Forums46
Topics538,043
Posts9,732,290
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8635097 07/06/22 12:33 AM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
It appears some are tiring of my thread, sorry. For those that have tried to help, I really do appreciate it.
FiremanJG and DStroud, separately, allowed me to test their binos in the field. First of all, I got to spend a lot of time with both of them and they are great guys, no doubt.
I side by side compared the following. Except my current one, they all are range finding and have ballistic stuff.
>My current Leupold 10x42 that I won in a big buck contest 30 years ago. Im guessing they were $800 back then and if there is any model type info on them then it is unreadable.
>Leica Geovid 3200 10x42. Everything about them is great to my, pretty much, novice eye. Except they seem bigger and bulkier than I am used to and could be a deal killer.
>Swaro TA 10x42. Same comments as the Leica except they dont fit in my hands as good as the Leica and definitely not as comfy as my old Leos. They have a big "hump" right where my thumbs go and the loops where strap go is where my fingers want to be. It was really annoying.
>Leica Pro 8x32. Really hard to compare 8x to 10x for me. Also, I have always used 10x so may be hard to go 8x. As expected, they are not as big and bulky as the other high end ones. If 10x42s were this size it would be an easy choice for me.

I dont know if its my bad eyes, or what, but optically, I couldnt tell much difference in any of them compared to mine. Also, mine fit me like an old pair of boots(as Fireman said). Both Fireman and Stroud could tell a decent amount of difference in all compared to mine. Im sure they are right but I spent a long time trying to split hairs to see much difference. What I did notice is that the high end stuff is clearer throughout the entire field of view compared to mine. But when I focused mine on a small area is when it didnt seem much different. Couldnt measure eye fatigue but Ill assume the good stuff would win out over mine.
I guess the jury is still out, and considering my current pair appears "good enough", its pretty easy to stand pat. I may do some more research and Im going to the TWA Annual Convention next week and there will be optic vendors there. I may keep piddling with some research but for now my decision is no decision.
Maybe Creeks ex will pray for my decision......

Last edited by freerange; 07/06/22 12:36 AM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8635106 07/06/22 12:43 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I was just busting your chops, my eyes have gotten bad enough in the last few years I can’t tell the difference from a thousand dollar set to a $4,000 set so I can’t justify the expense personally any more. I’ve spent solid money on Swaro’s in the past and once I couldn’t tell the difference in those and the ones I spent a grand on I gave the last good pair to my nephew for helping me one week and havnt looked back.

My 2 cents is if you can’t tell any difference don’t waste your money, it’s pointless.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8635111 07/06/22 12:46 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thump, I know you were busting my chops. I have no problem with you except youre too busy to ever come look at my pond problem. Its still unfixed.... up

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8635112 07/06/22 12:47 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
It appears some are tiring of my thread, sorry. For those that have tried to help, I really do appreciate it.
FiremanJG and DStroud, separately, allowed me to test their binos in the field. First of all, I got to spend a lot of time with both of them and they are great guys, no doubt.
I side by side compared the following. Except my current one, they all are range finding and have ballistic stuff.
>My current Leupold 10x42 that I won in a big buck contest 30 years ago. Im guessing they were $800 back then and if there is any model type info on them then it is unreadable.
>Leica Geovid 3200 10x42. Everything about them is great to my, pretty much, novice eye. Except they seem bigger and bulkier than I am used to and could be a deal killer.
>Swaro TA 10x42. Same comments as the Leica except they dont fit in my hands as good as the Leica and definitely not as comfy as my old Leos. They have a big "hump" right where my thumbs go and the loops where strap go is where my fingers want to be. It was really annoying.
>Leica Pro 8x32. Really hard to compare 8x to 10x for me. Also, I have always used 10x so may be hard to go 8x. As expected, they are not as big and bulky as the other high end ones. If 10x42s were this size it would be an easy choice for me.

I dont know if its my bad eyes, or what, but optically, I couldnt tell much difference in any of them compared to mine. Also, mine fit me like an old pair of boots(as Fireman said). Both Fireman and Stroud could tell a decent amount of difference in all compared to mine. Im sure they are right but I spent a long time trying to split hairs to see much difference. What I did notice is that the high end stuff is clearer throughout the entire field of view compared to mine. But when I focused mine on a small area is when it didnt seem much different. Couldnt measure eye fatigue but Ill assume the good stuff would win out over mine.
I guess the jury is still out, and considering my current pair appears "good enough", its pretty easy to stand pat. I may do some more research and Im going to the TWA Annual Convention next week and there will be optic vendors there. I may keep piddling with some research but for now my decision is no decision.

You are in luck as Leica just released 10x32 Geovid Pro Rangefinding Binoculars

https://www.scheels.com/p/leica-geovid-pro-10x32-rangefinding-binoculars/79942940810.html

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8635121 07/06/22 12:56 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

You are in luck as Leica just released 10x32 Geovid Pro Rangefinding Binoculars

https://www.scheels.com/p/leica-geovid-pro-10x32-rangefinding-binoculars/79942940810.html

Oh, crap! Back to the alter.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8635234 07/06/22 04:25 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
roflmao

BOBO just made me laugh

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8635469 07/06/22 06:19 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Update.... Ive certainly learned a lot during this thread. Ive learned a lot about RF binos and the various choices that are out there. Ive learned a lot about what I want, dont want, like and dont like. Ive learned what may be a deal killer and what may be icing on the cake. I had about settled on not liking anything out there compared to what ive got. Most of that was because all the options were just too big and bulky.
Then Bobo mentioned the new for 2022 Leica Pro in 10x32(not 8x and not x42). Originally the 8x32 I had a hard time thinking I would like 8x instead of the 10x im used to. I had heard about the 10x32 before but quickly forgot cause I guess I assumed I wouldnt like the 32. But both the 8x32 and 10x32 are very compact compared to ANY of the 10x42. This compact(relatively, considering RF and ballistics) size is really a game changer for me so Im seriously considering the 10x32.
For any of yall that have stayed with me on this, I wish you would revisit and tell me what you think of the Leica Pro 10x32. Mostly it has already checked all my boxes and I am mostly wanting specific opinion on what I would lose between the 32 vs 42. I think I am ok with a loss of field of view(for me.) I think the alpha glass compared to mine will make up for any loss in low light.
Any revisits from the trusted THF? Im afraid I may HAVE to buy these just to try and save face.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8635496 07/06/22 07:09 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I don’t know anything about them but don’t buy anything just to save face!!

For what it’s worth I think we hunt some of the same type deer and similar hunting situations to an extent and personally I’m not hunting with anything but a pair of 10x42’s unless they found a way to draw more light into the 32’s. We generally kill our deer within the first and last 30 minutes of light unless it’s during the rut and that little extra makes all the difference in the world trying to decide if it’s a 160 or a 180 in the brush. I’m not terribly picky about many things related to bino’s but magnification and light gathering ability are my must haves to give me the confidence in a go or no go situation. Everyone has their preferences but mine are 10 power and 42’s,

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8635497 07/06/22 07:11 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Just FYI, no need to "save face" just for putting something out there and asking opinions. I have done lots of that in the past, none of my threads ever got as much traction, but ultimately you are in control of the purse-strings.

As I mentioned ot you earlier, my only thought on the x32's is less light gathering ability in lower light. I do not have any real world experience to compare tha to as I have always used x40's, but I am sure someone on here can give a good real world break down of where you might see it the most. I would suspect it woud be in those last trailing moments of light when it really doesn't matter since no one shoots at that late a time anyway.....aside from those mere moments of difference, do the x32's have any draw back on severe overcast days or looking into dark shadows?

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8635513 07/06/22 07:33 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I think light gathering will be not near as noticeable as one would think due to quality of glass. Your eyes can only pick up so much to begin with. Biggest difference would be FOV. IMO that’s just personal preference

I think Leica was smart in creating this size. I’d taking them archery elk hunting where I normally don’t even carry binos

It also has the mark map function for guys like me that forget where stuff was standing

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8635818 07/07/22 03:17 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Just to add to your indecision I read on another website that the 42mm Leica Pro’s will be added next year.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8636006 07/07/22 02:03 PM
F
fredgus Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
buzz has probably bought and sold three guns during this post

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: fredgus] #8636081 07/07/22 03:07 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by fredgus

Now that’s funny!

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: DStroud] #8636129 07/07/22 04:00 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by DStroud
Just to add to your indecision I read on another website that the 42mm Leica Pro’s will be added next year.

Thanks for that info DStroud. If that was what I wanted then I would be ok waiting that long. However, I would assume the 10x42 Pros would be very similar size to the 10x42 3200s and the Swaro 10x42s and I really dont want to saddle myself with that.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8636210 07/07/22 05:18 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Question....Field of View. Remember Im not too bright on this stuff so help me confirm.
I "assumed" 10x32 would have smaller FOV than 10x42 but according to specs online thats not true(at least on units im looking at.)
Leica Pro 10x32 shows Linear Field of View is... 345 feet at 1000 yards.
Leica 3200 10x42 shows Linear Field of View is. 342 feet at 1000 yards.
Swaro EL 10x42 shows Linear Field of View is.... 319 feet at 1000 yards.
...Am I missing something???? These are all range finding binos with ballistics.

Last edited by freerange; 07/07/22 05:20 PM.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8636231 07/07/22 05:45 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Question....Field of View. Remember Im not too bright on this stuff so help me confirm.
I "assumed" 10x32 would have smaller FOV than 10x42 but according to specs online thats not true(at least on units im looking at.)
...Am I missing something???? These are all range finding binos with ballistics.

The FOV is greater as the focal length is shorter. Regarding the two Leicas, the 10x32s have a shorter focal length than the 10x42s. Obviously focal length isn’t the only factor that impacts FOV. Also have to consider tube diameter as well as objective size. Lots of pieces to the puzzle.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8636237 07/07/22 05:55 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I’m supprised, but they are not compact, well there goes the only negative I could see grin

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: fredgus] #8636244 07/07/22 06:03 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by fredgus

lol35

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: Theringworm] #8636248 07/07/22 06:05 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Theringworm

The FOV is greater as the focal length is shorter. Regarding the two Leicas, the 10x32s have a shorter focal length than the 10x42s. Obviously focal length isn’t the only factor that impacts FOV. Also have to consider tube diameter as well as objective size. Lots of pieces to the puzzle.

What the good doctor is saying is, look at the specs for field of view on all of them from 0 to 500 yards.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8636275 07/07/22 06:50 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Theringworm, thats good info but its too much for me. I dont need the WHY but im just insuring that the specs should be correct and transfer to the field.

Bobo, so if they are perfect for you then Scheels has one pair and you can buy them and let me try. I know, you want 12x. Remember, I did say they were "compact" in RELATION and COMPARED to the other high end RF with ballistic info that I was comparing to. Definitely more compact than them but nothing like my Zeiss 8x20 I can stick in my pocket.

Fireman, I hope I can trust the specs and not have to test every unit at multiple yardages in the field. I dont think FOV is super critical to me anyway.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8636762 07/08/22 12:35 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Let’s not leave a stone unturned...... cheers

https://www.sigsauer.com/kilo6k-hd....ACT&utm_medium=email&utm_source=

Initial reports I have read say glass is good without the blue tint in the 10k’s. Doug at Cameraland’s website shows them but no stock yet as they are brand new.

Last edited by DStroud; 07/08/22 12:42 PM.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: DStroud] #8636802 07/08/22 01:29 PM
G
gr8fuldoug Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G

Initial reports I have read say glass is good without the blue tint in the 10k’s. Doug at Cameraland’s website shows them but no stock yet as they are brand new.

According to our rep they "should be" shipping in the next few weeks

Doug @ Camera Land

gr8fuldoug@aol.com
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support we receive
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8636828 07/08/22 02:17 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Theringworm, thats good info but its too much for me. I dont need the WHY but im just insuring that the specs should be correct and transfer to the field.

Bobo, so if they are perfect for you then Scheels has one pair and you can buy them and let me try. I know, you want 12x. Remember, I did say they were "compact" in RELATION and COMPARED to the other high end RF with ballistic info that I was comparing to. Definitely more compact than them but nothing like my Zeiss 8x20 I can stick in my pocket.

Fireman, I hope I can trust the specs and not have to test every unit at multiple yardages in the field. I dont think FOV is super critical to me anyway.

If money wasn’t an option I’d buy them for bowhunting the weight and size is pretty appealing.

I’m starting to think 12x just won’t be ever an option, So 10x on chest and 15x in pack might not be a bad way to go. Hummmm

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: DStroud] #8636855 07/08/22 02:39 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

According to our rep they "should be" shipping in the next few weeks

Not too late to turn stones. Grandson baseball all day so just glanced at sig. I guess they chasing Leica on smaller. It’s even smaller I think.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8636875 07/08/22 03:08 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Ok here’s my plan. You send Doug a deposit and get in-line early as soon as you get them call and I will get over there quick to try them out. smile ani

Jack O'Connor 1963
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide