Print Thread
THF auto insurance help #8654088 08/01/22 10:33 PM
D
decook Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Guys, I need some help. I don't know how the auto insurance industry works and what I need to do for an accident my truck was in.

My son was heading home from work on Jul 8. Lady pulls out from a gas station and rams the front quarter panel of my F150. Truck is not drivable and is towed away. MCDPS there very quickly, does an investigation, and tickets the other driver of "2011 INFINITI FAILED TO YIELD RIGHT OF WAY - PRIVATE DRIVE".

After a couple of emails back and forth, I am told my truck will be towed to a location where it will be inspected by a claim's adjuster.

My truck is deemed a total loss, email sent to me on Jul 14. I am given instructions on settlement, including how to sign my title and limited power of attorney over to Travelers. I am also given a phone call, and I told the adjuster that Texas is an "at fault" state and I wanted the claim to go against the other driver's insurance company, not ours. That is the last I have heard from them until today.

Saturday, I get a letter of demand from the other insured telling me that I have to move my truck and that they are not going to pay any storage. I don't even know where my truck is. Today I shook the tree with some emails and voicemails asking for next steps. All I have heard back is an email asking me what the claim number is (I should have supplied that) in my first email. Now, I get a call from Copart, telling me that the vehicle is released to me and I need to go pick it up. If I don't then they will start abandonment proceedings. OK, now at least I have an address to where it is.

So, what's next? How does this work? Is Travelers supposed to be on my side in all this? Should they be handling all this, or am I on my own here? Should I have accepted Travelers adjustment instead of insisting that the other insurance company pay up? At least I was able to leave fruitless voicemails.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: decook] #8654092 08/01/22 10:38 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I’m no help because I don’t have a clue how it works, but sounds like after this you should probably be looking for a new insurance company. I use Farmers and my agent is on top of stuff. I’ve only had a few claims none for a total loss, but they were dealt with promptly.

[Linked Image]

Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: decook] #8654096 08/01/22 10:42 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
My opinion will differ than others...mine is there is zero benefit to getting your insurance involved (many here will tell you that is what you pay them for, at minimum you'll get a rate increase). You need to be doing the leg work to deal with the car that hit your son insurance company...getting that claim going. If things don't go the way you expect them to and you're at the end of your rope...hire an attorney.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: Judd] #8654105 08/01/22 10:51 PM
D
decook Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Judd
My opinion will differ than others...mine is there is zero benefit to getting your insurance involved (many here will tell you that is what you pay them for, at minimum you'll get a rate increase). You need to be doing the leg work to deal with the car that hit your son insurance company...getting that claim going. If things don't go the way you expect them to and you're at the end of your rope...hire an attorney.

I'm wondering if I made a huge mistake in calling my insurance. At the time, it seemed like the right thing to do. Isn't there a manual out there or something that covers this?

Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: decook] #8654106 08/01/22 10:51 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Varmintslayer might be able to answer your questions.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: decook] #8654109 08/01/22 10:53 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Turn it over to your Insurance Company. Let them handle it. It's their job. Had the same happen 2 years ago with Wife's Lincoln. Idiot with boat trailer sideswiped Her SUV. State Farm (my insurer) took care of it all. Other driver ticketed after wreck.He had some unknown company out of San Antone.

Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: decook] #8654119 08/01/22 11:03 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
My wife totaled her car in an intersection a few months ago. Travelers handled the whole thing and based upon the police report, did not tag her with it. No change in our rates.
1) The Fort Worth PD called a flatbed tow truck that hauled the car to their yard.
2) Travelers sent an adjuster out to the wrecker's yard.
3) Travelers sent their appraisal amount to us along with a release for us to transfer title to them.
4) Travelers sent us a check for $10K over what she paid for it new, only 14 months before.
5) WE sent a form to the state indicating that vehicle was no longer ours.

Then she bought a new car.

Total cost to us was the $250. deductible. They were great and the process was seamless.

Marc

Last edited by Marc K; 08/01/22 11:04 PM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: glens] #8654122 08/01/22 11:09 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by glens
Turn it over to your Insurance Company. Let them handle it. It's their job. Had the same happen 2 years ago with Wife's Lincoln. Idiot with boat trailer sideswiped Her SUV. State Farm (my insurer) took care of it all. Other driver ticketed after wreck.He had some unknown company out of San Antone.

I am an insurance agent - do this

You can't fix stupid
Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: tlk] #8654141 08/01/22 11:22 PM
N
NORML as can be Offline
^^Cut the Cord^^
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by glens

I am an insurance agent - do this

There you go, good luck to you let us know how it turns out.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: decook] #8654150 08/01/22 11:32 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Whatever you do don’t take the first offer they give you. Do your homework and KNOW the replacement value of you vehicle. I got a lot more than what the first offer was when mine was totaled last November.

Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: decook] #8654160 08/01/22 11:43 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I recommend bringing your insurance company in on it. Is your son feeling any neck pains? wink

Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: decook] #8654187 08/02/22 12:24 AM
TKM Offline
Tracker
Tracker
First week of December last year was in traffic stopped on I-35, truck coming up on us couldn't stop and took out five vehicles. Mine was a 2017 Ram 2500 4d 4wd with right at 52000 miles on it
and was totaled. Called Farmers on the spot, they handled everything. They worked with me on valuation of my truck, was based on 4 available at the time. Got within $300 of what i paid for it new.
Farmers wrote me the check, then got their money from Liberty. I dealt with Liberty myself on personal body injury and just settled with them 3 weeks ago. My insurance has not gone up and don't
see a positive in not getting your insurance company involved, this is part of what you pay them for.

Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: decook] #8654229 08/02/22 01:12 AM
D
decook Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Persistence is the key. We finally got through to Travelers. A man named Ed helped us and told us basically what glens and tlk said - let them handle it. The other insurance company should have NEVER sent me a demand letter, and the company that has my truck should have never called me.

If anyone wants to look, here's a link to the online database for the accident
https://app.myaccident.org/accident/00002819002499

Thanks ya-all. This helped us a lot.

Ps. Paluxy, I asked him if he was hurt. Other than a very minor skinned shin, he said no. And he meant it - he wasn't interested in any hospital ride.

Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: decook] #8654248 08/02/22 01:28 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Absolutely get your insurance company involved. The other company is wanting to move fast and get you settled for as little money as possible, then you are SOL.

Re: THF auto insurance help [Re: spacejunkie] #8654268 08/02/22 01:49 AM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Whatever you do don’t take the first offer they give you. Do your homework and KNOW the replacement value of you vehicle. I got a lot more than what the first offer was when mine was totaled last November.

+1, and if you have any mods figure those in. Fortunately I have only had one vehicle totalled. I had 2 light bars with 7 KC Daylighters on it and the truck had a new engine. I turned down 3 offers to settle. Other person at fault and their insurance was paying for my rental which they wanted me out of. I told them I was keeping the rental until I found a replacement and by the way I am feeling a little tightness in my neck.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide