Forums46
Topics538,018
Posts9,731,880
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: jeepercreeper] #8588811 05/01/22 01:29 PM
H
HicksHunter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by jeepercreeper
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by HicksHunter
Ah, I must have skipped over that. My larger point still stands that these kinds of things don't just happen without something pulling the trigger. It's still negligence on the officer's part to let something in the holster that would pull the trigger.

You’re wrong here and skipped over an important detail. If it was negligence on end user’s part there wouldnt be lawsuits coming in.

I’m sure she didn’t have a coat string or anything get caught in the holster and trigger. It happens. But sure, blame the gun.

So if my old Remington X Mark trigger goes off and does harm, I have to blame myself and cant blame the gun? Sorry, just trying to understand when its ok to blame a faulty product with history/pattern of problems vs my coat string.

Let's be clear- there are different failure modes. Some guns can go off accidentally without normal inputs from the shooter. The Remington triggers you mention are in this group, and so are things like a 1911 without a firing pin block doubling or tripling after a dangerous trigger job. Most striker guns, p320 included, are not susceptible to this kind of failure because of redundant safeties like a firing pin block. The sear might fail, but the firing pin block will keep it from going off until the trigger is pulled.

The P320 does not have a documented history of the guns firing while sitting in a holster. They did have an issue of firing when dropped at a very specific angle onto a hard surface (and was long ago remedied for new production pistols), but this is unrelated to the incident in question.

Last edited by HicksHunter; 05/01/22 01:31 PM.
Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: ChadTRG42] #8588906 05/01/22 03:16 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I believe in the case of the lady cop she is on tape walking along and the gun discharges in her holster with nothing touching it. That is the downside of having a pre-cocked striker vs one that only has energy put into the striker spring as the trigger gets pulled like a Glock does.

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: HicksHunter] #8588948 05/01/22 04:38 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

You’re wrong here and skipped over an important detail. If it was negligence on end user’s part there wouldnt be lawsuits coming in.

I’m sure she didn’t have a coat string or anything get caught in the holster and trigger. It happens. But sure, blame the gun.

So if my old Remington X Mark trigger goes off and does harm, I have to blame myself and cant blame the gun? Sorry, just trying to understand when its ok to blame a faulty product with history/pattern of problems vs my coat string.

Let's be clear- there are different failure modes. Some guns can go off accidentally without normal inputs from the shooter. The Remington triggers you mention are in this group, and so are things like a 1911 without a firing pin block doubling or tripling after a dangerous trigger job. Most striker guns, p320 included, are not susceptible to this kind of failure because of redundant safeties like a firing pin block. The sear might fail, but the firing pin block will keep it from going off until the trigger is pulled.

The P320 does not have a documented history of the guns firing while sitting in a holster. They did have an issue of firing when dropped at a very specific angle onto a hard surface (and was long ago remedied for new production pistols), but this is unrelated to the incident in question.

Comprehension and common sense is hard for some people

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: HicksHunter] #8588954 05/01/22 04:52 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

It does now. grin

Now they just need to figure out why it went off in the holster. If it was from something in the holster causing the trigger to be pulled, I hope they figure that out quickly because SIg shouldn't have to pay a penny or waste a minute of their time if that's the case.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: ChadTRG42] #8588983 05/01/22 06:06 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Cant recall how many times in my life Ive heard ppl say that something is impossible, then it happens. Heck, just in the past 2yrs Ive seen people die on their sword saying something could/would never happen, and it they happened - common sense and comprehension out the window. The old saying still applies, there are only 2 certainties in our life….

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: ChadTRG42] #8589060 05/01/22 08:45 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Anything made can be made incorrectly and anything made can break. That Sig acknowledged there’s a problem is very telling.

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: ntxtrapper] #8589091 05/01/22 09:22 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Anything made can be made incorrectly and anything made can break. That Sig acknowledged there’s a problem is very telling.

So it’s only reported happening in 2 departments in the same state. Lots of departments use/used them. Only time I know of Sig stating there is an issue is when they are dropped and land in that perfect spot. There’s been a lot of documentation over the years of officers having an AD from a foreign object getting in the trigger guard while being holstered.

I’d like to here the outcome and what Sig funds wrong with the gun.

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: BigPig] #8589166 05/01/22 10:57 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My bet is foreign object in the holster. Walking made said object depress the trigger.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: BigPig] #8589182 05/01/22 11:20 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

So it’s only reported happening in 2 departments in the same state. Lots of departments use/used them. Only time I know of Sig stating there is an issue is when they are dropped and land in that perfect spot. There’s been a lot of documentation over the years of officers having an AD from a foreign object getting in the trigger guard while being holstered.

54 incidents across the country so far. I think this is the tenth lawsuit so far.

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: ChadTRG42] #8589201 05/01/22 11:50 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm a big fan of Sig pistols, but I think everyone has to acknowledge two basic facts:

1. The P320 line isn't the same as the P226, P229, etc., and
2. Regardless of theory or design, just about anything is possible under the right circumstances.

There isn't enough information out yet regarding the details to be sure about what did or didn't happen. At this point, if you're solidly on one side of the line or the other you're likely a Sig fanboy or a Sig hater.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: ChadTRG42] #8589244 05/02/22 12:56 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Checked my SN online and was manufactured 12-21 and has the mod for the drop discharge issue. So I'm good to go.

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: ChadTRG42] #8589249 05/02/22 01:01 AM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Well years ago Glock was looking at similar issue was deemed a holster issue not a gun issue most agencies don’t allow the brand of holster any more for duty

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: Grizz] #8589295 05/02/22 01:53 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Grizz

1. The P320 line isn't the same as the P226, P229, etc

Man that is the truth

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: BigPig] #8589451 05/02/22 01:03 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

My bet is it's the holster the dept is using. Second option would be they somehow got a bad batch of weapons, since they probably received a group that was mfg together.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: Grizz] #8589452 05/02/22 01:06 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Why is it that officers who shoot themselves always blame the gun? First it happened with Glocks, and now it's happening with the P320. Simply put, striker guns won't fire without the trigger being pulled because of a firing pin safety. The P320 had the flaw of firing when dropped at a specific angle, but the upgraded guns are just like any other striker gun now. I think that the physical safeties and double action triggers just masked the poor trigger discipline for people- the real issue here. I suppose there's the possibility of debris in the holster, or a poor leather holster that caught the trigger as she was inserting the gun, but my money's on her finger pulling that trigger.

The article says there is surveillance video of the gun going off in her holster without being touched.

Like to see that video.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: Grizz] #8589499 05/02/22 02:04 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
There isn't enough information out yet regarding the details to be sure about what did or didn't happen. At this point, if you're solidly on one side of the line or the other you're likely a Sig fanboy or a Sig hater.

Grizz has the wisdom not to assume and then immediately form and state an opinion. In my opinion, if you're solidly on one side of the line or the other already, you're a fool. I hope I never stand before a jury of my peers, seems too many have a predetermined decision.

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: ChadTRG42] #8589509 05/02/22 02:08 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
That's what happened when you don't carry a 1911.

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: Dave Scott] #8589522 05/02/22 02:26 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
That's what happened when you don't carry a 1911.

You won the internet today cheers

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: garyrapp55] #8589575 05/02/22 03:35 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by garyrapp55

Grizz has the wisdom not to assume and then immediately form and state an opinion. In my opinion, if you're solidly on one side of the line or the other already, you're a fool. I hope I never stand before a jury of my peers, seems too many have a predetermined decision.

This is absolutely correct. If you've already made up your mind about who or what is at fault here, you are making a mistake.

Re: Second Somerville police officer sues gunmaker Sig Sauer in federal court [Re: Grizz] #8589889 05/03/22 02:13 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P

The P320 does not have a documented history of the guns firing while sitting in a holster.

It does now. grin

Yep

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide