Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8401410 09/29/21 04:07 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by freerange
If I was in dfw area where would I go to see some pop ups that were already set up.

Some options, Cabela's in Ft Worth or Allen, Bass Pro in Grapevine, Scheels in Frisco or Field and Stream store near Prosper. All of those should have displays

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8401485 09/29/21 05:13 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks guys. Going right by Cabelas FW in just a bit on way to Bucees and all points North.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8401494 09/29/21 05:30 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’ve been a Double Bull user since they were created and I’ve been very happy with them. I’ve probably got a couple dozen of them in various models and may have more than that if the truth be told. As long as you take care of them and take them down after the season they will last well beyond the cheap models and still be in use a couple decades from now. I’m a firm believer buying quality over quantity and it’s proved me well in life. If I pay $400 for a blind today I expect it to still be in use 10 years from now and with the double bulls it’s well beyond that time frame. I’ve tried the cheaper knock offs and I’m lucky to get a year out of them so I resort back to the DB’s.

Keith Beams gave me my fist one a couple decades ago and I’ve been hooked ever since, I’ve killed more crap out of these things than I could ever recall. Buy once and cry once has always been my motto and it’s served me pretty good over the years.

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8401544 09/29/21 06:19 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thump I normally think like you but I never use pop ups and don’t intend to after this year. Just want to get through this year then plan to use more permanent blinds going forward. But I keep hearing the same from others so I guess the jury is still out on cheap vs good for this.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8401592 09/29/21 06:56 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Make your own out of one cattle panel and bend it into a round circle. Use either camo burlap or burlap to cover it. Then take grass or brush limbs and zip tie them to it for extra camo. You can even zip black plastic to the panel before you put the camo burlap over it.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8401598 09/29/21 06:59 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Thump I normally think like you but I never use pop ups and don’t intend to after this year. Just want to get through this year then plan to use more permanent blinds going forward. But I keep hearing the same from others so I guess the jury is still out on cheap vs good for this.

If it’s temporary then make a cattle panel blind, cheap and easy to make. Cut the panels to the size you want and wrap it in a tarp zip tie tying it to the panel and cover in cedar. Works like a champ and will last several years. I’ve used this method tons of times and it works like a champ. Check for snakes before entering though lol

Edit, Stxranchman nailed my version with a few exceptions, they work I promise and 1000% better than a pop up, if it’s a temporary solution then it’s my go to fix.. I killed a 180” out of a cattle panel blind 4 years ago so they work but brush them in good and the deer will walk on top of you..

Last edited by Ol Thumper; 09/29/21 07:09 PM.
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8401888 09/30/21 12:21 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Yep, I’ll be attaching it to a wooden platform on a rifle blind type tower. Not sure how I’m gonna attach but wind shouldn’t blow it away unless it rips out of however I attach it.

just fyi - we used many pop ups over the years - we would tie them down and stake them all over the place and then one storm comes through and they are laying out in the brush. I cannot image a pop up that is elevated on a stand that can withstand a strong wind - I may be wrong but I will be surprised if it makes the season - from my experience you or one of you hunters will walk up one morning to hunt and the pop up is nowhere to be found

Last edited by tlk; 09/30/21 12:22 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8402046 09/30/21 02:37 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
tlk, thanks, ill factor that in for sure.
STx and Thump, we have used cattle panels very similar to what yall described a whole lot. Not me cause I havent bow hunted till last year but lots of bowhunters on my NW Tx lease. They will try to find a mesquite or two to build around and then do the panels as you described. Black them out completely inside and cover completely sides and top. Then they put lots and lots of logs and brush all around. You can hardly tell they are there and lots of bucks killed from them. We have about 15 to 18 like that.
For my purpose of one years use on the raised platforms I just think it would be way easier to just throw a pop up on there instead of bending and building and covering etc. Certainly what yall describes works great for on the ground and permanent.

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8402881 09/30/21 11:55 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Have you bought or are you still going to be looking next season?

Asking for a friend… roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8402936 10/01/21 01:02 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thats not fair Hog. I am a spontaneous impulsive buyer, usually. Since ive retired I keep telling myself I have time to research stuff and take my time when I buy. Im making progress. It was extremely difficult to go into Cabelas yesterday and look at all the popups set up and not walk out with any. The towers arent ready yet anyway and I wont bowhunt till Dec probably. I am in somewhat of a rush cause we have one serious bow hunter and Im all about helping others. Mostly now that Ive shopped a little Im waiting to talk to him about what he thinks we should do. Im leaning the Ameristep Dog House $80ish and the size I want. The hubstyles look way sturdier and Cabelas had one for $100 but the door was on the corner and weird and these platforms are gonna mostly have ladders coming up the side kinda normal like. I dont think these popup designers planned for them to be up on platforms. Usually when I think Im ahead of the curve it turns out Im barking up the wrong tree, but we will see.

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8403691 10/01/21 09:16 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Thats not fair Hog. I am a spontaneous impulsive buyer, usually. Since ive retired I keep telling myself I have time to research stuff and take my time when I buy. Im making progress. It was extremely difficult to go into Cabelas yesterday and look at all the popups set up and not walk out with any. The towers arent ready yet anyway and I wont bowhunt till Dec probably. I am in somewhat of a rush cause we have one serious bow hunter and Im all about helping others. Mostly now that Ive shopped a little Im waiting to talk to him about what he thinks we should do. Im leaning the Ameristep Dog House $80ish and the size I want. The hubstyles look way sturdier and Cabelas had one for $100 but the door was on the corner and weird and these platforms are gonna mostly have ladders coming up the side kinda normal like. I dont think these popup designers planned for them to be up on platforms. Usually when I think Im ahead of the curve it turns out Im barking up the wrong tree, but we will see.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself…my apologies. roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8404233 10/02/21 03:25 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Here's one way to attach to platform with large washers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31IYX_J2m0E

I'm curious how a pop-up does at 20'. I've hunted plenty on the ground with success.

Last edited by Dodge_Rock; 10/02/21 03:27 PM.
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8404294 10/02/21 04:35 PM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
That blind is very similar to a doghouse as regards tying it down I like the foam pad or whatever as a floor. It keeps your feet a little warmer, blocks winter drafts and the seal it provides might decrease the wear and tear of the wind. Regardless of which blind you pick it looks like a good idea to me.

Last edited by Huskerron; 10/02/21 04:36 PM.
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8404804 10/03/21 01:53 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks for that video. Very similar to what I plan. Actually trying to think of somewhing to run along the whole side of popup to mash down and grab ahold without relying on whatever those little tabs are. Will definitely have carpet. Im thinking of maybe bending pvc pipe up and over and down again on each corner to tie onto and just to keep it from blowing away if it does rip out of the tie downs. tlk got me nervous about them ripping out of the tie downs.

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8405117 10/03/21 11:13 AM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Thanks for that video. Very similar to what I plan. Actually trying to think of somewhing to run along the whole side of popup to mash down and grab ahold without relying on whatever those little tabs are. Will definitely have carpet. Im thinking of maybe bending pvc pipe up and over and down again on each corner to tie onto and just to keep it from blowing away if it does rip out of the tie downs. tlk got me nervous about them ripping out of the tie downs.

If you have a cattle panel & bolt cutter, cut two strips & cross over the popup, attaching to base with unails & wire together at the top. That should keep your blind from migrating away with the first front. PVC is too weak.

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: Dodge_Rock] #8405791 10/03/21 10:00 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Dodge_Rock

If you have a cattle panel & bolt cutter, cut two strips & cross over the popup, attaching to base with unails & wire together at the top. That should keep your blind from migrating away with the first front. PVC is too weak.

That is a great idea!

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8406513 10/04/21 05:55 PM
K
Kodyjoe2016 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I second that on the Double Bull blind Ol Thumper. Friend of mine went to college with i believe Keith so he got me a good deal on one. Had a buddy give me one just like it last year and dont think he ever used it. Best thing they ever made for turkey hunting i believe. Used them plenty and no problems. ...

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8436078 11/01/21 08:17 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Freerange, did you ever get these blinds?

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8436126 11/01/21 09:09 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Not yet. Other hunter bought a couple. Still putting up the towers. Just been too busy getting other stuff ready. Long season so still looking to buy.

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8436317 11/02/21 12:28 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Not yet. Other hunter bought a couple. Still putting up the towers. Just been too busy getting other stuff ready. Long season so still looking to buy.

up

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8437883 11/03/21 03:03 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I don't think any pop up on an elevated tower would have with stood the last 2 weeks NW, N TX winds/storms. I lost a very good higher end large pop that was overstaked (extra heavy and long stakes, tied down too, hubs with outbound lines anchored and brushed in. Still haven't found it and fear it became up drafted and who know's were across our rolling hills and many draws. I've walked walked and walked hoping to find it because if hubs survived I can re drape it with a good heavy duty black trucker tarp or billboard tarp.

DoubleBull will be my next purchase. I also have a Rhino that I really like. I like the heavy materials like these two blinds and stay away from the plastic type.

I'd like to see pic when you put one up on the tower

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8437902 11/03/21 03:20 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im new to popups and yall have me worried about them blowing away. We put one on a 6' tower and it did fine in extreme winds, 25mph for two days with gusts of 50. This weekend we hope to put up a 19', 15' and maybe 10', all to the floor. We will see.
Im curious, when they blow away, is it the stakes that pull out? Does the cord or wire or whatever break? Does it pull out of whatever its attached to on the blind? We would be attaching to the tower itself, so no stakes to pull out.
For anyone thats been following, this is intended as a one year fix and next year a more permanent enclosure will be on the towers.

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8438016 11/03/21 05:22 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Depending on the quality of the blinds once the material ages some in the sun they will blow away much easier and if you mix in any snow or ice along with a touch of wind their toast eventually. I just replaced 3 this weekend that had been out for a few months the wind got last week. It all depends on the quality of the material, the age and the right weather conditions. I only use cheaper blinds out in the open and my good ones in heavily wooded areas.

I’d damn sure be adding some type of safety rail inside them if their going up to 19’,, you don’t walk away from falls at that height and I can 100% vouch for that lol

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8442089 11/08/21 02:53 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Somebody had asked for pics. Total failure at 20’ so switched out to shorter legs and ended up 13’ish to floor.
Still perfecting the whole design but maybe next year. I’ve learned a good bit about pops and they are not all the same and definitely don’t have towers in mind in how they do the doors. Always learning and “forever foreword”.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pop up blinds- Im shopping [Re: freerange] #8442657 11/08/21 06:08 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
One addition i would make for sure is a “landing platform” for the door side. It makes it so much safer to go in and out any door if you have a solid platform to stand on, preferably with a rail on the sides.

Overall though, good work on a job that is being figured out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide