Page 1 of 2 1 2
Obituaries #8497243 01/07/22 04:29 AM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Why don’t they state how the deceased died? There are some people from my past that I’ve considered going and paying my respects, but I need to know how they died as I don’t go when it’s suicide.

Anybody else ever wonder?

Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497248 01/07/22 04:55 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
popcorn

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497250 01/07/22 04:55 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Private information?

To be determined
Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497259 01/07/22 05:05 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Honestly, I've never thought about that. My FIL recently passed as you probably already know. When we were writing the obituary, the funeral home gave us a template to help us write the obituary, and nowhere did it mention the cause of death. I never really questioned it, so I wouldn't know, but if it is someone whom you would otherwise pay respects to, does it matter? Jesus's death payed for all of our sins. Even the sin of taking your own life.

Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497270 01/07/22 05:39 AM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
A lot of times our obits will indicate natural causes, or "incident to age". Almost all suicides are just listed as died at home

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497278 01/07/22 05:52 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
It was COVID related don't you know Everybody dies from COVID.....

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Obituaries [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8497283 01/07/22 06:04 AM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Private information?

It’s eventually public record on the county website

Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497302 01/07/22 07:25 AM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by BigPig
Why don’t they state how the deceased died? There are some people from my past that I’ve considered going and paying my respects, but I need to know how they died as I don’t go when it’s suicide.

You have to go.
Even if it's just to tell them, they were wrong, but they were loved.. 2cents

Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497309 01/07/22 08:21 AM
D
DukeCigars Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
D
Seems you don’t understand suicide. Happy to explain it to anybody who doesn’t understand it, first or second hand. Speaking about it is great therapy for me as well as I’m very connected to it.

Sincerely,

Suicide survivor who counsels the depressed and their loved ones to better understand the mentality behind it.

Car guy. Serial entrepreneur. Terrible golfer.
Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497316 01/07/22 10:44 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

No, never wondered. Usually when I read an obit it hopefully someone I know and can find out.

I have no issue with suicide, If I get old and terminal I plan on having a few cocktails and getting in my running car and in the garage with the doors closed and check out.

Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497320 01/07/22 10:52 AM
CodeEnforcer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
If you didn't know them personally enough before the obituary's came out to know cause of death, why would you go to their funeral?

This like the scene in Wedding Crashers, when they start crashing funerals?

Everything you ever wanted is on the other side of fear.......
Re: Obituaries [Re: CodeEnforcer] #8497332 01/07/22 11:37 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by CodeEnforcer
If you didn't know them personally enough before the obituary's came out to know cause of death, why would you go to their funeral?

My thought exactly.

Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497340 01/07/22 11:47 AM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
The Time Picayune always stated how they died. Mr. Antwon was stabbed seven times in the back in the 5th Ward.

One shot is all it should take.
Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497355 01/07/22 12:01 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
When I took the Dallas Morning Newspaper many, many moons ago I use to look at the Obit section and yes sometimes I wondered what people died from?
But I fully understand why they do not state the cause of death in a almost all of them.

texas flag

Re: Obituaries [Re: DukeCigars] #8497361 01/07/22 12:08 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DukeCigars
Seems you don’t understand suicide. Happy to explain it to anybody who doesn’t understand it, first or second hand. Speaking about it is great therapy for me as well as I’m very connected to it.

Sincerely,

Suicide survivor who counsels the depressed and their loved ones to better understand the mentality behind it.

I have to agree. I don't agree with suicide in a lot of situations, but I understand it more than I used to. I have worked a ton of suicides in my career, and the one thing I could never wrap my head around is what it took to take that last step of physically doing it. When my wife died, I learned that there are some types of pain that are so great that it can make a person think immediate death is the only way to end that pain. I now have a much better understanding of what might push some people to take their own life and I don't look at all suicides the same way anymore. Extreme grief and depression can make a person's brain work in a totally different way.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497364 01/07/22 12:09 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We occasionally get the Junction paper. At times, an obit can be quite entertaining and the small paper needs to fill up space, so there is no word limit. Some survivors that write one deserve a Pulitzer Prize for the way they carefully word the description of some old codger's life who was obviously a major pain in every person's buttocks that he came in contact with.

Last edited by Creekrunner; 01/07/22 12:10 PM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Obituaries [Re: Grizz] #8497368 01/07/22 12:16 PM
CodeEnforcer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted by Grizz

Sincerely,

I have to agree. I don't agree with suicide in a lot of situations, but I understand it more than I used to. I have worked a ton of suicides in my career, and the one thing I could never wrap my head around is what it took to take that last step of physically doing it. When my wife died, I learned that there are some types of pain that are so great that it can make a person think immediate death is the only way to end that pain. I now have a much better understanding of what might push some people to take their own life and I don't look at all suicides the same way anymore. Extreme grief and depression can make a person's brain work in a totally different way.

On a very personal note, I have been down in the pits in life, but I have always considered the option of suicide a semi "b" move. Kinda the same as giving up, or participation trophies, "you tried your best mentality" and also, biblically of course its a sin.

Saying that, lets say you were an orphan with no family history at all, and lost your wife and children in an auto accident, and were left all alone in this world with that heartbreak on your mind daily. I believe God would give someone a hallpass on that one..... The spectrum of depression for some is to easily judged by those that don't understand depression, simply because, they have always had a fairly happy life. Throwing stones type mentality.

Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497457 01/07/22 01:57 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Sometimes you have to lower your standards and do what is right, like support the family of the deceased while they are going through one of the worse times of their lives. I have never heard of any one picking and choosing which funeral they will attend based upon the cause of death.

Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497462 01/07/22 02:00 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
How they died is of no concern to me. Funerals are about the survivors, not the dead.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Obituaries [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8497475 01/07/22 02:05 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
“Coughlin’s Law: bury the dead, they stink up the place.”

Re: Obituaries [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8497478 01/07/22 02:06 PM
W
Wool E. Booger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
How they died is of no concern to me. Funerals are about the survivors, not the dead.

My thoughts exactly. I have told my wife it’s her choice what to do with me when I die. Funeral, cremation, hefty bag in the back yard, I don’t care, I won’t be here for it.

Re: Obituaries [Re: fadetoblack64] #8497485 01/07/22 02:10 PM
CodeEnforcer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted by fadetoblack64
“Coughlin’s Law: bury the dead, they stink up the place.”

Do you think that the loss of smell and taste experienced during Covid, was never regained, it would then make this not applicable anymore

Re: Obituaries [Re: BigPig] #8497499 01/07/22 02:15 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
It’s a good point

Re: Obituaries [Re: Grizz] #8497528 01/07/22 02:32 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

Sincerely,

Taking ones own life because they have a terminal disease or other severe ailment that they will have to live with or a person who may have tragically lost their family or loved one I have empathy for, who knows but them how bad the pain is and if it would ever be bearable??

I feel sorry for but do not agree with ones who take their lives only because of hard times. I also think it is wrong for people who condemn those that have not walked in their shoes.
i do not feel sorry for those who are a hole losers who do it just because it is an easy out.

I know several people who took their own lives, below is two that I was very close to.

Had a great childhood buddy nick named Coz, good looking funny as hell and the women loved him. The obvious problem was he let women drive him insane, the not so obvious problem we may never know?? He partied a whole lot and after his last break up he took his own life.

At his memorial a few of our friends showed up and all they wanted to do is bash him for being so selfish.
I told several of them this is not the time or place for that, we were here to remember our bud and the good times, they can be pissed later.

My oldest brother was a Heroin addict, the last time I saw him is when I came by to visit my mother and he was there stealing stuff to support his habit.
The next time I heard about him was Christmas eve night 1980, I got a phone call that he had hung himself inside I think it was the Hurst/Euless jail after he and another junkie buddy got busted for trying to rob a jewelry store. Love him but that was selfish!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stub; 01/07/22 02:34 PM.

texas flag

Re: Obituaries [Re: CodeEnforcer] #8497536 01/07/22 02:37 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by CodeEnforcer

Sincerely,

On a very personal note, I have been down in the pits in life, but I have always considered the option of suicide a semi "b" move. Kinda the same as giving up, or participation trophies, "you tried your best mentality" and also, biblically of course its a sin.

Saying that, lets say you were an orphan with no family history at all, and lost your wife and children in an auto accident, and were left all alone in this world with that heartbreak on your mind daily. I believe God would give someone a hallpass on that one..... The spectrum of depression for some is to easily judged by those that don't understand depression, simply because, they have always had a fairly happy life. Throwing stones type mentality.

I don't believe that God treats any one sin differently than another regardless of the person's situation. Sin is Sin. Regardless of whether your sin is using the lord's name in vain, or adultry, or Murder, or homosexuality, or taking your own life. Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins. People who have accepted Jesus still sin. They still commit adultry. They still use the lord's name in vain. Once you have accepted Jesus, you can't just stop sinning. Nobody has been able to accomplish that. I still don't understand suicide. But I do understand that suicide is not a one way ticket to hell. Jesus paid for that sin too.

Last edited by unclebubba; 01/07/22 02:40 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide