Forums46
Topics538,024
Posts9,731,968
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: Jgraider] #8691300 09/19/22 08:46 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I don't believe they work.

I find it interesting someone posting up how well a product has worked for them for many YEARS of using it. Then someone says they don't believe it works when they have never tried it. If it didn't work, I'd be the first to say it doesn't work. But guess what, it works and it works well for me. I use it EVERY time I'm in the bow stand, or in my close box blind.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691364 09/19/22 10:01 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I posted why. If it works for you get after it, as I said before.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691467 09/20/22 12:37 AM
10 Gauge Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
The nose jammer is the toughest one to get. It’s always wiped out at Walmart.

If the scent killer does not yield results I will keep it for degreasing my hands lol.

Im not gonna lie the stuff boosts my confidence a little bit. And I stumbled across a buck so big I thought he was a giant doe running off. I didn’t even register the white tips of his antlers hovering above his head at first because they were so tall.

But I was moving in admin mode, head down, sleep deprived, exhausted from rucking many miles carrying a pop blind and my 500 ib capacity collapsible camo chair from academy. Plus couple gallons water and food and a pair of waders etc.

This chair is important because I can sleep in it if I come dragging [censored] in from work at 4 am Saturday morning straight to the blind. Comfy chair, worth the work one time to put it in the blind for the season

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 09/20/22 12:38 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: Jgraider] #8691506 09/20/22 01:18 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I posted why. If it works for you get after it, as I said before.

Only one way to beat the wind/smell. Down wind and with the thermals

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691554 09/20/22 02:40 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
My distrust of the product doesn't come from whether I've used the product or not, but what I've learned about a whitetail nose. I don't agree that something can overload a whitetail's nose.

The only hope is not getting winded, or reducing your scent footprint to such an extent that the deer thinks you're too far away to be a threat.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691629 09/20/22 10:37 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
When you buy the stuff, it has successfully done what the manufacturer designed it for.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: Jgraider] #8691642 09/20/22 11:42 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I'm not going to stalk 190"+ mule deer smelling like vanilla.

What about pumpkin spice?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691654 09/20/22 11:53 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
My go to cover scent is fresh cow poop or moist soil. If you slightly dampen fresh top soil it gives off a fairly strong dirt smell and I’m quite certain deer are accustomed to that smell. I’ve tried about every scent there is and I’ve spooked more deer using them than without. Young deer don’t seem to mind them but older mature bucks and definitely the old blow at everything sensitive doe’s will leave the county when they get a wiff.

If you have confidence in something though I’d say use it but I’ll stick to the natural scents myself.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: Ol Thumper] #8691678 09/20/22 12:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
My go to cover scent is fresh cow poop or moist soil. If you slightly dampen fresh top soil it gives off a fairly strong dirt smell and I’m quite certain deer are accustomed to that smell. .

Thats what we were talking about earlier, there is no amount of cow poop or dirt you can put on your person to eliminate the scent. The science behind nose jammer is that it allegedly overloads the Deers olfactory receptors to where that's all they smell. In theory it sounds legit but in practice I don't know for sure. I have heard Ozonics legitimately works as well but I nor anyone I know uses one.

For me, the one thing I've learned as I enter my 12th season of bowhunting, is that you will never beat a deer's nose. They may smell you and not care, but that didn't mean you fooled their sniffer.

Stepping in cow poop, dousing yourself in fox urine or doe in heat urine, rubbing yourself up against a cedar or a pine tree.....really doesn't work in any capacity, they will always be able to pick your scent up amongst all the other scents.

But, it has made for a brisk business for decades for companies who have convinced hunters that they are able to have an edge by using scent cover or eliminator products.

One piece of advice I will offer young or novice hunters, is in most cases forget everything your dad, grandpa or uncle told you about deer hunting in regards to scent, movement and sound.....because it is probably wrong. When i was a kid I heard it all.....you have to stay completely motionless for hours on end, don't make any sounds, the cold weather will kick off the rut, etc.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691688 09/20/22 12:51 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Awhile back, I bought a package of Scent Killer Gold products and it came with a booklet about deer and their sense of smell. The booklet stated flat out that their product does NOT completely eliminate your scent. The goal is to reduce it to the point that gets it below the deer’s alarm threshold. That’s really all you can hope for.

However, Nose Jammer may be tailored to produce an odor that the deer are ultra sensitive to. I don’t know how they developed it, but modern science probably allows them to use an actual deer with some way to measure their brain activity response to various smells to find the one that pegs the meter so to speak.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691726 09/20/22 01:25 PM
L
LanceH Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
This discussion has led to advertising. Someone reading this discussion is going to become curious about Nose Jammer or just plain ol vanilla and go out and buy it and try it. I hear all the time that all of the hunting products in stores and on line are not for the deer, they are for the people that spend the money on them. And I'm sure this thread will lead to some sales.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691764 09/20/22 02:17 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Scent Killer does work, not for hunting as being touted.
Trapped a skunk in a live trap in the barn couple years back, my son shot it in the head so not to spray. While carrying the trap outside the skunk was oozing green/yellow stuff across the barn. Yes it smelled like a skunk real bad. Sprayed Scent Killer on the green stuff and within hours the smell was gone.
So there is some use for this stuff.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8692178 09/21/22 01:44 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I don't believe they work.

I find it interesting someone posting up how well a product has worked for them for many YEARS of using it. Then someone says they don't believe it works when they have never tried it. If it didn't work, I'd be the first to say it doesn't work. But guess what, it works and it works well for me. I use it EVERY time I'm in the bow stand, or in my close box blind.

Quite often people think something works when it doesn’t. Maybe it does, but someone claiming that it does is not enough for me to believe it.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: txtrophy85] #8692180 09/21/22 01:46 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
My go to cover scent is fresh cow poop or moist soil. If you slightly dampen fresh top soil it gives off a fairly strong dirt smell and I’m quite certain deer are accustomed to that smell. .

Thats what we were talking about earlier, there is no amount of cow poop or dirt you can put on your person to eliminate the scent. The science behind nose jammer is that it allegedly overloads the Deers olfactory receptors to where that's all they smell. In theory it sounds legit but in practice I don't know for sure. I have heard Ozonics legitimately works as well but I nor anyone I know uses one.

For me, the one thing I've learned as I enter my 12th season of bowhunting, is that you will never beat a deer's nose. They may smell you and not care, but that didn't mean you fooled their sniffer.

Stepping in cow poop, dousing yourself in fox urine or doe in heat urine, rubbing yourself up against a cedar or a pine tree.....really doesn't work in any capacity, they will always be able to pick your scent up amongst all the other scents.

But, it has made for a brisk business for decades for companies who have convinced hunters that they are able to have an edge by using scent cover or eliminator products.

One piece of advice I will offer young or novice hunters, is in most cases forget everything your dad, grandpa or uncle told you about deer hunting in regards to scent, movement and sound.....because it is probably wrong. When i was a kid I heard it all.....you have to stay completely motionless for hours on end, don't make any sounds, the cold weather will kick off the rut, etc.

That’s pretty stinking accurate.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8692357 09/21/22 01:32 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I've always considered scents to be much like fishing lures. It just depends on the mood of the bass or buck if they decide to hit on it or leave it alone.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/21/22 01:33 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8692440 09/21/22 03:15 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I use the earth scent wafers. They have worked for me.
I hang all three of them on me with the safety pin provided.
Ive used the vanilla and Ive felt that has worked to some degree.

But Im a strong believer in changing your entrance to your stand works better than anything. We are creatures of habit and tend to do the same thing over and over. We train the animals to what we do. Sounds from a distance makes a difference, our prehunt from the time we head to our stand and we get within 350 yrds of your stand and maybe further the animals already know your there. Most of us humans dont start thinking about those things until we get to about a 100 yrds sometimes even closer to the stand.

(Bow stand) I had a 5.5 year old buck Id been watching on camera. The buck had gone to my feeder 4 days in a row morning and evening within a 10 min time period stayed basically 15mins and then move out. So I snuck in to my feeder 1 hr before light parked my normal place of parking, thought Im going to get this guy today. He never showed up morning or evening. I did the same thing the next 3 hunts and no show. 1st thought dang someone got him. Did not hunt the stand and in he came, just like clock work the next 2 days in a row morning evening, ok he is back, I go through my same get ready rituals for the next morning day hunt, and he is a no show. I was getting ready for my evening hunt, what am I going to do. I entered this time from the back of the place walked 3 times as far as I normally do and entered the last 75yrds from the south instead of the west. Bingo winner winner chicken dinner.

I hunt a 388 acre place by myself unless someone goes with me. so there is no one else to spook the deer but me. Ive used some scents that I think work. What makes me think they work? If we have success it worked, if I didnt, that dont work. So look to the things that will give you succes.
1st dont over humanize your hunting area
2nd dont fall in a rut doing the same thing over and over again the buck you are looking for will pattern you.

This is my 2 "scents" worth. Have a great hunting season and good luck, get in the woods as often as you can. Remember your going in to his living room, dont move the couch and expect him to not notice.

Last edited by bigdavehunting; 09/21/22 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: bigdavehunting] #8692449 09/21/22 03:28 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by bigdavehunting
But Im a strong believer in changing your entrance to your stand works better than anything. We are creatures of habit and tend to do the same thing over and over. We train the animals to what we do. Sounds from a distance makes a difference, our prehunt from the time we head to our stand and we get within 350 yrs of your stand and maybe further the animals already know your there. Most of us humans dont start thinking about those things until we get to about a 100 yrds sometimes even closer to the stand.

Preach on brother. Many a big buck has learned to avoid the sounds of an ATV, or look for the light of a hunter in the predawn darkness. Just because deer will stand and look at you drive past on an ATV during the Spring or Summer, it doesn't mean they're going to pay you or the sounds you make no attention once all the shooting starts.

The sound of truck doors closing can also be a big buck tip off.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/21/22 03:37 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: Texas Dan] #8692480 09/21/22 04:08 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The sound of truck doors closing can also be a big buck tip off.
[/quote]

The sounds we make or hear are huge. I can watch the deer at my feeders, there is a road east of my feeder the deer will hear a vehicle coming down the road they will lift their head when the vehicle gets to a certain point and follow it with their head, when the vehicle gets to the next point it will put their head back down and begin to eat again.
The deer and animals have us figured out.
Just think for a min. of what we do every time we get up to go hunting what exact steps we take from the time we get out of bed until we settle in our stands. We have a list of steps that we do and the deer will figure it out when you get in their neighborhood.

Last edited by bigdavehunting; 09/21/22 04:16 PM.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: txtrophy85] #8692571 09/21/22 06:52 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
In theory it sounds legit but in practice I don't know for sure.

Again, I've given my field experience over several years of using the Nose Jammer product, along with multiple hunters on our lease. We all swear by it and it works very well for us, especially for my use. And again, you've never used it to know how well (or not) it works, but have an opinion on it. Interesting...

For me, the one thing I've learned as I enter my 12th season of bowhunting

Not to sound arrogant, but I've been bow hunting since 1997. It is my next passion and the only sport that gets me an adrenaline rush like no other. Bow season is for me and my time to personally hunt. I save rifle season for taking my kids and friends to go hunting. I've been on numerous successful archery elk hunts and have bow hunted deer all but one season. I have tried all the gimmicks, sprays, cover scents, and come up with what I found that works. And yet you've never used the product but have an opinion on the matter. I'm not trying to be a richard here, but I'm just stating the obvious.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8692595 09/21/22 07:33 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Here’s last year’s buck I shot. I was hoping for him and hunted him specifically. He came in behind me circling me. He circled and walked out past me at 10 yards. I was able to get a shot off at 32 yards on him and drilled him. I made sure I had used my Nose Jammer. And the bow I use, it’s an old Mathews FX, which was stopped being made in 2004, and has killed more animals than most of my rifles. That bow is older than some people have been bow hunting. Just saying.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8692604 09/21/22 07:54 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Here’s last year’s buck I shot. I was hoping for him and hunted him specifically. He came in behind me circling me. He circled and walked out past me at 10 yards. I was able to get a shot off at 32 yards on him and drilled him. I made sure I had used my Nose Jammer. And the bow I use, it’s an old Mathews FX, which was stopped being made in 2004, and has killed more animals than most of my rifles. That bow is older than some people have been bow hunting. Just saying.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Damn last time I saw that bow model was when Ken still had his bow shop over by lake Arlington.

I have no experience with NJ. I did hunt with some guys that had some very less them optimal results from a guiding perspective

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8692614 09/21/22 08:00 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I know, it's an oldie but goodie. I got it from a friend who passed away, so it has some sentimental value to me. Troy over at All Star Archery has been trying to get me to buy a new one for years. I know the newer one's are faster, but this one shoots so good it's hard for me to switch.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8692616 09/21/22 08:01 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I know, it's an oldie but goodie. I got it from a friend who passed away, so it has some sentimental value to me. Troy over at All Star Archery has been trying to get me to buy a new one for years. I know the newer one's are faster, but this one shoots so good it's hard for me to switch.

Looks like a killler to me

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8692642 09/21/22 08:34 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I shower before every hunt and use a Scent Crusher bag/closet for my clothes/gear and an Ozonics while in the blind along with a fresh cow pie if I see one in the way in. I’ll leave the sprays to you guys, I may be missing out on a good product but after trying the last 97 latest and greatest wonder sprays I’ll opt out. I feel like all that stuffs nothing more than a sales gimmick but then again maybe I’m drinking the cool aid with my ozone set ups as well rofl If it gives you confidence in your hunt then I say it’s worth it whether it works or not, I’ve killed more big deer than I deserve so I’ll stick to my cool aid drinking method cheers

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8692689 09/21/22 09:53 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow! Great buck! Congrats big time. Nickname that bow Methuselah.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide