Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/05/22 11:54 PM

At all times on all guns
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/05/22 11:57 PM

As time goes on, more and more.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/05/22 11:58 PM

Yup. It's just a paper weight if it ain't ready to go. Whatever you do, make sure you sufficiently train with the way you keep them. Don't want to be in a panic situation and trying to fire on an empty chamber.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/05/22 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
At all times on all guns

This.

Even the cleaning lady knows.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 12:10 AM

All the time
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 12:14 AM

I don't have any loaded guns wink
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 12:23 AM

If there’s not one in the chamber, your gonna lose every time.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 12:32 AM

Yep!
Posted By: chambers creek

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 12:33 AM

All the time!
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 12:41 AM

Yes, 24/7/365.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 12:45 AM

Yep; all of them ready to go play social games if required. 24/7/365
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 12:50 AM

Yes, 100% of the time.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 01:04 AM

Absolutely...
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 01:12 AM

Always one in the chamber. Especially at the lease never know when you will get a quick chance at a coyote or hog.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 01:13 AM

If it ain't loaded and ready to rock, you gotta swing awful hard to make it an effective hammer!!
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 01:20 AM

At all times on all guns

This!

Even in my safe,..I treat all guns as loaded so might as well be.

Rifles, no. AR loaded mag but not chambered.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 01:21 AM

I have a couple of pistols locked and loaded round in the chamber. Also keep a couple rifles and shotguns loaded without one in the chamber….ready to roll in less than a second…
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Superduty
At all times on all guns

This!

Even in my safe,..I treat all guns as loaded so might as well be.

Rifles, no. AR loaded mag but not chambered.

I’m confused.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 01:45 AM

Yes. I have a tool belt if I want to carry a hammer.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 01:49 AM

If it is drop safe (all of my handguns are) they have a full magazine and one in the chamber.

Rifles and shotguns are all carried "Cruiser Safe", full magazines, bolts locked on an empty chamber, safety on.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 01:49 AM

Nope, not in my bedside gun which is a 32 auto. It does have a full clip and just a slide away from being ready to go. I also have a .22 S&W long barrel double action in my dresser drawer ready to go. It may not kill someone but just the sight of should make them think twice.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Nope, not in my bedside gun which is a 32 auto. It does have a full clip and just a slide away from being ready to go. I also have a .22 S&W long barrel double action in my dresser drawer ready to go. It may not kill someone but just the sight of should make them think twice.

Magazine.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by Stump_jumper

Magazine.

That's funny.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 02:37 AM

Always. I don’t get people who don’t. My BIL carries his pistol and a spare mag daily, empty chamber. Seems crazy to me.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 02:39 AM

Everything is always loaded and chambered. I read posts in the other sections on here about never chambering a round, until the person is about to shoot or in their deer stand, because they think they are being safe. Cracks me up every time. Monkeying around loading and unloading a gun is the best way to have a ND.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 02:42 AM

If it is out of the safe, it is loaded.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 02:48 AM

Semi-auto pistol that is holstered:

Not keeping one in the chamber is like saying you will put your seat belt on right before the car crash.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 02:56 AM

Usually about 30 minutes after eating I announce that I’ve just chambered a live round. Then I excuse myself.

1911s and striker fired alike. If it’s mine it’s full to the brim. Although the 1911s do make a good club when you run out of anmo.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 03:04 AM

Always
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 03:09 AM

Carry gun and bedside rifle are chambered, safety on. Rifle walking to the stand gets chambered once I am situated in the stand. No crossing fences or climbing ladders with a loaded chamber.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by wp75169
Usually about 30 minutes after eating I announce that I’ve just chambered a live round. Then I excuse myself.

1911s and striker fired alike. If it’s mine it’s full to the brim. Although the 1911s do make a good club when you run out of anmo.

Ok this deserves a clap
clap
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 03:31 AM

1 in the chamber, 7 in the clip
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 03:35 AM

No.. I keep mine unloaded, field stripped, and various parts placed around the house.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 03:44 AM

One not in the chamber is called a dead man’s gun for a reason…
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Carry gun and bedside rifle are chambered, safety on. Rifle walking to the stand gets chambered once I am situated in the stand. No crossing fences or climbing ladders with a loaded chamber.

This…
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thundervee
Yes

At all times on all guns

Anything else and might as well have a hammer.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 03:32 PM

Of course, I may need to discharge it before someone does theirs.
Posted By: TxBatman

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 03:36 PM

Used to, but with a 5 year old I recently changed my mind
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 03:58 PM

At all times on all guns

To each his own, but I can't think of a good reason to keep all of the guns in my safes chambered at all times. If I have time to open a safe, I have time to chamber round. Having loaded mags in my guns in my safes is good enough for me.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty
Originally Posted by wp75169

Ok this deserves a clap
clap

clap
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/06/22 04:23 PM

Banana clip , let Chiquita speak
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by TxBatman
Used to, but with a 5 year old I recently changed my mind

Same. With a 5 and 3 year old in the house, I don't anymore.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 03:16 PM

Yep. Rogan had Andy Stumpf on this past week, and Rogan showed some ignorance talking about how dumb it is to leave one chambered. The specific context was about the road rage incident where the guy was shooting through his window and windshield. Andy acknowledges the guy was an idiot but then put Joe in his place by talking about if you're scared to carry without one in the chamber then maybe you shouldn't carry in the first place. Plenty of logic there when it comes to raw motor skills, reaction time, and gun handling
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 03:48 PM

On all HD/SD guns, yes. Guns being "stored", no.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Precision_Shooter
On all HD/SD guns, yes. Guns being "stored", no.

This.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 06:10 PM

I do on my carry gun, but not on my nightstand gun because of kids at home. I saw a stat one time that 500 kids per year die from accidental gun violence, almost all of which is accidental discharge from them finding an unattended loaded weapon. That's a bunch of kids per year...
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07
I do on my carry gun, but not on my nightstand gun because of kids at home. I saw a stat one time that 500 kids per year die from accidental gun violence, almost all of which is accidental discharge from them finding an unattended loaded weapon. That's a bunch of kids per year...

I think that 500 number is about average for all accidental shootings per year, not just kids. But yes with young kids at home you have to make the call that's right for your situation.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 08:01 PM

Same here. In chamber when carrying, not in chamber when stored.

In addition to the life-long grief of potentially having your child, or another child killed, you can also expect to face some prison time if a kid gets hurt because you failed to secure your weapon at home.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

I think that 500 number is about average for all accidental shootings per year, not just kids. But yes with young kids at home you have to make the call that's right for your situation.

I could be wrong, but I think the number is substantially larger when you add in adults. Would be interesting to get something from a reliable source.

Even if it's 200 or 300, it's still a lot of kids.

I been thinking about getting one of those quick-open safes for my nightstand and putting a loaded pistol in it and opening it at night and closing in the morning.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 08:35 PM

I'm thinking about buying one of them weird 22s, or them strange 1911s that are glued together so I can keep two chambered.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 08:45 PM

Yep
Posted By: COFF (TFF)

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 10:49 PM

I've got 3 kids, ranging from 15 down to 6 years old. From the time they were about 3 or 4, I started showing them my guns. I want them to see it and handle it. I let them play with it and even pretend shoot it, but only at blank walls - never pointed at a person.

My theory is that curiosity kills the cat. I want to satisfy their curiosity in a safe manner. It takes away the mystery, and they know they can always ask about them. The youngest especially likes to see and handle the guns, and I try to indulge that every time he asks. Each and every time I go through the basic rules:
1. NEVER touch a gun without me there.
2. NEVER point a gun at a person or pet.
3. NEVER NEVER NEVER let your friends show you a gun.

And to the OP - in the house safe, carry pistols and HD rifle are loaded, chambered and on safe.

When hunting, everything gets unloaded at the camp house. Everything gets chambered and on safe when heading to the stands. Can't tell you how many pigs and yotes get popped from the lease roads. And in mule deer country, spotting/stalking from the truck is sometimes the most effective means to hunt.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by COFF (TFF)

I've got 3 kids, ranging from 15 down to 6 years old. From the time they were about 3 or 4, I started showing them my guns. I want them to see it and handle it. I let them play with it and even pretend shoot it, but only at blank walls - never pointed at a person.

My theory is that curiosity kills the cat. I want to satisfy their curiosity in a safe manner. It takes away the mystery, and they know they can always ask about them. The youngest especially likes to see and handle the guns, and I try to indulge that every time he asks. Each and every time I go through the basic rules:

This
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/08/22 11:35 PM

I do , truck gun and at home. No one knows where they are but me

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/09/22 02:16 AM

And to the OP - in the house safe, carry pistols and HD rifle are loaded, chambered and on safe.

When hunting, everything gets unloaded at the camp house. Everything gets chambered and on safe when heading to the stands. Can't tell you how many pigs and yotes get popped from the lease roads. And in mule deer country, spotting/stalking from the truck is sometimes the most effective means to hunt.

Lots of dead kids were given similar rules, or had friends over who weren't given those rules and found the loaded guns and shot themselves or others.

There's a reason you have to be 18/21 to buy a gun. Kids can't be trusted to be responsible with a firearm. If you keep a loaded/unlocked firearm at home in a place where kids go, you're taking an unnecessary risk of hurting your kid or a kid visiting your house.

Actually about half of AD deaths in children were with kids who were over at a friends house (rather than their own). So roughly half the time, what you teach your own kids isn't even addressing the person who is most likely, statistically, to be involved.

I do agree that I don't teach kids to fear guns. My kids are 7 and 11. Both have shot 410, 22, and 12 gauge guns. They know where my guns are and know the basics of gun safety. But I would NEVER knowingly leave a loaded gun unlocked in a home with kids. It's just irresponsible.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/09/22 02:33 AM

Lots of dead kids were given similar rules, or had friends over who weren't given those rules and found the loaded guns and shot themselves or others.

There's a reason you have to be 18/21 to buy a gun. Kids can't be trusted to be responsible with a firearm. If you keep a loaded/unlocked firearm at home in a place where kids go, you're taking an unnecessary risk of hurting your kid or a kid visiting your house.

Actually about half of AD deaths in children were with kids who were over at a friends house (rather than their own). So roughly half the time, what you teach your own kids isn't even addressing the person who is most likely, statistically, to be involved.

I do agree that I don't teach kids to fear guns. My kids are 7 and 11. Both have shot 410, 22, and 12 gauge guns. They know where my guns are and know the basics of gun safety. But I would NEVER knowingly leave a loaded gun unlocked in a home with kids. It's just irresponsible.

I think you misread a sentence in his post. These are good rules to follow as you teach your kids
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/09/22 03:33 AM

Have 4 and 2yr old curious boys running around the house so all guns are locked up at all times. 2 gun safes, 2 Vline handgun safes for each floor, 1 console safe in truck. Just not worth it. I cant get toddlers to stop pointing toy guns at each other, putting them in their mouth, looking down barrels so damn sure not gonna chance them coming across a real one.

I dont carry with round chambered either. Got too many little hands grabbing at dad ALL the damn time. Had one of them deploy my Microtech auto knife the other day in my pants pocket - thankfully not an OTF model.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/09/22 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I have a couple of pistols locked and loaded round in the chamber. Also keep a couple rifles and shotguns loaded without one in the chamber….ready to roll in less than a second…

Carry & HD guns chambered ready to roll. Also keep a couple shotguns, a 10-22, and an AR in the safe with mags loaded and chamber empty. Rounds chambered when they leave the safe
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/09/22 03:54 AM

This is such a dumbass thread
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/09/22 03:12 PM

I keep a revolver; always loaded. I don’t want to wonder if it’s loaded, on safety, etc if I wake up and realize that a threat exists.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/09/22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig

Yep
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/09/22 04:35 PM

It's close to a dumbass thread. At least no one has said something stupid like "I carry on an empty chamber so I can rack the slide. That noise alone will scare off the bad guy." Now that would make it a dumbass thread.

Then again I haven't really read the whole thread so maybe I'm wrong.
Posted By: cbump

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/09/22 04:45 PM

Glad I’m not the only one thinking It.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 02:09 AM

I have seen many, many dumb [censored] threads here, but this thread has value.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 02:22 AM

I’m not Israeli so I keep one chambered.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 02:36 AM

I see why you were attracted to it roflmao

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by TLew
I think you misread a sentence in his post. These are good rules to follow as you teach your kids

What if the friend is over at your house and goes inside without your son and finds your unlocked and loaded gun?

You're going to jail and you'll never be able to live with yourself if the kid does something stupid. It's just really irresponsible to keep unlocked and loaded guns that aren't directly attended by adults.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 03:04 AM

Most threads here are… roflmao

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 03:05 AM

What if the friend is over at your house and goes inside without your son and finds your unlocked and loaded gun?

You're going to jail and you'll never be able to live with yourself if the kid does something stupid. It's just really irresponsible to keep unlocked and loaded guns that aren't directly attended by adults.

I think you should sell all your guns.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

I think you should sell all your guns.

Already sold them all to Bob at the gun show. Huge profit. YUGE
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 03:10 AM

Why do you keep loaded firearms in reach of children? I have children and they get into GD everything and I have managed to make sure this does not happen. What is your point?
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 02:26 PM

No.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 02:32 PM

Chambered unless it's a deer rifle that I'm carrying to my deer stand, at which time I just keep several in the magazine. I wait until I'm sitting and ready to hunt before putting one in the chamber, and remove it before I get up to leave. I do this to avoid accidents while climbing into and out of deer stands, as well as when handling a rifle around vehicles where shooting accidents commonly occur. The tragic death that occurred this past season in East Texas serves as an example of that.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 03:29 PM

Please show me where he said he leaves loaded guns lying around for kids to find in his house. I'll make it easy for you as well, it's reposted below.

Spoiler alert: He doesn't. You said that doesn't help with another kid, and I highlighted rule #3 that you have to teach your kids to not get in a bad situation as well as take the curiosity out of it. You're talking in circles, but that's ok because I'm not dizzy

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 08:06 PM

Please show me where he said he leaves loaded guns lying around for kids to find in his house. I'll make it easy for you as well, it's reposted below.

Spoiler alert: He doesn't. You said that doesn't help with another kid, and I highlighted rule #3 that you have to teach your kids to not get in a bad situation as well as take the curiosity out of it. You're talking in circles, but that's ok because I'm not dizzy

I'm not addressing his comments specifically. He addressed mine and I provided a generic response.

I am simply saying, once again, that leaving loaded and unlocked guns in the house is creating a recipe for disaster, and is exactly the direct cause of the death of hundreds of kids per year.

He is saying he teaches things to his kids. That's good, and I do too. But what about when your kid has friends over at your house? They aren't taught those same things. That's my point. I'm sorry if it was unclear earlier.

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2Beez

Why do you keep loaded firearms in reach of children? I have children and they get into GD everything and I have managed to make sure this does not happen. What is your point?

I don't. That was my point - anyone who does is taking significant, unnecessary risk.

But what determines "in reach of children"? In my opinion, anything not in a locked safe or on your person is "in reach of children".
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Do You Keep One Chambered? - 02/10/22 08:40 PM

If I'm carrying my handgun it's loaded, chambered and has no safety.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum