Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: John2] #8276461 05/25/21 09:50 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by John2
Even if or should I say when the Gov signs the bill the law doesn't go into effect until Sept 1st.

Nobody is going to enforce it between now and the since convictions will be expunged on 1-sep.

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: soooo] #8276728 05/26/21 01:54 AM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
So do I just throw this LTC with my mug on it in the trash or is there still value in it?

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: chalet] #8276856 05/26/21 06:54 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
That depends on you. Your LTC entitles you to also carry concealed in 31 other states thru reciprocity - that will NOT apply to constitutional carry:

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/handgun-licensing/reciprocity-agreements-other-states

Also, with your LTC you never have to go thru a NICS check when you purchase a firearm from a dealer - if you give up your LTC and constitutional carry - you go back to doing the NICS checks and taking your chances with the system not being down or there being delays.

So you tell me, seems beneficial to me.

Earl

Originally Posted by chalet
So do I just throw this LTC with my mug on it in the trash or is there still value in it?

Last edited by Earl; 05/26/21 06:56 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: chalet] #8276860 05/26/21 08:57 AM
DeRico Online Sick
Mobius 1
Online Sick
Mobius 1

I hope if you do end up not needing it, you wouldn't just simply toss it in the trash...

[Linked Image]
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: chalet] #8276976 05/26/21 12:16 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

That would be just plain STUPID on your part.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: krmitchell] #8277401 05/26/21 06:31 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by krmitchell
Nobody is going to enforce it between now and the since convictions will be expunged on 1-sep.

I'm not risking it.

Should I FedEx Next Day my best pen to Abbott? It ain't signed yet, that I know of.

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: krmitchell] #8277415 05/26/21 06:40 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Even if or should I say when the Gov signs the bill the law doesn't go into effect until Sept 1st.

I haven't seen anything indicating anyone's record will be expunged. The only thing I've seen is amending the CCP to say a person is entitled to get their conviction expunged if the statute they were convicted under has been repealed and it was a statute involving the unlawful possession of a firearm. That's awfully narrow and the person will still have to request the expungement and go through the process.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: Grizz] #8277763 05/27/21 12:02 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Grizz

I haven't seen anything indicating anyone's record will be expunged. The only thing I've seen is amending the CCP to say a person is entitled to get their conviction expunged if the statute they were convicted under has been repealed and it was a statute involving the unlawful possession of a firearm. That's awfully narrow and the person will still have to request the expungement and go through the process.

Expungement legal fees run about 1500 to 2500 bucks depending on the complications.

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: Grizz] #8277846 05/27/21 01:57 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

Correct but back to my point prosecutors aren’t going to start charging people now knowing they law will take effect in a few months. Waste of time and money.

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: krmitchell] #8278003 05/27/21 04:44 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I wouldn't bet on that when it comes to the bigger more liberal cities like Dallas, Houston and Austin. I wouldn't count on that one bit.

Correct but back to my point prosecutors aren’t going to start charging people now knowing they law will take effect in a few months. Waste of time and money.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: krmitchell] #8278065 05/27/21 11:56 AM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Don't bet the ranch on it.

The Soros installed District Attys have an agenda.

When I was in law enforcement, I used to hear "You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride."

Arrested, vehicle towed, bail bondsman, court hearings, adjudication, risk of losing other rights, and your job, lawyer fees.... and so on.

Probably not a good idea to test it. wink

Another saying that comes to mind is "The law is what the cop with the gun in your ear says it is..."

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: soooo] #8278167 05/27/21 01:59 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Now watch the sales numbers of compact handguns soar - along with ammo.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: Grizz] #8278168 05/27/21 02:01 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D

If I was paying attention correctly (and that’s a big if), the house said they would expunge but the Senate amended to throw that part out. Anyone know if during reconciliation it was put back in?

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: DonPablo] #8278187 05/27/21 02:22 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by DonPablo

If I was paying attention correctly (and that’s a big if), the house said they would expunge but the Senate amended to throw that part out. Anyone know if during reconciliation it was put back in?

Section 4 I believe. https://lrl.texas.gov/scanned/87ccrs/hb1927.pdf

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: Earl] #8278217 05/27/21 02:52 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Earl
That depends on you. Your LTC entitles you to also carry concealed in 31 other states thru reciprocity - that will NOT apply to constitutional carry:

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/handgun-licensing/reciprocity-agreements-other-states

Also, with your LTC you never have to go thru a NICS check when you purchase a firearm from a dealer - if you give up your LTC and constitutional carry - you go back to doing the NICS checks and taking your chances with the system not being down or there being delays.

So you tell me, seems beneficial to me.

Earl

This. I think I am going to keep my LTC. I do want to keep my reciprocity for other concealed carry states. Businesses can restrict unlicensed carry, but allow licensed carry, and the NICS check got me a delay every single time I bought a firearm until I got my CHL (now LTC). Although I agree with constitutional carry, until there is a national constitutional carry law (I doubt that will ever happen), there are still too many benefits of having your LTC.

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: krmitchell] #8278222 05/27/21 02:57 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DonPablo

Section 4 I believe. https://lrl.texas.gov/scanned/87ccrs/hb1927.pdf

They changed the wording a little bit from the last version I read, but it still does not provide for anyone getting their records expunged by the government. It simply added a category eligible for being expunged and the person still has to request it and go through the normal process.
The other issue mentioned is a separate issue (whether or not prosecutors would proceed with cases filed after the bill is signed). Just from a fiscal perspective, I would think most won't. Regardless of their personal feelings, they still have budgets to manage and prosecutions cost money. Some undoubtedly will.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: BbarVRanch] #8278460 05/27/21 08:09 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch

Another saying that comes to mind is "The law is what the cop with the gun in your ear says it is..."

Yup, that is the definition of the wrong mentality for police offers. Old school mentality, bad apple.

Last edited by Superduty; 05/27/21 08:10 PM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: Superduty] #8278484 05/27/21 08:37 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Superduty

Yup, that is the definition of the wrong mentality for police offers. Old school mentality, bad apple.

Actually it wasn't a cop that I heard that from. smile

It was a guy that his dad had been arrested for UCW back before we could legally carry a handgun in our vehicle. (Maybe that man will have his record expunged now.)

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: soooo] #8279187 05/28/21 07:08 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
When is Abbott supposed to sign this bill into law?

have not heard anything since the Senate passed it to his desk.

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: BbarVRanch] #8279225 05/28/21 07:53 PM
S
Scoutdog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

After accepting the Conference Committee results in the Senate on Monday, it had a few steps to go through before being sent to the Governor today.

Description Comment Date Time Journal Page
E Sent to the Governor 05/28/2021
S Signed in the Senate 05/27/2021
H Signed in the House 05/27/2021
H Reported enrolled 05/26/2021 08:58 PM
H Senate adopts conf. comm. report-reported 05/26/2021
S Record vote 05/24/2021 1821
S Senate adopts conference committee report 05/24/2021

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: Scoutdog] #8279250 05/28/21 08:23 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Scoutdog

After accepting the Conference Committee results in the Senate on Monday, it had a few steps to go through before being sent to the Governor today.

Description Comment Date Time Journal Page
E Sent to the Governor 05/28/2021
S Signed in the Senate 05/27/2021
H Signed in the House 05/27/2021
H Reported enrolled 05/26/2021 08:58 PM
H Senate adopts conf. comm. report-reported 05/26/2021
S Record vote 05/24/2021 1821
S Senate adopts conference committee report 05/24/2021

Thanks!

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: Marc K] #8279537 05/29/21 04:04 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Marc K

I could be wrong, but I don't think it will. Most people who wanted to carry, licensed or not, have been carrying concealed as needed all along. None of those people have any reason to run out and buy a new handgun or more ammo.

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: Sniper John] #8279717 05/29/21 02:39 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Sniper John

I could be wrong, but I don't think it will. Most people who wanted to carry, licensed or not, have been carrying concealed as needed all along. None of those people have any reason to run out and buy a new handgun or more ammo.

Agree. I think there will be a small uptick, but nothing large scale.

I DO expect for more people to start 'carrying' (have a firearm with them on person or in vehicle) but I don't think too many will need to go out and purchase one.

We've had Concealed Carry, Open Carry and the Motorist Protection Act for years already.

Last edited by flintknapper; 05/29/21 02:41 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: flintknapper] #8279721 05/29/21 02:41 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Agree. I think there will be a small uptick, but nothing large scale.

Just like the amount of people noticeably carrying. There will be a spike initially then it will be business as usual.

Re: Constitutional Carry [Re: Sniper John] #8280279 05/30/21 03:28 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

I agree

LETS GO BRANDON
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide