Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8594469 05/09/22 06:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
I'm very happy with my 5.0 Ford. Plenty of power and decent gas mileage. Only way I would by a diesel is in a 3/4 and only for pulling.

The 5.0 coyote is a good engine

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594472 05/09/22 06:18 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My Travel Trailer was 9k lbs. i would have dreaded to tow that thing with a 1/2 ton.

Glad I got rid of it, but people who own TT’s more often than not need the power of the diesel in a HD platform

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8594490 05/09/22 06:49 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by Judd
I've always found it interesting folks who deem what others should be driving. FWIW...I don't give AF what you think I should drive nor do I care what you drive.

I just read an article that says we are deep into our diesel reserve and by June we could see some places running out of it. Interesting, this was less than 24 hours after BigPig mentioned in passing that 3 or 4 different gas stations in Forney were out of diesel last evening.

I cannot imagine the additional 100hp the 3.5 ecoboost has wouldn't be noticed while towing and running around town, over the 3.0 Chebby. The fuel mileage numbers are impressive but if diesel stays 1.25 higher then that's all for nothing. I know for a fact it'll stomp a hole in a Dodge eco's donkey.

Why so angry? lmao

I already stated the additional fuel economy in the diesel is basically a wash with the price of fuel.

I don't think anyone here said anything bad about the 3.5 eco boost anywhere.

I'd love to hook 4 or 5k lbs behind it and a 3.0 duramax and see which out performs the other both in pulling and in MPG.
I haven't read of anyone getting 19+ in the eco boost with a 16' lowboy running 80 down the highway but I guess maybe it is possible.

Didn't mean to come off angry LOL! Well except the second sentence I guess. The comments about people having 3/4 tons and not needing them did get me and comments like that bug me across the board...like so and so doesn't need a hotrod, bassboat, etc etc etc. In general people need to mind their own business and worry about their own house. Until the person talking is assisting with bills for the other person, they shouldn't have any opinion in the matter...odds are the other person wants to drive that and can afford it, who am I (or anyone else) to say they shouldn't be driving that?

No one had mentioned the 3.5 ecoboost so I threw it out there...it will perform better than the Dodge and on paper (because I haven't driven one) the Chebby too, 100HP is a fair amount of difference with basically the same torque number. You're right the eco won't get 19+ with a trailer...more like 12-15 depending on how much those turbos are spinning. As we did both agree...mileage at the cost difference in diesel (not to mention maintenance) pretty much negates any of that.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: Judd] #8594509 05/09/22 07:24 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
I've always found it interesting folks who deem what others should be driving. FWIW...I don't give AF what you think I should drive nor do I care what you drive.

I just read an article that says we are deep into our diesel reserve and by June we could see some places running out of it. Interesting, this was less than 24 hours after BigPig mentioned in passing that 3 or 4 different gas stations in Forney were out of diesel last evening.

I cannot imagine the additional 100hp the 3.5 ecoboost has wouldn't be noticed while towing and running around town, over the 3.0 Chebby. The fuel mileage numbers are impressive but if diesel stays 1.25 higher then that's all for nothing. I know for a fact it'll stomp a hole in a Dodge eco's donkey.

Why so angry? lmao

I already stated the additional fuel economy in the diesel is basically a wash with the price of fuel.

I'd love to hook 4 or 5k lbs behind it and a 3.0 duramax and see which out performs the other both in pulling and in MPG.
I haven't read of anyone getting 19+ in the eco boost with a 16' lowboy running 80 down the highway but I guess maybe it is possible.

Didn't mean to come off angry LOL! Well except the second sentence I guess. The comments about people having 3/4 tons and not needing them did get me and comments like that bug me across the board...like so and so doesn't need a hotrod, bassboat, etc etc etc. In general people need to mind their own business and worry about their own house. Until the person talking is assisting with bills for the other person, they shouldn't have any opinion in the matter...odds are the other person wants to drive that and can afford it, who am I (or anyone else) to say they shouldn't be driving that?

No one had mentioned the 3.5 ecoboost so I threw it out there...it will perform better than the Dodge and on paper (because I haven't driven one) the Chebby too, 100HP is a fair amount of difference with basically the same torque number. You're right the eco won't get 19+ with a trailer...more like 12-15 depending on how much those turbos are spinning. As we did both agree...mileage at the cost difference in diesel (not to mention maintenance) pretty much negates any of that.

I agree with you.
I've heard those little ecoboosts are workhorses for sure.

And on paper there is no doubt it does out perform both but we both know paper means nothing until the hitches are dropped onto the balls.
And I've pulled enough stuff over the years to know there is a big, big difference in diesel torque than gasoline torque so that is why I said I'd love to drive both with the exact same loads behind them just to see if the torque listed meets the ground like it does in the little diesel. I've pulled some pretty heavy loads with big gasoline engines (454 & 460s) and they certainly will pull but the big difference to me is when you get up to highway speed and that is where the diesel will win out every time in my experiences.

Of course a lot depends on where the torque band is with each one and that is one place where the little duramax may have that advantage because it is well into it's torque band at only 1600 rpms. I'm not sure where the 3.5L ecoboost has to be to be into it.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594510 05/09/22 07:25 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
My Travel Trailer was 9k lbs. i would have dreaded to tow that thing with a 1/2 ton.

Glad I got rid of it, but people who own TT’s more often than not need the power of the diesel in a HD platform

Yup
Though some of the 1/2 tons are rated for that and more.....no thanks. I want at least a 3/4 ton with that much behind me. lol

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: Judd] #8594522 05/09/22 08:01 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Why so angry? lmao

Nobody cares what you or anyone else wants or needs to drive. The point, which was clearly missed, was that quite a few folks who drive 3/4 tons, get 14 mpg, and pay $5 per gallon will quickly decide the 1/2 ton works just fine for their use, when they don't "need" the 3/4 ton for light duty work. Thus the entire point of this thread and several who have posted have agreed. You are confusing "needs" with "wants".

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594529 05/09/22 08:30 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I have a 2020 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel Crew 4x4. 37k, no issues at all, avg 23.6 mpg over it's life. Fantastic ride, great interior, pulls my 30' TT easily. Not much to hate about it. My son just bought a refreshed '22 GMC Crew 4x4 Duramax and it's a great improvement over the old style it replaced. Very nice all the way around. As it stand today I'll take a 1/2T diesel over any 1/2 T gas burner I've ever owned, and that would include all of them several times over.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: Jgraider] #8594535 05/09/22 08:46 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I have a 2020 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel Crew 4x4. 37k, no issues at all, avg 23.6 mpg over it's life. Fantastic ride, great interior, pulls my 30' TT easily. Not much to hate about it. My son just bought a refreshed '22 GMC Crew 4x4 Duramax and it's a great improvement over the old style it replaced. Very nice all the way around. As it stand today I'll take a 1/2T diesel over any 1/2 T gas burner I've ever owned, and that would include all of them several times over.

Jg, is your son's new one the one with the gear shift on the console and full electronic dash?

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: Jgraider] #8594536 05/09/22 08:53 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

This is great real world info.

If you had to buy today, would you go GMC or Ram?

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594550 05/09/22 09:19 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T

I had a GMC 2500 before I got my RAM. RAM interior is night and day better than the GMC, and that was a Denali trim. Had the dealer do an enhanced PDI when it was delivered and they found some things to fix at that point, but otherwise I haven't had issues with the truck after a year and 14k miles

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8594559 05/09/22 09:54 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Jg, is your son's new one the one with the gear shift on the console and full electronic dash?

Yessir it is. I really like the new interior a lot.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594562 05/09/22 09:57 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Well, I can't really say yet since I haven't driven his yet. I plan to do that when we go up to McKinney for his birthday in a couple of weeks. I do really love the idea of the straight six diesel though, even though my Ram has been perfect. FWIW I have he 3.92 rear end, I think his is a 3.23 and get a little better mileage. It is a very quiet ride like my Ram.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594644 05/10/22 12:42 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Gonna drive a diesel Rebel tomorrow.

I’m not 100% on board….AT4 is 9-12 months out. May go that route for my next truck.

Good thing is, I’m not stuck with a beater now and if I have to drive the Tremor for another year I could be much worse off

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594648 05/10/22 12:47 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
If I had to go to a 1/2 ton

Tundra

Diesel 3/4 ton, Tundra or Tacoma

And that’s about it honestly

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594656 05/10/22 01:01 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I’m big into what’s proven

The Ford Ecoboost has little resale at 100k, about like a Ram 1500 w 100k

Even though the Ecoboost was the next big thing 10 years ago

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594657 05/10/22 01:03 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
You’re gonna take a bath on them all at 100k

Might as well take a better one is my view

I was shocked at what my Tundra brought

And I went w a 3/4 ton Diesel to replace it

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594667 05/10/22 01:13 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I wouldn't touch a new Tundra for anything right now.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: Jgraider] #8594671 05/10/22 01:16 AM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob

They are fugly!

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8594678 05/10/22 01:23 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by redchevy
I’ve got one and love it. I agree that the duramax pulls harder and like the gm 10 speed over rams 8.

The power loss from the big diesel is going to be monumental difference. They do get good mileage, but if your going to up size the tires and drive 70+mph your not going to be anywhere near 30 mpg. With diesel at $5.30 a gal locally it’s 30-40% higher than gas and getting real turf to justify. I would go with a gas personally.

Thought crossed my mind as well….but I’ll get at best 17-18 mpg with a gas truck and not be able to pull the loads near as comfortably. If I go back to gas I’ll get a Ford.

But you are right about me adding bigger tires and driving 75 everywhere I go. Stock tires and those sizes would only be a headache for me

I like mine and it tows fine but it takes its time doing it. An ecoboost the new tundra turbo 6 and the ram inline turbo 6 if it makes it out will all best the mini me diesels towing ability in a big way! The torque numbers are similar but the gas options make way more hp. If diesel stays priced how it is compared to gas buying the diesel is a mistake.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: GusWayne] #8594683 05/10/22 01:26 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by procraft05
I’m big into what’s proven

The Ford Ecoboost has little resale at 100k, about like a Ram 1500 w 100k

Even though the Ecoboost was the next big thing 10 years ago

What do you mean was the next big thing? It is the big thing, it’s fords top selling motor and ram and Toyota are copying it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: GusWayne] #8594690 05/10/22 01:37 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by procraft05
You’re gonna take a bath on them all at 100k

and I don't like taking baths. I sold my last diesel with 160k miles on it and got top dollar.

That's why I'm driving a 3/4 ton currently.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8594713 05/10/22 02:19 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DocHorton
I got the 6.2L gas, not the Duramax, but my prediction is more and more people will be switching from 3/4 tons to 1/2 ton diesels. I would not be surprised to see the 1/2 ton have as good of resale once they become more mainstream over the next few years. It seems many folks who drive a 3/4 ton don't really need them, and with diesel at close to $5 a gallon and not likely to drop any time soon it will make those trucks getting 14 mpg harder to drive compared to the 1/2 tons that get double that. JMO.

lmao

I'd bet that well over 50% of the folks driving the 3/4 ton diesels DON'T need them.
There are a bunch of wannbe cowboy rednecks around LaVernia TX that for sure don't need them. Hell, they all seem to drive them and all live in a subdivision and don't even own a lowboy trailer but man they got some big old trucks. lmao

Man do I have a truck for you!!!!!

Lightly used, urban subdivision soccer dad truck!!!! Never seen a trailer or off-road!!

190k and shocks still have oil in them, it’s still wet at the bottom!!(note that mud is from when they re-soded the yard and it rained) it’s never actually seen dirt with out concrete.

[Linked Image]

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8594720 05/10/22 02:30 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

They are fugly!

That, and this.....stolen from another forum:
"I'm on a few Tundra pages, including one for the 2022 model. Lots of stories from New Tundra owners whose trucks are sitting at dealers for weeks due to problems. Rear axle shaft that slid out, front Strut assembly failure, and plenty of turbo issues. Then there are common complaints about wind noise around windows, squeaking dashes and consoles, seat belt alarms, leaking roofs, etc.

It's bad enough that a popular truck and suv youtuber suggested 2 months ago that the 2022 might be a flop. Oh, and MPG isn't all that much improved."

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: 68rustbucket] #8594740 05/10/22 03:33 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Anybody running a baby Powerstroke in 1/2 ton?

Ford dropped those and went all electric. Great move on their part, they’ll cater to the woke feminine crowd.

Last edited by BigPig; 05/10/22 03:33 AM.
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: BigPig] #8594741 05/10/22 03:34 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Anybody running a baby Powerstroke in 1/2 ton?

Ford dropped those and went all electric. Great move on their part, they’ll cater to the woke feminine crowd.

Fitting IMHO

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide