Print Thread
Home care newbie with questions #8432412 10/28/21 04:21 PM
J
J.R. Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Hoping to get some guidance from those with experience...

I had to bring my Dad from Vancouver, Wa. to Texas a couple months ago after his health failed. He's back to "as good as he's gonna get" and wants to go back home to Vancouver, but he's never going to be completely independent again. We need someone to come in every other day, or so, and do some light meal prep, laundry, light grocery shopping, and some light cleaning. (He'll be paying for this out of his own pocket.)

There are many listings in his area. I'm going to insist that the company be bonded, but what else should I be asking these companies before we make our selection? Red flags I should watch for?

Thanks for any guidance!

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: J.R.] #8432443 10/28/21 04:51 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Look for a full service Home Health company that also employees actual nurses and possibly therapy techs along with their aids. They should come out and give him a thorough assessment and then recommend a care plan. They should also have a regular schedule to review and reassess that care plan.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: J.R.] #8432472 10/28/21 05:10 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
I know you said he's doing this out-of-pocket but does he have an insurance plan that will pay for any of it?

When my MIL began to need help we discovered her insurance plan did cover it, but had a very high deductible. We made the mistake of just paying out of pocket and hiring whomever in the beginning believing those expenses could be applied to the deducible. Turns out the company we started with wasn't classified correctly as a "home care company" and that cost us a lot $$$ in the long run.

Also.. with him being so far away, I'd highly suggest daily drop-ins, even if its for a few minutes. Makes a big peace of mind difference. Just my .02 cents.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: J.R.] #8432479 10/28/21 05:20 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Vdteran?

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: J.R.] #8432487 10/28/21 05:38 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
My grandma found this through her church. I think she paid around $50 a day on the days they cleaned the house.

Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: J.R.] #8432516 10/28/21 06:17 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Need to have a serious talk with Dad about:
is his Will up to date? Anything he wants to or needs to change. Executor.
Medical Directives, DNR, Medical Power of Attorney
Durable/General Power of Attorney.
Co-Signers on Bank Accts. Lots of the big banks don't care if you are the Executor and have the PoA they will put up road blocks.

If he is going to be staying here in Texas get him a Texas DL or ID. Do it before his current DL or ID expires. If he is staying in WA check when DL or ID expires and check on renewing prior to current expiration.

Contact a few care facilities or rehab centers and ask if they can recommend anyone.

Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: J.R.] #8432520 10/28/21 06:24 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Hide all valuables

Don’t let them use his cc. Monitor it

Hidden cameras

Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: Brother in-law] #8432535 10/28/21 06:43 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Hide all valuables

Don’t let them use his cc. Monitor it

Hidden cameras

Originally Posted by Hunt Dog
Need to have a serious talk with Dad about:
is his Will up to date? Anything he wants to or needs to change. Executor.
Medical Directives, DNR, Medical Power of Attorney
Durable/General Power of Attorney.
Co-Signers on Bank Accts. Lots of the big banks don't care if you are the Executor and have the PoA they will put up road blocks.

If he is going to be staying here in Texas get him a Texas DL or ID. Do it before his current DL or ID expires. If he is staying in WA check when DL or ID expires and check on renewing prior to current expiration.

Contact a few care facilities or rehab centers and ask if they can recommend anyone.

What these two guys said... Did it for my father and all of the above were 100% true. Talk with your doc about Hospice care, it's not so much "the last step" as it is a method of care.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: J.R.] #8432723 10/28/21 10:50 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Meals on wheels might be helpful, also, like he said, monitor the credit cards, checking account, and personal belongings, as much as possible.
Check the reviews on any company he employs.

Last edited by retfuz; 10/28/21 10:52 PM.
Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: J.R.] #8432800 10/29/21 12:34 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
OP, If your dad is a veteran and served during wartime he may can qualify for a VA benefit. Deployment wasn't required. Even if they served stateside during a war they may can qualify.

It is called Veteran's Aid and Attendance, (not Assistance, but Attendance). It is under the pension department of the VA. Qualifications are similar to Medicaid, such as maximum assets, etc. A VA rep. can give you the scoop on it.

Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: J.R.] #8433189 10/29/21 01:21 PM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
The same thing happened to my Dad a few years ago. I got a home health care company and meals on wheels. They both were there every day. Medicare paid 100% to the care company. The meals on wheels lady found my Dad laying on the floor from falling. She got him up. If she hadn't found him he would have died. After that he agreed to go into a nursing home. If he does go back to living by himself make sure he gets one of those things to wear around his neck so he can push the button to get help. He can also keep a phone in his pocket to call for help. It really tough to see your parents need help. Good luck.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Home care newbie with questions [Re: J.R.] #8433298 10/29/21 02:52 PM
J
J.R. Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Thanks for the guidance, everyone. No, Dad's not former military, so no help coming from that. My understanding from Medicare is that they'll pay for home services like cleaning & cooking for a while as long as he's "getting better" or they'll pay for hospice. Neither fits. He's as well as he's ever going to get, but he can't do much even with his O2 machine cranked way up.

I'll certianly look into meals on wheels. Then we'll see about one of the many registered services coming in for more than that. I already cleared his house of all valuables, as I knew it would be empty for several weeks and the entire neighborhood watched him get hauled away in an ambulance, so everyone KNEW it was empty.

Thanks again, folks. This has been a big help.

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide