Forums46
Topics539,655
Posts9,752,215
Members87,173
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713287 10/20/22 10:27 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
I guess I have to come to the THF and get permission to buy my piece of the American dream. Eff that, I figured out how to do chit on my own in the past, owning land no matter the size will be no different. Falling down, making mistakes are part of the journey. Snivelers and whiners...quit your _itchin.

You say your from Frisco, eh?

Nope

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: machinist] #8713290 10/20/22 10:36 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by machinist
Did you see Planet of the Apes. It maybe true before too long

^ watches way to much TV

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8713313 10/20/22 11:49 AM
maximus_flavius Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I guess I have to come to the THF and get permission to buy my piece of the American dream. Eff that, I figured out how to do chit on my own in the past, owning land no matter the size will be no different. Falling down, making mistakes are part of the journey. Snivelers and whiners...quit your _itchin.

Nope

Right, I’m sure here’s lotsa ranching experts in Frisco.

Ok, you just live there now, but now tell us what suburb you grew up in.

A lot of times, city people will name off some random suburb of some big city, like that makes a difference.

Frisco is just north Dallas. If your in Dallas county, your in Dallas, no need to try & sound fancy.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 10/20/22 11:49 AM.
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713328 10/20/22 12:10 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Nope

A lot of times, city people will name off some random suburb of some big city, like that makes a difference.

Frisco is just north Dallas. If your in Dallas county, your in Dallas, no need to try & sound fancy.

I live in Frisco, I have a 5000 acres ranch sitting about 1/4 mile from me. Not alot of ranches left in the area due to land selling for about 1.5 million per acres in the area. But still some ranches, if you have 10 acres you can hunt with a shotgun inside city limits and 50 acres will let you use rifle inside city limits from what I remember.

Sadly the hunting spots are drying up.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713344 10/20/22 12:34 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I’m a BIG believer in real estate investment.

I bought my 133 acre place 38 years ago for $408 per acre. Put cows on it to get an Ag exemption. Spent a lot of time building and fixing fences. It’s considered recreational property due to being heavily forested. I don’t live there. Now have been offered $9,000 per acre. Haven’t had to lease a hunting spot since.

Later I bought adjoining 70 acres but don’t remember how much I paid. Ran some cows there also. Kept it about 5 years and sold it for enough to pay off everything I owed including my home in Hurst and a couple of rentals. Put my original down payment and payments in the bank.

Both places have had Ag exemptions or I couldn’t have afforded them. When the Wildlife exemption became available I sold the cows and started caring for everything from chiggers to deer and pigs.

When wife and I married we kept the houses, rented them out, and bought our own home. Renters have paid them off. We are going to sell one of them soon. DFW real estate has doubled+ in the last 25 years. That’s going to create a tax hickey due to having to recapture the depreciation.

I would like to say that our 401K’s have done as well. They haven’t because the stock market hasn’t kept up with either inflation or real estate.

Thoughts. Pay attention to opportunities but also take advantage of 401K’s and/or other pension plans. Own your own home. Don’t rent. Buy real estate at someone else’s expense when possible. Don’t have kids until you can afford them.

I’m not real smart and if I can do it, anybody can. Be an opportunist.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 10/20/22 12:35 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: txtrophy85] #8713346 10/20/22 12:41 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Well that sucks!

What is happening to the countryside with solar farms and wind farms is a crime against nature.

I cannot stand wind farms and think even less of solar farms.

True conservationists have to speak up, as this is a total destruction of the land

What if that ranch took that solar lease money and bought another ranch and higher acreage. It’s hard to tell a rancher not to turn a living off his ranch while being able to expand his holdings at same time. That’s a surface rights rarity in todays age. Green is a scam but it’s easy for Eagle Ford and STX ranch owners to point fingers at WTX Solar and wind guys with their pinky’s up in the air with $100 barrel mail box money.

I don’t fault the ranch at all for signing that solar lease, and I’m on that lease. That ranch had to sell 70% of stock sue to drought

I tried to do the exact same thing on my own place. unfortunately solar backed out when trump got elected. Had some other land picked out that was perfect!!

There isn’t a rancher or farmer in US making guaranteed surface rights money that solar brings in. That’s truth of it. All those leases have reclamation bonds so risk really isnt that high.

I’m not faulting the rancher, I’m faulting the system that put them into existence in the first place.

No doubt solar pays well, and a person has to do what they have to do, but it’s a horrible use of a natural resource.

If the government subsidized the beef and livestock industry like they do green energy it would be a non issue. Instead we are told cow farts are bad but xeriscaping a property to erect foreign made solar panels to power homes hundred of miles away is good.

Make people put solar panels on their roofs and the problem is solved! But Joe and Susie suburb won’t be having any of that

Conservationists have little to no influence in this. It is done in the name of feeding the needs of the city dwellers. Pushed by politicians kept in office by the voting power of city dwellers with little or no concern for land or habitat. The only way it will be stymied is for the majority of the city dwelling ranch experts in their concrete jungle to battle it at the polls. Fact.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713348 10/20/22 12:43 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Nope

I am probably one of many people he would call asking for farm and ranch advice on equipment and methodology. And being the smart man he is, I would not bet against him.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8713353 10/20/22 12:48 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I’m a BIG believer in real estate investment.

I bought my 133 acre place 38 years ago for $408 per acre. Put cows on it to get an Ag exemption. Spent a lot of time building and fixing fences. It’s considered recreational property due to being heavily forested. I don’t live there. Now have been offered $9,000 per acre. Haven’t had to lease a hunting spot since.

Later I bought adjoining 70 acres but don’t remember how much I paid. Ran some cows there also. Kept it about 5 years and sold it for enough to pay off everything I owed including my home in Hurst and a couple of rentals. Put my original down payment and payments in the bank.

Both places have had Ag exemptions or I couldn’t have afforded them. When the Wildlife exemption became available I sold the cows and started caring for everything from chiggers to deer and pigs.

When wife and I married we kept the houses, rented them out, and bought our own home. Renters have paid them off. We are going to sell one of them soon. DFW real estate has doubled+ in the last 25 years. That’s going to create a tax hickey due to having to recapture the depreciation.

I would like to say that our 401K’s have done as well. They haven’t because the stock market hasn’t kept up with either inflation or real estate.

Thoughts. Pay attention to opportunities but also take advantage of 401K’s and/or other pension plans. Own your own home. Don’t rent. Buy real estate at someone else’s expense when possible. Don’t have kids until you can afford them.

I’m not real smart and if I can do it, anybody can. Be an opportunist.

God led me to make the right decisions over the last 20 years.

Bought two acres, house and shop in 2002, in Melissa.

Bought 70 acres of 60% grass, and 40% trees for $2k an acre in 2013.

Build everything now standing on that 70 myself. Shop, house fences, driveway, all of it.

Sold Melissa 11 months ago.

Wrote a check to pay off everything but the house. The land is now worth $6k an acre.

So I totally agree with you.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713361 10/20/22 12:56 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Nope

I live in Frisco because I need to be close to a major airport, I'm not retired yet.

I have never owned a large parcel of land but currently looking at three property's (not in Frisco) between 80-100 acres. I ironically two of the land owners are selling because they want to move to the city (suburbs). confused2

Of course I have NO IDEA what I'm doing when it comes to "ranching" but I certainly know a plethora of people and land owners that do and I would not hesitate to reach out to anyone of them should I need help.

I'm not really buying land to "ranch" anyway. When I do retire, I want my own fishing hole, nice gun range, picture perfect sun sets and peace and quiet.

Carry on.

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 10/20/22 12:58 PM.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713382 10/20/22 01:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Nope

Frisco is Collin and Denton County

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Payne] #8713390 10/20/22 01:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Payne
Mammoth? Bobo

Speculation is it will be bigger, current lease acreage they have right now says it will be close. The biggest limiting factor is if they can get the transmission line capacity. I’ve heard both so we will see.

It’s interesting seeing them bull doze and clear of all mesquites, back to the way it probably was in the 1700’s.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8713406 10/20/22 02:09 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I live in Frisco because I need to be close to a major airport, I'm not retired yet.

I have never owned a large parcel of land but currently looking at three property's (not in Frisco) between 80-100 acres. I ironically two of the land owners are selling because they want to move to the city (suburbs). confused2

Of course I have NO IDEA what I'm doing when it comes to "ranching" but I certainly know a plethora of people and land owners that do and I would not hesitate to reach out to anyone of them should I need help.

I'm not really buying land to "ranch" anyway. When I do retire, I want my own fishing hole, nice gun range, picture perfect sun sets and peace and quiet.

Carry on.

Just know unless you have a huge piece of land living in the country doesn’t get you away from everything. We bought our place 2 years ago. Since a solar farm went in 2 properties down, a cell tower went in along our east fence and the neighbor across the county roads dumb arse son that knocked up his girlfriend is living in a travel trailer across from my mailbox. I guess I’m no peach either, my neighbors think I shoot too much.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: redchevy] #8713462 10/20/22 03:10 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by redchevy

Carry on.

Just know unless you have a huge piece of land living in the country doesn’t get you away from everything. We bought our place 2 years ago. Since a solar farm went in 2 properties down, a cell tower went in along our east fence and the neighbor across the county roads dumb arse son that knocked up his girlfriend is living in a travel trailer across from my mailbox. I guess I’m no peach either, my neighbors think I shoot too much.

Yep, if youre moving to get "out", then you better move "way" out.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713479 10/20/22 03:34 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I too bought a place and know zero about ranching. I think being able to say the words "I don't know" about a subject is actually a sign of strength and self-confidence. 'Met many an arrogant S.O.B. that can't admit he doesn't know something, even if the subject is nuclear physics. Anyhow, no cows, no grass lease, just the wildlife thing. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The last place, 163 acres, in south Gillespie County, we had for 50 years.

Luckily, the guy that had this place before me for 20 years didn't do jack squat nor did he spend a dime on it. So, as long as I don't catch the place on fire, anything I attempt is actually improving the place.

It's great that some folks have land that's been in the family for 4,5,6 generations. However, in some circumstances, it just shows a lack of imagination by the group and doesn't justify looking down on others. bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Creekrunner] #8713486 10/20/22 03:46 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I too bought a place and know zero about ranching. I think being able to say the words "I don't know" about a subject is actually a sign of strength and self-confidence. 'Met many an arrogant S.O.B. that can't admit he doesn't know something, even if the subject is nuclear physics. Anyhow, no cows, no grass lease, just the wildlife thing. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The last place, 163 acres, in south Gillespie County, we had for 50 years.

Luckily, the guy that had this place before me for 20 years didn't do jack squat nor did he spend a dime on it. So, as long as I don't catch the place on fire, anything I attempt is actually improving the place.

It's great that some folks have land that's been in the family for 4,5,6 generations. However, in some circumstances, it just shows a lack of imagination by the group and doesn't justify looking down on others. bolt

I’ve heard that a little fire occasionally will help more than it hurts.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713492 10/20/22 03:52 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yeah, I've talked with the head of the controlled burn association in the area. You have to learn, then volunteer on other's, etc., which is as it should be. But I'm just too much of a worry wart to attempt it.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Creekrunner] #8713494 10/20/22 03:55 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Yeah, I've talked with the head of the controlled burn association in the area. You have to learn, then volunteer on other's, etc., which is as it should be. But I'm just too much of a worry wart to attempt it.

Someone fixed that for us and tossed a cig out on the county road.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: redchevy] #8713496 10/20/22 03:58 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by redchevy

Someone fixed that for us and tossed a cig out on the county road.

I heard that just happened in Temple which caught 70+ cars on fire. Wonder if they caught the smoker that did it.

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 10/20/22 03:59 PM.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Creekrunner] #8713497 10/20/22 03:58 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I too bought a place and know zero about ranching. I think being able to say the words "I don't know" about a subject is actually a sign of strength and self-confidence.

Say it louder for those in the back!!!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713522 10/20/22 04:30 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
City people can be stupid in the country. Country people can be stupid in the city. There's smart and stupid people in all places. Asking questions is a good way to learn.

To be determined
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8713543 10/20/22 05:07 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
City people can be stupid in the country. Country people can be stupid in the city. There's smart and stupid people in all places. Asking questions is a good way to learn.

Is that "ranchish"?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8713548 10/20/22 05:15 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Is that "ranchish"?

Being around stupid people is a double edged sword. On one hand they boost my ego and make me feel superior while on the downside are irritating.

To be determined
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: J.G.] #8713552 10/20/22 05:21 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
I too bought a place and know zero about ranching. I think being able to say the words "I don't know" about a subject is actually a sign of strength and self-confidence.

popcorn i don't know, the only land i ever owned, tis this here dirt they use ta bury me with.
pappy
Originally Posted by J.D.
Say it louder for those in the back!!!

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8713557 10/20/22 05:29 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Is that "ranchish"?

Being around stupid people is a double edged sword. On one hand they boost my ego and make me feel superior while on the downside are irritating.

Yea, my ZFG attitude does not process "stoooopid" people either. Good luck with that. up

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713584 10/20/22 06:00 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
One wasn’t born knowing how to do much of anything other than pee, poop and cry.

Just about everything I’ve learned I learned either thru trial and error, reading on the subject or watching someone else/having them show me.

These “heavy ranchin’ “ threads crack me up.

It’s another form of “better than” self justification

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide