Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #8526609 02/08/22 08:25 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted by patriot07
I do on my carry gun, but not on my nightstand gun because of kids at home. I saw a stat one time that 500 kids per year die from accidental gun violence, almost all of which is accidental discharge from them finding an unattended loaded weapon. That's a bunch of kids per year...

I think that 500 number is about average for all accidental shootings per year, not just kids. But yes with young kids at home you have to make the call that's right for your situation.

I could be wrong, but I think the number is substantially larger when you add in adults. Would be interesting to get something from a reliable source.

Even if it's 200 or 300, it's still a lot of kids.

I been thinking about getting one of those quick-open safes for my nightstand and putting a loaded pistol in it and opening it at night and closing in the morning.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8526613 02/08/22 08:35 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I'm thinking about buying one of them weird 22s, or them strange 1911s that are glued together so I can keep two chambered.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8526617 02/08/22 08:45 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Yep

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8526737 02/08/22 10:49 PM
C
COFF (TFF) Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I do on my carry gun, but not on my nightstand gun because of kids at home. I saw a stat one time that 500 kids per year die from accidental gun violence, almost all of which is accidental discharge from them finding an unattended loaded weapon. That's a bunch of kids per year...

I've got 3 kids, ranging from 15 down to 6 years old. From the time they were about 3 or 4, I started showing them my guns. I want them to see it and handle it. I let them play with it and even pretend shoot it, but only at blank walls - never pointed at a person.

My theory is that curiosity kills the cat. I want to satisfy their curiosity in a safe manner. It takes away the mystery, and they know they can always ask about them. The youngest especially likes to see and handle the guns, and I try to indulge that every time he asks. Each and every time I go through the basic rules:
1. NEVER touch a gun without me there.
2. NEVER point a gun at a person or pet.
3. NEVER NEVER NEVER let your friends show you a gun.

And to the OP - in the house safe, carry pistols and HD rifle are loaded, chambered and on safe.

When hunting, everything gets unloaded at the camp house. Everything gets chambered and on safe when heading to the stands. Can't tell you how many pigs and yotes get popped from the lease roads. And in mule deer country, spotting/stalking from the truck is sometimes the most effective means to hunt.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: COFF (TFF)] #8526740 02/08/22 10:51 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by COFF (TFF)

I've got 3 kids, ranging from 15 down to 6 years old. From the time they were about 3 or 4, I started showing them my guns. I want them to see it and handle it. I let them play with it and even pretend shoot it, but only at blank walls - never pointed at a person.

My theory is that curiosity kills the cat. I want to satisfy their curiosity in a safe manner. It takes away the mystery, and they know they can always ask about them. The youngest especially likes to see and handle the guns, and I try to indulge that every time he asks. Each and every time I go through the basic rules:

This

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8526770 02/08/22 11:35 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
I do , truck gun and at home. No one knows where they are but me

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: COFF (TFF)] #8526920 02/09/22 02:16 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P

And to the OP - in the house safe, carry pistols and HD rifle are loaded, chambered and on safe.

When hunting, everything gets unloaded at the camp house. Everything gets chambered and on safe when heading to the stands. Can't tell you how many pigs and yotes get popped from the lease roads. And in mule deer country, spotting/stalking from the truck is sometimes the most effective means to hunt.

Lots of dead kids were given similar rules, or had friends over who weren't given those rules and found the loaded guns and shot themselves or others.

There's a reason you have to be 18/21 to buy a gun. Kids can't be trusted to be responsible with a firearm. If you keep a loaded/unlocked firearm at home in a place where kids go, you're taking an unnecessary risk of hurting your kid or a kid visiting your house.

Actually about half of AD deaths in children were with kids who were over at a friends house (rather than their own). So roughly half the time, what you teach your own kids isn't even addressing the person who is most likely, statistically, to be involved.

I do agree that I don't teach kids to fear guns. My kids are 7 and 11. Both have shot 410, 22, and 12 gauge guns. They know where my guns are and know the basics of gun safety. But I would NEVER knowingly leave a loaded gun unlocked in a home with kids. It's just irresponsible.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: patriot07] #8526934 02/09/22 02:33 AM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T

Lots of dead kids were given similar rules, or had friends over who weren't given those rules and found the loaded guns and shot themselves or others.

There's a reason you have to be 18/21 to buy a gun. Kids can't be trusted to be responsible with a firearm. If you keep a loaded/unlocked firearm at home in a place where kids go, you're taking an unnecessary risk of hurting your kid or a kid visiting your house.

Actually about half of AD deaths in children were with kids who were over at a friends house (rather than their own). So roughly half the time, what you teach your own kids isn't even addressing the person who is most likely, statistically, to be involved.

I do agree that I don't teach kids to fear guns. My kids are 7 and 11. Both have shot 410, 22, and 12 gauge guns. They know where my guns are and know the basics of gun safety. But I would NEVER knowingly leave a loaded gun unlocked in a home with kids. It's just irresponsible.

I think you misread a sentence in his post. These are good rules to follow as you teach your kids

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8527007 02/09/22 03:33 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Have 4 and 2yr old curious boys running around the house so all guns are locked up at all times. 2 gun safes, 2 Vline handgun safes for each floor, 1 console safe in truck. Just not worth it. I cant get toddlers to stop pointing toy guns at each other, putting them in their mouth, looking down barrels so damn sure not gonna chance them coming across a real one.

I dont carry with round chambered either. Got too many little hands grabbing at dad ALL the damn time. Had one of them deploy my Microtech auto knife the other day in my pants pocket - thankfully not an OTF model.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8527015 02/09/22 03:46 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I have a couple of pistols locked and loaded round in the chamber. Also keep a couple rifles and shotguns loaded without one in the chamber….ready to roll in less than a second…

Carry & HD guns chambered ready to roll. Also keep a couple shotguns, a 10-22, and an AR in the safe with mags loaded and chamber empty. Rounds chambered when they leave the safe

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8527021 02/09/22 03:54 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
This is such a dumbass thread

Last edited by BigPig; 02/09/22 03:54 AM.
Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8527351 02/09/22 03:12 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I keep a revolver; always loaded. I don’t want to wonder if it’s loaded, on safety, etc if I wake up and realize that a threat exists.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: BigPig] #8527389 02/09/22 03:42 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted by BigPig

Yep

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: BigPig] #8527441 02/09/22 04:35 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

It's close to a dumbass thread. At least no one has said something stupid like "I carry on an empty chamber so I can rack the slide. That noise alone will scare off the bad guy." Now that would make it a dumbass thread.

Then again I haven't really read the whole thread so maybe I'm wrong.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: BigPig] #8527456 02/09/22 04:45 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Glad I’m not the only one thinking It.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8527946 02/10/22 02:09 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I have seen many, many dumb [censored] threads here, but this thread has value.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8527955 02/10/22 02:22 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’m not Israeli so I keep one chambered.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: BigPig] #8527970 02/10/22 02:36 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

I see why you were attracted to it roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: TLew] #8527996 02/10/22 03:00 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by TLew
I think you misread a sentence in his post. These are good rules to follow as you teach your kids

What if the friend is over at your house and goes inside without your son and finds your unlocked and loaded gun?

You're going to jail and you'll never be able to live with yourself if the kid does something stupid. It's just really irresponsible to keep unlocked and loaded guns that aren't directly attended by adults.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: BigPig] #8527998 02/10/22 03:04 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Most threads here are… roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: patriot07] #8528000 02/10/22 03:05 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

What if the friend is over at your house and goes inside without your son and finds your unlocked and loaded gun?

You're going to jail and you'll never be able to live with yourself if the kid does something stupid. It's just really irresponsible to keep unlocked and loaded guns that aren't directly attended by adults.

I think you should sell all your guns.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8528002 02/10/22 03:07 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

I think you should sell all your guns.

Already sold them all to Bob at the gun show. Huge profit. YUGE

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: patriot07] #8528006 02/10/22 03:10 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

Why do you keep loaded firearms in reach of children? I have children and they get into GD everything and I have managed to make sure this does not happen. What is your point?

[Linked Image]
Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8528217 02/10/22 02:26 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
No.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? [Re: reeltexan] #8528223 02/10/22 02:32 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Chambered unless it's a deer rifle that I'm carrying to my deer stand, at which time I just keep several in the magazine. I wait until I'm sitting and ready to hunt before putting one in the chamber, and remove it before I get up to leave. I do this to avoid accidents while climbing into and out of deer stands, as well as when handling a rifle around vehicles where shooting accidents commonly occur. The tragic death that occurred this past season in East Texas serves as an example of that.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/10/22 02:39 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide