Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I forgot what it was like... #8286083 06/06/21 04:22 AM
nak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I grew up just outside the city limits sign of a small South Texas town. Lived in College Station for 4 5 years, but after college, I moved out in the country for a almost 10 years, but the chase for a bigger paycheck sucked me into city life in 1995. After that, I moved a lot...but city to city.

My job has been work from home for 5+ years. COVID resulted in my wife's work looked at remote working during corvid and declared she will now be in the office only 1 day a week permanently, My wife said was willing to drive 45 min each way ONCE A WEEK, so we decided to GTFO of the city. In late April we moved into a rural new construction home. About 4 miles out of Springtown.

GOD ITS NICE. I had forgotten what country living was like. No constant drone of jets. No traffic noise, No car alarms in the middle of the night. No neighbor 20' from my window.

My wife has always been a city girl. She was freaked out at first when people said "Hi" in the grocery store. In just a month, she's already saying she never wants to live in the city again.

I had forgotten what living in the country and small towns was all about. I feel like the last 25 years was stolen from me somehow.

Last edited by nak; 06/06/21 04:22 AM.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286115 06/06/21 04:57 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Good for y’all. I grew up in Springtown. It’s a fine area.

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286120 06/06/21 05:06 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I know exactly how you feel. Last November I retired and moved to my ranch at Lake Whitney after 25 years of being a Fort Worth cop and having to live there. Today I had turkey hens in my front yard with chicks the size of quail, tiny fawns that can only stand for about 5 minutes before laying down, and within 30 feet of my fence line, trotlines full of catfish from a flooding lake. There is no way I would go back to living there and doing what I did, not even for a million dollars a year. I would say hell no, with zero hesitation.

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286160 06/06/21 09:19 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
We moved back to the country in 2014 I don't see myself ever going back to town.
Here I can hunt, fish, shoot, BBQ, drink beer, farm, raise cattle & quail, work in the shop. I don't have to leave the place.

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286166 06/06/21 10:14 AM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Awesome. The good lord only gives us ONE life to live. Too many waste it in the city, hoping to make it to retirement.

There really is no excuse to live there anymore. Amazon can deliver anything you want the next day. Also, there are plenty of ways to make a good living out here. Just look around, not everyone is poor out here. Good careers can be had outside of the city. There are lots of folks that don't believe that though.

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286168 06/06/21 10:46 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Good for you!

We made that type of decision early, in order to raise our kids in a better environment. Now in grandparent mode, we have tried to strike a balance of uncrowded vs. reasonable proximity to major medical. I am quite happy with where we are, six miles from Eustace (1,000 people) and about an hour from Dallas.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286170 06/06/21 10:56 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Grew up in Highland Village to previously rural parents. Now they're back in the sticks of Grayson County. I moved to Montague County after marriage but that was too "sticksy" for me. Settling in the Gainesville area was perfect for raising kids as it's not the hell hole I grew up in (Lewisville/Flower Mound) but not all the residents are related like (insert favorite backwards small town to make fun of). Once they're out of the house, we're probably going back out away from the cities and towns.

Pass the gravy.

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286173 06/06/21 11:08 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Congrats to all that have gotten the hell out of Dodge as they say, one day soon for me and the Mrs.

texas flag

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286179 06/06/21 11:22 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
See?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286203 06/06/21 12:27 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Haven't lived in the city since 1993, and even then it was a small town.
I travel to those areas once in a while and wonder what it is that keeps people living like that.

bless their hearts

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286204 06/06/21 12:29 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Problem is people move out in the country and have to drive to the big city for fun and entertainment and work and groceries.

I remember going to Six Flags as and you would see those school buses come in from places like Celeste or Farmersville, those poor kids grew up in the country with not much to do. While us city kids went to Six Flags, White Water, Hurricane Harbor every day.

There senior class trip would be a trip Six Flags.

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: RedRanger] #8286211 06/06/21 12:41 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Problem is people move out in the country and have to drive to the big city for fun and entertainment and work and groceries.

I remember going to Six Flags as and you would see those school buses come in from places like Celeste or Farmersville, they poor kids grew up in the country with not much to do. While us city kids went to Six Flags, White Water, Hurricane Harbor every day.

There is a ton of stuff to do in the country, but you have to like hunting, fishing and being out in the woods. I didn't care to go to Hurricane Harbor or Six Flags, I wanted to shoot guns and set trotlines. I pitied the city kids who only got to shoot their .22s once a month, if they were lucky.

Believe it or not we have grocery stores out here and Amazon delivers. If your definition of entertainment is going to malls and such I guess the city is the place to be. My definition of entertainment is much different. We have 3 state parks, 4 lakes and 300 miles of Brazos river in Palo Pinto County, thats plenty to keep one busy and out the city.

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: BigfootWallace] #8286213 06/06/21 12:42 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
Awesome. The good lord only gives us ONE life to live. Too many waste it in the city, hoping to make it to retirement.

There really is no excuse to live there anymore. Amazon can deliver anything you want the next day. Also, there are plenty of ways to make a good living out here. Just look around, not everyone is poor out here. Good careers can be had outside of the city. There are lots of folks that don't believe that though.

Get yourself a welder or a backhoe and the phone won't stop ringing, plenty of work in the country.

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286215 06/06/21 12:47 PM
J
jmac24 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I have about one more year of the city and we are moving out to our property. I will have about an hour and a half drive each way a couple of days a week, but it will be worth it!

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: jmac24] #8286232 06/06/21 01:16 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jmac24
I have about one more year of the city and we are moving out to our property. I will have about an hour and a half drive each way a couple of days a week, but it will be worth it!

It will be your lucky day. cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: BigfootWallace] #8286244 06/06/21 01:29 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
Originally Posted by RedRanger

I remember going to Six Flags as and you would see those school buses come in from places like Celeste or Farmersville, they poor kids grew up in the country with not much to do. While us city kids went to Six Flags, White Water, Hurricane Harbor every day.

There is a ton of stuff to do in the country, but you have to like hunting, fishing and being out in the woods. I didn't care to go to Hurricane Harbor or Six Flags, I wanted to shoot guns and set trotlines. I pitied the city kids who only got to shoot their .22s once a month, if they were lucky.

Believe it or not we have grocery stores out here and Amazon delivers. If your definition of entertainment is going to malls and such I guess the city is the place to be. My definition of entertainment is much different. We have 3 state parks, 4 lakes and 300 miles of Brazos river in Palo Pinto County, thats plenty to keep one busy and out the city.

We offered to take the grandkids to Lost Pines or Great Wolf Lodge......no, they wanted to go to the Farm.

Make America Great Again

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: Sneaky] #8286323 06/06/21 02:47 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Good for y’all. I grew up in Springtown. It’s a fine area.

I didn’t know that. I have some family out there still. Some friends too. I think my first pickup still lives there. (Sad face)

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286360 06/06/21 03:22 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I’ve lived in all three; the Suburbs, the City and the country.

Lived in the burb’s as a child and teen. Had a fantastic time there, lots of people to be with, everything was close, got a lot of real world experience but still had a rural outlet and we fished and rode 4-wheelers on vacant land all the time.

Moved to the sticks at 16 and honestly wasn’t a lot of fun. Had a lake close by but no boat, took forever to get anywhere, not a lot of people, we didn’t own enough land to really enjoy. To be quite honest I hated it....it was all the inconvenience of living in the country with none of the benefits. Went to the rivers and fished quite a bit but that gets old when you are 17.

As a younger adult I enjoyed living in the city, loved the restaurants, bars, night life. Just another season in life.

Now in my mid 30’s, I enjoy being out on the property and don’t really feel the desire to come back to my house in the burbs’. But, with kids and a family thr suburbs makes the most sense right now, and I enjoy the convenience. I could not move back to the actual city though, at no price.

One day I hope to live at least 50/50 in the country. A house next to a national forest in a western state would be ideal as a full time home

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286439 06/06/21 04:30 PM
J
John2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Moved out of Rockwall when I thought it was getting too big back in 1984 and been in the country since then.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286460 06/06/21 04:50 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by nak
I grew up just outside the city limits sign of a small South Texas town. Lived in College Station for 4 5 years, but after college, I moved out in the country for a almost 10 years, but the chase for a bigger paycheck sucked me into city life in 1995. After that, I moved a lot...but city to city.

My job has been work from home for 5+ years. COVID resulted in my wife's work looked at remote working during corvid and declared she will now be in the office only 1 day a week permanently, My wife said was willing to drive 45 min each way ONCE A WEEK, so we decided to GTFO of the city. In late April we moved into a rural new construction home. About 4 miles out of Springtown.

GOD ITS NICE. I had forgotten what country living was like. No constant drone of jets. No traffic noise, No car alarms in the middle of the night. No neighbor 20' from my window.

My wife has always been a city girl. She was freaked out at first when people said "Hi" in the grocery store. In just a month, she's already saying she never wants to live in the city again.

I had forgotten what living in the country and small towns was all about. I feel like the last 25 years was stolen from me somehow.

I am looking forward to getting back to small town life. Just a few more years.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286477 06/06/21 05:01 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I have the best of both worlds in Frisco, which is constantly voted one of the best cities in the USA to live.

I live in a kick [censored] city with everything in the world to do, and outstanding police and fire department and the city planner have done a great job.

Across from my subdivision I have 5500 Brinkman Ranch, full of all kinds of wildlife.

I have some of the best bass fishing lakes within 45 minutes of my house, with Ray Roberts, Lewisville and Grapevine and Texoma less than 1 hour straight up Preston Rd.

I want to catch a plane somewhere, I jump on 121 and boom at the airport within 30 minutes.

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286590 06/06/21 06:39 PM
nak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I was watching a turkey hen in the neighbors yard 5 min ago, but she was scared away by a kid riding by on his bicycle, with a fishing pole and small bait buck.

My Brittany has a half acre yard and we can be at the LBJ grasslands in about 30 min away.

I am wondering why I spent the last 25 years in the city.

...just noticed, the turkey hen is back.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286628 06/06/21 07:57 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

We have a jake here.
If he keeps showing up we're going to have to name him.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286641 06/06/21 08:20 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Gobble, gobble. cheers

[Linked Image]

Re: I forgot what it was like... [Re: nak] #8286846 06/07/21 12:18 AM
M
Michael W. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
We moved to an area north of San Antonio about 33 yrs. ago. Everyone around here has. 1 1/2 to 5 acres. Nearest house is 100 yds. away or more. To my wife and I , its the best of 2 worlds. Dead end road and only have about 30 neighbors on our road. Wal Mart and HEB are about 5 miles away. Real quiet around the house. Watch deer in the yard every day. I never want to live again where the neighbors are just 20 ft. away.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide