Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kidney stones are no fun #8686578 09/12/22 10:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Had an 11mm stone just above my bladder busted with a laser the day after Labor Day. Got the stint pulled out this morning. Anyone who knows how these two procedures are performed would avoid getting a kidney stone at practically any cost. Just seeing the tool used to remove the stint through your pecker is enough to scare the hell out of you. And they only use a numbing cream for that procedure.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/12/22 10:22 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686579 09/12/22 10:21 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
My procedure was a piece of cake compared to the stone itself. Blasted to bits, no stent.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Jimbo1] #8686585 09/12/22 10:24 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
My procedure was a piece of cake compared to the stone itself. Blasted to bits, no stent.

Is that because they used the sound wave approach (Lithotripsy). It was the size and location of my stone that warranted more manual removal. Otherwise, I might have required two attempts had the first one failed.

Lithotripsy seems much easier in terms of pain and recovery.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/12/22 10:27 PM.

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686591 09/12/22 10:41 PM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Misery indeed! Have had 3, 2 surgeries and hundreds of pain killers along the way.

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686610 09/12/22 11:04 PM
D
David7912 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Been there done that no fun !!!

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686620 09/12/22 11:15 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Yep, Lithotripsy around 18 years ago. No problems since.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686629 09/12/22 11:28 PM
C
cm250 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Had an 11mm stone just above my bladder busted with a laser the day after Labor Day. Got the stint pulled out this morning. Anyone who knows how these two procedures are performed would avoid getting a kidney stone at practically any cost. Just seeing the tool used to remove the stint through your pecker is enough to scare the hell out of you. And they only use a numbing cream for that procedure.

Prayers up for ya brother!!! Have had Gaul stones, but no kidney stones (as of yet) , know they are painful! Best of luck and hoping for a quick recovery!!!!

My Yote toys,
Ruger 77 22-250
Foxpro 416B & numerous hand calls
God would never send Firefighters to Hell because we would put the fire out!
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686641 09/12/22 11:37 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
KS 3 times in the later 80's. Before lasers and ultrasound, your choice was pass or surgery. I passed all 3 times, but worse than labor. Once I set an ER record for Demerol in an adult male!!! I still cringe and shiver when I hear the words.

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686659 09/13/22 12:01 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
I've had two and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. The first took two weeks to pass and the second was removed after the fifth day. Doc left the stent in following the surgery but also left me the ability to pull it out myself. eeks333

He told me that he would remove the stent at seven days, but I could do it myself at day five. Just let me say that the male urethra is the most sensitive tissue on the planet.

So on day five, I got myself heavily medicated and yanked that sucker out. It was actually anticlimactic and slid right out very easily.

Hope you feel better, sir.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686665 09/13/22 12:04 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would rather be shot than have another stone.

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: kry226] #8686673 09/13/22 12:13 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by kry226
Just let me say that the male urethra is the most sensitive tissue on the planet.

I have no doubts believing that. The worst pain through all of it was when the nurse injected the numbing cream into the end of my pecker. It definitely lowered the pain during the stint removal but it was anything other than pain free. I had a hard time sleeping over the weekend in fear something would go wrong and he wouldn't be able to remove the stint. I bet it took no more than 5 seconds to get and out with the stint hanging from the end of the probe. He even showed it to me, which I did find comforting knowing such a thing was out.

Doing much better knowing all the steps are done. I go back in three months so he can use and ultrasound to see if the size of the stone created scaring on my kidney.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/13/22 12:19 AM.

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686679 09/13/22 12:18 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
I kept my stent for a while... kinda like a war trophy!

[Linked Image]
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Roll-Tide] #8686784 09/13/22 02:03 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide

Roll Tide, I had kidney stones for many years but for the last 10-12 years "ZERO" stones. I have had 2 Urologists tell me how to eliminate kidney stones and it has worked for me. CITRIC ACID I drink a diet green tea nearly every day, lemonade works great and probably several other drinks, and squeeze a slice of lemon in your glass of water regularly.

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: DLALLDER] #8686823 09/13/22 02:43 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

Roll Tide, I had kidney stones for many years but for the last 10-12 years "ZERO" stones. I have had 2 Urologists tell me how to eliminate kidney stones and it has worked for me. CITRIC ACID I drink a diet green tea nearly every day, lemonade works great and probably several other drinks, and squeeze a slice of lemon in your glass of water regularly.

Makes sense. Did they tell you what causes them in the first place?

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686827 09/13/22 02:50 AM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
After my last one, I had to have a cystosophy to inspect for scarring and damage. The doc said we could do it with a local right there in the office, or I could have it at the hospital under general anesthesia. I told him to book the hospital, 'cause he wasn't tough enough to get it done with a local!!! I spent 6 years in the Navy in submarines, and the last thing I wanted to here was some [censored] saying "up scope!!"

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8686931 09/13/22 12:13 PM
B
Ben Kabisch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Wouldn't wish kidney stones on ANYONE, i honestly thought i was dying. Went to ER and they said i had kidney stones without taking xray, sent me home with a strainer and some pain meds and said I'd pass it/them...one week later i wasn't feeling any better so i went to urologist and he scheduled surgery to remove it because it was too big to pass.(that was a BAD week because it was during football season when i was coaching) Having the stent removed by the 12lb test fishing line was the 2nd worst pain. Hope to never have that again

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Sneaky] #8686958 09/13/22 12:51 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Yes, OCALATES (spelling ?) dark liquids such as black tea, sodas, coffee are the major culprit.

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8687058 09/13/22 03:09 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I had a kidney stone that was formed after a blow to the kidney at 14. The Doctor said it happens occasionally and that I should be fine. I'm 67 and haven't had a problem since.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8687060 09/13/22 03:13 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F

So 11mm is quite a large stone. It is obvious your ureter has been narrowed for some time for a stone to get that big. I am guessing you didn't have a string attached to your leg after your procedure based on this statement. Most that get a stent, have a string that comes out of their urethra and taped to the side of their leg. Usually only has to remain for a week and I would say 50% of the time, it falls out on its own or the patient inadvertently pulls it out in the shower or something. Most people that live far away from our hospital elect to pull the stent themselves so they don't have to drive back to pull the string. If you had a stent placed without a string, then usually they leave it in for 4-12 weeks (depending on what doc saw doing your laser lithro procedure) and will have to go in and remove it themselves.

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: flashman252] #8687229 09/13/22 07:35 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by flashman252

So 11mm is quite a large stone. It is obvious your ureter has been narrowed for some time for a stone to get that big. I am guessing you didn't have a string attached to your leg after your procedure based on this statement. Most that get a stent, have a string that comes out of their urethra and taped to the side of their leg. Usually only has to remain for a week and I would say 50% of the time, it falls out on its own or the patient inadvertently pulls it out in the shower or something. Most people that live far away from our hospital elect to pull the stent themselves so they don't have to drive back to pull the string. If you had a stent placed without a string, then usually they leave it in for 4-12 weeks (depending on what doc saw doing your laser lithro procedure) and will have to go in and remove it themselves.

No string but it did appear to have a cord of sorts attached to it when my doctor showed it to me briefly. I bet it took him no more than five seconds to go in, grab it, and pull it out.

Yes, I'll be avoiding tea and Coke from this point forward and having a glass of lemonade far more often. Even more water as well, especially when working outside in the heat.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/13/22 07:37 PM.

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8687242 09/13/22 08:01 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General

No string but it did appear to have a cord of sorts attached to it when my doctor showed it to me briefly. I bet it took him no more than five seconds to go in, grab it, and pull it out.

Yes, I'll be avoiding tea and Coke from this point forward and having a glass of lemonade far more often. Even more water as well, especially when working outside in the heat.

Mine had a "pull here" tag, but it was taped to my third leg... bolt

[Linked Image]
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8687259 09/13/22 08:21 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
You should've ask the doctor if size matters. Kidding aside, I have passed 4 stones in the last 10 years and they are horrible. I am suspicious that over indulgence in beer contributed to mine but not sure. Wish you the best in pain free quick healing.

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: kry226] #8687261 09/13/22 08:22 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by kry226

Mine had a "pull here" tag, but it was taped to my third leg... bolt

wtf

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: DLALLDER] #8687277 09/13/22 08:37 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Yes, OCALATES (spelling ?) dark liquids such as black tea, sodas, coffee are the major culprit.

I’d always heard that, but I didn’t know how true it was.

Re: Kidney stones are no fun [Re: Texas Dan] #8687291 09/13/22 08:54 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
For those who wish to know what fun they're missing.

And keep in mind the patient is fully awake during the procedure with only a numbing cream used to limit the discomfort. In other words, it hurts like hell.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/13/22 08:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide