Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: Tbar] #8539862 02/24/22 03:08 PM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T-bar, I don't think your question was weird or odd. I've been shooting for 35 years and I don't think I've ever thought about breaking in a rifle. Also would wager that only 10% of the rifles I've ever owned have been new. Agree with Ten-year --You break it in as you're sighting it in just by sending rounds downrange. You also break it in as you're developing a load because well, you're sending rounds downrange.

I've broken in engines I have built or assembled... definitely a procedure there.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: tenyearsgone] #8539886 02/24/22 03:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by tenyearsgone
Originally Posted by Tbar
Your questions are kind of redundant.

You break it in as you're sighting it in just by sending rounds downrange. You also break it in as you're developing a load because well, you're sending rounds downrange.

Manufacturers have recommended break in procedures. One of these even specifically says don't bother sighting in until you go through the steps.

https://bergarausa.com/pdf/B14_Detached_mag_manual.pdf
https://www.howausa.com/faq/
https://service.savagearms.com/hc/en-us/articles/214238323-What-is-the-barrel-break-in-procedure-

I’ll stick with the opinions of Kreiger, LaRue, and my personal experience with match grade barrels. I’ve never seen a “break in” ritual make a difference. I have a half dozen barrels that shoot .1, .2, .3 groups that just had a wet patch down the bore to clean it out before firing.

Do you not follow the wet patch with a bunch of dry ones?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: J.G.] #8540033 02/24/22 05:05 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Your questions are kind of redundant.

You break it in as you're sighting it in just by sending rounds downrange. You also break it in as you're developing a load because well, you're sending rounds downrange.

Manufacturers have recommended break in procedures. One of these even specifically says don't bother sighting in until you go through the steps.

https://bergarausa.com/pdf/B14_Detached_mag_manual.pdf
https://www.howausa.com/faq/
https://service.savagearms.com/hc/en-us/articles/214238323-What-is-the-barrel-break-in-procedure-

I’ll stick with the opinions of Kreiger, LaRue, and my personal experience with match grade barrels. I’ve never seen a “break in” ritual make a difference. I have a half dozen barrels that shoot .1, .2, .3 groups that just had a wet patch down the bore to clean it out before firing.

Do you not follow the wet patch with a bunch of dry ones?

Yes. My apologizes for not being descriptive enough. Interestingly, I had carbon come out of the LaRue I just installed last night to replace my shot-out Rainier. I guess they already started the break-in process for me.

Last edited by tenyearsgone; 02/24/22 05:08 PM.
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: tenyearsgone] #8540094 02/24/22 06:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Every "band new" barrel I have cleaned has shown dirty patches. Be it, oil from machining and/or shipping, or carbon. Lots of barrels were fired at the factory they came out of. Save barrel blanks of course.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: Tbar] #8541429 02/25/22 11:18 PM
B
bluetopper Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Never forget when shooting groups to factor in human error. We're not perfect. I don't like sleds, Bipods and bags is what I prefer with the rifle against my shoulder, how I intend on shooting it. I've broke new barrels in long drawn out procedures and don't think it makes one bit of difference. Just shoot em a good bit then run a patch down them.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: Tbar] #8541511 02/26/22 12:28 AM
Tbar Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Krieger Barrel "Break-In" Procedure

Initially you should perform the shoot-one-shot-and-clean cycle for five shots. If fouling hasn't reduced, fire five more cycles and so on until fouling begins to drop off. At that point shoot three shots before cleaning and observe. If fouling is reduced, fire five shots before cleaning. Do not be alarmed if your seating depth gets longer during break in. This is typical of the “high spots in the throat being knocked down during this procedure. It is not uncommon for throat length to grow .005-.030 from a fresh unfired chamber during break in.

https://www.dixierifles.com/shop-now/barrel-break-in-procedure-the-krieger-way

Make America Great Again

Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: J.G.] #8545229 03/02/22 01:20 AM
H
Homer75 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Clean it, load what will be the lowest test charge, shoot 3, cool, adjust the scope, shoot 3 cool. They usually need 3 more. After round 7, I will adjust the scope one last time. Then shoot 8 and 9.

Load development at distance is next.

Clean it when it tells me it needs it.

You only shoot around 9ish rounds to break in the barrel? I’m currently breaking in my CA Ridgeline and I just finished shooting singles and switched to 3 shot groups.

Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: Homer75] #8545274 03/02/22 01:56 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Homer75
Clean it, load what will be the lowest test charge, shoot 3, cool, adjust the scope, shoot 3 cool. They usually need 3 more. After round 7, I will adjust the scope one last time. Then shoot 8 and 9.

Load development at distance is next.

Clean it when it tells me it needs it.

You only shoot around 9ish rounds to break in the barrel? I’m currently breaking in my CA Ridgeline and I just finished shooting singles and switched to 3 shot groups.

I shoot 9 rounds to foul it it. Work up a load, zero the best load at 100 uards, then run it out to 800 yards. I won't clean it unless it needs it. Some will go hundreds of rounds and not need a cleaning. Some will tell me to clean them 20 rounds in. If they get cleaned 20 rounds in, they will need to be fouled again, before I can move on.

The clean, shoot, clean, shoot barrel break-in procedure is nonsense.

And the Christensen Arms Ridgeline is one that I have in the shop right now, in .300 Win Mag. Did this same procedure last week. Waited on good weather, and ran it out to 800 yards on Sunday. It hasn't been cleaned again since the first cleaning.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: J.G.] #8545389 03/02/22 03:33 AM
H
Homer75 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I bought 2 boxes of crap Fed ammo just to break in the barrel and now I’ve been told by 2 people that breaking in a barrel is not needed. I can’t say anything because I have only bought a handful of new guns.

Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: Tbar] #8545402 03/02/22 03:50 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Button rifle or cut rifle they both have oil and one has chips. I cleaned the hell out of mine and it will shoot. I fouled it with cheap stuff too.

[Linked Image]
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: Homer75] #8545477 03/02/22 12:13 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I bought 2 boxes of crap Fed ammo just to break in the barrel and now I’ve been told by 2 people that breaking in a barrel is not needed. I can’t say anything because I have only bought a handful of new guns.

If you still have a box left, sell it.

Clean the barrel and go to the ammo you are going to use. And it'll take a few rounds of that ammo to settle in as well.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: Tbar] #8545574 03/02/22 02:14 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
This is a good thread. I knew Tikka barrels were cold hammered forged and stress relieved, but I didn't know that 100% of their completed rifles were shot 3, some 5 rounds. I've bought three brand new Tikkas over the last 7 years, one just a month or two ago. The way this last one (7mm Rem Mag) shot validated their claims to me. Their promo video of their factory tour that had a heavy focus on barrel making and this thread really paints a clear picture of how different barrel making processes drive a different break in by the buyer. IMO, a Tikka barrel doesn't need a "break in", but I'll verify that at the range regardless sighting in and getting to know how it shoots.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 03/02/22 02:16 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: Tbar] #8546844 03/03/22 06:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Krieger Barrel "Break-In" Procedure

Initially you should perform the shoot-one-shot-and-clean cycle for five shots. If fouling hasn't reduced, fire five more cycles and so on until fouling begins to drop off. At that point shoot three shots before cleaning and observe. If fouling is reduced, fire five shots before cleaning. Do not be alarmed if your seating depth gets longer during break in. This is typical of the “high spots in the throat being knocked down during this procedure. It is not uncommon for throat length to grow .005-.030 from a fresh unfired chamber during break in.

https://www.dixierifles.com/shop-now/barrel-break-in-procedure-the-krieger-way

up

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: Homer75] #8547119 03/04/22 12:54 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Sounds like you got two boxes of hog/varmint ammo to me up

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: New Rifle Break In [Re: Tbar] #8548754 03/05/22 10:58 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I proved once again how break-in is a myth during my load testing for the new LaRue barrel. Yes, that's really a .0 moa group with a gasser. I know, I need to shoot a 100 round group, and then someone will say I need to shoot 150 etc....

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide