, but would the amount of protein consumed offset this? Hard to tell. Another area to consider are the minerals and trace elements present in the protein, and how that impacts deer body and (more importantly) antler size. My guess is unless there were viable minerals for both bucks, you would begin to see a difference in the protein fed deer getting bigger antlers simply from the minerals present over the years while the browsing deer will have some deficiencies in some minerals that would lead to less optimal antler growth. Again, hard to say for certain, but since the mineral component wasn't mentioned, it is a possibility. Given enough native browse variety, deer should not be overly mineral deficient. The body size and antler mass of deer in studies has always gone up in protein feeding situations, but this is also NOT in the face of ample and/or maximal native browse availability. It would be very interesting to study this in some controlled manner, unfortunately there exists no place in nature that has ample natural browse available.

there are more things to consider, but the biggest and most important issue to discuss is rut pressure, meaning how long and how hard do the bucks go into the season for rut activity. A buck that runs longer into the season due to way out of balance doe ratios is going to lose so much more body mass and future antler compared to one that doesn't have to run as long. This is the single most important variable in my mind that will impact body size and antler size differences at ages 4-7+

I am sure I am forgetting other stuff, but did I waffle enough for you?

No, I am old enough to know the difference between waffle & BS.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: freerange] #8713792 10/20/22 11:12 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by freerange
I think he wants us to assume that every single thing is exactly the same except one gets protein.

freerange, you are exactly correct.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8713804 10/20/22 11:33 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Got to believe it helps, how much who knows, 10-25% growth?

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8713858 10/21/22 12:48 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
If you don't believe supplemental feeding is to the betterment of a herd, then don't do it. I would request info on what detriment providing protein would cause to the herd and maybe I will see it here.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Hudbone] #8713930 10/21/22 02:11 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
If you don't believe supplemental feeding is to the betterment of a herd, then don't do it. I would request info on what detriment providing protein would cause to the herd and maybe I will see it here.

I dont think anyone thinks its a detriment. Hes just wondering "how much" it helps. Then he would likely weigh the costs against that improvement.
Ive always felt that to half azz do it and/or on a small place thats its not helping much and especially compared to the cost. To do it properly it takes a lot of money over a committed amount of time. Its up to everyone to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Last edited by freerange; 10/21/22 02:12 AM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8713932 10/21/22 02:14 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
IF every other aspect of the two bucks life is the exact same, then research has absolutely shown year round free choice protein does benefit deer. How much in this hypothetical? I can not imagine much more than about 10-15%

But that is just a WAG not based on anything anyone could EVER prove.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8713935 10/21/22 02:17 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Dont forget about the does. Protein needs to be a lifestyle change for ALL the deer in order to fully get the max out of it. A fawn needs to be born to a healthy doe and then live out its life on protein to fully benefit. It takes a full generation to reap the benefits.
Of course, Ive never fed protein, so theres that. But I have stayed in a whole lot of Holiday Inn Expresses in good deer country, and I keep my ears and eyes open for those that are in the know.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8713949 10/21/22 02:30 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
FR, good points. There are some that use protein as an attractant, some that use it as a supplement for either increasing carrying capacity or for supplemental feed during leaner times, and there are people who use it to change the deer herd. None of these are mutually exclusive to each other and they are in sequential order for length of time for effect How far any one place goes on that scale depends on money and effort desired, and of course time,

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Texas buckeye] #8714022 10/21/22 10:26 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
IF every other aspect of the two bucks life is the exact same, then research has absolutely shown year round free choice protein does benefit deer. How much in this hypothetical? I can not imagine much more than about 10-15%

But that is just a WAG not based on anything anyone could EVER prove.

I bet that is a minimum and does not consider the effects of compounding through the generations.

This dear was taken first year on the lease. No protein. He was 6 1/2 and scored a solid 152 (my dream deer).

[Linked Image]

Started feeding protein the next year. Got real religious about it the year after. Six years after my dream buck, this guy showed up. He was pretty much raised up with the benefit of a fairly intensive protein feeding regimen. 6 1/2, 36 inches of mass and and a pretty solid 176 and some change. Don't really care if I ever get anything better, but we'll see.
[Linked Image]

The next year, the deer that was right behind the stud the year before blew up. I let my buddy come over to my blind and he did what he needed to do. 6 1/2 and in the 180's - the highest scoring net typical taken on a low fence ranch and entered into TBGA.

[Linked Image]

There were other factors in our management plan which I am sure helped. I do not know what these animals would have done without protein, but I do know what they did with it.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8714142 10/21/22 01:42 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Hudbone, awesome deer for sure, but you are taking one big part of the OP question out, and that is AMPLE available browse....meaning the deer that isn't protein fed is fed maximally by natural stuff. That is a situation we have maybe never seen in Texas or most states honestly, but there might be little pockets of ample natural browse in very isolated areas.

I have already stated that protein feeding makes a big difference to almost any situation as (stated above) there is almost never ample available browse for the bucks. Thus, protein can have a dramatic effect on the herd when given in a year round free choice program that is set up for generational type changes. I am seeing that now on my place as I have been feeding for the 5 years I have owned it and I am beginning to see very good antler structure on young bucks I didn't see before.

But, to the OPs question, in a ideal situation where deer have enough to eat naturally, would protein make that big a difference? I think it still would. 10-15% might be low, might not.

But 152 to 180' growth is only looking at 18-19% increase, even high 80's (189) is at most 24%.....so I might not be too far off, and I would bet it isn't even that high. Who knows.

BTW, the 152 to 175" increase is 15% but that is assuming the 152" deer had ample natural browse its whole life, which we all know is near impossible anywhere in texas.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 10/21/22 01:46 PM.
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Sparta] #8714148 10/21/22 01:53 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Sparta
I don't think you'd see that much of a difference if any at all. My belief is that natural forage/browse is superior and preferred by deer. There is no need to feed protein if you have ample natural forage/browse year round. Just my 2 cents for what that's worth.

Yeah, those grass-fed beefs mature so much faster and weigh so much more than those in a feedlot due to the boost of natural forage. And those NFL lineman are all eating kale salads and cottage cheese. Sorry, I woke up snarky, but you seriously don't think you'll see a difference?

Every animal in the known world benefits from easier food. Now, if you want to talk ROI on feeding protein to deer, I'm sure we'll have a similar opinion, but having fed cattle and sheep most of my life, the difference between fed and non-fed is very noticeable.

Last edited by QuitShootinYoungBucks; 10/21/22 01:54 PM.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8714160 10/21/22 02:00 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Yeah, those grass-fed beefs mature so much faster and weigh so much more than those in a feedlot due to the boost of natural forage. And those NFL lineman are all eating kale salads and cottage cheese. Sorry, I woke up snarky, but you seriously don't think you'll see a difference?

Every animal in the known world benefits from easier food. Now, if you want to talk ROI on feeding protein to deer, I'm sure we'll have a similar opinion, but having fed cattle and sheep most of my life, the difference between fed and non-fed is very noticeable.

Not discounting the examples above, because those examples could be where some conclusions about deer could be drawn from, BUT....the OP question is similar to asking if a cow in a 30 acre pasture by itself (and maybe that needs to be bigger, I have read, and been told in casual convo of 10 acres being the minimum per head for enough pasture) and having plenty of available natural munchies for that one cow to eat its entire life over years.

The cow example is typically a bunch of cattle in a smaller than ideal environment and the fattening process takes place over a season or two max. Talking apples to oranges, but also more in line with what we see in Texas hunting lands where deer are over crowded, food is limited, so protein feeding is a huge help to the deer. NOT what the OP was asking.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8714163 10/21/22 02:02 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
No way they will be the same, they have different mothers. And the doe carries about 70% of the mitocandria DNA. And research has shown that after three or more generations on quality feed, deer will be larger. It unlocks genes that are otherwise closed...

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Texas buckeye] #8714179 10/21/22 02:14 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Not discounting the examples above, because those examples could be where some conclusions about deer could be drawn from, BUT....the OP question is similar to asking if a cow in a 30 acre pasture by itself (and maybe that needs to be bigger, I have read, and been told in casual convo of 10 acres being the minimum per head for enough pasture) and having plenty of available natural munchies for that one cow to eat its entire life over years.

The cow example is typically a bunch of cattle in a smaller than ideal environment and the fattening process takes place over a season or two max. Talking apples to oranges, but also more in line with what we see in Texas hunting lands where deer are over crowded, food is limited, so protein feeding is a huge help to the deer. NOT what the OP was asking.

Op's question is exactly how we treat lambs. They have a quality pasture with a good mother, but at the end of the day there is a protein creep feeder that they have access to with unlimited protein. There is a noticeable difference in both the amount of weight gained and how fast it is gained versus years where we chose not to feed protein supplement. If an animal can stand in one spot, even for 10 minutes, and ingest better food (more concentrated protein), versus having to walk and eat, it will come out ahead.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8714194 10/21/22 02:25 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
QSYB, that is exactly what I am talking about....that kind of info could give us some good insight into this question.

Do you have any idea the size gains in protein fed vs non-fed years?

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8714209 10/21/22 02:40 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Somes are way over thinking this.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8714224 10/21/22 02:58 PM
S
Sparta Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
I

Op's question is exactly how we treat lambs. They have a quality pasture with a good mother, but at the end of the day there is a protein creep feeder that they have access to with unlimited protein. There is a noticeable difference in both the amount of weight gained and how fast it is gained versus years where we chose not to feed protein supplement. If an animal can stand in one spot, even for 10 minutes, and ingest better food (more concentrated protein), versus having to walk and eat, it will come out ahead.

I should have done a better job reading the OP's question. I was strictly referring to antler potential and not body weight. Genetics and range conditions determine the max potential of antlers. IF there are ideal range conditions then they should be reaching their potential in terms of antler growth. Thus, I don't believe protein will do much if anything for antler growth in the OP's scenario. As far as body weight, I don't think it's accurate to compare fattening up a beef cow in a lot to a free range deer in the wild. I would agree if we were talking about comparing fattening up a beef cow to a penned deer eating protein. Now I never considered that aspect of standing in one spot vs walking around for forage. I think QSYB could be on to something there.

We've have below average range conditions and have been feeding protein for 5 years. We go through about 1000 pounds a week and have seen a noticeable improvement in antler development but I have not noticed any change in average body weight for our mature bucks (I realize that is antidotal).

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: Sparta] #8714244 10/21/22 03:53 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
QSYB, that is exactly what I am talking about....that kind of info could give us some good insight into this question.

Do you have any idea the size gains in protein fed vs non-fed years?

In typical years, the weaning weights of creep-fed lambs were about 12% more than the weights of non-fed lambs, 72lbs versus 65lbs. Also, if started around the 4-6 week age-mark, we were able to wean them 3-4 weeks earlier as they grew faster.

This summer I kept 20 lambs beyond weaning, as I did last year. This year each animal got 1lb of protein per day in addition to range forage. Both last year and this year, forage was not great. After ~100 days on feed, the 20 this year outweighed last year's non-fed group by 11%, 120lbs vs 108. The additional weight was mainly in their frame, judging from appearances.

We also have done a ram test in the past, where rams at 130-150 lbs were put on straight feed in a small lot. Their typical gain was ~1lb per day. As you can see, the above lambs on pasture/protein mix only added ~.5lbs per day. The quality of feed and how much energy they expend to get it has a definite impact on growth rates.

I should have done a better job reading the OP's question. I was strictly referring to antler potential and not body weight. Genetics and range conditions determine the max potential of antlers. IF there are ideal range conditions then they should be reaching their potential in terms of antler growth. Thus, I don't believe protein will do much if anything for antler growth in the OP's scenario. As far as body weight, I don't think it's accurate to compare fattening up a beef cow in a lot to a free range deer in the wild. I would agree if we were talking about comparing fattening up a beef cow to a penned deer eating protein. Now I never considered that aspect of standing in one spot vs walking around for forage. I think QSYB could be on to something there.

We've have below average range conditions and have been feeding protein for 5 years. We go through about 1000 pounds a week and have seen a noticeable improvement in antler development but I have not noticed any change in average body weight for our mature bucks (I realize that is antidotal).

The beef cow was an extreme example, to illustrate the difference between almost zero-energy expenditure vs almost total energy expenditure in the acquisition of food. I am surprised that you are not seeing a change in body weights due to additional available protein. Do you feel you are far below maximum carrying capacity? I ask, as a friend went to an MLD plan in the early 2000s. They did not add protein, but did remove 83 deer from 3500 low-fenced acres the first year. I believe they killed an additional ~200 over the next four years. The baseline study, while a small sample size, showed their dressed weights for mature bucks increased from 119 lbs to 136lbs in those five years. This was on forage only, which they increased by removing mouths. Are the mature deer you are harvesting the same age as those you're comparing against? I can see them not being all that much different at 6.5/7.5, but would expect them to be well ahead of their age-groups prior to maturity. Example, if you caught OP's two bucks at three years of age, the protein buck would outweigh the control by 10-15%, as the additional calories are allowing him to grow faster, even if the same weight is reached at full maturity.

[Linked Image]

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8714257 10/21/22 04:10 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
have fed protein on a large free range ranch for 15 years - we added cottonseed around 7-8 years ago.

IMO the difference supplemental feed makes (and makes it worth paying for) is during droughts when the natural browse is not there in abundance. This is where I think a person would see the advantage long term by feeding protein versus just natural browse.

I have also said for years that if I was on a ranch that could have irrigation in order to plant food plots I would take that over any other supplemental feed.

My experience after seeing hundreds of thousand game camera pictures at protein feeders is that deer in general will spend 10-20 minutes at a protein feeder versus spending hours in a food plot. They ingest way more in a field than at a feeder IMO.

You can't fix stupid
Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: DLALLDER] #8714342 10/21/22 06:26 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I agree with what tlk said, deer will browse my food plots (when they come up) much longer than hanging at my protein feeder. I also agree i would love to have irrigation so i could have near bomb proof plots.

Going by what QSYB said above, i think i will stand by my 10-15% difference.

Re: BUCKS & PROTEIN [Re: tlk] #8714372 10/21/22 07:19 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by tlk
have fed protein on a large free range ranch for 15 years - we added cottonseed around 7-8 years ago.

IMO the difference supplemental feed makes (and makes it worth paying for) is during droughts when the natural browse is not there in abundance. This is where I think a person would see the advantage long term by feeding protein versus just natural browse.

I have also said for years that if I was on a ranch that could have irrigation in order to plant food plots I would take that over any other supplemental feed.

My experience after seeing hundreds of thousand game camera pictures at protein feeders is that deer in general will spend 10-20 minutes at a protein feeder versus spending hours in a food plot. They ingest way more in a field than at a feeder IMO.

Most of what they're eating in a field is water, not concentrated pellets. Compare a salad to a protein bar, volume-wise, when you have enough salad to equal the same amount of protein. One pound of alfalfa sprouts (which are much higher in protein than oats and other common deer forage) contains about 17gr of protein; a pound of pellets contains 70-80 grams of protein. So they have to eat four to five pounds of forage to get the same protein.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide