Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Huntinherrington
Originally Posted by flintknapper

I've used Kreso D for decades.

What's the mix ratio?

50-60 to 1

Just enough to impart a strong smell (which isn't hard to do, don't get any on yourself).

Hogs naturally like to rub on rough barked trees but are also attracted to creosote soaked fence posts and utility poles.

[Linked Image]

In the one case (rough barked trees) hogs rub them for several reasons....

1. To help remove parasites. Often hogs will wallow in mud which traps parasites (fleas, ticks, lice, etc) then they rub on the tree/other to dislodge the mud and parasites. And it just feels good to them...dislodging old hair and scratching.

2. In the case of creosote coated posts....I believe it again gives them relief but I think that is secondary to them being attracted to the smell and using the object as a 'sign post' leaving their own scent behind.

I say this after years of observing their habits. When I see rubs on trees, they are heavily caked with mud and as soon as the bark is worn smooth... the use stops.

Conversely, creosote soaked posts/poles are visited over and over again. Are not heavily covered in mud and will be used in some cases to a point where the post/pole is literally worn half way through.

Last edited by flintknapper; 12/20/21 05:01 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: friscotx] #8485753 12/24/21 05:46 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
flintknapper is giving great info.
This pole is right near a pond on the BIL place, look at how deep the wallow and rubbing trail is around this pole.

Also, forgot but apparently they really like silage hay, the sweet stuff. Sorghum would probably get them in too.

[Linked Image]

Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: friscotx] #8486261 12/25/21 01:01 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I don’t have to use attractants. They’re everywhere.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: friscotx] #8486305 12/25/21 02:21 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I noticed the guy with the "hog attractant" for $60/bottle lives in Wyoming and forgot to proofread his website for errors. Just sayin'.
I did trap daily for a few years and it is fun to experiment with different products on different properties to see if something works here but not there or better than something else. I did find that in different areas hogs were attracted to different baits than other areas. It was good to play with various concoctions although for me the base product was always steamed crimped corn (looks flat and about $1 a bag more), soak it in water or your favorite smell, it seems to carry that corn smell quite a ways more than standard corn.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: friscotx] #8486367 12/25/21 03:26 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Humm, which Guy in Wyoming are you taking about, not me I have no website. But, I am from Texas have been coming down to hunt hogs every year since the 90's on the family place.
And I am no "guy".

Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: Wytex] #8486436 12/25/21 05:21 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Wytex
Humm, which Guy in Wyoming are you taking about, not me I have no website. But, I am from Texas have been coming down to hunt hogs every year since the 90's on the family place.
And I am no "guy".

Nothing personal or against Wyoming brother, lived 30 minutes from Cheyenne for many years, it was in jest about living where there are no hogs and selling hog attractant.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: friscotx] #8491512 12/31/21 05:06 PM
T
texaspatriot.308 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I sour hundred pounds of corn at a time, mix in some yeast, sugar, red soda water. Cheap and it works. Never had anyone tell me they had luck with diesel. Maybe just our luck. I used old Purina molasses tubs and keep a plywood lid over it.

Last edited by texaspatriot.308; 12/31/21 05:07 PM.

TexasPatriot.308
Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: friscotx] #8491727 12/31/21 10:18 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I have had hogs really be attracted to diesel. Used to mix it with used motor oil and brush it onto trees and had them rub and lick to their hearts content.

Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: texaspatriot.308] #8491779 12/31/21 10:49 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by texaspatriot.308
I sour hundred pounds of corn at a time, mix in some yeast, sugar, red soda water. Cheap and it works. Never had anyone tell me they had luck with diesel. Maybe just our luck. I used old Purina molasses tubs and keep a plywood lid over it.

I use this at a couple sites and it works pretty well if they are in the area. Real well.
What is really neat about it is that if I let it get really ripe the deer won't pick it clean off in the evening before the hogs get there and the raccoons lay around like drunk hobos if they get a belly full.

One particular site Ive had 2 weird encounters using it.

A couple weeks ago 2 larger boars got their fill and laid up a few yards behind the spread bait and hardly flinched when we shot another one less than 40 yards away. I had to work at throwing things at them multiple times to get them to stand up for a clean shot. They were laying together nearly motionless so I didn't even know there were 2 until one of the rocks caused the last one to flick it's ears shortly before the first one stood up. I don't know if they were drunk or not but it wasn't exactly normal behavior.

Another time in the exact same spot I shot an opening volley at a group of half a dozen who were going wild in the pile. 2 dropped on the spot as I started swinging on the runners. About 20 seconds into the killing one of the pigs in the original group ran back to the pile and started gobbling up the stuff with the 2 still twitching and kicking a few feet away. I could hardly hit it laughing so hard. We were shooting shorty guns with cheap 7.62x39 less than 50yds away from the pile. God awful loud suppressed at the same time spitting fire balls and he still had to come grab a couple mouthfuls. roflmao

Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: Wytex] #8491892 01/01/22 12:07 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
I noticed the guy with the "hog attractant" for $60/bottle lives in Wyoming and forgot to proofread his website for errors. Just sayin'.

That is hilarious. That is like getting Picante sauce from New York City or Tex-Mex in Ontario. To add to your comment, I don't think I have EVER seen such a small quantity of bait sold on a "4 easy payments" plan before. If you are selling a small jar of bait on a payment plan, your product is way too expensive. It better comes with a teleporter to transport hogs to your location on demand for that kind of money.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: unclebubba] #8500153 01/10/22 04:25 PM
F
floresrsr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
up

Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.
Ernest Hemingway

Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8500160 01/10/22 04:33 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

That is hilarious. That is like getting Picante sauce from New York City or Tex-Mex in Ontario. To add to your comment, I don't think I have EVER seen such a small quantity of bait sold on a "4 easy payments" plan before. If you are selling a small jar of bait on a payment plan, your product is way too expensive. It better comes with a teleporter to transport hogs to your location on demand for that kind of money.

But then again if your gettting that kind of money for it your laughing all the way to the bank everytime someone checks out! A fool and his money are easily parted.

Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: friscotx] #8500435 01/10/22 09:31 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
To me, "attractant" means it's pulling hogs into where there weren't hogs before. If you pour it by a a feeder that they hit (regularly or irregularly), that doesn't count in my book. Hogs are transient, they're constantly moving. We monitor 11 feeders at the ranch and you'll see them hit a feeder three nights in a row, then dissapear for weeks, or you see multiple different sounders move around, sometimes intermingle, plus the lone boars or small groups (pairs or trios). If any of you know how to pattern them, let me know, I've been hunting hogs for a long time and have never been able to figure that out. Corn works well for me, corn with jello powder or the cheap grape soda from Walmart also seems to work well (better than plain corn? Don't know, maybe it's self-delusional). I'm definitely not paying $60 for a bottle unless it comes with a money-back guarantee! smile

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: Exiled] #8500556 01/10/22 11:23 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Exiled
To me, "attractant" means it's pulling hogs into where there weren't hogs before. If you pour it by a a feeder that they hit (regularly or irregularly), that doesn't count in my book..

That's how Pigman shows an attractant works. He pours a bunch out under a working feeder and if a hog shows up...at some point, then the stuff worked, LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8500744 01/11/22 02:45 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
To me, "attractant" means it's pulling hogs into where there weren't hogs before. If you pour it by a a feeder that they hit (regularly or irregularly), that doesn't count in my book..

That's how Pigman shows an attractant works. He pours a bunch out under a working feeder and if a hog shows up...at some point, then the stuff worked, LOL.

up

I'd even be OK with that IF the hogs only ate the attractant and not the corn or if not a food product....ignored the feeder and concentrated only on the attractant, which of course they do not.

Time and money are better spent making a place more 'attractive' (in general) to hogs than trying to pull them in with any one product. If you can provide food, water, cover and don't over-hunt a place....you'll likely have hogs to hunt semi-regularly.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: Ranch Dawg] #8500750 01/11/22 02:53 AM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ranch Dawg
Been pouring two big boxes of cherry koolaid in my sacks of corn for the trap. Pigs cannot resist it.

Originally Posted by Ranch Dawg
Dollar store powder jello ,,,, cherry. Pour 4 boxes in 50 pound bag of corn. Thank me later. Cost - .98 cents a box.

Bingo

Last edited by Greg; 01/11/22 02:56 AM.
Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: friscotx] #8500801 01/11/22 03:46 AM
K
Kodyjoe2016 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I soak corn in diesel or put it in a sprayer and soak corn when I bait traps. Keeps coons from eating the corn also. Spray diesel on bushes or tree trunk and hogs will rub all over it

Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: Exiled] #8500807 01/11/22 03:52 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
They are sure sporadic and roam a ton
To me, "attractant" means it's pulling hogs into where there weren't hogs before. If you pour it by a a feeder that they hit (regularly or irregularly), that doesn't count in my book. Hogs are transient, they're constantly moving. We monitor 11 feeders at the ranch and you'll see them hit a feeder three nights in a row, then dissapear for weeks, or you see multiple different sounders move around, sometimes intermingle, plus the lone boars or small groups (pairs or trios). If any of you know how to pattern them, let me know, I've been hunting hogs for a long time and have never been able to figure that out. Corn works well for me, corn with jello powder or the cheap grape soda from Walmart also seems to work well (better than plain corn? Don't know, maybe it's self-delusional). I'm definitely not paying $60 for a bottle unless it comes with a money-back guarantee! smile

Yep my experienc as well on my place. I can pattern some of the big lone boars at times but even then they will all the sudden stop coming in. Just this week had a large sounder with young ones and mixed sizes come in at 10:30 a.m. in the morning out of nowewhere and hit a feeder. Majority of activity has been late night and early morning. I haven't seen them again on my cameras. You just never know with these bastards.

Re: Wild Hog Attractant [Re: friscotx] #8500810 01/11/22 03:53 AM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
They rub on the diesel places to keep the fleas off them.

Last edited by fishdfly; 01/11/22 03:54 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide