Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8651825 07/29/22 07:44 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
One of the reasons to look up once in a while!!! 5.5 foot bull snake, in one of our BLM campgrounds.

[Linked Image]

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: flintknapper] #8651837 07/29/22 08:00 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by kmon11
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Snake haters are typically uneducated on them.

You know guys like you piss me off. I do not "hate" snakes. If I see one in the wild (which I have many many times) I let them go.

On the other hand if they are at my door step, on my back deck, in my barn, etc. where my wife and my family walk around (not to mention my dog) then I am taking them out - pretty brazen of you to tell people they are "uneducated" -

If it were not for the chickens and eggs one of those snakes would have been sage in our back yard. We like eggs not feeding snakes our food and scaring our chickens. The copperheads do not get a pass close to the house though might get one from me in the woods. The king snakes we have are welcome as are the garden and black racers. The one snake may very well be one that hung around the back before we got the chickens a short time a couple years ago, no harm no foul. Having 2 small dogs, enjoying our back yard at night and small kids next door well the poisonous ones do not get a pass.

Quite reasonable. Same rule at my house. Venomous snakes around the house or close outbuildings are not tolerated. ALL non-venomous snakes get a pass regardless where they are found.

If the copperhead is in the yard he dies, they scare my wife and bite my dog. If a rat snake is in the yard and my wife has not seen it I shoo it to the woods to eat rats. If one gets in the chicken coop and/or eats eggs or scares my wife I kill it.

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8651841 07/29/22 08:04 PM
sleepyhunter Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Snakes poisonious or not have no interest in Humans unless provoked, or surprised. If given the chance to escape they will. They simply operate on instinct and are interested in only basic functions to survive, find food and mate. I've caught Copperheads in my yard mainly in the hedges and relocate them to the nearby creek, same with the non venomous. I've dealt with Rattlesnakes in South and West Tx and killed several until I discovered they would retreat out of site quickly if you have a long enough stick to prod them with and allow them to escape. The dead snake pictured earlier in this thread looks like a Checkered King and is harmless it would have quickly moved away if given the chance. I suppose growing older has mellowed me out towards widlife, I would rather watch and see how they operate rather than inflicting harm. I do have my limits, fire ants, fleas, scorpions, mosquitos, hornets or any kind of flying insect that bites or stings will get taken out if possible.

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: sleepyhunter] #8651899 07/29/22 09:08 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by sleepyhunter
Snakes poisonious or not have no interest in Humans unless provoked, or surprised. If given the chance to escape they will. They simply operate on instinct and are interested in only basic functions to survive, find food and mate. I've caught Copperheads in my yard mainly in the hedges and relocate them to the nearby creek, same with the non venomous. I've dealt with Rattlesnakes in South and West Tx and killed several until I discovered they would retreat out of site quickly if you have a long enough stick to prod them with and allow them to escape. The dead snake pictured earlier in this thread looks like a Checkered King and is harmless it would have quickly moved away if given the chance. I suppose growing older has mellowed me out towards widlife, I would rather watch and see how they operate rather than inflicting harm. I do have my limits, fire ants, fleas, scorpions, mosquitos, hornets or any kind of flying insect that bites or stings will get taken out if possible.

Relocating them from around one's home is fine until you open your garage or back door and step on one. Or you dog finds one in your front yard, gets bit, and dies.

In the wild? Let them go

You can't fix stupid
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8651996 07/29/22 11:10 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Haven't seen anything down here in Pine Tree country except pit vipers, coachwhips and a couple "Red on Yellow" coral snakes. The Copperheads run about 4+ feet and are thick as my forearm are common even in the mowed grass in my back yard....'cause the neighbor to my east refuse's to clear the last couple acres of her 5+? acre yard & leaves it in a natural state with 100'+ pine tree's & 40'+ tall bamboo so thick you cannot walk thru that part of her yard, in a "feud" with the guy behind us who groom's his 8+ acres every week, rain or shine.

The neighbor to my west built a 6' tall wood fence but set it back from the chain link fence by about 4-5 feet, leaving a brushy corridor between the fences ....and a perfect place for copperheads. Even the City Animal Control guy refused to pick up the last copperhead that came out of the No Man's land area between the fences, it was so big...until I stoned it to death with broken bricks left over from a yard project....said NO Firearms could be discharged with him on site either.

Have not seen any live rattlesnakes yet this year except the ones down in the more heavily treed areas or run over in the street at the foot of the steep hill to my east, only copperheads so far. The coachwhips are a lot more aggressive than I expected too but the drought has not allowed the heavy weedy areas to develop from the City zoned tree line to the curb so far this year ...and the one last year just barely missed me the last time the dog wanted to "go see" the devil.

I'll probably start open carrying again in the fall when the dog and I can take our morning daily walks again past all the unimproved acre + sized unimproved property's up & down the east end of the street, once I am past my health issues.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8652028 07/29/22 11:42 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Back yard at the old ranch. Excellent snakes to have around.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8652056 07/30/22 12:04 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That Indigo looks unhappy.

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: 68rustbucket] #8652065 07/30/22 12:11 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
That Indigo looks unhappy.

LOL, was actually really mild tempered. That's been my experience with all of them, but yes they don't look happy.

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8652066 07/30/22 12:12 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
If I could run across one snake in the wild that I haven’t yet, it would be an indigo.

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: Sneaky] #8652074 07/30/22 12:19 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Sneaky
If I could run across one snake in the wild that I haven’t yet, it would be an indigo.

They are my favorite native snakes. Always sucks to hit one with a shredder on a tractor, chunks of snake flying everywhere. frown

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: Sneaky] #8652080 07/30/22 12:27 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General

Same here. Never seen one in the wild.

[Linked Image]
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8652204 07/30/22 02:50 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Indigo's are loved by folks in South Texas, they eat rattlesnakes (among other things) and while they can grow quite large and may look menacing. Are one of the most docile snakes you'll ever handle.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8652213 07/30/22 03:04 AM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
One year I took my youngest son down to the lease turkey hunting in Three Rivers. He was riding around with my buddy, when he stopped and pointed to a long black Indigo stretched all the way across the road. When my son asked what the black "hose" was and was told a snake, he locked the truck door!! Said later he wouldn't have got out of that truck right then, even if it caught fire!!!!!!!! smile

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8652292 07/30/22 11:18 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I ran across an Indigo on our lease a few years back. He was in the road and had a rattler wrapped up - it was a cool fight but you know who won! To this day I hate I did not have my phone to video the fight. Very cool snakes that will scare the crud out of you if you stumble up on one

You can't fix stupid
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: skinnerback] #8653362 08/01/22 12:09 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by skinnerback

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

that will take care of your rattle bugs

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8653382 08/01/22 12:38 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Which snake is it the usually if you see one there is another nearby?

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: flintknapper] #8653400 08/01/22 01:14 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Paluxy
Dog got rattlesnake bit last Thursday and just went alert on a copperhead an hour ago. Not sure he got bit this time. I'm good with the non-venomous snakes, had a high drama hognose for entertainment a week and half ago.

Yeah, I had a Chocolate Lab that just could NOT leave a snake alone. Got bit 3 different times by copperheads.

Hognose snakes are so funny. Man will they put on a show........!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

that's a dadgum cobra er sumthin.
bolt wink

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: TCM3] #8653414 08/01/22 01:42 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TCM3
Dog got rattlesnake bit last Thursday and just went alert on a copperhead an hour ago. Not sure he got bit this time. I'm good with the non-venomous snakes, had a high drama hognose for entertainment a week and half ago.

Yeah, I had a Chocolate Lab that just could NOT leave a snake alone. Got bit 3 different times by copperheads.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

bolt wink

Texas spreadin adder….

I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8653426 08/01/22 02:07 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by TCM3

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

bolt wink

Texas spreadin adder….

Yeah, that one was really trying to act mean. I put my hand down there and tapped him on the head a couple of times to see if he would bite (knew he wouldn't) and that was too much for him.

Immediately rolled over on his back and played dead. I righted him one time and he flipped right back over. Left him alone after that to go on his way. Funny snakes.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8653690 08/01/22 02:17 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by kmon11
These 2 were in the chicken coop. killed the chicken snake as it exited the laying box and the copperhead right after it crawled out of the coop. I saw it in the coop less than a foot from my foot for my first view of it. 33.5 inches is a big copperhead to me especially about 8 inches from the foot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Obviously a high fence protein fed copperhead....

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: skinnerback] #8653733 08/01/22 03:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Only snake I ever truly enjoy seeing

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8653737 08/01/22 03:25 PM
topwater13 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Copperhead is a pregnant female.....I believe they normally give birth to live young in August/Sept.

Good catch!

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kry226] #8820855 03/20/23 12:19 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by kry226
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I can now strike "chicken farmer" off my list of things to try in my retirement. I've only killed one copperhead, and it was a baby compared to that.

Makes me wanna think twice about running chickens in the panhandle. Do rattlers eat eggs? eeks333
Yes

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8820856 03/20/23 12:20 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Only snake I ever truly enjoy seeing

They are exceptionally pretty in the sunlight. They are absolutely deadly for a rattler.

Re: More backyard snakes [Re: kmon11] #8820884 03/20/23 01:12 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
A couple of days ago in South Texas. Be careful out there!

The North has double last names. The South has double first names.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide