Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: You gotta love Montana [Re: Gw123] #8700063 10/02/22 01:28 PM
Geedubya Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by Gw123
It makes me sad that the vast majority of guns now days are made with synthetic stocks. I will always favor a pretty wood stock and blued metal

It is cheaper, you can abuse them with little consequence, and quite a few younger folk do not have the funds/desire for a quality wood stocked rifle.

A couple recent additions.......

[Linked Image]

Pre-enjoyed Colt Sauer in 300 Win Mag.

[Linked Image]

Pre-enjoyed J. Sipp Custom in 221 Fireball

ya!

GWB

Last edited by Geedubya; 10/02/22 01:32 PM.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw Blood
Re: You gotta love Montana [Re: Texas Dan] #8700096 10/02/22 02:54 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Find an Atwoods store and check out their ammo prices & the $'s on the couple dozen shooters usually on the rack. I shop the one in Jacksonville whenever I'm in town. Last time I looked they had Norma ammo in several calibers and 300Wmg's at way cheaper than anywhere else I know of back when I was shopping for another 300wmg after I did a dumb arsed thing and sold a unfired Wby SS 300 for waaaay too cheap. I also bought some great bore & chamber cleaner and a caliber appropriate brush I've never seen anywhere else, that I use to shoot the broke ejector Marlin 270 with . Spray some of this pink stuff into the chamber before you load the next round and you only have to barely tap the spent round with a cleaning rod or sometimes you can just bump the buttpad with the muzzle standing upright to get the fired round to drop out by itself when you pull the bolt all the way out. Never seen this pink stuff anywhere else either.

Re: the Marlin Model 7 STAINLESS STEEL ...A POX ON RUGER FOR PUTTING THIS POORLY DESIGNED EJECTOR ON A GREAT SHOOTING RIFLE in a Marlin Model 7. Oh by the way the chatter on some other sources sez Ruger is going to come out with the pirated designed LEVER ACTION rifles that Marlin had built for years. You can only hope Ruger doesn't do to the Lever action shooters what they did to the Model 7.
My Marlin Model 39 D 22 rimfire lever action gun is still shooting as well as it did when I found a unopened case of them hidden on a 4 story high steel rack somebody was trying to steal when we were closing the Schoellkopf warehouse in Carrollton in umm '79 I think it was, and was a given one of them as a reward.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 10/02/22 03:29 PM. Reason: Clarity

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: You gotta love Montana [Re: Geedubya] #8700222 10/02/22 08:34 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Geedubya
Originally Posted by Gw123
It makes me sad that the vast majority of guns now days are made with synthetic stocks. I will always favor a pretty wood stock and blued metal

It is cheaper, you can abuse them with little consequence, and quite a few younger folk do not have the funds/desire for a quality wood stocked rifle.

A couple recent additions.......

[Linked Image]

Pre-enjoyed Colt Sauer in 300 Win Mag.

[Linked Image]

Pre-enjoyed J. Sipp Custom in 221 Fireball

ya!

GWB

Beautiful rifles!

Re: You gotta love Montana [Re: Texas Dan] #8700236 10/02/22 09:09 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The missive above is a reflection of the contractor in Kentucky who is ID'd on the side of my barrel, that Ruger used to build my Marlin Model 7, and Ruger's lack of adequate engineering in specifying how the extractor was to be built out of normal steel material instead of pot metal. Everything else about the gun's parts fit and the workmanship is comparable to a Ruger or any other common US made rifle ...and it shoots little bitty groups if I am paying attention, with really old WW Ammo that I was using to break in the barrel when all the problems started and the extractor fell out of the chamber when I opened the bolt, to load another round for the next shot.

OTOH If I could find a Savage extractor I'm told that with some careful, judicious file work the Savage STEEL extractor will fit fine and last as normal ... but I should buy several of them if I expect to keep and use the Model 7 as I would any other rifle the rest of my life, but there are no Savage extractors to be found that I could find for almost the last year or so as they are all being used for other brands of rifles ...like my Marlin Model 7. It's possible in a couple years this will all resolve itself ....otherwise I've got a very expensive Stainless Steel and black composite canoe paddle.

OBTW the name of the pink bore cleaner at Atwoods is "Pro-Shot Products 1 Step Gun Cleaner & lubricant CLP" . "Cleans, Lubricates, & Protects in One Easy Step". The stuff works best with a correct sized for caliber metal chamber brush, and wiped clean the usual way you'd treat the bore of the barrel . You will be surprised at the amount of black soot that will come out of your chamber. I was , in a gun that had only been fired 10-15 times from Brand New....and looked exactly as new when I got thru.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: You gotta love Montana [Re: rickym] #8700243 10/02/22 09:20 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Jeez Louise !!! what magnificent piece of wood & workmanship in THAT rifle....I'll show this picture to my wife as a reminder that Santa Clause is coming soon...and pray she gets the dumb joke ....
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 10/02/22 10:19 PM. Reason: clarity

Re: You gotta love Montana [Re: Earl] #8701599 10/04/22 05:34 PM
J
jdangler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Earl
It may not be as quite as nice - will have to check again this season, but the Graham Texas Walmart has a pretty good selection as I remember. I do miss the days growing up when you could buy guns at Penny's, Sears, Western Auto, Gibsons, and every Maverick Market had ammo. Hell, I sold them myself at KMart where I worked in High School. All but Penny's are gone now and they are on their last legs and haven't had guns in years. I hear there is still a Gibsons in Weatherford, need to go there sometime for old times sake.

I spent my first couple of years of high school in Weatherford and you could walk into the Gibsons and they had a barrel full of SKSs that could be had for $99 a piece

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide