Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8671838 08/23/22 02:40 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
If you have kids that hunt it would probably be a good investment for them. I thought I would buy one before I retire but at $1800 and my license now only costs $32 I would have to live and/or hunt another 56 years. I think I will pass.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8671939 08/23/22 04:58 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I bought mine as a birthday present in 1991 just before they went up to $1000.00. Back then you still had to pay for any of the stamps you needed. Then in the late '90s (?) TPWD changed policies and all Lifetime Licenses were issued/renewed with all the State issued stamps. That drastically reduced my ROI time line.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: ntxtrapper] #8671952 08/23/22 05:11 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by Wytex
I learned this year that in Colorado if you have a Texas lifetime license and move there you can not buy residents licenses for Colorado. Same for any state that has lifetime licenses for residents if you move to Colorado. CPW confirmed this . They say it is still a way to claim residency in another state.

How would they know if you have a Texas lifetime license? Lifetime license has nothing to do with current residency, at least not in the states I have them.

I am also interested in on how they would know what other states you have a lifetime license in.

TP&W has an internal record of it but that’s it. The information isn’t in the NCIC.

I'm betting a simple request via whatever that public information act is will get anyone your license info. It is a state issued license and folks have been requesting well knowns hunting draw licenses for years from various states.
If caught hunting in a state like Colorado on a non valid license they could take everything you have with you while hunting, worth it ? An over zealous GW could find the info in a short time.

Just pointing out another thing about hunting in Colorado I don't care for. Other states also have similar laws.
I might counter if you never printed out your yearly license then how would they say you still claim the residency for hunting? Good question for a CO lawyer.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8671998 08/23/22 06:19 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Maybe the misunderstanding is on the "residency". Like mentioned, a Texas lifetime license has nothing to do with residency. It is simply a license to hunt in the state, doesn't matter if you live there or not.

I would bet money a GW has no way to see what other states you have hunting licenses in.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: Wytex] #8672008 08/23/22 06:41 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I learned this year that in Colorado if you have a Texas lifetime license and move there you can not buy residents licenses for Colorado. Same for any state that has lifetime licenses for residents if you move to Colorado. CPW confirmed this . They say it is still a way to claim residency in another state.

Find this in their written codified laws and post it up. I’m doubtful until then.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: ntxtrapper] #8672017 08/23/22 06:59 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W

Find this in their written codified laws and post it up. I’m doubtful until then.

So, I'm just trying to save someone some grief but since you do not believe here is the link and correspondence from CPW.

Read "How do I know if I'm not a resident"

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/residency.aspx

Here is my correspondence from CPW also:
[Linked Image]

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8672026 08/23/22 07:07 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
"I applied for, purchased, or accepted a resident hunting, fishing, or trapping license from another state or foreign country.​​​​"

Guess anyone who has ever bought a license as a resident in another state can't ever purchase a resident license in Colorado, being a resident in Colorado.

Last edited by Herbie Hancock; 08/23/22 07:12 PM.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8672028 08/23/22 07:09 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8672031 08/23/22 07:12 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
"I applied for, purchased, or accepted a resident hunting, fishing, or trapping license from another state or foreign country.​​​​"

Guess anyone who has ever bought a license in another state can't ever purchase a resident license in Colorado.

While claiming residency in Colorado is the picky part. Once you move there and meet the other requirements you would be a legal resident if you gave up your lifetime license in Texas.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: Wytex] #8672038 08/23/22 07:23 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Guess anyone who has ever bought a license in another state can't ever purchase a resident license in Colorado.

While claiming residency in Colorado is the picky part. Once you move there and meet the other requirements you would be a legal resident if you gave up your lifetime license in Texas.

I am not reading it as seeing lifetime license at all. I read the link that you provided, I just see it as if you have ever once purchased a hunting license as a resident of another state you won't be eligible to purchase one as a resident in Colorado.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8672039 08/23/22 07:26 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Doc folks have and continue to file freedom of information requests for licenses in Wyoming and other Western states for licenses that are drawn by hunting folks on You Tube and other hunting shows.
Some state protect this info and some release it as a matter of public record on a state issued license.
Not sure where Texas stands on law but I know in Wyoming you have to opt out of having info released.

Ask some guys how it is they get tons of emails or mailers about guided hunts when they draw a license ?
Wyoming used to put out a master list of every license allocated by name. Outfitters would buy a copy and solicit hunters from it.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8672048 08/23/22 07:32 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W

I am not reading it as seeing lifetime license at all. I read the link that you provided, I just see it as if you have ever once purchased a hunting license as a resident of another state you won't be eligible to purchase one as a resident in Colorado.

I read it as while claiming residency in Colorado you can not accept or buy another resident license in another state. Good question for CPW isn't it ?

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8672050 08/23/22 07:34 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
This is not a knock on buying your kids a Texas lifetime license, I would do it .
Just something I learned this year and found very interesting.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: DocHorton] #8673076 08/25/22 02:34 AM
C
COFF 2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
...That being said, buying it as a gift for your son is probably the only way I'd consider paying that price. The biggest issue with buying at that age is no way to know where they may live down the road when they get out on their own.

I'd say that is the biggest reason FOR buying the Texas lifetime license. If they move elsewhere, they can always come back and hunt with you and not have to mess with non-residence nonsense.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8673095 08/25/22 02:54 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Le
Originally Posted by TLew
How many folks have bought them for their kids (or had one bought for them by their dad/parents)? My 4 year old is just enamored with hunting, going to the lease, working, etc.. I'm really contemplating getting him a lifetime super combo. Could he drop the love of it? Absolutely. That said, these things only get more expensive and he's been bit since he went out the first time as a 2 year old.

Let him buy his own license. Take that money and take him to Vegas when he’s 16. Buy him a girlfriend. Hopefully he’ll never get tired of that.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8674126 08/26/22 07:38 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
My wife and I were each given one by her father several years ago. Wish I would have gotten one when I was a lot younger. Will be getting my kids one if they seem to take (oldest is 3 now).

Last edited by ETexas Hunter; 08/26/22 07:43 PM.
Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: COFF 2] #8678225 08/31/22 09:23 PM
J
J. Richard Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by COFF (TFF)
...That being said, buying it as a gift for your son is probably the only way I'd consider paying that price. The biggest issue with buying at that age is no way to know where they may live down the road when they get out on their own.

I'd say that is the biggest reason FOR buying the Texas lifetime license. If they move elsewhere, they can always come back and hunt with you and not have to mess with non-residence nonsense.

Spot on COFF! In 1991 my job was transferred to Oklahoma. I bought a Lifetime Texas Hunting license before I moved. At the time a non-resident Texas hunting license cost ~$200-$250/annually. I lived out of state for fourteen years and came back to hunt in Texas every year while I lived in OK. Moved back to Texas in 2005, so I basically hunt for free every year. Not a bad long-term investment in my opinion.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8681948 09/06/22 12:25 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
That's what I did. I'm moving out of the Devil's oven in a couple of years to someplace cooler, but plan to keep coming back to hunt. At $300/year for out of state license, a lifetime license pays for itself pretty fast.

At $70/year for a super combo in state, and add in time value of money, they don't make much sense financially. But like mentioned above are a really cool gift.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: Wytex] #8682037 09/06/22 02:39 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

So, I'm just trying to save someone some grief but since you do not believe here is the link and correspondence from CPW.

Read "How do I know if I'm not a resident"

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/residency.aspx

Here is my correspondence from CPW also:
[Linked Image]

I really hate Colorado. It is sad because it is such a beautiful place but their laws are bonkers. I can sort of understand the law as they are hunting destination state and they want to limit who can buy a resident license by saying hey you can’t have a resident license here if you currently have a resident license in another state. I think extending this to lifetime license holders from other states is an unintended consequence of the law and how it was written.

If you think their hunting laws are bad look into their oil and gas laws. They are doing literally everything they can to kill the industry in their state. I was born in Colorado and have a lot of relatives still there but there is no way I could live there.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: ntxtrapper] #8682082 09/06/22 03:28 PM
R
reeder05 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
My dad got me mine just before he passed away many years ago. He said I’ll remember him every time I get my license and I do.

My dad did the same... He's still with us, but just hanging on.

Definitely think of him every time I go get them printed off.

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Wife has always wanted some Hard 8
Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8685662 09/11/22 05:04 PM
Q
Qchunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Q
The lifetime hunting license will save you money if you plan to buy a license every year. I bought an Az lifetime license before moving to Tx. I plan to apply every year in Az and need to have a valid license to apply. Still a few months before I can buy an annual resident hunting license.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8691053 09/19/22 04:34 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
My mom bought me an Oklahoma lifetime hunting and fishing when I graduated from law school (33 years ago), at my request. Been a great blessing.

I decided that, unfortunately, neither one of my (now grown) kids would get the benefits back from a Texas lifetime license (they don't do enough hunting and fishing to warrant it)

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: TLew] #8692468 09/21/22 03:55 PM
J
Jstocks Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Have one for both Ms and Al.
Only regret is not buying a Texas one when I lived there.

Re: Lifetime Licenses [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8692475 09/21/22 04:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
My mom bought me an Oklahoma lifetime hunting and fishing when I graduated from law school (33 years ago), at my request. Been a great blessing.

I decided that, unfortunately, neither one of my (now grown) kids would get the benefits back from a Texas lifetime license (they don't do enough hunting and fishing to warrant it)

My single greatest hunting regret was not buying one as a resident or NR. I bet I spend 700plus a year in licenses each year there

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide