Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: fadetoblack64] #8561220 03/21/22 03:10 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’m not sure how well that plans going to work out for them long term since a large portion of a dealerships income has traditionally come from the parts and service departments. Selling fewer cars means less warranty and repair work coming in along with less demand for parts long term. I’m betting they live to regret this decision before it’s all said and done and the mechanics are going to take a hit as well.

Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: Ol Thumper] #8561403 03/21/22 07:26 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I’m not sure how well that plans going to work out for them long term since a large portion of a dealerships income has traditionally come from the parts and service departments. Selling fewer cars means less warranty and repair work coming in along with less demand for parts long term. I’m betting they live to regret this decision before it’s all said and done and the mechanics are going to take a hit as well.

I disagree in that if they keep their present car longer it will require more work to keep it up and running.

Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: fadetoblack64] #8561476 03/21/22 09:24 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
It kills me that I can go to any manufacturers website and “build” a car, but I can’t hit a button that says order it. All I can do is build it and then search locally for something close or even worse, I don’t get to search and I have to send my info to a sales person so they can call me.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: Tbar] #8565014 03/26/22 01:38 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Tbar
My son is a loan officer at a S&L Credit Union and deals with the scum of the earth car dealers jacking up prices(over list) on people and calling to get loans. He just got the ok from his bosses not to coddle this unethical behavior and to deny the loans. They can just take their business elsewhere.

Well, when the rubber met the road and dealers started calling complaining they were being turned down for loans his bosses caved. He is now having a severe case of conscience. He doesn't want to be a part of the dealer theft against the car-buying public and wants to quit the job he has had for 12 years. He described to me the criminal/sleazy/fraudulent/document tampering/bad business practices of some dealers that puts John Q Public in a bad spot. I told him if he has to leave make sure to find a job to go to before he leaves this one.

Make America Great Again

Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: Tbar] #8565016 03/26/22 01:39 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
My son is a loan officer at a S&L Credit Union and deals with the scum of the earth car dealers jacking up prices(over list) on people and calling to get loans. He just got the ok from his bosses not to coddle this unethical behavior and to deny the loans. They can just take their business elsewhere.

Well, when the rubber met the road and dealers started calling complaining they were being turned down for loans his bosses caved. He is now having a severe case of conscience. He doesn't want to be a part of the dealer theft against the car-buying public and wants to quit the job he has had for 12 years. He described to me the criminal/sleazy/fraudulent/document tampering/bad business practices of some dealers that puts John Q Public in a bad spot. I told him if he has to leave make sure to find a job to go to before he leaves this one.

Tell him to suck it up and make the loans. It isn’t his money, he isn’t buying the car, it is his job.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8565612 03/27/22 02:46 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
It will be interesting to watch. By not having a lot full of vehicles, they're going to slow demand. Yes, they'll make more per unit but on fewer units. Paying 20-30% more for a vehicle will have people keeping them longer and repairing versus replacing. Eventually people will begin to understand what a worthless proposition it is to own a depreciating asset. They need to be careful that they don't quell their own industry.

Exactly right. Also dealership repairs are a ripoff too. I was quoted $450 to replace a $56 part that I bought from O'Reilly's and replaced in 15 minutes. Thank you YouTube.

Bobby Barnett

Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: bobcat1] #8565677 03/27/22 04:41 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bobcat1

Exactly right. Also dealership repairs are a ripoff too. I was quoted $450 to replace a $56 part that I bought from O'Reilly's and replaced in 15 minutes. Thank you YouTube.

YouTube is great for this. Did the same a month ago.

My Son’s teammate’s dad is the sales manager at the ford dealership in Rockwall. I asked him about it this morning and he said he doesn’t see them going back to keeping large inventory again. Said it takes about 2 months to get a new f150 ordered just like you want. The f250’s are much longer though

Last edited by Greg; 03/27/22 04:42 PM.
Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: bobcat1] #8565683 03/27/22 04:47 PM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Apples to oranges. O'Riley's doesn't have any technicians with more education than an average school teacher nor do they have the same parts. Many times the auto manufacturer only makes an assembly available whereas the aftermarket makes separate parts for each sub-assembly. That should not at all reflect on the dealer. That is the manufacturer's fault AGAIN.

Pass the gravy.

Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: GasGuzzler] #8565694 03/27/22 04:58 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

Apples to oranges. O'Riley's doesn't have any technicians with more education than an average school teacher nor do they have the same parts. Many times the auto manufacturer only makes an assembly available whereas the aftermarket makes separate parts for each sub-assembly. That should not at all reflect on the dealer. That is the manufacturer's fault AGAIN.

A few years ago I took my daughters car to a dealer. It was loosing power and had a slight miss. I left it there and the next day I was called about what it needed to be fixed. They said it needed a complete tune up, catalytic converter, and a new torque converter. Close to $3K. I went there and paid for the scan and took it home. Put in new spark plugs and knocked the guts out of the Cat and it ran loke a new one for the 3 years. Less than $15 spent as opposed to the $3K

Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: fadetoblack64] #8565695 03/27/22 05:01 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
About 2 years ago my my wifes uncle was having issues w his 2015/2016 Ford diesel w around 100k miles

This is a major dealer too.... they said he needed a whole new DEF system and quoted $6500

Concerned he went to see a close friend about the problem who is pretty handy at everything

The friend changed out a relay for $100 and its been running fine ever since

Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: fadetoblack64] #8565760 03/27/22 06:41 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Seems that there are a lot of dealership auto repair horror stories. I do most of my own repairs, even advanced ones. But one day my old Ford truck died going down the highway. There was an exit ramp and Ford dealership on the service road right at the end of that exit ramp. I was able to coast into the entrance to the dealership. Not going to say which one because it was so long ago everyone involved I am sure is retired or gone. It was below freezing cold and miserable so instead of dealing with it myself, I left it for them to look at and had my wife pick me up. They called me exactly 15 minutes later and said it was the cam position sensor and ready to pick up. A one bolt easy to change part. And easy to diagnose because the tach on the dash will not move when trying to start it. I should have caught it myself. I told them I would pick it up at the end of the day and if they would run the codes on it while they had it and give me the results. When I came to pick it up they had it in the shop and tore apart. Said I needed a new starter, that the fuel pump was weak and needed to be replaced, That my brakes were about to go bad. They gave me an estimate over $3000. I was livid, told them that I never told them to do any of that stuff, and to put the wheels back on and give me my truck back. Then the bill on the sensor had three hours labor on it. I asked for a manager and showed him my phone history where they told me it was ready 15 minutes after I left. We argued about "industry standard" and agreed on one hour labor. Plus they did not run the codes for me, despite all the things they found wrong with it. Then my truck would not start after they pulled up with it and killed it. I asked them to jump it off for me and it still would not start. I checked the battery terminals and one was loose. I had to get my tools out to tighten it back up myself. Started up then. When I got home I killed it and the starter bendix would spin, but not start, and it had a bad oil leak. I climbed under and my starter bolts were backed out. My oil pan drain bolt was loose and barely threaded in causing the oil leak. I found some of the lug nuts needed to be tightened up as well. Never had a problem with any of the things they said was wrong after I put it back together right. The mechanic sabotaged my truck either on purpose or in haste putting it back together poorly. The oil drain plug backed out leads me to believe the former. I wrote a letter to someone at Ford about it, but never heard back from them.

Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: GasGuzzler] #8565771 03/27/22 07:13 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

I bought a motorcraft part to be clear.

Bobby Barnett

Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: fadetoblack64] #8565829 03/27/22 08:44 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That’s a bunch of crap, John! I bet you were ready to spit nails bang

Re: car dealers aint going back [Re: fadetoblack64] #8565865 03/27/22 09:52 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Benny Boyd ( East side on Hwy.71 Bastrop years ago) In 2010,, My 2004 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins, I bought new,, 12,000 miles out of 100,000 warranty, died going down highway. Towed in. First they said needed injectors. Go ahead install, truck was running like a top before dying and always had since new. 2 days later, Service Manager called, low compression on 3 and 6 cylinder. Recommended $12,500 short block. What the hell?? . Cost me $3200 bucks to get it out of there. Labor and Injectors. Called wrecker. Cost me $450 bucks to tow it to La Grange Dodge which was closest to my Ranchito anyway. . Ovido Dodge Ticket was $148 bucks (Fuel Relay and Labor to install) drove it back over there to Benny Boyd and almost got thrown into Jail as I wanted to whip Service Managers azz and whoever else stood up. Officer that came out said they had that kind of problem all the time with Folks calling about getting hosed over. My Lawyer said wouldn't be worth it to sue um. Sold it to a THF Menber few years ago with 200,000 miles on the clock and still run and looked like a new one.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide