Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: SherpaPhil] #8512505 01/24/22 11:19 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Another thing to consider is the amount of energy/fuel it takes to prepare your foods. Freeze dried meals require you to bring water to a boil. Rice and beans require sustained heat for quite a while. If your power is out and its cold, freeze dried could be a pain, while rice and bean might not be possible without planning ahead. I've made sure to have some ready to eat foods, MREs, etc. They are often more expensive and don't taste as good, but after the Big Freeze, I wanted to make sure to have some stuff to get us through the worst of it after a natural disaster, without having to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to heat water.

I have a dozen ways to make fire to heat water without a kitchen stove. Everyone should have a least 1 beer can stove and some denatured alcohol.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8512510 01/24/22 11:22 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
chicken

[Linked Image]
Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8512514 01/24/22 11:26 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I have a wood burning stove in my house too, surrounded by 1000 plus oaks trees

It still amazes me for people to either build a house or shop without adding a wood burning stove to one of them

We've cooked on ours before during that last cold spell from hell last year

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: SherpaPhil] #8512533 01/24/22 11:47 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Another thing to consider is the amount of energy/fuel it takes to prepare your foods. Freeze dried meals require you to bring water to a boil. Rice and beans require sustained heat for quite a while. If your power is out and its cold, freeze dried could be a pain, while rice and bean might not be possible without planning ahead. I've made sure to have some ready to eat foods, MREs, etc. They are often more expensive and don't taste as good, but after the Big Freeze, I wanted to make sure to have some stuff to get us through the worst of it after a natural disaster, without having to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to heat water.

You don’t have to bring water to a boil for freeze dried or dehydrated, they will rehydrate with non heated water, just takes longer. Trust me, found out hardway, but nonetheless still edible

Most the peak refuels are also only 6-10oz of water also

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: HWY_MAN] #8512541 01/24/22 11:53 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Sound like some here need to learn how to make Pemmican, the ultimate survival food that has helped humans survive for thousands of years, Might give you a reason to shoot an extra doe next year.

Yes

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: Marc K] #8512567 01/25/22 12:08 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by Marc K
Sound like some here need to learn how to make Pemmican, the ultimate survival food that has helped humans survive for thousands of years, Might give you a reason to shoot an extra doe next year.

Yes

I just watched a 12 min video on how to make it

Good to know info

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: Marc K] #8512621 01/25/22 12:44 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Marc K

Yes

Yeppers.

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8512674 01/25/22 01:11 AM
R
Remo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I guess it's time to prep my preps better. At least I'm a useful cook: jerky, beer/mead/cider/wine, bullets, canning, etc. Can't rely on my dazzling charisma to keep me alive during the apocalypse, that's for sure.
Walmart seems to have food, HEB has some bare days for sure lately.

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8512806 01/25/22 02:44 AM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’ve had a few of he mountain houses I keep at the cabin for snacks in the deer stand or duck blind. Also have a case or two of mres for storage at the house.

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8512991 01/25/22 01:33 PM
P
Pigsicles Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Rice, pasta and beans sound like a good plan but in any extended event a variety of food will be a welcome choice.
A few of what we have found to be excellent tasting products that have extended shelf life are.
Ova Easy egg crystals.
Yoders canned bacon and canned ground sausage and ground beef
Country Cream milk and chocolate milk
An assortment of dried items from Hoosier Hill Farm including peanut butter, cheese, tomato paste, yogurt
Red feather butter
Augason Farms Vegetable Stew mix, diced potatoes
Chefs Banquet sauce mixes (makes rice, pasta and beans a bit more palatable)

These are just a few prepared food storage items in addition to a selection of ready to rehydrate foods from Mountain House, Wise and Patriot Pantry.

Full disclosure, I did rep one of the major preparedness food companies when I had my rep agency so we got to taste many items in addition to competitors products and learned a lot about selection and quality.

Excellent sources to consider looking at are Pleasant Hill Grains in Nebraska as well as Costco as they usually have a decent offering on their website.

Pulsar Trail XQ50
Pulsar HD 19A
Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8513010 01/25/22 01:45 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I am glad to see this topic being discussed here. Too many people are totally unprepared and unaware of what may be coming down the line. I am in no way prepared for a long term grid down event but we can hunker down and be OK for awhile.

I suspect that the biggest problem that I would be facing are people looking for help because they didn't plan ahead. Scared people get real desperate real fast.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8513023 01/25/22 02:09 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: Wburke2010] #8513027 01/25/22 02:14 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by wburke2010
I’ve had a few of he mountain houses I keep at the cabin for snacks in the deer stand or duck blind. Also have a case or two of mres for storage at the house.

Peak refuel biscuits and gravy is legit

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8513178 01/25/22 04:21 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Bunch of cry babies on this thread. We grew our own when I was growing up. My daddy took cotton to the gin in a mule pulled wagon. He took momma's eggs and butter. He got a little seed money. The cotton was for paying off the crop loan. We called it the furnish. My favorite trip. I always got a nickel soft drink. We grew sorghum and ate biscuits..

It did nothing to hurt my health. I only took five sick days in the 30 years on the job.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: bill oxner] #8513188 01/25/22 04:26 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Bunch of cry babies on this thread. We grew our own when I was growing up. My daddy took cotton to the gin in a mule pulled wagon. He took momma's eggs and butter. He got a little seed money. The cotton was for paying off the crop loan. We called it the furnish. My favorite trip. I always got a nickel soft drink. We grew sorghum and ate biscuits..

It did nothing to hurt my health. I only took five sick days in the 30 years on the job.

Cry babies? You’re the only one comparing and complaining about you standard of living growing up. roflmao we where all born after the industrial revolution

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8513216 01/25/22 04:52 PM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

My brother bought a few of the peak refuel chad mendes ones. I have been looking at the peak refuel stuff and plan on picking some up. I don't buy a bunch of them to store but to actually use. Need to get the pantry setup in the new house but I store good amounts of canned goods and stuff we eat every day so if something were to happen we have enough food in the house for months. With the amount of people in my family we arn't bugging out to anywhere but staying put and we will be good. food

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8513223 01/25/22 05:01 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Things change.

[Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8513225 01/25/22 05:06 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Lord have mercy.

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: Wburke2010] #8513265 01/25/22 06:06 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

My brother bought a few of the peak refuel chad mendes ones. I have been looking at the peak refuel stuff and plan on picking some up. I don't buy a bunch of them to store but to actually use. Need to get the pantry setup in the new house but I store good amounts of canned goods and stuff we eat every day so if something were to happen we have enough food in the house for months. With the amount of people in my family we arn't bugging out to anywhere but staying put and we will be good. food

Mended bison ranch potatoes is really good also.

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8513405 01/25/22 08:52 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Cry babies? You’re the only one comparing and complaining about you standard of living growing up. roflmao we where all born after the industrial revolution

I picked corn and cotton, and also chopped cotton on my grandparents farm. I wouldn’t trade that experience for nothing.
They taught me so much, especially how to live.
If you don’t need it don’t buy it, if you can do it yourself do it.
We done all of our own butchering.
I try to teach my grandkids everything they taught me.
I am so blessed.

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8513428 01/25/22 09:10 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Amazing how the spelling improves when the old narcissist is really crowing.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8513440 01/25/22 09:22 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

You don’t have to bring water to a boil for freeze dried or dehydrated, they will rehydrate with non heated water, just takes longer. Trust me, found out hardway, but nonetheless still edible

Most the peak refuels are also only 6-10oz of water also

Good point and definitely worth keeping in mind. My situation has two major obstacles to that, assuming we are in a short term power out kinda deal. 1) it takes hours. Granted its set it and forget it, but you really need to plan ahead for food; and 2) much more importantly, if my wife is eating cold Mountain House, my situation is about to be a lot more unpleasant than it needs to be!

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8513461 01/25/22 09:49 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Portions.

[Linked Image]

Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: bill oxner] #8513732 01/26/22 02:26 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
PC

No kidding, good grief oxbot....

[Linked Image]
Re: Recommend emergency food supply [Re: erathar] #8513754 01/26/22 03:09 AM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
plenty of beans and rice

canned spam

canned peaches

oh, and get some of that fake shrimp too!

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide