Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8449920 11/16/21 02:56 AM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Yep I can’t blame you there. Me and some of my other small business friends have had bad experiences with PayPal. Place is a joke. Closing down your business on a whim should not be allowed by anyone without at least some notice.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: Jimbo1] #8456348 11/22/21 07:28 PM
J
Jesse Griffiths Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Was going to order one today only to find out they only accept PayPal. To their credit, I emailed them about it and they quickly responded but I'm a hard NO on PayPal. Guess I'll find a different book.

Jimbo, you can skip PayPal at thehogbook.com and pay with Stripe instead. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Also, there's a Black Friday Sale starting on 11/23 until 11/26 where everyone can get $10 off the book, $5 off the charcoal hats and $5 off any shirt. Thanks!

Jesse Griffiths

author of The Turkey Book, The Hog Book and Afield
@thewildbooks.com @daidue.com
Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8456412 11/22/21 08:16 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I got mine Friday! Been enjoying reading it the past couple days

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: The Hog Book [Re: Jesse Griffiths] #8456523 11/22/21 10:49 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by panKo
Was going to order one today only to find out they only accept PayPal. To their credit, I emailed them about it and they quickly responded but I'm a hard NO on PayPal. Guess I'll find a different book.

Jimbo, you can skip PayPal at thehogbook.com and pay with Stripe instead. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Also, there's a Black Friday Sale starting on 11/23 until 11/26 where everyone can get $10 off the book, $5 off the charcoal hats and $5 off any shirt. Thanks!

Jesse Griffiths

Oh wow, thanks for the update. I just placed my order. Looking forward to reading it.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8456526 11/22/21 10:54 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Hmm, being around Austin I wonder if I could simply drop by the restaurant some time to get one and save the shipping costs.
--

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: The Hog Book [Re: Jesse Griffiths] #8464565 12/02/21 04:17 PM
M
MeanGreen85 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Thanks for all of the interest and feedback on the book. I'm the author (a daily reader of THF, but random poster) and would love to answer any questions y'all have about the book or hog cookery in general.

The book is available on thehogbook.com only, as it is self-published and self-distributed. It's 420 pages of hog hunting, skinning, gutting, butchery (4 different butchery sequences for small, medium, large sow and large boar) and over 115 recipes for hogs including whole hogs, brining, sausage, curing, slow cooking, grilling, smoking and offal.

Again, your support is greatly appreciated and looking forward to seeing what y'all make!

Jesse Griffiths

No joking this might be the nicest "cookbook" I've ever seen - from the print quality, content, photographs, index, etc... y'all did everything right. I'm more than happy to support your effort.

The Chorizo Verde and charro beans were fantastic, too. I'll keep bumping this with more updates as I try out more recipes.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: Jesse Griffiths] #8464613 12/02/21 05:24 PM
M
mbavo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
M
Thanks for all of the interest and feedback on the book. I'm the author (a daily reader of THF, but random poster) and would love to answer any questions y'all have about the book or hog cookery in general.

The book is available on thehogbook.com only, as it is self-published and self-distributed. It's 420 pages of hog hunting, skinning, gutting, butchery (4 different butchery sequences for small, medium, large sow and large boar) and over 115 recipes for hogs including whole hogs, brining, sausage, curing, slow cooking, grilling, smoking and offal.

Again, your support is greatly appreciated and looking forward to seeing what y'all make!

Jesse Griffiths

Thanks for adding the pay with credit card option.
Just ordered my book, looking forward to it.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8469103 12/07/21 10:48 PM
J
Jesse Griffiths Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by MeanGreen85

Jesse Griffiths

No joking this might be the nicest "cookbook" I've ever seen - from the print quality, content, photographs, index, etc... y'all did everything right. I'm more than happy to support your effort.

The Chorizo Verde and charro beans were fantastic, too. I'll keep bumping this with more updates as I try out more recipes.

Thank you so much for the feedback! The Chorizo Verde is my favorite. Hope to put a hog on the ground this weekend and make a bunch of it.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: Jesse Griffiths] #8469140 12/07/21 11:20 PM
M
mbavo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
M
Just received The Hog Book!
Very nicely done!
Can’t wait to read it and try some of the recipes!

Re: The Hog Book [Re: mbavo] #8469195 12/08/21 12:10 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by mbavo
Very nicely done!

Got mine a couple days ago too. Very nicely done...indeed!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: The Hog Book [Re: Jimbo1] #8469306 12/08/21 02:23 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by mbavo
Very nicely done!

Got mine a couple days ago too. Very nicely done...indeed!

I’ve been reading mine and thoroughly enjoying it….

I had no intentions of ever skinning another hog…seriously reconsidering that position.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8474910 12/14/21 01:18 AM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
It might be a good book, but $50 is too much IMO.

I'll just watch youtube videos.

JR

Re: The Hog Book [Re: jrgocards] #8475016 12/14/21 03:12 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by jrgocards

JR

More than a fair price IMHO considering what all is in it. I’m enjoying reading mine…. 2cents

Re: The Hog Book [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8475323 12/14/21 03:04 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

JR

More than a fair price IMHO considering what all is in it. I’m enjoying reading mine…. 2cents

exactly, well worth the money

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8476697 12/15/21 06:35 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I think I paid like 90 bucks including a shirt. I like supporting guys that create great original content. How many other cookbooks are you going to buy that sort recipes by the size of the pig you shoot?

Made the vindaloo the other night, added some green cardamom and served with yogurt with lime, cilantro, mint and green onions. Good inspiration in here.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Hog Book [Re: jrgocards] #8477800 12/16/21 08:20 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

JR

lol some people just can't appreciate things. Good luck on youtube.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: Justin T] #8487239 12/26/21 08:02 PM
J
Jesse Griffiths Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by Justin T
I think I paid like 90 bucks including a shirt. I like supporting guys that create great original content. How many other cookbooks are you going to buy that sort recipes by the size of the pig you shoot?

Made the vindaloo the other night, added some green cardamom and served with yogurt with lime, cilantro, mint and green onions. Good inspiration in here.

[Linked Image]

That looks phenomenal. Thanks for sharing!

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8487258 12/26/21 08:47 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Got my Hog Book a couple of months ago. Great book very well done with beautiful photography. I forget what I paid for it, but it was worth every penny. It gives me plenary of recipes to try after deer hunting season, when I really get after pigs!

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8487637 12/27/21 07:23 AM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Got my from the wife for Christmas. She hard me telling some friends thT I was going to buy it after Christmas. So she decided to beat me to it. So far I have enjoyed what I have read. Now I can't wait to get me some pigs at the lease.

Last edited by notamtchance; 12/27/21 07:24 AM.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8488069 12/27/21 08:48 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Worth every penny and then some!

I bought 3 - 2 for friends and one for myself. I absolutely love it.

Will post some pics of the meals we cook with it, and hope others here continue to do the same!

Thanks for sharing your talents, Jesse!

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: The Hog Book [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8488077 12/27/21 08:55 PM
J
Jesse Griffiths Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
Worth every penny and then some!

I bought 3 - 2 for friends and one for myself. I absolutely love it.

Will post some pics of the meals we cook with it, and hope others here continue to do the same!

Thanks for sharing your talents, Jesse!

Thank you so much for the support. I'd love to see what everyone is cooking up! Message me via THF or on Instagram (@sac.a.lait), too.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8496182 01/06/22 02:54 AM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Going to eat some crow!!

OK based upon the overwhelming reviews and support for this book - I bought one. Received it this afternoon. It is a really nice book. Still not sure that it's worth $78 (got a signed copy), but I don't feel cheated. As I mentioned it is a really nice book and I'm happy that I have one!!

I'm hoping to really get after the hogs when I finish our house reno and this book will be very helpful in when I do.

JR

Re: The Hog Book [Re: jrgocards] #8496193 01/06/22 02:58 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Going to eat some crow!!

OK based upon the overwhelming reviews and support for this book - I bought one. Received it this afternoon. It is a really nice book. Still not sure that it's worth $78 (got a signed copy), but I don't feel cheated. As I mentioned it is a really nice book and I'm happy that I have one!!

I'm hoping to really get after the hogs when I finish our house reno and this book will be very helpful in when I do.

JR

Good deal! Post up what you cook…

Re: The Hog Book [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8496218 01/06/22 03:19 AM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Going to eat some crow!!

JR

Good deal! Post up what you cook…

Doubt I can approach the ham you cured and smoked!!

JR

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8508009 01/19/22 04:18 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I received a copy of The Hog Book about two weeks ago, and I've been perusing various sections. Overall I'm happy to have bought it.

The first 100+ pages discuss hunting, trapping, and various related things regarding the acquisition of a hog. Having hunted and trapped hogs for over 15 years, I didn't really learn much that was new from that. For someone new to the topic it is a nice collection of info all in one place.

There are quite a few pages, with excellent photography, describing how to cut up a hog. The book shows examples for small and medium hogs, as well as individual discussion on large sows and large boars. I can't emphasize enough the quality of the photographs. Still, although I don't shoot a ton of hogs every year, I have no plans to butcher a complete hog. I don't have the time nor the work space to do that, and the freezer is pretty full with just the leg quarters and back straps I've taken.

For me, although the hunting, trapping, and butchering sections are interesting, the cooking portion is my main interest. Generally most of the recipes are not super complicated. A few use some spices I don't have and don't really want to purchase and inventory for the limited use they'd give me. In other cases, I think I can substitute something. There's a recipe for Wild Boar Suadero (sort of baked and then grilled meat for tacos - my apologies to the author if that's too simplified) which I plan to try. However, the ingredient list includes chipotle powder and guajillo powder. I'll probably use taco seasoning and/or chili powder with maybe a pinch of cumin. If it doesn't turn out to be wonderful, I won't blame the book. On the other hand there's a recipe for Boar Paprikash which is similar to a recipe I already have, but with a few changes/additions. What I've made in the past was good enough that my wife really liked it, but I think Mr. Griffiths' version will offer improvement.

I plan to try curing and smoking a ham soon. The book contains information on that although the essay Dink Dodger posted on this forum seems more detailed so I plan to use his information as well. https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8466972/curing-feral-hams#Post8466972 I saved the web pages to my computer in my Recipes Folder just to make sure I could always find it again.

In conclusion, The Hog Book has what appear to be a very nice collection of recipes for feral hogs and I'm glad I got it.
--

I have two unwritten rules:
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide