Texas Hunting Forum

More backyard snakes

Posted By: kmon11

More backyard snakes - 07/14/22 08:06 PM

These 2 were in the chicken coop. killed the chicken snake as it exited the laying box and the copperhead right after it crawled out of the coop. I saw it in the coop less than a foot from my foot for my first view of it. 33.5 inches is a big copperhead to me especially about 8 inches from the foot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/14/22 08:14 PM

I can now strike "chicken farmer" off my list of things to try in my retirement. I've only killed one copperhead, and it was a baby compared to that.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/14/22 08:33 PM

Big copperhead. I remember years ago reaching in to get eggs and saw movement. 5 foot chicken snake. A buddy of mine got bit by one and he said it hurt like hell.
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/14/22 08:48 PM

I can make you a hat band out of that copperhead if you still have it
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/14/22 08:58 PM

Big copperhead!
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/14/22 10:19 PM

That is what we always found around our chicken coop
Posted By: kry226

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/15/22 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I can now strike "chicken farmer" off my list of things to try in my retirement. I've only killed one copperhead, and it was a baby compared to that.

Makes me wanna think twice about running chickens in the panhandle. Do rattlers eat eggs? eeks333
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/15/22 09:30 AM

Good job getting rid of both!
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/15/22 12:48 PM

Dead snake is good snake.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/15/22 01:26 PM

Big copperhead! I would tan that one for sure.
Posted By: Stub

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/15/22 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Good job getting rid of both!

up
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/21/22 02:28 AM

Snake haters are typically uneducated on them.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/21/22 02:42 AM

Dog got rattlesnake bit last Thursday and just went alert on a copperhead an hour ago. Not sure he got bit this time. I'm good with the non-venomous snakes, had a high drama hognose for entertainment a week and half ago.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/21/22 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Paluxy
Dog got rattlesnake bit last Thursday and just went alert on a copperhead an hour ago. Not sure he got bit this time. I'm good with the non-venomous snakes, had a high drama hognose for entertainment a week and half ago.

Yeah, I had a Chocolate Lab that just could NOT leave a snake alone. Got bit 3 different times by copperheads.

Hognose snakes are so funny. Man will they put on a show........!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tlk

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/22/22 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Reloder28

You know guys like you piss me off. I do not "hate" snakes. If I see one in the wild (which I have many many times) I let them go.

On the other hand if they are at my door step, on my back deck, in my barn, etc. where my wife and my family walk around (not to mention my dog) then I am taking them out - pretty brazen of you to tell people they are "uneducated" -

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/22/22 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by tlk

You know guys like you piss me off. I do not "hate" snakes. If I see one in the wild (which I have many many times) I let them go.

On the other hand if they are at my door step, on my back deck, in my barn, etc. where my wife and my family walk around (not to mention my dog) then I am taking them out - pretty brazen of you to tell people they are "uneducated" -

I don't think @Reloder28 meant to disparage anyone. Rather was just pointing out that not EVERY snake is venomous or a threat to anyone and that many folks are indeed 'ignorant' (perhaps a better word) or lack the ability to tell the difference between venomous and harmless. Certainly there are situations where it is proper to dispatch a snake rather than ignore or relocate it.

Some folks summarily kill every snake in close proximity to a dwelling, supposing it to be a threat.

I can appreciate that certain people have a phobia about snakes. I can say that with all honesty because while I am not afraid of snakes in the least.....SPIDERS give me the heebie-jebbies and I kill ALL that are anywhere around my house.

It could be rightfully said I am uneducated/ignorant of the role they play in the ecosystem and my unwillingness to accept that could be viewed as an unreasonable fear.

It simply is what it is... with me, but I would take no offense if anyone were to claim I was uneducated about them. I am. All I know about SPIDERS is that they are creepy. I admit it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/22/22 06:24 AM

roflmao cheers

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/23/22 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by tlk

I don't think @Reloder28 meant to disparage anyone. Rather was just pointing out that not EVERY snake is venomous or a threat to anyone and that many folks are indeed 'ignorant' (perhaps a better word) or lack the ability to tell the difference between venomous and harmless. Certainly there are situations where it is proper to dispatch a snake rather than ignore or relocate it.

Some folks summarily kill every snake in close proximity to a dwelling, supposing it to be a threat.

I can appreciate that certain people have a phobia about snakes. I can say that with all honesty because while I am not afraid of snakes in the least.....SPIDERS give me the heebie-jebbies and I kill ALL that are anywhere around my house.

It could be rightfully said I am uneducated/ignorant of the role they play in the ecosystem and my unwillingness to accept that could be viewed as an unreasonable fear.

It simply is what it is... with me, but I would take no offense if anyone were to claim I was uneducated about them. I am. All I know about SPIDERS is that they are creepy. I admit it.

[Linked Image]

So instead of saying "uneducated" you think "ignorant" is more appropriate - you go "snake rangle" all the snakes you want - if that turns you on then go for it - but most folks with common sense are not going to let snakes of any kind be where they live - carry on
Posted By: kmon11

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/23/22 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by tlk

If it were not for the chickens and eggs one of those snakes would have been sage in our back yard. We like eggs not feeding snakes our food and scaring our chickens. The copperheads do not get a pass close to the house though might get one from me in the woods. The king snakes we have are welcome as are the garden and black racers. The one snake may very well be one that hung around the back before we got the chickens a short time a couple years ago, no harm no foul. Having 2 small dogs, enjoying our back yard at night and small kids next door well the poisonous ones do not get a pass.

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/23/22 01:23 AM

end of the day it is up to each individual what to do with snakes around their home - so calling people ignorant or uneducated because they choose to not deal with them is ignorant in itself - you do with them what you want and I will do with them what I want - period
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/23/22 02:06 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/23/22 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by kmon11
Originally Posted by tlk

If it were not for the chickens and eggs one of those snakes would have been sage in our back yard. We like eggs not feeding snakes our food and scaring our chickens. The copperheads do not get a pass close to the house though might get one from me in the woods. The king snakes we have are welcome as are the garden and black racers. The one snake may very well be one that hung around the back before we got the chickens a short time a couple years ago, no harm no foul. Having 2 small dogs, enjoying our back yard at night and small kids next door well the poisonous ones do not get a pass.

Quite reasonable. Same rule at my house. Venomous snakes around the house or close outbuildings are not tolerated. ALL non-venomous snakes get a pass regardless where they are found.

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/23/22 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by tlk
end of the day it is up to each individual what to do with snakes around their home - so calling people ignorant or uneducated because they choose to not deal with them is ignorant in itself - you do with them what you want and I will do with them what I want - period

No...its two separate issues. No one is contesting one's 'right' to do as they wish with snakes around their house or elsewhere, provided the species is not protected (or not an immediate threat if they are protected).

The 'ignorance' issue is a valid conversation IMO....in that making informed decisions is generally a good thing in life and being 'educated' not altogether a bad thing either.

Some folks have simply been raised to think that 'Snake=Bad' and kill any and all encountered. A person more familiar with snakes and their place in the ecosystem is less likely to do so.

This doesn't mean that people who summarily kill snakes are stupid/unintelligent (different from ignorant). But sadly... many take offense when someone suggests they might be better informed.

Then you have those who genuinely possess a phobia or unreasonable fear of ALL snakes. These I understand....as I personally really, really don't like spiders despite knowing they too play a part in nature and for the most part are harmless.

So again....I submit one's 'right' to do something doesn't mean it is always the most appropriate thing to do. We see this in life over and over.

Posted By: Reloder28

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/29/22 01:53 AM

Flint Knapper,
You are correct.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/29/22 03:38 PM

Agree with Flintknapper. Snakes are part of the ecosystem. They neither bother or scare me. I learned a long time ago to watch where I go in the outdoors. Unless it’s a poisonous snake around the house I leave them alone. And, even then, I usually relocate poisonous ones.

More than once I’ve stopped and forced a rattler to get on across the road.

However, my wife and I hold opposing viewpoints. She was raised in the city.
Posted By: Blank

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/29/22 07:44 PM

One of the reasons to look up once in a while!!! 5.5 foot bull snake, in one of our BLM campgrounds.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/29/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

Quite reasonable. Same rule at my house. Venomous snakes around the house or close outbuildings are not tolerated. ALL non-venomous snakes get a pass regardless where they are found.

If the copperhead is in the yard he dies, they scare my wife and bite my dog. If a rat snake is in the yard and my wife has not seen it I shoo it to the woods to eat rats. If one gets in the chicken coop and/or eats eggs or scares my wife I kill it.
Posted By: sleepyhunter

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/29/22 08:04 PM

Snakes poisonious or not have no interest in Humans unless provoked, or surprised. If given the chance to escape they will. They simply operate on instinct and are interested in only basic functions to survive, find food and mate. I've caught Copperheads in my yard mainly in the hedges and relocate them to the nearby creek, same with the non venomous. I've dealt with Rattlesnakes in South and West Tx and killed several until I discovered they would retreat out of site quickly if you have a long enough stick to prod them with and allow them to escape. The dead snake pictured earlier in this thread looks like a Checkered King and is harmless it would have quickly moved away if given the chance. I suppose growing older has mellowed me out towards widlife, I would rather watch and see how they operate rather than inflicting harm. I do have my limits, fire ants, fleas, scorpions, mosquitos, hornets or any kind of flying insect that bites or stings will get taken out if possible.

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/29/22 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhunter
Snakes poisonious or not have no interest in Humans unless provoked, or surprised. If given the chance to escape they will. They simply operate on instinct and are interested in only basic functions to survive, find food and mate. I've caught Copperheads in my yard mainly in the hedges and relocate them to the nearby creek, same with the non venomous. I've dealt with Rattlesnakes in South and West Tx and killed several until I discovered they would retreat out of site quickly if you have a long enough stick to prod them with and allow them to escape. The dead snake pictured earlier in this thread looks like a Checkered King and is harmless it would have quickly moved away if given the chance. I suppose growing older has mellowed me out towards widlife, I would rather watch and see how they operate rather than inflicting harm. I do have my limits, fire ants, fleas, scorpions, mosquitos, hornets or any kind of flying insect that bites or stings will get taken out if possible.

Relocating them from around one's home is fine until you open your garage or back door and step on one. Or you dog finds one in your front yard, gets bit, and dies.

In the wild? Let them go
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/29/22 11:10 PM

Haven't seen anything down here in Pine Tree country except pit vipers, coachwhips and a couple "Red on Yellow" coral snakes. The Copperheads run about 4+ feet and are thick as my forearm are common even in the mowed grass in my back yard....'cause the neighbor to my east refuse's to clear the last couple acres of her 5+? acre yard & leaves it in a natural state with 100'+ pine tree's & 40'+ tall bamboo so thick you cannot walk thru that part of her yard, in a "feud" with the guy behind us who groom's his 8+ acres every week, rain or shine.

The neighbor to my west built a 6' tall wood fence but set it back from the chain link fence by about 4-5 feet, leaving a brushy corridor between the fences ....and a perfect place for copperheads. Even the City Animal Control guy refused to pick up the last copperhead that came out of the No Man's land area between the fences, it was so big...until I stoned it to death with broken bricks left over from a yard project....said NO Firearms could be discharged with him on site either.

Have not seen any live rattlesnakes yet this year except the ones down in the more heavily treed areas or run over in the street at the foot of the steep hill to my east, only copperheads so far. The coachwhips are a lot more aggressive than I expected too but the drought has not allowed the heavy weedy areas to develop from the City zoned tree line to the curb so far this year ...and the one last year just barely missed me the last time the dog wanted to "go see" the devil.

I'll probably start open carrying again in the fall when the dog and I can take our morning daily walks again past all the unimproved acre + sized unimproved property's up & down the east end of the street, once I am past my health issues.
Ron
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/29/22 11:42 PM

Back yard at the old ranch. Excellent snakes to have around.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/30/22 12:04 AM

That Indigo looks unhappy.

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/30/22 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
That Indigo looks unhappy.

LOL, was actually really mild tempered. That's been my experience with all of them, but yes they don't look happy.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/30/22 12:12 AM

If I could run across one snake in the wild that I haven’t yet, it would be an indigo.

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/30/22 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
If I could run across one snake in the wild that I haven’t yet, it would be an indigo.

They are my favorite native snakes. Always sucks to hit one with a shredder on a tractor, chunks of snake flying everywhere. frown
Posted By: kry226

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/30/22 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Same here. Never seen one in the wild.

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/30/22 02:50 AM

Indigo's are loved by folks in South Texas, they eat rattlesnakes (among other things) and while they can grow quite large and may look menacing. Are one of the most docile snakes you'll ever handle.
Posted By: Blank

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/30/22 03:04 AM

One year I took my youngest son down to the lease turkey hunting in Three Rivers. He was riding around with my buddy, when he stopped and pointed to a long black Indigo stretched all the way across the road. When my son asked what the black "hose" was and was told a snake, he locked the truck door!! Said later he wouldn't have got out of that truck right then, even if it caught fire!!!!!!!! smile

Re: More backyard snakes - 07/30/22 11:18 AM

I ran across an Indigo on our lease a few years back. He was in the road and had a rattler wrapped up - it was a cool fight but you know who won! To this day I hate I did not have my phone to video the fight. Very cool snakes that will scare the crud out of you if you stumble up on one
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: More backyard snakes - 08/01/22 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

that will take care of your rattle bugs
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: More backyard snakes - 08/01/22 12:38 AM

Which snake is it the usually if you see one there is another nearby?
Posted By: TCM3

Re: More backyard snakes - 08/01/22 01:14 AM

Yeah, I had a Chocolate Lab that just could NOT leave a snake alone. Got bit 3 different times by copperheads.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

that's a dadgum cobra er sumthin.
bolt wink
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: More backyard snakes - 08/01/22 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by TCM3

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

bolt wink

Texas spreadin adder….

Re: More backyard snakes - 08/01/22 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by TCM3

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

bolt wink

Texas spreadin adder….

Yeah, that one was really trying to act mean. I put my hand down there and tapped him on the head a couple of times to see if he would bite (knew he wouldn't) and that was too much for him.

Immediately rolled over on his back and played dead. I righted him one time and he flipped right back over. Left him alone after that to go on his way. Funny snakes.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: More backyard snakes - 08/01/22 02:17 PM

These 2 were in the chicken coop. killed the chicken snake as it exited the laying box and the copperhead right after it crawled out of the coop. I saw it in the coop less than a foot from my foot for my first view of it. 33.5 inches is a big copperhead to me especially about 8 inches from the foot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Obviously a high fence protein fed copperhead....
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: More backyard snakes - 08/01/22 03:23 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Only snake I ever truly enjoy seeing
Posted By: topwater13

Re: More backyard snakes - 08/01/22 03:25 PM

Copperhead is a pregnant female.....I believe they normally give birth to live young in August/Sept.

Good catch!
Posted By: wal1809

Re: More backyard snakes - 03/20/23 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Makes me wanna think twice about running chickens in the panhandle. Do rattlers eat eggs? eeks333
Yes
Posted By: wal1809

Re: More backyard snakes - 03/20/23 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Only snake I ever truly enjoy seeing

They are exceptionally pretty in the sunlight. They are absolutely deadly for a rattler.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: More backyard snakes - 03/20/23 01:12 PM

A couple of days ago in South Texas. Be careful out there!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: More backyard snakes - 03/20/23 01:21 PM

I’ve posted this before. At one time my place was loaded with snakes; mostly rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths. They were everywhere. And then the pigs moved in. I think I’ve seen one snake, a grass snake, on the property in the last twenty years.

I preferred the snakes.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: More backyard snakes - 03/20/23 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

[Linked Image]

confused2 @ least they b using good grammar.

Friend @ the foundry (an ex pro boxer) wanted me ta go on a rattle snake round up.
Admit not good @ identifiying different types, tis one of the ones that gets he-b- ge- zees
around snakes. Would have liked ta gone on a round up, but with someone that knew what they doing.
Like ol Wolf ( the person @ foundry, his nick name).

rofl would haveta put on some depends though.

Curious ? @ these snake round ups, they put on shows, how ta handle them & think they extract Venium.
But what they do with them after words ?

edit : tis scratch thinking, O Pster is educated enough he didn't want copper head around yard it venomous.
& chicken snake eats the eggs & also effects the hens from laying.
bang & i got D- in grammar.

flag
Posted By: 1955

Re: More backyard snakes - 03/29/23 02:25 AM

scared
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum