Print Thread
Cellular Game Cameras - It's complicated #8633774 07/03/22 06:20 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I just recently purchased my first cellular game camera, which has given me the opportunity to experiment with how they work and the networks that support them. Mine is a Moultrie 4G camera that I caught on sale at Academy for less than $80. Knowing that cell coverage is weak at my lease in East Texas, that made me even more eager to see how it would work out, including adding an external antenna to improve reception.

The issue that's now on my radar is the same one that became the subject of another post some time ago, the fact that cellular network providers may eventually turn off the network these cameras need to transmit images. In other words, if you buy a new camera today, how long should you expect the network to be around to support it? It's something owners of 3G cameras are dealing with now and losing the battle.

Based on articles I've seen on the Net, 4G networks are expected to be around for another decade. However, that doesn't mean the monthly cost of network access will remain the same. I've already received an email from Verizon telling me they will be increasing my bill about $12 a month because my phones use 4G. Naturally, they want their customers to buy new 5G phones in order to recoup the cost of upgrading their networks. That leaves me believing the current $5.85 that I'm paying Moultrie every month for network connectivity is likely to increase as well. I never expected a long-term, price locked contract for network access to support a game camera might be a good thing.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/03/22 06:24 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Cellular Game Cameras - It's complicated [Re: Texas Dan] #8634397 07/04/22 09:21 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I had 5 Bushnell game cams 3 to 4 years old that were 3G, in February they sent an email saying that they would soon quit working and I could buy up to 5 replacement +2 of the newest model for $75 each and II jumped on it. The old cams still work as regular non cellular cams...

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - It's complicated [Re: Texas Dan] #8634648 07/05/22 12:20 PM
Pootie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
From my experience: had a 3g bushnell that was rock solid. Replaced it when 3g died with bushnell cellucore and it worked well for a while. Started putting a deep rose colored tint to pics, so sent it to bushnell and was sent a replacement which is now sending only b&w pics and allows a lot of water inside which condenses on the lens cover inside giving blurred images. Bought another a while back under the program described by bronco 71 above and will replace the problem child with it, but won't buy another one. Have a Tactacam Reveal that is doing well, so will probably go that route in the future.

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: Cellular Game Cameras - It's complicated [Re: Texas Dan] #8634845 07/05/22 05:16 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
The hands down best 4g cellular camera is the Ridgetecs, there is nothing on the market close to flexibility, ease of use, app interface or image quality, problem is that you pay for them. I have one that is going on its 5 season, cows mud stomped one, it has been sitting outside and I occasionally spray it with water, I think eventually all of the mud may come off and out of it.

We have been using the CelluCore with reasonable good luck, 2 had to be returned out of the 10-12 we have.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Cellular Game Cameras - It's complicated [Re: David Maas] #8634885 07/05/22 06:43 PM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by David Maas
The hands down best 4g cellular camera is the Ridgetecs, there is nothing on the market close to flexibility, ease of use, app interface or image quality, problem is that you pay for them. I have one that is going on its 5 season, cows mud stomped one, it has been sitting outside and I occasionally spray it with water, I think eventually all of the mud may come off and out of it.

We have been using the CelluCore with reasonable good luck, 2 had to be returned out of the 10-12 we have.

This. RidgeTech has by far been the most reliable from my experience. They would own the market if they could get their price point down.

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - It's complicated [Re: David Maas] #8651826 07/29/22 07:50 PM
S
Smittyb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by David Maas

Any experience with Exodus? They are supposed to be pretty good, but they cost more.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide