Print Thread
Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? #8265778 05/14/21 03:06 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I honestly don't get all the hype on carbon fiber barrels. Someone explain it to me that makes sense from a hunter and shooters stand point. There's 3 reasons why I don't get the hype.

1- I don't see any weight savings
2- Steel barrels shoot just as good and maintain consistency longer
3- Cost

Point 1- I don't see any benefit to the weight savings. A #2 sporter weight barrel (2 lbs, 12.8 oz, standard hunting contour, 24" long) is lighter than a carbon fiber barrel (3 lbs, 24" long). A Bartlein #2B (thicker barrel at 3.2 lbs, or 3 lbs 3.2 oz) is EXACTLY the same weight as a Proof Sendero carbon fiber barrel (.308", 26" barrel is 3 lbs 3 oz). This #2B contour (Medium Sporter contour) makes for a great hunting rifle with a decent amount of target shooting mixed in. If you went up to a #3 contour (Heavy Sporter), a Bartlien steel barrel is 3 lbs 8 oz, and the Proof is 3 lbs 3 oz, only 5 oz more (the #3 contours are my favorite contour). I would always want a steel barrel over a carbon fiber barrel, no matter who makes the carbon fiber barrel. You do get the "bull barrel" look in the carbon fiber, but functionality, I don't see the benefit of 5 oz weight savings from a #3 contour steel barrel to a Sendero CF barrel. Yes, they do make a Sendero Lite contour, but I've yet to see one of these shoot well, especially after 2-3 shots, which brings me to point #2.

Point 2- Almost all of the carbon fiber barrels I've tested will start opening groups up after about 3-4 rounds. I've seen some carbon barrels shoot the same hole at 100 yards (1/4 to 1/3 moa accuracy), but open up groups drastically once the barrel heats up after 3-4 rounds. The steel barrels, even in regular hunting #2 contours, will maintain consistency longer than the carbon fiber barrels. And another big item shooters do not think about is the barrel mirage on a carbon fiber barrel. After about 2-4 shots, the carbon fiber starts to dissipate the heat off the barrel. When looking through the scope, you get major barrel mirage coming off the barrel when looking at the target through the scope. The target moves around so much from the mirage off the barrel that you can not get a good sight picture.

Point 3- $900 carbon fiber barrel vs $330 Bartlein. All that needs to be said on that.

Why would you want to go with a carbon fiber barrel? Enlighten me!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8265790 05/14/21 03:18 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Marketing hype. Never fell for it myself

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8265818 05/14/21 03:37 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
To your point #2, the carbon fiber is it's own worst enemy. Carbon is thermally conductive, and is pulling heat, cooling the barrel. This sounds like a great concept, until you think about the energy the metal is exchanging. The law of thermal dynamics is simple, hot moves to cold. As the heat leaves the barrel, there is movement of the structure. The faster it cools, the more movement of the metal. We all know what this does to accuracy. Graphite foam is carbon based, and anisotropic, pulling heat rapidly on the Z plane. Carbon Fiber is the same in this respect. You also have what is known as a CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) mismatch. These two materials don't expand at the same rate when heat is introduced.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8265823 05/14/21 03:43 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
To your point #2, the carbon fiber is it's own worst enemy. Carbon is thermally conductive, and is pulling heat, cooling the barrel. This sounds like a great concept, until you think about the energy the metal is exchanging. The law of thermal dynamics is simple, hot moves to cold. As the heat leaves the barrel, there is movement of the structure. The faster it cools, the more movement of the metal. We all know what this does to accuracy. Graphite foam is carbon based, and anisotropic, pulling heat rapidly on the Z plane. Carbon Fiber is the same in this respect. You also have what is known as a CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) mismatch. These two materials don't expand at the same rate when heat is introduced.

I feel like after you said Z plane I was gonna read something about how to to curve bullets in the matrix or using the force. I must need more coffee

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8265831 05/14/21 03:47 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Weight savings while trying to maintain a profile big enough for a suppressor...need a .725 shoulder for a 5/8-24 thread. My personal opinion is this is the only reason to own a carbon barrel.

I have one..I don't particularly like it for the reasons you mentioned above...it heats up faster and cools down slower too. My gawd the mirage is terrible.

But they look cool, I do like the look...especially when the barrel ends are blacked out.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8265833 05/14/21 03:49 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
All a carbon barrel is good for is prying another 4-500 dollars out of your wallet..
aside from looks nothing comes to mind..

I’ve seen more carbon barrels be more fickle and hard to tune than steel.

Personally I’ll never buy one.

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: Judd] #8265839 05/14/21 04:02 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Judd
Weight savings while trying to maintain a profile big enough for a suppressor...need a .725 shoulder for a 5/8-24 thread. My personal opinion is this is the only reason to own a carbon barrel.

Judd, so even then with the suppressor with the added weight on the end of the barrel would seem to enhance the problems of consistency issues?? Yes, no? Just curious.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8265854 05/14/21 04:17 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Mine shoots well for 3 shots...then it has to cool. That's just fine for hunting and I've never pushed it. It might but I like short rigid barrels, mine is 16.5" long sendero and I don't have any issues suppressor on (never shot it without, why would I haha).....for 3 shots. Then it opens up and soups up the scope.

The other two I've been around a fair amount is the same way but 24" long and not suppressed so I cannot say one way or the other on the longer barrels and suppressors.

The only point I was trying to make is yes, a #2 or #3 at 22-24" weighs close but you can't thread either of those for a 5/8-24 suppressor and get your .725 shoulder. It will need to be shorter than 20" and maybe even shorter yet to get the correct shoulder diameter.

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: redchevy] #8265855 05/14/21 04:18 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by redchevy

I feel like after you said Z plane I was gonna read something about how to to curve bullets in the matrix or using the force. I must need more coffee

You mean like wedging a tooth pick under a fully floated barrel to raise (Z) impact? The things you read on a forum, right?

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8265930 05/14/21 05:55 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

You mean like wedging a tooth pick under a fully floated barrel to raise (Z) impact? The things you read on a forum, right?

He lost me at "anisotropic"(im not googling it) so I never got to "Z plane".
No offense at all Chad, just funnin on a friday.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: freerange] #8266029 05/14/21 07:55 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by freerange

He lost me at "anisotropic"(im not googling it) so I never got to "Z plane".
No offense at all Chad, just funnin on a friday.

The heat moves faster up, than it does side to side or forwards and back with this material. If it were isotropic, the heat would move at the same rate in any direction.

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8266065 05/14/21 08:53 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I have a 10/22 and a 77/22 Mag that both have Volquartsen carbon barrels. Super light in a .920 diameter and very accurate. I'm not a paper puncher I'm a hunter, so I'm not concerned with heat from multiple shots.

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8266896 05/15/21 06:41 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Looks is about it.

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8267886 05/17/21 01:00 AM
hidalgo Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I’ve got 3 rifles with carbon fiber barrels, all Proof Sendero profiles. The first was already built in 28 Nosler with a 26” barrel and a very effective brake it’s set up just about perfectly for long range hunting. I’ve only shot 3 shot groups out of it but it’s consistently in the .3s and .4s, about 650 rounds tired so far. The second was a barrel I had installed on a model 700 that had a Varmint profile barrel in a McMillan stock that was just to heavy for what I wanted to do with it. The 18” barrel always has a direct thread suppressor on it and I feel this is where a CF barrel has some real benefit. The third rifle is one I just had built 22” CF in 6.5 Creedmoor always has a brake or suppressor on it. I’ve shot a lot of 5 to 9 round strings and have not had a mirage problem so far but it just started to get hot. The CF barrel gave me the profile I wanted for the brake and the suppressor at the weight I needed. I’ll say this, if your building a rifle with custom action, quality stock, good trigger and bottom metal with top shelf optics and mounts the price difference becomes much less significant.

They do look good in my opinion also, however about 80% I’d still use conventional steel barrel.

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8268544 05/17/21 08:30 PM
T
trigger time Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
They look cool, thats it. Judd just throw a 9/19 to 5/8 adapter on a thinner barrel.

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: Judd] #8268583 05/17/21 09:25 PM
J
joshf303 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Mine shoots well for 3 shots...then it has to cool. That's just fine for hunting and I've never pushed it. It might but I like short rigid barrels, mine is 16.5" long sendero and I don't have any issues suppressor on (never shot it without, why would I haha).....for 3 shots. Then it opens up and soups up the scope.

The other two I've been around a fair amount is the same way but 24" long and not suppressed so I cannot say one way or the other on the longer barrels and suppressors.

The only point I was trying to make is yes, a #2 or #3 at 22-24" weighs close but you can't thread either of those for a 5/8-24 suppressor and get your .725 shoulder. It will need to be shorter than 20" and maybe even shorter yet to get the correct shoulder diameter.

Aside from bore thickness...do you have something against 1/2 threads or well machined adapters?

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8268617 05/17/21 09:59 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Adapters just stack tolerances. One of my suppressors is "tight" enough that one of my 300 Hamr barrel's bullet will kiss the end cap. Don't take much to be off, to create a baffle strike. So no, I do not like adapters.

I'm not a fan of is sticking a piece of metal that weighs close to a pound on a skinny barrel either. Saying all of this...I haven't done any personal testing with skinny barrels and suppressor weight but I've messed around with tuners enough to know what it'll do.

The questions was why...I gave what I consider the only valid answer, that I will stick by...save weight while maintaining a profile for a 5/8-24 suppressor shoulder.

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: Judd] #8268656 05/17/21 10:24 PM
J
joshf303 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Adapters just stack tolerances. One of my suppressors is "tight" enough that one of my 300 Hamr barrel's bullet will kiss the end cap. Don't take much to be off, to create a baffle strike. So no, I do not like adapters.

I'm not a fan of is sticking a piece of metal that weighs close to a pound on a skinny barrel either. Saying all of this...I haven't done any personal testing with skinny barrels and suppressor weight but I've messed around with tuners enough to know what it'll do.

The questions was why...I gave what I consider the only valid answer, that I will stick by...save weight while maintaining a profile for a 5/8-24 suppressor shoulder.

I hear ya on the later and that seems to be the most common answer I get when I ask the same question as the OP. The other “benefits” are mute points IMO and I’ve worked with my share of CF barrels.

Guess I’m just lucky as I’ve had zero issues with baffle strikes on lots of barrels with quality adapters and barrel profiles down to include Kimber Montanas. Only thing that has nuked the baffles on a SilencerCo can is Hornadys 147 ELDMs...grin...

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: kmon11] #8268786 05/18/21 01:09 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted by kmon1
Marketing hype. Never fell for it myself

Yep. Just like Trojan ads. I'll keep buying Bartleins and paying child support. frown

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #8268794 05/18/21 01:19 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
rofl You are such a mess Jerm. I love it!!!!

[Linked Image]
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8268813 05/18/21 01:55 AM
Anton Chigurh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I’d rather thread any barrel 5/8”-24 to avoid use of an adapter with my suppressor, but I’m on my 3rd or 4th tikka lite threaded 1/2”-28 and using an adapter with no issues. These are on 22 and 24 cal bores, haven’t tried anything larger with 1/2” threads.

If I were to re-barrel a hunting rifle to be used with a can I’d go with a bartlein 3 or 3b to get 5/8” threads and a good shoulder at 16-20”, wouldn’t even consider a carbon tube at 2-3x the price.

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: Judd] #8268841 05/18/21 02:33 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Remember Boz’s baffle strike with an adaptor... ya that woke me up

2k can turned into a marachca

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8269725 05/19/21 12:28 AM
H
Hunter_Man Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
All I know is my bsf carbon fiber barrel on my ar is the most accurate barrel I’ve ever shot. I’ve had probably 20 barrels and it shoots lights out.

Re: Carbon Fiber barrels- Why? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8270227 05/19/21 03:49 PM
cowie14 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I like my proof barrel on my 28 nosler. Super accurate at long distances and a great hunting rifle for long hikes in the mountains. Has traveled with me on a million hunting trips and taken down several animals across the western states. I def don’t shoot it more than 3 round strings because the barrel heats up but I do like the contour and it fits supperors very well. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love my bartleins and muller works barrels for competitions but for hunting the carbon barrels sure do a good job for me.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide