_=====___=________==-

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: deerfeeder] #8626832 06/23/22 08:59 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
It’s best to know your rights and not depend on law enforcement to explain them to you.

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: Sneaky] #8626853 06/23/22 09:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Sneaky
It’s best to know your rights and not depend on law enforcement to explain them to you.

Also stupid to try to sue the guy for not reminding you to STFU

I never understood the law to begin with.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: deerfeeder] #8626865 06/23/22 10:17 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Nice

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8627048 06/24/22 02:38 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Also stupid to try to sue the guy for not reminding you to STFU

I never understood the law to begin with.

I may be short-sighted, but I never understood it, either.

You haven’t been read your rights, anyway. You’ve been mildly informed of a few of your rights.

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: deerfeeder] #8627059 06/24/22 02:52 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Unless I'm missing something, that article is a hack job. Miranda is only required if a person is in custody (under arrest) and is being questioned. It is not required just because someone is being questioned about a crime.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: Grizz] #8627064 06/24/22 02:55 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Grizz
Unless I'm missing something, that article is a hack job. Miranda is only required if a person is in custody (under arrest) and is being questioned. It is not required just because someone is being questioned about a crime.

You would know better than I would, but I thought the same thing.

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: Grizz] #8627088 06/24/22 03:15 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

The article is garbage, but when Miranda is required is a bit more nuanced. The person does not need to be formally under arrest. If they reasonably believe they are not free to leave, Miranda applies.

Regardless, this decision will have almost no real world impact. Statements made without Miranda are still not admissible in a criminal proceeding, which is really the relevant part.

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: SherpaPhil] #8627091 06/24/22 03:26 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

The article is garbage, but when Miranda is required is a bit more nuanced. The person does not need to be formally under arrest. If they reasonably believe they are not free to leave, Miranda applies.

Regardless, this decision will have almost no real world impact. Statements made without Miranda are still not admissible in a criminal proceeding, which is really the relevant part.

Statements without Miranda are admitted every day in criminal proceedings. If it's not a custodial interrogation, Miranda is not required. The defendant can argue that they thought they were in custody if they want, but they don't always win that in suppression.

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: Grizz] #8627093 06/24/22 03:35 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

Statements without Miranda are admitted every day in criminal proceedings. If it's not a custodial interrogation, Miranda is not required. The defendant can argue that they thought they were in custody if they want, but they don't always win that in suppression.

Can't argue with that. Just trying to make the point that "custodial" isn't always clear cut when the officer doesn't whip out the cuffs and say, "you're under arrest."

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: SherpaPhil] #8627094 06/24/22 03:39 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Can't argue with that. Just trying to make the point that "custodial" isn't always clear cut when the officer doesn't whip out the cuffs and say, "you're under arrest."

It's usually very clear on the side of the road or in the interview room. It's when lawyers get ahold of it when it becomes muddy. laugh

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: SherpaPhil] #8627095 06/24/22 03:40 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I've seen me send a lot of criminals to prison, based largely on a voluntary statement that I acquired, without Miranda being provided. As long as they left without being arrested or weren't brought to my office without being asked to voluntarily go there, there was never an issue. Every one was successfully entered into evidence in either State District Court or Federal Court.

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: deerfeeder] #8627104 06/24/22 04:00 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
You gentlemen are both absolutely right, and it sounds like you had few issues because you understand the law. There are also defense attorneys with long lists of statements they got thrown out because less well educated officers crossed the line, or didn't know where it was.

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: Sneaky] #8627215 06/24/22 12:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Read part of the brief last night.

From what I could comprehend

Guy gives up info that is used in court against him
Judge still finds him innocent
He sues the cop for not reading him his Miranda rights

Basically what I took from brief was Miranda still stands in same capacity, it reaffirms voluntary info doesn’t require Miranda, and you cant sue LEO for not restating your Miranda rights

Disclaimer I’m not a lawyer but that’s way I read it it

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 06/24/22 01:42 PM. Reason: Can’t sue not can

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: deerfeeder] #8627223 06/24/22 12:56 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
The guy was found not guilty. Take the win and go fishing. He was looking for payback.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: deerfeeder] #8627232 06/24/22 01:06 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Here was the assertion by the defendant. He claimed he was coerced.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/cert/21-499

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: deerfeeder] #8641294 07/15/22 09:49 AM
K
kevinkk Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
He should've let the thing go when he was found not guilty. It's better to get out of the courts as soon as possible because going for the cop for the Miranda thing is not a great idea. I think most people in the USA know "Miranda" and are aware of their rights. Even if he was right, it's a stupid thing to do.
I love my lawyer because he always looks for the easiest way to solve the problem. I don't like spending too much time in court because there are more things to do. I'm glad I found the https://bsmlaw.com.au/wollongong-lawyers/ law firm because they're the best fit for me.

Last edited by kevinkk; 07/15/22 10:09 AM.
Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: kevinkk] #8641321 07/15/22 11:40 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by kevinkk
He should've let the thing go when he was found not guilty. It's better to get out of the courts as soon as possible because going for the cop for the Miranda thing is not a great idea. I think most people in the USA know "Miranda" and are aware of their rights. Even if he was right, it's a stupid thing to do.
I love my lawyer because he always looks for the easiest way to solve the problem. I don't like spending too much time in court because there are more things to do. I'm glad I found the https://bsmlaw.com.au/wollongong-lawyers/ law firm because they're the best fit for me.

roflmao

WTF are you doing to need a lawyer all the time?

🍻
Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #8641435 07/15/22 02:08 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Thundervee

75% of this dude's posts so far are sales pitches for out-of-town businesses...

* Lawyer - Australia - https://[THF]/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8641294/re-shut-up-and-get-a-lawyer#Post8641294 (looking at their site they don't even practice in the US, but they wave the Pride flag)
* Moving company - New Jersey - https://[THF]/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8621612/re-moving-two-gun-safes#Post8621612 (last time I moved I hired professional movers who almost killed themselves moving my safe, the biz he linked is not a safe moving company)
* Critter gitter - Tulsa - https://[THF]/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8239363/re-racoon-bait#Post8239363 (bumped a 2.5 year old thread, oh well)

Not a single link he has provided has been in Texas.

* URLs are intentionally broken to not link to the BS.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: Mickey Moose] #8641500 07/15/22 03:59 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
LOL, either bot or foreigner.

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
Originally Posted by Thundervee

75% of this dude's posts so far are sales pitches for out-of-town businesses...

* Lawyer - Australia - https://[THF]/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8641294/re-shut-up-and-get-a-lawyer#Post8641294 (looking at their site they don't even practice in the US, but they wave the Pride flag)
* Moving company - New Jersey - https://[THF]/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8621612/re-moving-two-gun-safes#Post8621612 (last time I moved I hired professional movers who almost killed themselves moving my safe, the biz he linked is not a safe moving company)
* Critter gitter - Tulsa - https://[THF]/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8239363/re-racoon-bait#Post8239363 (bumped a 2.5 year old thread, oh well)

Not a single link he has provided has been in Texas.

* URLs are intentionally broken to not link to the BS.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: SherpaPhil] #8642359 07/16/22 11:36 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Not all statements...

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: deerfeeder] #8642380 07/17/22 12:17 AM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If you don't know your rights, by now.....
Your too stupid to exercise'em anyway....
If you do, for some reason get arrested...
Never, ever, ever, ever talk to a cop.
Not even general conversation.. NOT ONE WORD !!!!!
STFU.... is the most important thing you can do...

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: Sailor] #8642409 07/17/22 01:11 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Sailor

Worst advice ever. I put a bunch of people in jail and filed cases on them, because they refused to speak with me and wouldn't provide me with a reasonable explanation for what took place. If they had just talked with me, they would have saved themselves several thousand dollars and everything that goes along with being arrested.

Re: Shut up and get a lawyer! [Re: ntxtrapper] #8642427 07/17/22 01:35 AM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by Sailor

Worst advice ever. I put a bunch of people in jail and filed cases on them, because they refused to speak with me and wouldn't provide me with a reasonable explanation for what took place. If they had just talked with me, they would have saved themselves several thousand dollars and everything that goes along with being arrested.

Bull... You can file a case, on a ham sandwich.
Bogus arrest.. You cannot legally arrest somebody, for exercising their 5th amendment rights..
And my advice, came straight from the judge. When I took my courses on criminal
justice in college...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide