Page 1 of 2 1 2
Still Hunting deer #8271255 05/20/21 03:11 PM
R
retfuz Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Some of the most fun I ever had was still hunting many years ago. It might take me over an hour to cover a hundred yards. Does anyone hunt this way now or just hunt out of a stand?

Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271261 05/20/21 03:16 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Depends on the conditions, I hunt that way sometimes but usually after a rain, or during light rain when you can move very quite. It has worked many times and is a lot of fun. Dry noisy conditions usually finds me sitting somewhere, it might b at a stand, pinch points, trail intersections, food source or feeder.....

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271262 05/20/21 03:17 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
that's the way I learned mostly. We would sit a brush blind or tree stand, the still hunt back to camp/truck. I still do this on occasion

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271265 05/20/21 03:19 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
This has always been my favorite way to hunt, I’ve killed some of my biggest deer easing through the bottoms and draws. I’m a firm believer that all mature deer know where your stands are at at all times outside of the rut and still hunting throws them off their game. I can hunt a blind for hours and not see a thing and within 30 minutes of still hunting through an area without a stand I’m seeing deer. My POS leg has slowed this method down but I still do it every chance I get..

Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271268 05/20/21 03:20 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
When I was younger, I still hunted a lot and had a lot of success doing it. Now that I'm old, I would trip over every
stick that was on the ground. But it was my favorite way to hunt. Got with-in 5 feet, three different times on bucks.
take three steps and stop for full minute looking at every thing, then do it again.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271350 05/20/21 04:37 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I carried a spring loaded popup blind a while. Stop pop it up take it down ease on to a new spot and pop it up again. Shot a big 10 easing to the truck for some TP once.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271392 05/20/21 05:03 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
I do it more often for pigs these days

Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271453 05/20/21 06:05 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Yep...still hunting with my rattling horns during rut. It’s really all I care to do anymore

Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271572 05/20/21 07:43 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I've never had the patience to move through the woods at such a slow pace. I had a guy once tell me I move through the woods as if I were on roller skates. However, I enjoy the heck out of sitting in a stand for hours on end in a spot overlooking natural travel routes. It's the mystique and challenge of seeing and taking wild game in their most natural settings that I enjoy most.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/20/21 07:49 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: Biscuit] #8271645 05/20/21 08:53 PM
218 Bee Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted by Biscuit

That's me, right here.

Mark

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271676 05/20/21 09:14 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I gave that up when my legs gave up in 1999. Before I would hunt off the ground, spot and stalk.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271868 05/21/21 12:38 AM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
This is my primary hunting method since I pretty much only have access to public land. Not patient enough to sit behind a brush blind or my ghost blind all day. I'm slowly realizing that I move far too fast and don't listen enough though, working on that. It's amazing the wildlife you can sneak up on when you take your time.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8271876 05/21/21 12:41 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I do for mule deer due to the size of property I hunt on. Still do more sit and glass then stalk or drive to them in the Ranger though. No blinds or feeders on the lease. On land I own, due to smaller size of the tracts I do more blind hunting but still get out and rattle when the timing is right. I prefer the rattling over blind hunting though. You can learn more about the movement patterns and just general whitetail behavior sitting in a blind over a feeder. Sitting in a blind is more important to those managing a deer herd than the everyday hunter.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8272018 05/21/21 02:36 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by retfuz
Some of the most fun I ever had was still hunting many years ago. It might take me over an hour to cover a hundred yards. Does anyone hunt this way now or just hunt out of a stand?

if it takes you an hour to cover 100 yards you might as well be in a blind, moving that slow.

I do prefer to hunt spot and stalk but not for whitetail.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8272052 05/21/21 03:44 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I sometimes do this, if it is windy and the deer are not moving. Although I have made several harvests with this method, I usually see the tail of a deer, as it is running away. That means I am walking to fast. One thing I have learned, it you do jump a deer and it runs off, stop and look around. There is often another deer nearby.

Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8272093 05/21/21 07:25 AM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I was raised on walk & stalk (still) hunting. This is my adrenaline rush. It's where every sense seems to be heightened and I hear my heart throbbing in my ears. The thicker the bush, the slower the hunt and the more intense the experience. Walk & stalk with a bow is the pinnacle, for me, because of the great stealth required and the fact that you HAVE to get super close to your quarry. The lean days don't bother me as I won't go hungry if I don't shoot an animal. The more lean days there are the more satisfaction I get when I harvest the animal I have been hunting.

I am 50 years old and fortunate to physically still be in good enough health to be able to hunt all day although I get more tired than I used to. In the not-too-distant future I will need to rest more often while out still hunting until, eventually, even short slow walks will be difficult. It saddens me to think about that because I don't really enjoy the alternatives - shooting from a blind/hide/stand or shooting from a vehicle. When I am THAT old, provided I can still shoot straight, I'd be happy if I could manage a slow, hour-long walk & stalk hunt twice a day. Then, I think I'll be happy to return to camp for a snooze and to tend to the fire and the evening meal while I wait for my sons to return from the veld. As they tell me their hunting stories of the day my spirit will join them on the hunt where my legs can no longer take me. Who knows, if I am REALLY blessed I might be able to spend time with grandchildren in camp. Watching them practice with the airrifle and .22 and taking them on short walks to show them the spoor and the small interesting things we sometimes miss when we are focused on the hunt. And to lay the foundation for the next generation of walk and stalk still hunters in our family.

Last edited by Dimitri; 05/21/21 07:56 AM.
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: txtrophy85] #8272377 05/21/21 02:44 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by retfuz

if it takes you an hour to cover 100 yards you might as well be in a blind, moving that slow.

I do prefer to hunt spot and stalk but not for whitetail.

NO, his pace is perfect for slipping up on a deer. In 8 hours he can cover 800 yards. My favorite gun when doing this type of
hunting is an old lever action, iron sights, 30/30.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8272702 05/21/21 06:55 PM
T
TexShooter101 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
"walk and stalk" hunt is more fun for me.

Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: 218 Bee] #8272717 05/21/21 07:18 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by 218 Bee
Originally Posted by Biscuit

That's me, right here.

Mark

Same here.

Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8272734 05/21/21 07:44 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I do like to spot and stalk if the terrain permits.......where I hunt it can be productive for both WT and Mulie.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8272748 05/21/21 08:01 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I love still hunting...but the terrain must be right. If it is too open, They are going to see you long before you see them. if it is too thick, they are going to hear you before you see them. Our place in Texas is too thick. Although that has not stopped me in the past, I have not had any luck. Our place in OK is perfect. Lots of woods, but not too much underbrush, so you can still see up to 80-100 yards in many places. Killed a lot of deer with a peep sighted levergun there.

My best still hunt was kinda on accident. I was hunting Caddo Grasslands from a climbing stand, and was seeing zero movement. I got bored, so I started still hunting squirrels with my bow. If you have not tried this, you need to. It is a blast! Anyhow, I had already taken two and was stalking a third when I heard some noise coming from my left. I quickly switched from my small game head to a broadhead. Three does were coming along a trail that would put them less than 30 yards in front of me. I only had to move a few feet to get a window for a clear shot. That was my first deer with a bow on public, and also my first deer still hunting with a bow.

Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8272765 05/21/21 08:35 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I do like to spot and stalk if the terrain permits.......where I hunt it can be productive for both WT and Mulie.....

Ive seen some of yalls setups from pics youve posted. It seems ideal for how I enjoy hunting. I grew up hunting the Trans Pecos and we had no feeders and would set up high and glass then spot and stalk. We had WT and MD.
Ive been in NW Tx a long time now with WT only but the country allows for a similar style of hunting. We set up stands high where we can see a lot of country and theres a feeder close by as well as roads to corn but I am always glassing at distance with the hope of spotting a shooter. Some times when hes spotted I go to him but sometimes just seeing him allows me to adjust and hunt him later based on seeing him. It all goes back to seeing a lot of country.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: Dimitri] #8273086 05/22/21 02:56 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Dimitri

I am 50 years old and fortunate to physically still be in good enough health to be able to hunt all day although I get more tired than I used to. In the not-too-distant future I will need to rest more often while out still hunting until, eventually, even short slow walks will be difficult. It saddens me to think about that because I don't really enjoy the alternatives - shooting from a blind/hide/stand or shooting from a vehicle. When I am THAT old, provided I can still shoot straight, I'd be happy if I could manage a slow, hour-long walk & stalk hunt twice a day. Then, I think I'll be happy to return to camp for a snooze and to tend to the fire and the evening meal while I wait for my sons to return from the veld. As they tell me their hunting stories of the day my spirit will join them on the hunt where my legs can no longer take me. Who knows, if I am REALLY blessed I might be able to spend time with grandchildren in camp. Watching them practice with the airrifle and .22 and taking them on short walks to show them the spoor and the small interesting things we sometimes miss when we are focused on the hunt. And to lay the foundation for the next generation of walk and stalk still hunters in our family.

My buddies grandfather is 85 or 86 now, but year before last, he was sitting in his house which is on a hill overlooking several fields, clearings. He happened to glance over and see a deer tending a doe at the far edge of one of the fields.

Not wanting to rush spooking it by driving down, he grabs his gun and binos and starts walking ( I’ll add his walk is more of a slow shuffle). He walks for almost an hour and when he gets down there amazingly the deer is still there. He gets as steady as he can, shoots the deer and then shoots it again.

He’s had the place since 95’ and they told me this is the first non-cull deer he has taken.

That’s the kind of story that will make you choke up a little

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: majekman] #8273100 05/22/21 03:11 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by majekman
Yep...still hunting with my rattling horns during rut. It’s really all I care to do anymore

That's the most fun you can have.... especially when a buck jumps over ya. That will make your hair stand up on end.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Still Hunting deer [Re: retfuz] #8273205 05/22/21 11:38 AM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Not for white tail. Mule deer and pigs.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide