Texas Hunting Forum

The Hog Book

Posted By: MeanGreen85

The Hog Book - 07/27/21 01:05 PM

Anyone else get one? Looks really well done (I’ve only quickly thumbed through it so far).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: The Hog Book - 07/27/21 01:19 PM

My neighbor bought it and is excited to try the smoked hog leg tacos. Isn't it a chili verde recipe or close to it?
Posted By: Erny

Re: The Hog Book - 07/27/21 01:25 PM

I thought about ordering it, but have not. I have listened to the author on several podcasts and he’s an interesting guy.
Posted By: 1955

Re: The Hog Book - 07/27/21 01:31 PM

up
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: The Hog Book - 07/27/21 02:57 PM

I grew up helping my grandfather who owned a butcher shop. It could be real entertaining to contrast and compare. We didn't do near as many boneless cuts back in the day.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: The Hog Book - 07/27/21 02:59 PM

waiting for mine to come in the mail
Posted By: Stub

Re: The Hog Book - 07/27/21 03:09 PM

Will order one up
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: The Hog Book - 07/29/21 12:54 PM

Nice

Re: The Hog Book - 10/30/21 06:08 PM

I made the chorizo verde today, and I just used some of it in a big pot of charro beans currently going in the instant pot. I went with about 60% sow trimmings, 20% random loin from freezer, and 20% pork fat.

I hope it tastes half as good as it smells.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: The Hog Book - 10/30/21 10:47 PM

I’ve seen him on a couple episodes of Meat Eater
Posted By: Stub

Re: The Hog Book - 10/31/21 03:32 PM

Oh man I bet that turns out way good, keep us posted up
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: The Hog Book - 11/01/21 02:35 PM

Looks great
Posted By: FayetteCo

Re: The Hog Book - 11/01/21 10:01 PM

Ordered one. I will never run out of pigs.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: The Hog Book - 11/01/21 11:19 PM

How did you guys order that book? I only saw something about "pledging $45" to pre-order.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: The Hog Book - 11/02/21 02:23 AM

We need an update on that chorizo verde! That looks like its going to be something a Chef would make!
Curious about that book.
Posted By: FayetteCo

Re: The Hog Book - 11/02/21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
How did you guys order that book? I only saw something about "pledging $45" to pre-order.

The website I saw had options to purchase either a signed copy or unsigned. I saw the preorder thing.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: The Hog Book - 11/02/21 04:39 PM

I pre-ordered it on Kickstarter. Really happy with the book. I need to shoot more pigs!

Re: The Hog Book - 11/02/21 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by FayetteCo

The website I saw had options to purchase either a signed copy or unsigned. I saw the preorder thing.

Thanks, I did see that after another look.
Posted By: Jesse Griffiths

Re: The Hog Book - 11/03/21 03:36 PM

Thanks for all of the interest and feedback on the book. I'm the author (a daily reader of THF, but random poster) and would love to answer any questions y'all have about the book or hog cookery in general.

The book is available on thehogbook.com only, as it is self-published and self-distributed. It's 420 pages of hog hunting, skinning, gutting, butchery (4 different butchery sequences for small, medium, large sow and large boar) and over 115 recipes for hogs including whole hogs, brining, sausage, curing, slow cooking, grilling, smoking and offal.

Again, your support is greatly appreciated and looking forward to seeing what y'all make!

Jesse Griffiths

Re: The Hog Book - 11/03/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by panKo
Thanks for all of the interest and feedback on the book. I'm the author (a daily reader of THF, but random poster) and would love to answer any questions y'all have about the book or hog cookery in general.

The book is available on thehogbook.com only, as it is self-published and self-distributed. It's 420 pages of hog hunting, skinning, gutting, butchery (4 different butchery sequences for small, medium, large sow and large boar) and over 115 recipes for hogs including whole hogs, brining, sausage, curing, slow cooking, grilling, smoking and offal.

Again, your support is greatly appreciated and looking forward to seeing what y'all make!

Jesse Griffiths

Glad you’re here. Appreciate your dedication to teaching. I’ve learned a lot just from your videos.

Hope to make it down to your restaurant one of these days....

Jes
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: The Hog Book - 11/03/21 09:54 PM

Jesse Griffiths

Huge fan of yours, Jesse. I was a huge fan of Afield before I ever knew who you were. I bought that back a few years ago on a whim and it paid off big time. I love the creative recipes. We have a few family dinner staples out of Afield. I'm definitely interested in the sausage/curing section as I've seen you do some really creative stuff. As soon as I convince my wife that the New School of Traditional Cookery is worth the price I'm headed your way!

I do have one question if you stumble back across this. As someone that is really passionate about cooking, how can I take my creativity to the next level? Any advice?
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: The Hog Book - 11/05/21 03:26 PM

I may have to get this book. I had a friend (now deceased, unfortunately) who was retired and interesting in cooking. He had bought the Afield book, and was so impressed that he attended a weekend cooking course (or maybe it was only one day, not sure). As part of that course he received another copy of Afield. I'd given him a hindquarter from an 80 Lb hog I had shot, along with some sausage. In return he gave me his extra copy of Afield.

My wife eats in a very healthy fashion. She is a poster child for low-fat, high fiber, fruit & vegetables dining. Me, I try but not quite so much. I had made sausage in the past, but she didn't let me put a lot of fat into it. In the Afield book, the comment is made that sausage should have around 25% fat, with 20% as the minimum. It goes on to say something like "If you're not willing to put at least 20% fat into your sausage, you should consider not making sausage". That statement alone makes the book worthwhile to me, as it's helped bolster my arguments for adding fat to homemade sausage. Family and friends are much more complimentary about my sausage these days.

Re: The Hog Book - 11/11/21 02:51 AM

Got mine ordered today...can’t wait to get it!
Posted By: NRAman

Re: The Hog Book - 11/11/21 03:27 AM

I asked my family to see if Santa could put a copy under the tree for me. Hope it gets delivered and can be opened early.

Re: The Hog Book - 11/16/21 12:01 AM

Was going to order one today only to find out they only accept PayPal. To their credit, I emailed them about it and they quickly responded but I'm a hard NO on PayPal. Guess I'll find a different book.

Re: The Hog Book - 11/16/21 02:56 AM

Yep I can’t blame you there. Me and some of my other small business friends have had bad experiences with PayPal. Place is a joke. Closing down your business on a whim should not be allowed by anyone without at least some notice.

Re: The Hog Book - 11/22/21 07:28 PM

Was going to order one today only to find out they only accept PayPal. To their credit, I emailed them about it and they quickly responded but I'm a hard NO on PayPal. Guess I'll find a different book.

Jimbo, you can skip PayPal at thehogbook.com and pay with Stripe instead. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Also, there's a Black Friday Sale starting on 11/23 until 11/26 where everyone can get $10 off the book, $5 off the charcoal hats and $5 off any shirt. Thanks!

Jesse Griffiths

Re: The Hog Book - 11/22/21 08:16 PM

I got mine Friday! Been enjoying reading it the past couple days

Re: The Hog Book - 11/22/21 10:49 PM

Jimbo, you can skip PayPal at thehogbook.com and pay with Stripe instead. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Also, there's a Black Friday Sale starting on 11/23 until 11/26 where everyone can get $10 off the book, $5 off the charcoal hats and $5 off any shirt. Thanks!

Jesse Griffiths

Oh wow, thanks for the update. I just placed my order. Looking forward to reading it.

Re: The Hog Book - 11/22/21 10:54 PM

Hmm, being around Austin I wonder if I could simply drop by the restaurant some time to get one and save the shipping costs.
--

Re: The Hog Book - 12/02/21 04:17 PM

Jesse Griffiths

No joking this might be the nicest "cookbook" I've ever seen - from the print quality, content, photographs, index, etc... y'all did everything right. I'm more than happy to support your effort.

The Chorizo Verde and charro beans were fantastic, too. I'll keep bumping this with more updates as I try out more recipes.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: The Hog Book - 12/02/21 05:24 PM

Jesse Griffiths

Thanks for adding the pay with credit card option.
Just ordered my book, looking forward to it.

Re: The Hog Book - 12/07/21 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen85

Jesse Griffiths

No joking this might be the nicest "cookbook" I've ever seen - from the print quality, content, photographs, index, etc... y'all did everything right. I'm more than happy to support your effort.

The Chorizo Verde and charro beans were fantastic, too. I'll keep bumping this with more updates as I try out more recipes.

Thank you so much for the feedback! The Chorizo Verde is my favorite. Hope to put a hog on the ground this weekend and make a bunch of it.

Re: The Hog Book - 12/07/21 11:20 PM

Just received The Hog Book!
Very nicely done!
Can’t wait to read it and try some of the recipes!

Re: The Hog Book - 12/08/21 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by mbavo
Very nicely done!

Got mine a couple days ago too. Very nicely done...indeed!

Re: The Hog Book - 12/08/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by mbavo
Very nicely done!

Got mine a couple days ago too. Very nicely done...indeed!

I’ve been reading mine and thoroughly enjoying it….

I had no intentions of ever skinning another hog…seriously reconsidering that position.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: The Hog Book - 12/14/21 01:18 AM

It might be a good book, but $50 is too much IMO.

I'll just watch youtube videos.

JR

Re: The Hog Book - 12/14/21 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by jrgocards

JR

More than a fair price IMHO considering what all is in it. I’m enjoying reading mine…. 2cents

Re: The Hog Book - 12/14/21 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

JR

More than a fair price IMHO considering what all is in it. I’m enjoying reading mine…. 2cents

exactly, well worth the money
Posted By: Justin T

Re: The Hog Book - 12/15/21 06:35 PM

I think I paid like 90 bucks including a shirt. I like supporting guys that create great original content. How many other cookbooks are you going to buy that sort recipes by the size of the pig you shoot?

Made the vindaloo the other night, added some green cardamom and served with yogurt with lime, cilantro, mint and green onions. Good inspiration in here.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Hog Book - 12/16/21 08:20 PM

JR

lol some people just can't appreciate things. Good luck on youtube.

Re: The Hog Book - 12/26/21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Justin T
I think I paid like 90 bucks including a shirt. I like supporting guys that create great original content. How many other cookbooks are you going to buy that sort recipes by the size of the pig you shoot?

Made the vindaloo the other night, added some green cardamom and served with yogurt with lime, cilantro, mint and green onions. Good inspiration in here.

[Linked Image]

That looks phenomenal. Thanks for sharing!

Re: The Hog Book - 12/26/21 08:47 PM

Got my Hog Book a couple of months ago. Great book very well done with beautiful photography. I forget what I paid for it, but it was worth every penny. It gives me plenary of recipes to try after deer hunting season, when I really get after pigs!
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: The Hog Book - 12/27/21 07:23 AM

Got my from the wife for Christmas. She hard me telling some friends thT I was going to buy it after Christmas. So she decided to beat me to it. So far I have enjoyed what I have read. Now I can't wait to get me some pigs at the lease.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: The Hog Book - 12/27/21 08:48 PM

Worth every penny and then some!

I bought 3 - 2 for friends and one for myself. I absolutely love it.

Will post some pics of the meals we cook with it, and hope others here continue to do the same!

Thanks for sharing your talents, Jesse!

Re: The Hog Book - 12/27/21 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
Worth every penny and then some!

I bought 3 - 2 for friends and one for myself. I absolutely love it.

Will post some pics of the meals we cook with it, and hope others here continue to do the same!

Thanks for sharing your talents, Jesse!

Thank you so much for the support. I'd love to see what everyone is cooking up! Message me via THF or on Instagram (@sac.a.lait), too.

Re: The Hog Book - 01/06/22 02:54 AM

Going to eat some crow!!

OK based upon the overwhelming reviews and support for this book - I bought one. Received it this afternoon. It is a really nice book. Still not sure that it's worth $78 (got a signed copy), but I don't feel cheated. As I mentioned it is a really nice book and I'm happy that I have one!!

I'm hoping to really get after the hogs when I finish our house reno and this book will be very helpful in when I do.

JR

Re: The Hog Book - 01/06/22 02:58 AM

Going to eat some crow!!

OK based upon the overwhelming reviews and support for this book - I bought one. Received it this afternoon. It is a really nice book. Still not sure that it's worth $78 (got a signed copy), but I don't feel cheated. As I mentioned it is a really nice book and I'm happy that I have one!!

I'm hoping to really get after the hogs when I finish our house reno and this book will be very helpful in when I do.

JR

Good deal! Post up what you cook…

Re: The Hog Book - 01/06/22 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Going to eat some crow!!

JR

Good deal! Post up what you cook…

Doubt I can approach the ham you cured and smoked!!

JR

Re: The Hog Book - 01/19/22 04:18 PM

I received a copy of The Hog Book about two weeks ago, and I've been perusing various sections. Overall I'm happy to have bought it.

The first 100+ pages discuss hunting, trapping, and various related things regarding the acquisition of a hog. Having hunted and trapped hogs for over 15 years, I didn't really learn much that was new from that. For someone new to the topic it is a nice collection of info all in one place.

There are quite a few pages, with excellent photography, describing how to cut up a hog. The book shows examples for small and medium hogs, as well as individual discussion on large sows and large boars. I can't emphasize enough the quality of the photographs. Still, although I don't shoot a ton of hogs every year, I have no plans to butcher a complete hog. I don't have the time nor the work space to do that, and the freezer is pretty full with just the leg quarters and back straps I've taken.

For me, although the hunting, trapping, and butchering sections are interesting, the cooking portion is my main interest. Generally most of the recipes are not super complicated. A few use some spices I don't have and don't really want to purchase and inventory for the limited use they'd give me. In other cases, I think I can substitute something. There's a recipe for Wild Boar Suadero (sort of baked and then grilled meat for tacos - my apologies to the author if that's too simplified) which I plan to try. However, the ingredient list includes chipotle powder and guajillo powder. I'll probably use taco seasoning and/or chili powder with maybe a pinch of cumin. If it doesn't turn out to be wonderful, I won't blame the book. On the other hand there's a recipe for Boar Paprikash which is similar to a recipe I already have, but with a few changes/additions. What I've made in the past was good enough that my wife really liked it, but I think Mr. Griffiths' version will offer improvement.

I plan to try curing and smoking a ham soon. The book contains information on that although the essay Dink Dodger posted on this forum seems more detailed so I plan to use his information as well. https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8466972/curing-feral-hams#Post8466972 I saved the web pages to my computer in my Recipes Folder just to make sure I could always find it again.

In conclusion, The Hog Book has what appear to be a very nice collection of recipes for feral hogs and I'm glad I got it.
--

Re: The Hog Book - 01/20/22 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by der Teufel
I received a copy of The Hog Book about two weeks ago, and I've been perusing various sections. Overall I'm happy to have bought it.

The first 100+ pages discuss hunting, trapping, and various related things regarding the acquisition of a hog. Having hunted and trapped hogs for over 15 years, I didn't really learn much that was new from that. For someone new to the topic it is a nice collection of info all in one place.

There are quite a few pages, with excellent photography, describing how to cut up a hog. The book shows examples for small and medium hogs, as well as individual discussion on large sows and large boars. I can't emphasize enough the quality of the photographs. Still, although I don't shoot a ton of hogs every year, I have no plans to butcher a complete hog. I don't have the time nor the work space to do that, and the freezer is pretty full with just the leg quarters and back straps I've taken.

For me, although the hunting, trapping, and butchering sections are interesting, the cooking portion is my main interest. Generally most of the recipes are not super complicated. A few use some spices I don't have and don't really want to purchase and inventory for the limited use they'd give me. In other cases, I think I can substitute something. There's a recipe for Wild Boar Suadero (sort of baked and then grilled meat for tacos - my apologies to the author if that's too simplified) which I plan to try. However, the ingredient list includes chipotle powder and guajillo powder. I'll probably use taco seasoning and/or chili powder with maybe a pinch of cumin. If it doesn't turn out to be wonderful, I won't blame the book. On the other hand there's a recipe for Boar Paprikash which is similar to a recipe I already have, but with a few changes/additions. What I've made in the past was good enough that my wife really liked it, but I think Mr. Griffiths' version will offer improvement.

I plan to try curing and smoking a ham soon. The book contains information on that although the essay Dink Dodger posted on this forum seems more detailed so I plan to use his information as well. https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8466972/curing-feral-hams#Post8466972 I saved the web pages to my computer in my Recipes Folder just to make sure I could always find it again.

In conclusion, The Hog Book has what appear to be a very nice collection of recipes for feral hogs and I'm glad I got it.
--

Just so you know, you can get chipotle chili powder at kroger/heb for a couple of bucks. Taco seasoning wont come close. If you wanted too you can also buy dried guajillo chilis at kroger/heb and blend into your own powder. That's what I do. I really love guajillo chili powder in stuff. If you didn't want to do that, I would still use chili powder and leave out the taco seasoning. Just my humble opinion though.

Re: The Hog Book - 01/20/22 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

--

Just so you know, you can get chipotle chili powder at kroger/heb for a couple of bucks. Taco seasoning wont come close. If you wanted too you can also buy dried guajillo chilis at kroger/heb and blend into your own powder. That's what I do. I really love guajillo chili powder in stuff. If you didn't want to do that, I would still use chili powder and leave out the taco seasoning. Just my humble opinion though.

agreed

Re: The Hog Book - 01/20/22 08:05 PM

Good to know. I saw the guajillo chilis at HEB recently in a small bag from Fiesta Seasonings, and McCormick had chipotle chili powder for about five bucks for a small jar. The cost isn't really an issue as much as my wife's reluctance to add yet more containers to our already crowded spice cabinet. She will groan, but when I'm cooking it means she doesn't have to and she doesn't mind that. So, I reckon I can find a little more space for a few new spices.

Thanks for the comments.

Re: The Hog Book - 01/20/22 08:20 PM

If your like me you will find a ton of uses for it. Brings a great dimension to a lot of different foods. I use it in chili, fajita seasoning, burger sauce, chicken thighs, and plenty of others.

Re: The Hog Book - 01/24/22 03:53 PM

--

Thank you so much for the thoughtful review! I want to take a minute to agree with you also on substitutions. I really think that strict adherence to recipes keeps people from experimenting and developing a more conceptual feel in the kitchen, so your suggestions of spices are pretty spot on. While the pure chile powders will be a little more subtle than chili (with an 'I') powder and taco seasoning (which will contain cumin, oregano and some other spices), you'll get a really flavorful end product and get to try a new technique, hopefully. Others have suggested buying whole guajillos and other dried chiles, which keep very well, have a wide variety of uses and are usually pretty cheap.Thanks again for taking the time and checking out the book.

Re: The Hog Book - 01/26/22 02:13 AM

Okay, first attempt at one of the recipes from The Hog Book.

On a driving trip around SE Germany several years ago we stopped in a town and walked around, seeing the sights. For lunch we found a small restaurant on the town square, and sat outside enjoying the nice weather. I ordered Rouladen, and it was one of the best meals I had during the three weeks we were there! When I saw that The Hog Book had a recipe for Rouladen I knew I had to try it, and decided not to wait but to go with it right out of the chute.

I used a back strap from a 160 Lb sow. Here I have it partially frozen to make slicing it into strips easier.

[Linked Image]

At this point I have made the slices and pounded them thinner. Here I'm getting ready to dress them up to be rolled.

[Linked Image]

I'm almost done applying the 'stuffing' and rolling them up. Just one more to go…

[Linked Image]

Okay, the cooking is done. Here they are straight out of the oven. That's our Griswold chicken fryer which we inherited from my wife's mother.

[Linked Image]

The finished product. The red cabbage was also delicious. It wasn't too complicated although in the future I'll probably just make it on special occasions.

[Linked Image]

I had a few ounces of meat fragments left over which I cut up into tiny pieces and mixed in with the sauce. That was the only real change to the recipe.
My wife said I could make this again any time I wanted!

Something that really pleases me about the book are the explanations about how to cook in a fashion that makes the meat tender. In the past I've fixed some things that tasted great but were sometimes pretty tough. This book will most certainly improve the overall quality of my hog cooking efforts.
--
Posted By: Wytex

Re: The Hog Book - 01/26/22 05:45 PM

I buy the dried guajillo chiles and slightly rehydrate them then smoke for a few hours. After the smoking grind them into a nice smoky paprika.

Re: The Hog Book - 01/26/22 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
I buy the dried guajillo chiles and slightly rehydrate them then smoke for a few hours. After the smoking grind them into a nice smoky paprika.

That is a very good idea.

Re: The Hog Book - 04/28/22 12:19 AM

Jesse, just saw that The Hog Book was nominated for a James Beard award. Congratulations! Your book certainly deserves it. You should be really proud of what you've done.

Re: The Hog Book - 04/28/22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Jesse, just saw that The Hog Book was nominated for a James Beard award. Congratulations! Your book certainly deserves it. You should be really proud of what you've done.

Thank you so much. I'm just happy to see hunting - and especially Texas hog hunting - represented in the culinary and literary world. It is a great honor to be nominated again and I am so thankful to have the support of the hunting community here. We couldn't have done it without the Kickstarter campaign contributors and the folks on here that have bought the book. I am so appreciative.

Re: The Hog Book - 04/28/22 05:05 PM

Most definitely

Re: The Hog Book - 05/20/22 02:36 PM

Going to Dai Due tomorrow night with the wife. Will report back

Re: The Hog Book - 05/20/22 05:38 PM

Jealous! Can't wait to hear how it was.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: The Hog Book - 05/20/22 05:59 PM

'Came close to clicking "Pay" on the $50.00 book. Then saw $15.00 to ship 80 miles. That's off-putting.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: The Hog Book - 05/20/22 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
'Came close to clicking "Pay" on the $50.00 book. Then saw $15.00 to ship 80 miles. That's off-putting.

If you went to pick it up yourself, that would be 160 miles round trip. At 18 mpg, that's 8.8 gallons of gas, times 4.15 a gallon = $36.89. 15 bucks looks like a deal!

Re: The Hog Book - 05/20/22 06:10 PM

Now you have to go and get all logical on me. Amazon Prime has spoiled me.

Re: The Hog Book - 05/20/22 09:51 PM

Yeah, since I live near Austin I thought about dropping by the restaurant and trying to get a copy, but I finally decided it was simpler all around to just pay the shipping.

I wanted the book, and I'm quite happy to have it.

Re: The Hog Book - 05/24/22 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by ETexas Hunter

So how was it? I'm headed to Austin for work next month and am about to make a reservation.
Posted By: Catperch

Re: The Hog Book - 05/30/22 11:34 AM

Oh heck yea, I'm ordering one now

Re: The Hog Book - 06/02/22 04:10 AM

Jesse, I just finished dinner at Dai Due and everything was phenomenal, but the sauce for the Nilgai filet stole the show. Is there a technique similar to the mulberry red wine tallow sauce in either The Hog Book or Afield? Thanks!

Re: The Hog Book - 06/02/22 06:47 PM

Jesse, I just finished dinner at Dai Due and everything was phenomenal, but the sauce for the Nilgai filet stole the show. Is there a technique similar to the mulberry red wine tallow sauce in either The Hog Book or Afield? Thanks!

Thanks! Chef Janie made that. She cooks onions down in olive oil with some salt and pepper, then adds a bunch of red wine and reduces that. Add mulberries (pretty good crop this year, but short) and then stirred in softened, rendered beef tallow into the cooled mulberry/wine mixture. This is served room temp like butter on the grilled nilgai leg fillet.

Nilgai is so similar to lean beef in a lot of ways that we like to use beef fat with the lean nilgai. We put beef fat in the nilgai burgers out at the Lo Salvaje food truck at the Desert Door Distillery in Driftwood. It's a solid burger if you're ever in the area. Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for the support.

Re: The Hog Book - 06/02/22 08:13 PM

Thanks! Chef Janie made that. She cooks onions down in olive oil with some salt and pepper, then adds a bunch of red wine and reduces that. Add mulberries (pretty good crop this year, but short) and then stirred in softened, rendered beef tallow into the cooled mulberry/wine mixture. This is served room temp like butter on the grilled nilgai leg fillet.

Nilgai is so similar to lean beef in a lot of ways that we like to use beef fat with the lean nilgai. We put beef fat in the nilgai burgers out at the Lo Salvaje food truck at the Desert Door Distillery in Driftwood. It's a solid burger if you're ever in the area. Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for the support.

Man, no wonder it tasted so good, thanks!

Re: The Hog Book - 06/12/22 06:25 PM

Congratulations to Jesse on winning a James Beard for Hogbook.

Re: The Hog Book - 06/12/22 06:29 PM

So how was it? I'm headed to Austin for work next month and am about to make a reservation.

Was amazing. Wife had the ribeye and couldn’t say enough good about it, was probably better than J Carver’s the night before. I had boar confit (awesome) We shared the chicken hearts and nilgai tartare, again both were awesome. Best tartare I’ve ever had.

Re: The Hog Book - 06/13/22 12:22 AM

Winner, winner, James Beard Dinner! Congrats Jesse!

Re: The Hog Book - 06/13/22 12:33 AM

This book would make a great Father's Day present for any outdoorsman.

Re: The Hog Book - 06/17/22 04:14 PM

Thank you! I'm still in shock and surprised that a book about hunting and cooking feral hogs was nominated, let alone win. Chicago was a lot of fun, too! Took the girlfriend and daughter to the awards, which was pretty cool (we had never been). Thanks to everyone on the THF for all of the support. It means a lot because we are all neighbors and hunters, and the word of mouth and interactions on here have been a big part in making this self-published and self-distributed book such a success.

Re: The Hog Book - 06/17/22 05:41 PM

Thank you! I'm still in shock and surprised that a book about hunting and cooking feral hogs was nominated, let alone win. Chicago was a lot of fun, too! Took the girlfriend and daughter to the awards, which was pretty cool (we had never been). Thanks to everyone on the THF for all of the support. It means a lot because we are all neighbors and hunters, and the word of mouth and interactions on here have been a big part in making this self-published and self-distributed book such a success.

Congratulations Sir!
Well done,you deserve it!
I have the book and have enjoyed it very much.

Re: The Hog Book - 06/18/22 10:39 PM

Way to go Jesse! The Hog book is awesome!

Re: The Hog Book - 09/26/22 12:47 PM

My spousal unit asked me to cook, so I went to the freezer and grabbed a backstrap that came from a 190 Lb sow. Checked out a few recipes and decided to make Paprikash. I have a recipe for something similar titled Paprika Pork, but Jesse's recipe had a few extra touches. I admit I cheated a little. Instead of baking it in the oven for a few hours I just put the backstrap into a pressure cooker for a half hour and proceeded from there. I though it was pretty good. We've been intending to invite one of our neighbors over for supper some time (he picks up our mail when we're traveling and does a few other favors for us) and wife suggested this was perhaps what we (meaning I) might fix for that meal.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Hog Book - 09/26/22 01:28 PM

cheers Looks amazing.

I broke down and bought the book. I picked up in it that my best chance at decent back strap is finding a pregnant sow. rifle

Re: The Hog Book - 09/28/22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
cheers Looks amazing.

I broke down and bought the book. I picked up in it that my best chance at decent back strap is finding a pregnant sow. rifle

I hope it serves you well! I got a perfect 70 pound pregnant sow in South Texas on Monday and she looks gooood.

Re: The Hog Book - 10/07/22 04:31 PM

Jesse did you ever put out that pozole verde recipe anywhere?

Re: The Hog Book - 10/08/22 10:49 PM

Jesse did you ever put out that pozole verde recipe anywhere?

Here you go:
Posole Verde

2 lbs bone in shank, rib, ham or shoulder from a hog or javelina
2 bay leaves
1 onion, halved
Salt
4 corn tortillas
3 cups canned hominy, drained, or 3 cups cooked dried hominy
2 medium poblano peppers, roasted, peeled and deseeded
1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1-3 jalapeno or serrano peppers, roughly chopped
1 tsp Mexican oregano, or Greek oregano
3 cloves garlic, peeled

To serve:
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 limes, quartered
4 radishes, thinly sliced

In a medium pot, cover the meat, bay leaves and onion with water and bring to a simmer. Season lightly with salt and gently cook until the meat is tender, about 4-6 hours, adding water if needed to keep the meat submerged.

Once tender, remove the meat from the pot and shred it from the bone, reserving 3 quarts of the broth. Combine the shredded meat, broth, tortillas and hominy and bring to a simmer, seasoning to taste with salt. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the tortillas have dissolved.

Combine the poblano, cilantro, jalapeno, oregano, garlic and a cup of broth in a blender and puree until smooth. Add this to the soup and adjust seasoning. Serve with cabbage, lime and radishes on the side.

Re: The Hog Book - 10/08/22 11:31 PM

Holy crap, that's a lotta work. But, I did email it to myself. I cooked in a country club (under a Chef) in college. On the third date with my now wife, I cooked Chicken Cacciatore in my crappy apartment for her. She thought she was getting the whole package. 'Haven't cooked much since. She's been quite miffed for the last 30 years. This would impress her. grin

Re: The Hog Book - 10/09/22 01:36 AM

I was checking out a few recipes in The Hog Book a couple of days ago, and one thing I have noticed is the quality of the index. That might not seem like much, but I worked as a technical writer for a few years, writing and editing technical manuals. It is a LOT of work to produce a good index. I was never allowed to do it, because with only 20 years of using and writing manuals I didn't have as much experience as the IndExperts. The Hog Book really impresses me in several areas, including the narrative descriptions, the photography, and particularly the index. IMHO it's just a quality book all around, which obviously required a lot of effort to write and produce.

Re: The Hog Book - 11/01/22 04:14 PM

So I have a small problem. I made my girlfriend the Vindaloo a few weeks ago at my place. I’m at her house this week and she has requested I make it again but my copy of the hog book is at home. Any chance someone can send me the recipe?

Re: The Hog Book - 11/01/22 11:13 PM

So I have a small problem. I made my girlfriend the Vindaloo a few weeks ago at my place. I’m at her house this week and she has requested I make it again but my copy of the hog book is at home. Any chance someone can send me the recipe?

Here you go:

Wild Boar Vindaloo

serves 4

2 lbs sinewy wild boar stew meat, cut into 2” pieces
salt to taste
1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 3” piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp ground black pepper
10 chile de árbol peppers, stemmed (or another hot, dried chile)
¼ tsp ground clove
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
8 cloves garlic, peeled
½ Cup lard, ghee, butter or neutral oil
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 large yellow onion, sliced
2 tbsp brown sugar
cilantro to garnish

Season the boar well with salt. Combine the vinegar, ginger, cumin, black pepper, chilies, clove, cinnamon, turmeric and garlic in a blender and puree until smooth. Coat the boar in this marinade and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.

Heat a medium pot over high heat and add the lard, butter or ghee. Add the mustard seeds, stir quickly and then add the marinated meat and the onion. Cook, stirring often until the marinade begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the sugar, stir well and then pour in three cups of water and turn down to a bare simmer (or transfer to a slow cooker). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, about 2-6 hours, depending on the animal, adding more water if needed. The stew should be tender, with a slightly thickened sauce cloaking the meat. Check for seasoning.

Serve over steamed basmati rice with fresh cilantro leaves.

Re: The Hog Book - 11/01/22 11:19 PM

Way to go, Idaho!! banana

Re: The Hog Book - 11/01/22 11:50 PM

Here you go:

Wild Boar Vindaloo

serves 4

2 lbs sinewy wild boar stew meat, cut into 2” pieces
salt to taste
1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 3” piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp ground black pepper
10 chile de árbol peppers, stemmed (or another hot, dried chile)
¼ tsp ground clove
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
8 cloves garlic, peeled
½ Cup lard, ghee, butter or neutral oil
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 large yellow onion, sliced
2 tbsp brown sugar
cilantro to garnish

Season the boar well with salt. Combine the vinegar, ginger, cumin, black pepper, chilies, clove, cinnamon, turmeric and garlic in a blender and puree until smooth. Coat the boar in this marinade and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.

Heat a medium pot over high heat and add the lard, butter or ghee. Add the mustard seeds, stir quickly and then add the marinated meat and the onion. Cook, stirring often until the marinade begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the sugar, stir well and then pour in three cups of water and turn down to a bare simmer (or transfer to a slow cooker). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, about 2-6 hours, depending on the animal, adding more water if needed. The stew should be tender, with a slightly thickened sauce cloaking the meat. Check for seasoning.

Serve over steamed basmati rice with fresh cilantro leaves.

You are a lifesaver! Thanks!
Posted By: Wytex

Re: The Hog Book - 12/26/22 12:52 AM

Got a copy for Christmas, looks like a great read and reference.
Surprised to see a signed edition under the tree, thanks for making a good deal on it for the holidays!!

Re: The Hog Book - 12/28/22 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
Got a copy for Christmas, looks like a great read and reference.
Surprised to see a signed edition under the tree, thanks for making a good deal on it for the holidays!!

Hope you enjoy it! I love cold weather when the pigs put on some fat. Go get some!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: The Hog Book - 12/26/23 01:01 PM

I got a copy of a book yesterday, pretty excited to try out some recipes.

Re: The Hog Book - 12/26/23 05:35 PM

I hope you love it. We will be making an announcement in about 3 weeks for a new book release this Spring!

Re: The Hog Book - 12/30/23 02:51 PM

As we turn into a new year, my wife gets real busy. She's a retired accountant which makes her the bookkeeper and tax reporter for us and our small extended family. She does our taxes, her sister's, her nephew's, and also figures up what's going on with the family farm she and her sister inherited from her folks. Basically, she'll be busier than a one-armed paper hanger. So, I become the chief cook and bottle washer for the next few weeks or months. That's not really a bad thing in my opinion, and I think I'll pull out my copy of The Hog Book and see what new recipes look interesting. Believe me, I'll be having more fun than her…
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum