Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,917
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8407447 10/05/21 03:25 PM
BigRon Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I'm about a year from 60. Grew up deer hunting in front of dogs in North Louisiana. It was fast paced and I loved it. Still and stand hunted in Texas for many years and loved every minute of it. I was blessed to be stationed in Idaho for Uncle Sugar and the hunting was wonderful for mule deer, elk, pheasant and black bear.

For maybe the last ten years, mostly all I spend time hunting is nuisance vermin: hogs, raccoons and coyotes. I like possum so I shoot one or two around Christmas for possum tacos. I cook squirrel when the sons or grandkids shoot them. I enjoy helping the kids get their deer, especially their first. I probably will never go on a big time hunt again as the interest in killing a trophy animal has faded for me. I'll hunt varmints and that is enjoyable. I'll keep taking kids hunting because that is incredibly fun.

God is so good to me.
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8407532 10/05/21 05:28 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Shot my first whitetail 36 years ago. Turkey, dove followed pretty quickly. Was shooting jackrabbits and varmints before that. Frankly, I still enjoy shooting lots of things. But I've cooled off a little. I really enjoy having new hunters get the thrill of the outdoors and of the kill when that's what they want to do. Enjoy taking my kids and their friends.

I've just started adding in some western hunts. Shot my first pronghorn last year. Heading west for mule deer this year. Elk will be on the menu next couple years. Stacking up points slowly - for my son, too, which he can use once he's done with football in the fall. Will be a nice surprise for him. Now he's a little swole up when I go on the rare hunt without him - he's been spoiled by all the good hunting and fishing trips I've taken him on. I want to slowly work my way through pretty much every North American big game animal through a variety of places/terrain and then maybe look across the pond. I'm a little less interested in that for whatever reason. But at this point I want to add new experiences and places. And do it with friends and bring along my boy and his buddies and my friends' kids at their pace.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8408038 10/06/21 01:55 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Before this coming season is over i will be 80. Like others have said it is a pleasure to see the kids get their animals and experience what started for me long ago. I still have the desire to kill animals and particularly a nice buck. I might have a bit more patience now than earlier years...it is easier to wait for a good buck now. I usually hunt part of every week during the season and don't see this changing in my lifetime. Good Lord willing.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8408552 10/06/21 03:10 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
For me it has become all about the hunt now and much less about the kill.
I will still kill one that trips my trigger but don't feel the need to do it any more nearly as much. Hell, I'm hoping my son can get off work enough to fill all my tags at my lease to be honest because there is nothing whitetail wise that has me itching to squeeze one off at yet.
Now let an axis of elk walk out and that may change my tune drastically.
A hog.......IT'S DEAD EVERY TIME!

I enjoyed having hunters kill deer with me when I was guiding every bit as much as if I'd been the one squeezing the trigger and love watching kids get one.
We still love eating them and hope to fill the freezer with venison this season but honestly would rather let my son squeeze the trigger.

I've been fortunate to kill a ton of deer over my life and I guess I'm just not very angry with them any more.
lmao

Now, if I do set up a bow stand and pull down the stick and string I may all of a sudden get a little more angry again. lol

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: txtrophy85] #8408572 10/06/21 03:26 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by Jimbo
It's not so much you have changed, but it's that the world has changed more drastically than you have.
There was more people living the rural life, and more land was available, less cost, and hunting and fishing was more acceptable and popular as recreation.
The reason a lot of the older guys have lost that desire is that it's just not the same, and those days have passed and won't ever come back, so you live with the content memory of those past hunts.
If you are younger than 50 you probably won't agree, having not experienced what it was like back in the day.

by and large the "hunting camp" era has gone away for most. It started to taper out in the last 20 years and really took a dive in the last 10. I think as many or more people are still hunting in Texas but the deer camp vibe is all but over. And that sucks....hunting in most places has gotten better, but the camp aspect sucks.

Fortunately, that’s not the case on our lease. We had 3 of the 5 hunters out there this past weekend and we are all good friends and enjoy getting together. We ate well and had nice campfires to sit by and enjoy our adult beverages. We all 3 brought our lady companions out also along with my dog (whom i took in earlier this year from a THF member looking to get this stray into a good home). For me, that has as much value as the actual hunting part.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8409425 10/07/21 11:34 AM
C
Catperch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
Glad to see this post. Thought it was just me. I still love hunting but really doubt I would go through the trouble of what I do now if it wasn't for my son. Several posts above described how I feel about it. As I've gotten older I can no longer find the motivation to drive half a day out west to deer hunt or bird hunt. I'd love to if I was closer and used to drive out at the drop of a hat, but now I just hunt locally. Part of this I believe is starting my own business and not having the energy anymore. Priorities changed.. However, now I get just as excited to put my son on game, and most of all, enjoy staying in the camper at the lease with the family more than the hunt. I've been lucky to find a place that I keep just for my family so that's where we go to get away from society.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: Kelulu] #8409859 10/07/21 07:50 PM
D
dawgkllr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Great videos! I think it's Rhett that I remember from when Ron Wilkey and I hunted with you.

Originally Posted by Kelulu
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Most of us who grow up with it start out as stone cold animal slaughterhouses. If you don’t slow down some from that then something is probably wrong with you.
I was still pretty amped up to kill something while I was in my 30s though. Gradually came to value the experience as much taking an animal, then moreso. I am not mad at the whitetails anymore but do try like heck to get a good animal on hunts out west/up north, while at the same time slowing down and enjoying the ride.
I have about decided about the time you finally learn how to really enjoy mountain hunting, you are about too old to do it. 😊

Bird hunting with a wonderful pup has been an unexpected Godsend to me and taught me a whole bunch about just enjoying the moments.

Early in life I viewed all my hunting endeavors as a contest. If you do something enough to get even marginally good at it that thing will lose a little bit of the original challenge. Such it was with me and hunting. I went from relaxing about the killing to eventually avoiding the kill.

I must add that I don't begrudge others the love of the kill. In fact I've learned to take a lot of pleasure from watching others get satisfaction afield in whatever form that takes. Taking a kid or first time hunter afield is probably more satisfying than the actual killing used to be.

Bird hunting is my exception. I love it. Mainly I love my dogs and they love it. When I was younger shooting a limit was a primary focus whereas today I generally shoot a bird only when my dogs make the find and handle the birds correctly on the ground. Wild flush birds get to fly away. I know almost as many bird dogs as I do bird hunters and am just as happy to see the dogs every fall as I am their owners. A lifetime of bird dogs has lead me to memories beyond count and a knowledge that all wonderful things end too quickly. If you want to relearn a love of the outdoors get yourself a pup!

That old crackheaded commie (Bernie Sanders) has lost his damn mind.. in 1983
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: txtrophy85] #8410072 10/07/21 10:49 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
It's not so much you have changed, but it's that the world has changed more drastically than you have.
There was more people living the rural life, and more land was available, less cost, and hunting and fishing was more acceptable and popular as recreation.
The reason a lot of the older guys have lost that desire is that it's just not the same, and those days have passed and won't ever come back, so you live with the content memory of those past hunts.
If you are younger than 50 you probably won't agree, having not experienced what it was like back in the day.

by and large the "hunting camp" era has gone away for most. It started to taper out in the last 20 years and really took a dive in the last 10. I think as many or more people are still hunting in Texas but the deer camp vibe is all but over. And that sucks....hunting in most places has gotten better, but the camp aspect sucks.

TxTro, I know youre plugged in pretty good so I say this with due respect. Im not seeing that the "hunting camp" era has gone away. Maybe we dont have the same definition of "hunting camp" or "camp aspect." The clothes and weapons etc have changed and a lot of the goals but the camp is still there. At least it is for me. We have 18 on one lease and 4 of the other and everyone is always hanging out, helping out and sharing stories etc. Lots of the guys on here are always mentioning going to the lease with the guys and sharing stories about what all happened with the group and the kids etc.
If anything, the popularity of the game cameras has given a lot of guys hunting the same area/lease a good reason to communicate more. Also the prevalence of game management has driven the need to communicate and work together more. Certainly not arguing, but just wondering if Im wrong or what Im missing. "Deer camp" is alive and well in my world.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: freerange] #8410132 10/07/21 11:45 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by freerange

TxTro, I know youre plugged in pretty good so I say this with due respect. Im not seeing that the "hunting camp" era has gone away. Maybe we dont have the same definition of "hunting camp" or "camp aspect." The clothes and weapons etc have changed and a lot of the goals but the camp is still there. At least it is for me. We have 18 on one lease and 4 of the other and everyone is always hanging out, helping out and sharing stories etc. Lots of the guys on here are always mentioning going to the lease with the guys and sharing stories about what all happened with the group and the kids etc.
If anything, the popularity of the game cameras has given a lot of guys hunting the same area/lease a good reason to communicate more. Also the prevalence of game management has driven the need to communicate and work together more. Certainly not arguing, but just wondering if Im wrong or what Im missing. "Deer camp" is alive and well in my world.

If you have that on your leases then that is great. From what I have seen in the last 10 years it’s a dying tradition. The camp life, the campfires, bs being thrown around, it’s dying out. I see it every season.

People are still hunting in great numbers but it’s more focused on just the game rather than the overall atmosphere. The social aspect has taken a big dive. It happened to our camp simply due to the fact people got old. The new generation just didn’t carry the torch.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8410149 10/08/21 12:18 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Our camp is closer then ever. Great camp life. Great times. Kids love it

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8410156 10/08/21 12:27 AM
G
Giblett Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Way more into handgun hunting now and more focused on a good deer to go after instead of just shooting the first decent one that comes by. When my son was younger I would always let him have first chance at the deer and great enjoyment getting everything ready. Going on my first mule deer hunt next month in Colorado he bought me a tag so I guess he is gonna get to guide the old man around. Sure hope I can get in range of one with the 44 mag. Wish my step kids like to hunt. I could teach them a lot but no dice so far. Video games rule

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8410187 10/08/21 12:53 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I was a serious whitetail deer hunter back before it turned into sitting in a blind on small acerage . I don’t care for blind hunting and could care less if I ever shoot another one. I go deer hunting to drink beer with old friends. I let my boys do the killing, but enjoy watching them get fired up.

Hunting bird and training dogs is what I love. I’ve enjoyed doing that for 40 years and don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8410236 10/08/21 01:35 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Thanks, Bobo. I was getting worried. On the big lease I needed to add one hunter for this past season and its the first time Ive gotten someone from off this forum. He looks to really fit in great. He came to a couple work days and he really fit in great. He liked our guys and our guys really liked him. No one knew each other before that. Opening weekend of bow he came out with his daughter and SIL and it was mostly just to hang out with the guys and to learn the place and meet more of the guys. They did some pig hunting with a crossbow and his daughter killed what I think was our biggest hog in 15 years. It weighed 265. Him and family had a blast and a lot of it was the camp life with people he didnt know at all 2 months ago. Hes mostly about family and comraderie and he appears to love it. We have always had a decent number of kids and wives but that has really been growing.
I guess this is all off topic a little but I dont understand if hunters are still on leases with other hunters then where do they camp if not together and are there really very many camps where the hunters dont hang out at all? Once again this may be off topic a little so no one needs to answer that.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8410262 10/08/21 02:11 AM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Camp life is still alive and well at our lease, and many of us comment on the comradery being as or more important than the actual hunt. We have 10 on our lease with ages ranging from 40-80, and we actively practice the art of story telling from generation to generation, politics a few beers in, and the art of helping others expecting nothing in return.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: freerange] #8410268 10/08/21 02:18 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Thanks, Bobo. I was getting worried. On the big lease I needed to add one hunter for this past season and its the first time Ive gotten someone from off this forum. He looks to really fit in great. He came to a couple work days and he really fit in great. He liked our guys and our guys really liked him. No one knew each other before that. Opening weekend of bow he came out with his daughter and SIL and it was mostly just to hang out with the guys and to learn the place and meet more of the guys. They did some pig hunting with a crossbow and his daughter killed what I think was our biggest hog in 15 years. It weighed 265. Him and family had a blast and a lot of it was the camp life with people he didnt know at all 2 months ago. Hes mostly about family and comraderie and he appears to love it. We have always had a decent number of kids and wives but that has really been growing.
I guess this is all off topic a little but I dont understand if hunters are still on leases with other hunters then where do they camp if not together and are there really very many camps where the hunters dont hang out at all? Once again this may be off topic a little so no one needs to answer that.

90% our lease members have kids, the entire lease works harder to find the right deer for kids then we do ourselves.

Thanksgiving we have a huge cook out. Probably 50 plus pounds of crappie, 20lbs of hush puppies etc. Kids have an absolute blast, they trash talk and then genuinely give huge hugs when there peers get a deer. One thanksgiving the kids had over 20 deer hanging in the cooler.

This Lease is 100% about family and friends first and foremost. If that’s not your priority, wrong lease for you.

Now a big chunk of our lease members do hunt a lot of other places and states also, so it maybe easier for some of those priorities to fluctuate/give more due to that. Also 98% of us hang out together outside the lease also. Think only 3 out of 16 don’t, they been on the lease the longest though.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide