Print Thread
RICO Bravo or Super Hogster #8334248 07/28/21 08:25 PM
D
dustyhog Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Wanting to take next step up in thermal scopes from the Hogster r35 to one of the new Iray rico Bravo or the proven Super Hogster. Looks like the Super Hogster runs a few hundred less with basically the same features .

Get a better warranty than the Hogster 4 years vs 5 years.

Not sure which has the best display screen and image.

Idea's?

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8335801 07/30/21 12:21 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
We'll have the Bravo's in a few days and I'll let you know. My gut says they will look identical or very close to it. I'm curious what the Bravo menu will be like....if it's different it could be easier to use than the Super Hogster but we'll have to see. From what we can tell the displays look the same and they are for sure both the same display resolution according to the specs.

What we know for now is you'll get an extra year of warranty with a 5 business day repair/replace policy with the Bravo, an American Defense QD mount, a USB battery connection and a really cool gray housing, if that matters to you. Assuming everything else is equal, the question becomes if the Bravo features are worth $375 more to you.

I'm exciting to get my hands on it and run it beside the Super Hogster to see how it performs.

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8336224 07/30/21 01:38 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
After yanking my battery pack power/video out cord out a couple dozen times in a year I consider the built in magnetic USB port on the Bravo is a significant selling point.

I'm sure I'm not alone because at times I've seen everyone else I hunt with struggle with it at times on the Bering line & Rattlers.

Is that, a better mount, and an extra year of warranty worth $375?

Internal video compression and degradation may be important in the decision too if video is important to you.

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: Dzhitshard] #8336340 07/30/21 03:12 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Dzhitshard
After yanking my battery pack power/video out cord out a couple dozen times in a year I consider the built in magnetic USB port on the Bravo is a significant selling point.

I'm sure I'm not alone because at times I've seen everyone else I hunt with struggle with it at times on the Bering line & Rattlers.

Internal video compression and degradation may be important in the decision too if video is important to you.

Quit running and gunning !

aim

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 07/30/21 03:12 PM.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: Pig_Popper] #8336487 07/30/21 05:29 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
Originally Posted by Dzhitshard

aim

lol, No Problem.
It aint my thing. If someone wants to and it's safe more power to them, but I don't play army man any more. I had plenty of it in real life so I'll leave that run n gun piggin stuff for the guys living out their fantasies.

However, we do move and dismount a lot, rinse and repeat.

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8336626 07/30/21 08:13 PM
G
Graycard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G

At my age running and gunning is long gone.
But I can do a mean "shuffle and shoot!"

Jason, I'll be one waiting for your thoughts.

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8338736 08/02/21 01:11 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

$ 3499

They IMPROVED the design of the product (RL42 China import) and LOWERED the price by $ 500.

That’s pretty crazy and for 1k less than a 640 unit it can be a viable product with its 5 year warranty.

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 08/02/21 01:14 PM.

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8339185 08/02/21 06:46 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

Relink to video

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8339666 08/03/21 03:25 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Bravo ordered : will update when it arrives

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8367636 08/29/21 03:22 PM
H
HLo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Any update or video on the Bravo? Curious about this scope.

HLo
Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8367712 08/29/21 04:22 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
STILL waiting on receipt of mine - going on 3 weeks since I placed the order

Here is a video from a guy off a Facebook thread:

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8368837 08/30/21 03:09 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
FYI we have extra Bravos in stock that are being inventoried now and they should be ready to ship tomorrow (8/31).

So our initial suspicions were true. I've been running the Bravo side by side with the Super Hogster and the image quality is identical. I believe the Bravo's menu and button layout is a little easier to use and more intuitive, the exterior design and build is awesome, the best I've ever seen on a thermal scope and the magnetic USB connections are great. Being a huge fan of American Defense, I knew I'd love the mount.

So what it boils down to is exactly what I posted above. The Super Hogster and the Bravo function as the same basic scope and I believe for the dollar, the Super Hogster is a real bargain, it will continue to sell extremely well as it should. For guys who are willing to spend a little more to get more, the Bravo is an awesome scope with some fantastic options, including the 5 year warranty and it's definitely going to be a very sought after scope this fall and winter, no doubt about it.

We'll be reviewing the Bravo this week on The Late Night Vision Show and that episode will be available Thursday (9/2)

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8373715 09/03/21 03:44 PM
H
HLo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Thanks Jason. From what I recall the Super Hogster App does not work with I-phones correct? Does the Iray Bravo or Rico work with I-Phones and does the app work well? Stream vision App with my photon works pretty good but loses connection sometimes being only 1' away from my scope. The AGM App works great with the Taipan monocular and has good range without disconnecting (Like 10-15 yards).

Lastly, on the Bravo or Rico can any cell phone battery backup be used externally for the scope or must it be purchased from Iray? 2-1/2 to 3 hour battery life is not very long.

Thanks,

HLo
Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: HLo] #8376610 09/06/21 05:34 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by HLo
Thanks Jason. From what I recall the Super Hogster App does not work with I-phones correct? Does the Iray Bravo or Rico work with I-Phones and does the app work well? Stream vision App with my photon works pretty good but loses connection sometimes being only 1' away from my scope. The AGM App works great with the Taipan monocular and has good range without disconnecting (Like 10-15 yards).

Lastly, on the Bravo or Rico can any cell phone battery backup be used externally for the scope or must it be purchased from Iray? 2-1/2 to 3 hour battery life is not very long.

The Infiray Outdoor app works with both iPhones and Androids and it works extremely well, it's probably one of the best apps ever made. Admittedly I don't use the apps much at all but I've tested the Infiray app and it was super easy and reliable and the feedback we've received on it has been 100% positive. The same Infiray Outdoor app also works perfectly with the Super Hogster. I'll let you do the math on that one.lol

Yes sir, any standard USB battery pack will run any current thermal or NV scope on the market from all the major brands, except Trijicon. No issues at all there with the iRay's, so you can hunt all night long on a good external USB battery.

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8376611 09/06/21 05:35 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Our review from The Late Night Vision Show. Hans will be releasing his review in a few weeks.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8380102 09/09/21 09:49 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I received my unit today - I don’t get hyped up on “unboxing” scopes but thought I’d share a few photos because this retail package is actually pretty nice looking

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First impressions of the unit based on looking around the house yard

1) the eye box is small on this unit - the sweet spot whatever you want to call it, your eye must be in a particular place otherwise it appears blurry

2) the rear eyepiece has a dark spot in the center of the lens it’s noticeable on start up and less so when running the unit

3) the screen feels small , I spend a lot of time behind a lot of thermals and digitals. This feels like the smallest screen I’ve encountered

4) when your eye is lined up perfectly and the image is focused perfectly - the unit produces an outstanding image.
If one didn’t know better you’d guess it was a 640 but again that could just be due to the smaller screen….

5) all the image modes and settings seem to offer quite an array of various image types (contrast / brightness / sharpness). It should suit alot of folks preferred image characteristics

More to follow

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8382352 09/11/21 11:28 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
So I found a menu error in the Rico Bravo

Reticle type and reticle color menu headings are switched

Do I win a prize

chicken

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8383043 09/12/21 06:50 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

First range trip today, great weather, bagged front and back at 100 yards.

I mounted the Bravo w AdM mount on the first available rail (furthest back) in fact a little of the rear of the adm is not contacting the rifle rail. I find that I’m still having the crane my neck forward to get a full view of the screen. So I would not recommend the Bravo on a bolt action rifle.

I had to bore sight to get on paper at 25 yards.

When working on zero refinements at 100 yards I was using 3x native magnification with 6x Picture in Picture , made some x/y adjustments and then bumped up the magnification to 6x and 12x pip. This is when I realized that the x/y coordinates change based on the base magnification you’re using - zoom sensitive zeroing ! This is not new and is supposed to give you the most accurate tracking of zero changes - below are photos of the x/y coordinates showing different values based on the base magnification number on the HUD.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So quick tip - regardless of the magnification that you’re on when you enter the zeroing menu to adjust x/y the scope bumps you back down to 3x mag when you save the adjustments. This I don’t like because novice or beginners will end up getting confused on their zero coordinates. Just be mindful that as you’re zeroing you try to use consistent practices when making adjustments.

So within 9 shots I’m zeroed and deadly accurate. The rifle / Ammo / scope / and shooter all seemed to consistently group 3 shot sets until settling on a final x/y value.

[Linked Image]

Last foot note on the range session - the front scope cover fell off twice under recoil . 308 isn’t that bad , in fact I think these scopes are spec’ed to go up to 338 or 300 win mag.

Anyhow in my opinion and assessment the scope cover is too loose and so hopefully you’ll find a way to tighten it up otherwise you’ll be ordering a new one ….

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8384028 09/13/21 05:33 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8548558 03/05/22 05:45 PM
A
awpk03s Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Any other feedback on the iRay Rico Bravo?
I’m nervous about the small eye box comment above…

Thanks!

Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: awpk03s] #8549960 03/07/22 01:37 PM
H
HLo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I don't have a lot of experience looking through different thermal and I purchased a Bravo. I looked through my friends Rattler 35 and his screen did appear a little bigger immediately to me. After some further research I could never find any information on the actual screen sizes but did find that his eye relief is a little better on the Rattler and removing my rubber eye piece on the Bravo and getting a little closer to the scope fixed any concerns I had. Image is pretty amazing and I can identify small animals etc. a long way off. Deer at 600+ yards pretty easily. Not many places to try out before you buy where I live. Like anything else, you get used to what your equipment is and it becomes comfortable. I went back and looked through my Sightmark Photon and again the screen size does appear bigger but not near as awesome to look through. Curious what others say. I have a feeling also the screen position inside the scope has something to do with all of this but not sure. Similar review / comments regarding the Bolt but everyone that owns them never says a word about it. They are happy with them.

Last edited by HLo; 03/07/22 01:39 PM.

HLo
Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8554959 03/13/22 02:33 AM
R
reeder05 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
These are the two that I have narrowed it down to, so following this thread closely.

Thanks fellas!!

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Wife has always wanted some Hard 8
Re: RICO Bravo or Super Hogster [Re: dustyhog] #8555757 03/14/22 12:56 AM
T
Tex44 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I have the Rico Bravo, and I love it. I spent several months researching different brands and models of thermal scopes. I listened to as many podcasts as I could to try and educate myself about each. After looking at so many and their pros and cons, my gut just kept coming back to the Rico Bravo. I wanted a thermal that had great picture quality without bumping up to $5k for 640 res. (Now there are 640 sub $4k, I know.). I also needed something that fit my hunting situation. I hunt big fields, and I have feeders, too. But, the majority of my hog and coyote hunting would be on the fields. The 3x base mag fit me best bc I don’t have to zoom in and lose picture quality. I can still move up close, but I don’t have to if I don’t want to. The picture quality is awesome! The app is great, too. The warranty was also a factor. 5 year/5 day turnaround is the best in the business. I also wanted a scope with a small profile, so it obviously hit that mark as well. I have zero regret and would go the same exact route again.

Go with what works for you and your situation.

Hope that helps!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide