Texas Hunting Forum

Another 1/2 ton diesel thread

Posted By: txtrophy85

Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 03:22 AM

anyone have any idea what the resale is like on them?

My current and previous truck have both been 3/4 ton diesels. Pro's to the 3/4 ton diesels are they look good, have gobs of power, tough as nails and the resale on them is fantastic, which since I trade off every 3 years is a huge plus.

Due to current diesel prices and me wanting to downsize a tad I've begun looking at 1/2 ton diesels. The two guys I know get pretty good mileage in them and believe it or not, get better mileage towing a boat or trailer than I do in my 3/4 ton.

One pause i have is the resale......with 100-150k on them, are you going to take a beating like you would in a gas engine truck?

I like the 3/4 ton platform but I don't need a diesel in one ( and a gas engine in a 3/4 ton is out of the question).....The only load I've pulled in the last 3 years that would have justified a HD truck I probably could have managed with a 1/2 ton. I could certainly appreciate 25-30 mpg in a easier to manage truck. They only downside would be the smaller bed as I regularly haul 30-35 sacks of feed but I do have a 12' trailer i could employ. Heaviest thing I tow on the reg is a 4500 lb trailer w/ can am and a 5000 lb boat.....which a 3.0 diesel in either flavor should be able to pull handily.

Posted By: BigPig

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 06:57 AM

I can’t see them holding value as well as a 3/4 to 1-ton diesel. Everything wrapped around and supporting that small diesel isn’t as strong as what’s wrapped and supporting the bigger diesels. With diesel fuel getting more and more expensive, I’m sure the diesel vehicle market will be tanking rather quickly. I’m hoping within a year that the MegaCab I want is back down to around $50k
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 11:34 AM

No way to know what the market will bear. Right now a 15 year old 200K mile 2500 diesel is worth $25K or more. Doesn't mean it still will be in three years when you'll be trading. If the price bubble pops it won't matter what the resale is. Getting a new 1500 diesel equipped the way you want won't be easy either right now.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 11:57 AM

I wouldn’t want one for multiple reasons.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

[Linked Image]

Hahahha
Exactly

I switched over this past year and am not looking back. The 3.0 baby duramax runs great, gets great mpgs, and has way more pulling power than even the 6.2L gas does in the half tons much less comparing it to a 5.3L. There is no comparison.

The added fuel mileage is basically a wash with the higher price of diesel but I wouldn't care if it wasn't. I like when I put a low boy behind it I can still get 15-16mpg with a couple tons of feed on it and with a 16' trailer empty it gets 19+ all day long. I've not filled it up one time since I got it where the avg mpg was less than 24.8 and the average has been about 26 or a little better. My 5.3 got about 19-20 on average.
Posted By: Chopped54

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 01:16 PM

I have owned both the 3.0 Duramax and currently own the Ram Eco. On a dozen occasions my Denali would not start. I would push the start button and it would just turn over, never would fire. Known issue, apparently bent timing/cam tabs. Between this and the dated interior I traded for the Ram. Duramax does seem like the stronger of the two, and with the 10spd trans got better mileage, but between the reliability, ride quality, and better interior (even over the GM 2022 update), I like my Ram 100% over the GMC.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 01:20 PM

Anybody running a baby Powerstroke in 1/2 ton?
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 01:20 PM

IDK but I'm pretty much in the same boat and I'm waiting on my 1/2 ton 3.0 GMC to come in from order. I'm switching from the 6.6 diesel 3/4 ton. Not sure why you mention smaller bed - they are hard to get (one reason I ordered), but I'll have a 6.5' bed just like the 2500.

Good luck on your decision. I'm hoping it's the right one, but can't tell you right now.

And if anyone is looking for a 2017 2500HD Denali, customized nicely, with about 170K on it, then get in touch with me. smile
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 01:22 PM

We bought a Ram eco diesel a year ago in Phoenix. On the way home at 75 on the hwy we were getting 31 mpg and it was brand new. We average 25 mpg around town. We love the truck.

Red
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

I was told they aren't making them anymore from the salesman we bought my wifes last vehicle from.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chopped54
I have owned both the 3.0 Duramax and currently own the Ram Eco. On a dozen occasions my Denali would not start. I would push the start button and it would just turn over, never would fire. Known issue, apparently bent timing/cam tabs. Between this and the dated interior I traded for the Ram. Duramax does seem like the stronger of the two, and with the 10spd trans got better mileage, but between the reliability, ride quality, and better interior (even over the GM 2022 update), I like my Ram 100% over the GMC.

The two I’m looking at is the AT 4 GMC and the Ram Limited Longhorn.

I like the exterior look of the GM better but the Ram interior is awesome. I don’t care for the shift knob but but that’s really nit picky.

I owned a 15’, 16’ and 19’ Chevy 1500/Tahoe/Suburban and I honestly liked the trucks but had issues with every single one. Can’t say I’ve had many issues with my last 3 fords…even my half ton was tough as nails. I traded it with 176k on the ODO and it still drove like it was new

I’ve heard good things about the rams from everyone who has owned one
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 01:48 PM

I got the 6.2L gas, not the Duramax, but my prediction is more and more people will be switching from 3/4 tons to 1/2 ton diesels. I would not be surprised to see the 1/2 ton have as good of resale once they become more mainstream over the next few years. It seems many folks who drive a 3/4 ton don't really need them, and with diesel at close to $5 a gallon and not likely to drop any time soon it will make those trucks getting 14 mpg harder to drive compared to the 1/2 tons that get double that. JMO.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 02:09 PM

The Ram 1500 can tow 10,000 lbs. We got the limited and it has auto ride height on it. Which means it holds level with a load and lowers on the hwy to help mileage.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 02:30 PM

I’ve got one and love it. I agree that the duramax pulls harder and like the gm 10 speed over rams 8.

The power loss from the big diesel is going to be monumental difference. They do get good mileage, but if your going to up size the tires and drive 70+mph your not going to be anywhere near 30 mpg. With diesel at $5.30 a gal locally it’s 30-40% higher than gas and getting real turf to justify. I would go with a gas personally.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton
I got the 6.2L gas, not the Duramax, but my prediction is more and more people will be switching from 3/4 tons to 1/2 ton diesels. I would not be surprised to see the 1/2 ton have as good of resale once they become more mainstream over the next few years. It seems many folks who drive a 3/4 ton don't really need them, and with diesel at close to $5 a gallon and not likely to drop any time soon it will make those trucks getting 14 mpg harder to drive compared to the 1/2 tons that get double that. JMO.

I would think you would be right but for whatever reason they have not caught on here in the states like overseas.

For what I’m doing, it makes the most sense, get better mileage both loaded and unloaded, better ride, more maneuverable. Only reason I’m in a 3/4 ton now is resale because I swap trucks so often.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
I’ve got one and love it. I agree that the duramax pulls harder and like the gm 10 speed over rams 8.

The power loss from the big diesel is going to be monumental difference. They do get good mileage, but if your going to up size the tires and drive 70+mph your not going to be anywhere near 30 mpg. With diesel at $5.30 a gal locally it’s 30-40% higher than gas and getting real turf to justify. I would go with a gas personally.

Thought crossed my mind as well….but I’ll get at best 17-18 mpg with a gas truck and not be able to pull the loads near as comfortably. If I go back to gas I’ll get a Ford.

But you are right about me adding bigger tires and driving 75 everywhere I go. Stock tires and those sizes would only be a headache for me

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 02:54 PM

lmao

I'd bet that well over 50% of the folks driving the 3/4 ton diesels DON'T need them.
There are a bunch of wannbe cowboy rednecks around LaVernia TX that for sure don't need them. Hell, they all seem to drive them and all live in a subdivision and don't even own a lowboy trailer but man they got some big old trucks. lmao
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

lmao

I'd bet that well over 50% of the folks driving the 3/4 ton diesels DON'T need them.
There are a bunch of wannbe cowboy rednecks around LaVernia TX that for sure don't need them. Hell, they all seem to drive them and all live in a subdivision and don't even own a lowboy trailer but man they got some big old trucks. lmao

The air isn't going to haul it's self!

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 03:23 PM

lmao

Was agreeing with me that funny? grin

I was waiting for someone to chime in that everyone needs a 3/4 ton to haul a SxS. Lol

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I would think you would be right but for whatever reason they have not caught on here in the states like overseas.

For what I’m doing, it makes the most sense, get better mileage both loaded and unloaded, better ride, more maneuverable. Only reason I’m in a 3/4 ton now is resale because I swap trucks so often.

I think a few reasons for that....overseas, especially in many countries in Europe, fuel is a lot more expensive than what it is here. Also, I don't think many of them have the emissions regulations we do.

I could be wrong, but I think the 3/4 diesel market will slowly get smaller and smaller.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 04:01 PM

I've always found it interesting folks who deem what others should be driving. FWIW...I don't give AF what you think I should drive nor do I care what you drive.

I just read an article that says we are deep into our diesel reserve and by June we could see some places running out of it. Interesting, this was less than 24 hours after BigPig mentioned in passing that 3 or 4 different gas stations in Forney were out of diesel last evening.

I cannot imagine the additional 100hp the 3.5 ecoboost has wouldn't be noticed while towing and running around town, over the 3.0 Chebby. The fuel mileage numbers are impressive but if diesel stays 1.25 higher then that's all for nothing. I know for a fact it'll stomp a hole in a Dodge eco's donkey.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 04:57 PM

DEF sucks and is the weakest link of any new diesel. If there are supply chain issues with urea, our society will crumble.

On a brighter note there is a total solar eclipse with a super moon this weekend banana

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
I've always found it interesting folks who deem what others should be driving. FWIW...I don't give AF what you think I should drive nor do I care what you drive.

I just read an article that says we are deep into our diesel reserve and by June we could see some places running out of it. Interesting, this was less than 24 hours after BigPig mentioned in passing that 3 or 4 different gas stations in Forney were out of diesel last evening.

I cannot imagine the additional 100hp the 3.5 ecoboost has wouldn't be noticed while towing and running around town, over the 3.0 Chebby. The fuel mileage numbers are impressive but if diesel stays 1.25 higher then that's all for nothing. I know for a fact it'll stomp a hole in a Dodge eco's donkey.

Why so angry? lmao

I already stated the additional fuel economy in the diesel is basically a wash with the price of fuel.

I don't think anyone here said anything bad about the 3.5 eco boost anywhere.

I'd love to hook 4 or 5k lbs behind it and a 3.0 duramax and see which out performs the other both in pulling and in MPG.
I haven't read of anyone getting 19+ in the eco boost with a 16' lowboy running 80 down the highway but I guess maybe it is possible.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 05:41 PM

I'm very happy with my 5.0 Ford. Plenty of power and decent gas mileage. Only way I would by a diesel is in a 3/4 and only for pulling.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
I'm very happy with my 5.0 Ford. Plenty of power and decent gas mileage. Only way I would by a diesel is in a 3/4 and only for pulling.

The 5.0 coyote is a good engine

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 06:18 PM

My Travel Trailer was 9k lbs. i would have dreaded to tow that thing with a 1/2 ton.

Glad I got rid of it, but people who own TT’s more often than not need the power of the diesel in a HD platform
Posted By: Judd

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 06:49 PM

Why so angry? lmao

I already stated the additional fuel economy in the diesel is basically a wash with the price of fuel.

I'd love to hook 4 or 5k lbs behind it and a 3.0 duramax and see which out performs the other both in pulling and in MPG.
I haven't read of anyone getting 19+ in the eco boost with a 16' lowboy running 80 down the highway but I guess maybe it is possible.

Didn't mean to come off angry LOL! Well except the second sentence I guess. The comments about people having 3/4 tons and not needing them did get me and comments like that bug me across the board...like so and so doesn't need a hotrod, bassboat, etc etc etc. In general people need to mind their own business and worry about their own house. Until the person talking is assisting with bills for the other person, they shouldn't have any opinion in the matter...odds are the other person wants to drive that and can afford it, who am I (or anyone else) to say they shouldn't be driving that?

No one had mentioned the 3.5 ecoboost so I threw it out there...it will perform better than the Dodge and on paper (because I haven't driven one) the Chebby too, 100HP is a fair amount of difference with basically the same torque number. You're right the eco won't get 19+ with a trailer...more like 12-15 depending on how much those turbos are spinning. As we did both agree...mileage at the cost difference in diesel (not to mention maintenance) pretty much negates any of that.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 07:24 PM

Why so angry? lmao

Didn't mean to come off angry LOL! Well except the second sentence I guess. The comments about people having 3/4 tons and not needing them did get me and comments like that bug me across the board...like so and so doesn't need a hotrod, bassboat, etc etc etc. In general people need to mind their own business and worry about their own house. Until the person talking is assisting with bills for the other person, they shouldn't have any opinion in the matter...odds are the other person wants to drive that and can afford it, who am I (or anyone else) to say they shouldn't be driving that?

No one had mentioned the 3.5 ecoboost so I threw it out there...it will perform better than the Dodge and on paper (because I haven't driven one) the Chebby too, 100HP is a fair amount of difference with basically the same torque number. You're right the eco won't get 19+ with a trailer...more like 12-15 depending on how much those turbos are spinning. As we did both agree...mileage at the cost difference in diesel (not to mention maintenance) pretty much negates any of that.

I agree with you.
I've heard those little ecoboosts are workhorses for sure.

And on paper there is no doubt it does out perform both but we both know paper means nothing until the hitches are dropped onto the balls.
And I've pulled enough stuff over the years to know there is a big, big difference in diesel torque than gasoline torque so that is why I said I'd love to drive both with the exact same loads behind them just to see if the torque listed meets the ground like it does in the little diesel. I've pulled some pretty heavy loads with big gasoline engines (454 & 460s) and they certainly will pull but the big difference to me is when you get up to highway speed and that is where the diesel will win out every time in my experiences.

Of course a lot depends on where the torque band is with each one and that is one place where the little duramax may have that advantage because it is well into it's torque band at only 1600 rpms. I'm not sure where the 3.5L ecoboost has to be to be into it.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 07:25 PM

My Travel Trailer was 9k lbs. i would have dreaded to tow that thing with a 1/2 ton.

Glad I got rid of it, but people who own TT’s more often than not need the power of the diesel in a HD platform

Yup
Though some of the 1/2 tons are rated for that and more.....no thanks. I want at least a 3/4 ton with that much behind me. lol

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 08:01 PM

Why so angry? lmao

Nobody cares what you or anyone else wants or needs to drive. The point, which was clearly missed, was that quite a few folks who drive 3/4 tons, get 14 mpg, and pay $5 per gallon will quickly decide the 1/2 ton works just fine for their use, when they don't "need" the 3/4 ton for light duty work. Thus the entire point of this thread and several who have posted have agreed. You are confusing "needs" with "wants".
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 08:30 PM

I have a 2020 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel Crew 4x4. 37k, no issues at all, avg 23.6 mpg over it's life. Fantastic ride, great interior, pulls my 30' TT easily. Not much to hate about it. My son just bought a refreshed '22 GMC Crew 4x4 Duramax and it's a great improvement over the old style it replaced. Very nice all the way around. As it stand today I'll take a 1/2T diesel over any 1/2 T gas burner I've ever owned, and that would include all of them several times over.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
I have a 2020 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel Crew 4x4. 37k, no issues at all, avg 23.6 mpg over it's life. Fantastic ride, great interior, pulls my 30' TT easily. Not much to hate about it. My son just bought a refreshed '22 GMC Crew 4x4 Duramax and it's a great improvement over the old style it replaced. Very nice all the way around. As it stand today I'll take a 1/2T diesel over any 1/2 T gas burner I've ever owned, and that would include all of them several times over.

Jg, is your son's new one the one with the gear shift on the console and full electronic dash?

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 08:53 PM

This is great real world info.

If you had to buy today, would you go GMC or Ram?
Posted By: TLew

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 09:19 PM

I had a GMC 2500 before I got my RAM. RAM interior is night and day better than the GMC, and that was a Denali trim. Had the dealer do an enhanced PDI when it was delivered and they found some things to fix at that point, but otherwise I haven't had issues with the truck after a year and 14k miles

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 09:54 PM

Jg, is your son's new one the one with the gear shift on the console and full electronic dash?

Yessir it is. I really like the new interior a lot.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/09/22 09:57 PM

Well, I can't really say yet since I haven't driven his yet. I plan to do that when we go up to McKinney for his birthday in a couple of weeks. I do really love the idea of the straight six diesel though, even though my Ram has been perfect. FWIW I have he 3.92 rear end, I think his is a 3.23 and get a little better mileage. It is a very quiet ride like my Ram.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 12:42 AM

Gonna drive a diesel Rebel tomorrow.

I’m not 100% on board….AT4 is 9-12 months out. May go that route for my next truck.

Good thing is, I’m not stuck with a beater now and if I have to drive the Tremor for another year I could be much worse off
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 12:47 AM

If I had to go to a 1/2 ton

Tundra

Diesel 3/4 ton, Tundra or Tacoma

And that’s about it honestly

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 01:01 AM

I’m big into what’s proven

The Ford Ecoboost has little resale at 100k, about like a Ram 1500 w 100k

Even though the Ecoboost was the next big thing 10 years ago

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 01:03 AM

You’re gonna take a bath on them all at 100k

Might as well take a better one is my view

I was shocked at what my Tundra brought

And I went w a 3/4 ton Diesel to replace it

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 01:13 AM

I wouldn't touch a new Tundra for anything right now.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 01:16 AM

They are fugly!

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 01:23 AM

Thought crossed my mind as well….but I’ll get at best 17-18 mpg with a gas truck and not be able to pull the loads near as comfortably. If I go back to gas I’ll get a Ford.

But you are right about me adding bigger tires and driving 75 everywhere I go. Stock tires and those sizes would only be a headache for me

I like mine and it tows fine but it takes its time doing it. An ecoboost the new tundra turbo 6 and the ram inline turbo 6 if it makes it out will all best the mini me diesels towing ability in a big way! The torque numbers are similar but the gas options make way more hp. If diesel stays priced how it is compared to gas buying the diesel is a mistake.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05
I’m big into what’s proven

The Ford Ecoboost has little resale at 100k, about like a Ram 1500 w 100k

Even though the Ecoboost was the next big thing 10 years ago

What do you mean was the next big thing? It is the big thing, it’s fords top selling motor and ram and Toyota are copying it.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05
You’re gonna take a bath on them all at 100k

and I don't like taking baths. I sold my last diesel with 160k miles on it and got top dollar.

That's why I'm driving a 3/4 ton currently.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 02:19 AM

lmao

Man do I have a truck for you!!!!!

Lightly used, urban subdivision soccer dad truck!!!! Never seen a trailer or off-road!!

190k and shocks still have oil in them, it’s still wet at the bottom!!(note that mud is from when they re-soded the yard and it rained) it’s never actually seen dirt with out concrete.

[Linked Image]

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 02:30 AM

They are fugly!

That, and this.....stolen from another forum:
"I'm on a few Tundra pages, including one for the 2022 model. Lots of stories from New Tundra owners whose trucks are sitting at dealers for weeks due to problems. Rear axle shaft that slid out, front Strut assembly failure, and plenty of turbo issues. Then there are common complaints about wind noise around windows, squeaking dashes and consoles, seat belt alarms, leaking roofs, etc.

It's bad enough that a popular truck and suv youtuber suggested 2 months ago that the 2022 might be a flop. Oh, and MPG isn't all that much improved."

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 03:33 AM

Ford dropped those and went all electric. Great move on their part, they’ll cater to the woke feminine crowd.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig

Ford dropped those and went all electric. Great move on their part, they’ll cater to the woke feminine crowd.

Fitting IMHO
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 10:46 AM

Lmao
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 11:26 AM

Dad pulls a 12K trailer with a 6.2L gas 1500 GMC and is not overweight. A diesel costs 3X to maintain and 5X to repair when broken. For those that trade every couple of years, go for it. If you plan on taking one to 250K miles, I'd wait and see how they do. Never heard of the "known timing tab issue" but up here in the country, only salespeople buy half ton diesels.

All brands have issues. Pick the brand you like best and go for it...just buy a gas truck.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Dad pulls a 12K trailer with a 6.2L gas 1500 GMC and is not overweight. A diesel costs 3X to maintain and 5X to repair when broken. For those that trade every couple of years, go for it. If you plan on taking one to 250K miles, I'd wait and see how they do. Never heard of the "known timing tab issue" but up here in the country, only salespeople buy half ton diesels.

All brands have issues. Pick the brand you like best and go for it...just buy a gas truck.

It may not be overweight, but I guarantee you that 6.2 struggles with it on hills when at highway speed.

And where are you getting the 3x to maintain and 5x to repair from? I'm not buying that one bit.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 12:36 PM

It may not be overweight, but I guarantee you that 6.2 struggles with it on hills when at highway speed.

And where are you getting the 3x to maintain and 5x to repair from? I'm not buying that one bit.

It's a wildassss guess, just like all of them from those who don't own or have never driven a 1/2T diesel.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 12:43 PM

Bunch of women playing bridge in here grin
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 12:45 PM

I can’t operate without big diesels but if the shoe fits wear it, it’s not rocket science so don’t over complicate it.

Resale value won’t be close to a 3/4 ton or larger since your talking about a mini me truck but I can’t see the harm in going with a half ton truck if that will fit your needs. If your paying the expense of operating a diesel then personally I can’t see any advantages of buying a half ton truck and the downsides far outweigh the positives of going with a 3/4 ton or bigger, resale value alone should make it a win win but I’m just a stupid redneck with to many trucks so don’t listen to me rofl

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 12:47 PM

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2021/08...n-long-crank-start-issues-but-no-recall/

33 pages of it - https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads/3-0-duramax-won%E2%80%99t-fire.1013511/

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/253360-30-duramax-with-crank-no-start/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gmcsierra/...rank_no_start_issue_at_the_dealer_for_a/

https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/starting-question-3-0-duramax.987855/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDHlBbrXf0&ab_channel=PickupTruckPlusSUVTalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paM2QDBbhYI&ab_channel=Rich%27sGarage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVzHG4kP1oA

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 12:54 PM

roflmao

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 01:04 PM

Regular unleaded $3.89/gal
Diesel $5.30/gal
If you don’t get a higher % more miles to a gallon than % more diesel costs per gallon than gas your loosing. Who knows what resale will be.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 01:22 PM

Diesel $5.30/gal
If you don’t get a higher % more miles to a gallon than % more diesel costs per gallon than gas your loosing. Who knows what resale will be.

I know, after 38 years of owning them I can say for 100% certainty the diesel will hold it’s value and the gasser will be worth turd soup.If your seriously debating that theory your not so smart. Some of you guys act like this chit hasn’t ever happened before rofl, it’s a cycle and it will happen again and again. Fuel prices get high and a certain group will crap thr pants questioning thr life decisions and wanting to buy a fuel economy truck roflmao It takes all types to make the world go round n round but this group makes me question the maturity of people in this country… Some people seem to walk around with blinders on and never look up to see what’s actually going on..
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 01:47 PM

Almost on topic. I sold my programmed 7.3 two years ago and bought a new 3.5 ecoboost. I miss the 7.3…BUT, that ecoboost will pull great. The 10 speed keeps it where it needs to be. Expect 12 mpg towing anything over #5000. At the end of the day it’s a soft truck with plenty of power. If they could figure out how to put that motor in a F250 I think they would have a win.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I can’t operate without big diesels but if the shoe fits wear it, it’s not rocket science so don’t over complicate it.

Resale value won’t be close to a 3/4 ton or larger since your talking about a mini me truck but I can’t see the harm in going with a half ton truck if that will fit your needs. If your paying the expense of operating a diesel then personally I can’t see any advantages of buying a half ton truck and the downsides far outweigh the positives of going with a 3/4 ton or bigger, resale value alone should make it a win win but I’m just a stupid redneck with to many trucks so don’t listen to me rofl

I'm not all that sure about this statement (bolded above).
I bought a 1999 F250 PS 4x4 CC with 89k miles in 2002 for 22,500. I bought a 2005 chevy 2500 duramax 4x4 CC in 2008 with 34k miles on it for $25,500.
I bought a 2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 CC with 5.3 new for $34,500 +ttl and traded it in last year with almost 90k miles on it and got $31.5k trade in. I'd say that half ton held it's value every bit as good as either 3/4 ton I've bought and or sold.

Half tons loaded up to the max are $60k or so, 3/4 tons are $85k so from day 1 you are into the bigger truck for at least 25% more. Shouldn't it bring 25% more used than the 1/2 tons?

My only point is that I'm seeing 3 and 4 year old 1/2 tons selling for damn near what they sold for new right now so to me that means they are holding their value pretty damn well.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 02:37 PM

You can’t use today’s current issues for the long term returns, I get what your saying but the current issue is more of a supply and demand verses an actual market valuation. If things were locked into this issue then I’d 100% agree with you but the market will equalize at some point and a half ton will be worth what it’s worth again. Long term overall a 3/4 ton will hold it’s value well above what a 1/2 ton will hold.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 03:11 PM

It might roll downhill at 30mph but he isn’t cruising 75 with that load.

I suspect there might be a wee bit of embellishments about here

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 03:14 PM

You can’t use today’s current issues for the long term returns, I get what your saying but the current issue is more of a supply and demand verses an actual market valuation. If things were locked into this issue then I’d 100% agree with you but the market will equalize at some point and a half ton will be worth what it’s worth again. Long term overall a 3/4 ton will hold it’s value well above what a 1/2 ton will hold.

I completely agree the market is absolutely nuts right now and nothing can be judged from it at all.

I just don't see the big difference in resale value percentage wise at all and never did. The 2 used 3/4 ton diesels I purchased were both 50% or less than original sticker price and were in great shape. Hell, the duramax wasn't even broke in yet and was under 50% of the sticker which was in the glove box when I bought it.

Heck, in 2018 before all this mess started I bought my new 1500 silverado z71 for only a couple thousand more than what they were selling the same trucks 2 years old for that had 30k miles on them.
That is why I think the 1/2 ton resale market percentage wise is on par with the big truck.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 03:28 PM

Maybe so, I’ve lost my butt on the last 4 half tons I bought attempting to save money on so I gave up. I thought I could save money by buying something cheaper to run around the place in and everyone was a looser so we strictly go with 3/4 ton diesels or bigger now. It’s possible if your in a larger metro area the half tons may work better for resale but not around here.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 03:34 PM

Maybe so, I’ve lost my butt on the last 4 half tons I bought attempting to save money on so I gave up. I thought I could save money by buying something cheaper to run around the place in and everyone was a looser so we strictly go with 3/4 ton diesels or bigger now. It’s possible if your in a larger metro area the half tons may work better for resale but not around here.

That may be it I guess.
No doubt the 3/4 tons are built to take way, way more abuse and heavy lifting.

I know the 99 F250 was a damn good truck and I've already made it know to my old neighbor if he decides to sell it I get first dibs on it! lol The only thing I did not enjoy about that truck was the ride once you left the blacktop onto a ranch road. Holy crap! Even with some steel I left in the back for a little weight it would still make you piss blood for a month after driving in rough country. lmao

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 03:39 PM

That may be it I guess.

I know the 99 F250 was a damn good truck and I've already made it know to my old neighbor if he decides to sell it I get first dibs on it! lol The only thing I did not enjoy about that truck was the ride once you left the blacktop onto a ranch road. Holy crap! Even with some steel I left in the back for a little weight it would still make you piss blood for a month after driving in rough country. lmao

LOL, I have my dads 99 F250 with 28,000 miles on it and I’d agree they it ride like turd soup. I drive it down the road every few months to keep it going and I’d say it rides rougher than my 5500’s without hesitation.
Posted By: don k

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 03:45 PM

On Kelly blue book. A 2019 ram 1500 with 150000 miles on it gas brings about $2900 less than the same truck with the diesel. But the diesel costs $2200 more. So you are only getting $700 more for the diesel. So to me the argument of buying the diesel to get more trade in does not really make much sense especially with the cost of diesel and the extra DEF and oil and filter changes.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by don k
On Kelly blue book. A 2019 ram 1500 with 150000 miles on it gas brings about $2900 less than the same truck with the diesel. But the diesel costs $2200 more. So you are only getting $700 more for the diesel. So to me the argument of buying the diesel to get more trade in does not really make much sense especially with the cost of diesel and the extra DEF and oil and filter changes.

This. ^^^^^^^^

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by don k

I must have missed the argument on here about the resale on the little diesels being that much better than the ecoboost or the other 1/2 ton gas engines because I didn't see that as being one of the factors.

I think that people are buying them so that they have a half ton that will pull better and get better mpgs. I know I don't mind being able to fill up 25 gallons and going on a trip and not having to stop for fuel for at least 650 miles and if you keep it at around 80 mine will easily go 700 miles on that tank of fuel.

The 3.0 duramax holds .5 quart less oil than the 5.3L gas.
If you do it yourself it actually cost less to change the oil in the 3.0 than the 5.3. Look up the oil change kits for both engines and you will see it is less for the little diesel than the 5.3 gas.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 04:07 PM

That may be it I guess.

LOL, I have my dads 99 F250 with 28,000 miles on it and I’d agree they it ride like turd soup. I drive it down the road every few months to keep it going and I’d say it rides rougher than my 5500’s without hesitation.

But damn they are good trucks. I loved mine for sure and it was an absolute workhorse. I especially liked that it didn't matter if it was 50 degrees and I was running down the highway or if it was 100 and I had a gooseneck loaded down with hay in the field, IT ALWAYS ran the same temp.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 04:51 PM

Drove the Ram 3.0 diesel.

Liked it better than I wanted to, the Laramie was nicely appointed and I dare say a touch nicer than my 21’ Lariat.

As expected, it didn’t have the raw power of the 6.7 power stroke but had plenty of pep. Ride was 100x better than the diesel.

Will drive the AT4 next to compare then make a decision on whether to trade or stay in the super duty for another year or two

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 05:20 PM

Liked it better than I wanted to, the Laramie was nicely appointed and I dare say a touch nicer than my 21’ Lariat.

As expected, it didn’t have the raw power of the 6.7 power stroke but had plenty of pep. Ride was 100x better than the diesel.

Will drive the AT4 next to compare then make a decision on whether to trade or stay in the super duty for another year or two

hahaha
Yeah, that 6.7 is flat out NASTY! 475 HP & almost 1100 lbs of torque. eek2
I cannot see any reason to alter one in any way. What need would there be?
My cousin said he is getting over 20 mpg with his brand new one. Incredible!

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/10/22 10:14 PM

hahaha
Yeah, that 6.7 is flat out NASTY! 475 HP & almost 1100 lbs of torque. eek2
I cannot see any reason to alter one in any way. What need would there be?
My cousin said he is getting over 20 mpg with his brand new one. Incredible!

I had a 02’ 7.3 liter that was chipped up….it had something like 350 hp and 650 ft. Lbs of torque….at the time it was a fairly stout truck. This truck blows that one out of the water. This one and my 17’ super duty are the only two trucks I’ve owned that I’m perfectly happy with in stock form performance wise. I remember those trucks required a 6” lift to run 35’s too….glad those days are over.

If I do trade out I’m gonna have to add leveling kit, wheels/tires ( I think the AT/4 comes with these items) and front end replacement because bump gates and unprotected front ends don’t mix. I’m the end I might decide it’s too much hassle and keep this truck for another year or two.

Best mileage I’ve got was 22 mpg doing 80 in July headed to Louisiana. But I normally see 18-20mpg on the highway. If I drive it right 20-21 mpg is realistic with 35” tires, level kit and replacement bumpers.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/11/22 01:08 AM

Diesel $5.30/gal

I know, after 38 years of owning them I can say for 100% certainty the diesel will hold it’s value and the gasser will be worth turd soup.If your seriously debating that theory your not so smart. Some of you guys act like this chit hasn’t ever happened before rofl, it’s a cycle and it will happen again and again. Fuel prices get high and a certain group will crap thr pants questioning thr life decisions and wanting to buy a fuel economy truck roflmao It takes all types to make the world go round n round but this group makes me question the maturity of people in this country… Some people seem to walk around with blinders on and never look up to see what’s actually going on..

In 1984 I wasn’t even a glimmer in my mommas eye, but I don’t recall the diesels of that era having anywhere near the presence they do now. Different strokes I guess. I’m not rushing to sell mine because diesel is going up but with prices what they are I probably wouldn’t buy one now. If I needed to tow 25000 lbs sure I’d go diesel all the way but that’s nothing to do with the topic.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/11/22 01:41 AM

Diesel $5.30/gal

In 1984 I wasn’t even a glimmer in my mommas eye, but I don’t recall the diesels of that era having anywhere near the presence they do now. Different strokes I guess. I’m not rushing to sell mine because diesel is going up but with prices what they are I probably wouldn’t buy one now. If I needed to tow 25000 lbs sure I’d go diesel all the way but that’s nothing to do with the topic.

In 1984 diesels didn't have Turbo Chargers, they were more like an alternate fuel vehicle in that era built for economy....and they had real good mileage compared to gas rigs of the day, but man, Nothing worse on the planet than a naturally aspirated diesel in terms of power.. The worst two I've ever been in where both 6.2 Chevy trucks....my daughters tricycle has more power than those turds.

Interesting to note, that the above mentioned was offered in both 1/2 ton and 3/4-1 Ton models, and despite the extreme lack of power, were rated for 23mpg combined and 30 mpg on the Highway....pretty good in that regard.

I had family that were buying the Ford Diesels in the late 80's and early to mid 90's and on 2wd models the best they would get was around 20 mpg IIRC, but they were Turbo Models.

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/11/22 02:16 PM

I'm surprised no one has offered a 'light' diesel in the 3/4-tons yet. A 4.5-5L diesel making 325/650 would still move pretty darned well and get even better mileage than the 6.6/6.7s. I know Nissan tried it but they ended up with a dog for some reason.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/11/22 02:30 PM

There were diesels offered in GM cars in the late ‘70’s-early ‘80’s. Alternative fuel for lead sled cars, when gas hit $1 a gallon.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/11/22 02:38 PM

There were diesels offered in GM cars in the late ‘70’s-early ‘80’s. Alternative fuel for lead sled cars, when gas hit $1 a gallon.

They were concerted gas engines and were a spectacular failure.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/11/22 03:00 PM

They were concerted gas engines and were a spectacular failure.

Yes they were!

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/11/22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I'm surprised no one has offered a 'light' diesel in the 3/4-tons yet. A 4.5-5L diesel making 325/650 would still move pretty darned well and get even better mileage than the 6.6/6.7s. I know Nissan tried it but they ended up with a dog for some reason.

I wonder if they put that in a truck besides the Nissan if it would have been a seller?

Wouldn’t be a bad idea, to have a 2nd diesel option, but if it would sell I don’t know. Would be interested if the mileage would justify its existence ?

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/11/22 05:05 PM

I had a 02’ 7.3 liter that was chipped up….it had something like 350 hp and 650 ft. Lbs of torque….at the time it was a fairly stout truck. This truck blows that one out of the water. This one and my 17’ super duty are the only two trucks I’ve owned that I’m perfectly happy with in stock form performance wise. I remember those trucks required a 6” lift to run 35’s too….glad those days are over.

If I do trade out I’m gonna have to add leveling kit, wheels/tires ( I think the AT/4 comes with these items) and front end replacement because bump gates and unprotected front ends don’t mix. I’m the end I might decide it’s too much hassle and keep this truck for another year or two.

Best mileage I’ve got was 22 mpg doing 80 in July headed to Louisiana. But I normally see 18-20mpg on the highway. If I drive it right 20-21 mpg is realistic with 35” tires, level kit and replacement bumpers.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that fuel economy with a truck like that with so much power!

And I had my 7.3 chipped up quite a bit as well and it might have had 50% of what that new Powerstroke is putting out torque wise. It is just amazing to me and if I was going to trade my 2005 duramax off right now I'm pretty certain I'd go with another F250 4x4 CC. Hell, my cousin ordered his in XLT and upgraded a few things and he got it for not much more than a new 1/2 ton cost right now! I believe he told me $64k plus tt&l

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/11/22 07:06 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that fuel economy with a truck like that with so much power!

And I had my 7.3 chipped up quite a bit as well and it might have had 50% of what that new Powerstroke is putting out torque wise. It is just amazing to me and if I was going to trade my 2005 duramax off right now I'm pretty certain I'd go with another F250 4x4 CC. Hell, my cousin ordered his in XLT and upgraded a few things and he got it for not much more than a new 1/2 ton cost right now! I believe he told me $64k plus tt&l

Decided to keep the F-250 for now and will drive a AT4 to see if I want to order one as a replacement for next year as they are 12 months out. Can’t say I won’t trade to a half ton next go around but too many hassles getting into and equipping a new truck right now when I have one ideally set up in the driveway.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/11/22 08:13 PM

Shows what I know, I didn’t even know they made half ton diesels. hammer

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/12/22 12:59 PM

I Hooked on to my little 16' lowboy this morning and pulled it into work so I could go pick up by SxS that had maintenance done to it.
I tripped it at the gate and when I got to New Braunfels I checked and it was a little over 35 miles and it read 21.8mpg.

Mine turned 10k miles yesterday and up to now I'd damn impressed with it's performance and would not go back to a gas half ton at this time.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/24/22 01:34 PM

Update….had to go grab my tractor yesterday and haul it a couple hours down the road to clean out a trash pit.

With the loader and box blade the tractor was a little heavier than I was comfortable putting on my 16” pipe trailer, so I borrowed a buddies 20’ dovetail car hauler.

Tractor and trailer was right around 10k give or take a few hundred lbs and man it was nice hauling it down I-10 at 75 mph.

Sure would have hated to do it with a 1/2 ton

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/24/22 02:04 PM

Update….had to go grab my tractor yesterday and haul it a couple hours down the road to clean out a trash pit.

With the loader and box blade the tractor was a little heavier than I was comfortable putting on my 16” pipe trailer, so I borrowed a buddies 20’ dovetail car hauler.

Tractor and trailer was right around 10k give or take a few hundred lbs and man it was nice hauling it down I-10 at 75 mph.

LOL

I agree.
though they have the 3.0l rated for over 13k lbs I think you'd have to have few head worms to think that is what should be putting behind it.

Kinda like they tell people you can put a 15' batwing behind a 60hp tractor! Yeah, you can damn sure pull that shredder but you damn sure aren't getting out of 1st or 2nd in low range if you want to cut thick stuff with it. lmao

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/24/22 02:08 PM

LOL

I agree.
though they have the 3.0l rated for over 13k lbs I think you'd have to have few head worms to think that is what should be putting behind it.

Kinda like they tell people you can put a 15' batwing behind a 60hp tractor! Yeah, you can damn sure pull that shredder but you damn sure aren't getting out of 1st or 2nd in low range if you want to cut thick stuff with it. lmao

13k lbs maybe in a controlled environment on a completely level surface doing 55 mph…..I was pulling it up and down the hills comming out of Kerrville. Would have thrown a 1/2 ton all over the road.

I towed a bobcat skid loader and trailer once with my old 99’ F-150 with the 5.4. Wouldn’t go much over 45-50 Mph even on pretty flat country. They rig was probably pushing 10k there
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/24/22 03:41 PM

LOL

I agree.

13k lbs maybe in a controlled environment on a completely level surface doing 55 mph…..I was pulling it up and down the hills comming out of Kerrville. Would have thrown a 1/2 ton all over the road.

I towed a bobcat skid loader and trailer once with my old 99’ F-150 with the 5.4. Wouldn’t go much over 45-50 Mph even on pretty flat country. They rig was probably pushing 10k there

F250 on car haulers not even 13k.

I watch a buddy try to haul a 9klb skid steer w/ a 1/2 ton Chevy and it was all that Chevy could do from a suspension standpoint. I made him trade trucks with me, so he didn’t kill him self

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/24/22 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

LOL

I agree.

F250 on car haulers not even 13k.

I watch a buddy try to haul a 9klb skid steer w/ a 1/2 ton Chevy and it was all that Chevy could do from a suspension standpoint. I made him trade trucks with me, so he didn’t kill him self

Yup

Especially with today's 1/2 tons. The suspension is not nearly what it used to be because they are built for ride and comfort, not loads.
I just put air suspension under mine last week and will update when I go get range cubes later this week. I will put 30 bags again on it and put a little air in the bags and see what it does. I know without it before those 30 bags made my azz cheeks pucker a little on the 50+ mile ride home. lmao

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/24/22 06:31 PM

Good call on the airbags. I added them to my Ram Ecodiesel and love 'em.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/24/22 08:29 PM

ILBB… be careful with using aftermarket airbags. I’ve been seeing numerous reports of the frame behind the axle folding due to the added stress of the air bags. Not necessarily that the load is overweight for the truck, but the airbags essentially creating a single point of high stress.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/24/22 10:09 PM

ILBB… be careful with using aftermarket airbags. I’ve been seeing numerous reports of the frame behind the axle folding due to the added stress of the air bags. Not necessarily that the load is overweight for the truck, but the airbags essentially creating a single point of high stress.

Makes sense

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/24/22 10:41 PM

Was this with frame mounted air bag systems or in the coil systems?

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread - 05/25/22 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chopped54

Was this with frame mounted air bag systems or in the coil systems?

That was my question as well.
Mine are inside the spring coils
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum