Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Biscuit] #8270082 05/19/21 01:36 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I try to do a Chambers bow hunt every couple years and it's $300-$600 for the two day hunt. That's the only paid hunt I've done other than my year long lease

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: txtrophy85] #8270134 05/19/21 02:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

People just have to realize Hunting out west isn’t cost prohibitive and even in a premium limited entry unit you will find/run into other hunters.

Two biggest deer I saw all year where in no point high draw odd areas

People just need to get out and learn to hunt and then unit doesn’t mean any thing.

Its cost prohibitive with time being the currency.

Not many people can take off the time needed to truly learn a unit in one shot. It took me 2- 7 day trips to get to where I was confident in very small area of the OTC unit I hunt in.

I can swing a 7 day hunt....maybe 10 days if the stars align right. Then factor in a 9-24 hour drive depending on where I'm going and it makes scouting trips impossible. I'm fortunate where I can swing that, alot of guys can't break free for more than 2-3 days at a time.

That is where the higher success private land/limited draw with an outfitter comes into play. It may come out in the wash money wise in the end, depending on how many strike out trips you have.

I disagree on needing to learn a unit, it’s not overly needed. Helpful yes but not needed at all. I can find elk or deer in any unit and I can probably get 5 starting points with in 15 mins of web searching.

I hunt any opportunity I can get; guided, DIY, lease Etc. Only time I see a monetary benefit to guided, is if it is required to procure a tag, you have very limited time, if you are targeting a score, and or a highly coveted tag you want capitalize all chances(this really goes back to score). In addition for certain animal species private can be more of a hindrance then a help sometimes, especially elk.

One guided hunt pretty much covers gear start up for any situation out west.

I’m in no way saying don’t use a guide or private(I do both), I’m just saying if you are on a limited budget, with the amount of resources available the barriers to entry for a DIY western hunt, get slimmer every day.

My family whitetail lease cost more then what I spend out side of Texas on 2-3 hunts a year. I can only think of 2 elk hunts in 15 years that we didn’t have an opportunity to take animal(miss or pass). I’m not anything special in any away, but I think more you go better you understand how to hunt. The How is a way bigger equalizer then area knowledge, and sometimes even guided.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Biscuit] #8270179 05/19/21 03:05 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Time is a huge limiting factor for me. I cant just pause life at home and go. I could get the time off work no biggie, but im not gonna take small children with me and the wife dont want to be home alone. We do very little apart and like it that way for the most part.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Biscuit] #8270452 05/19/21 07:23 PM
B
Black02z28 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Im afraid to answer question even with the 1 in 1,000,000 chance that my wife would see it.

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8270503 05/19/21 08:07 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

People just have to realize Hunting out west isn’t cost prohibitive and even in a premium limited entry unit you will find/run into other hunters.

People just need to get out and learn to hunt and then unit doesn’t mean any thing.

Not many people can take off the time needed to truly learn a unit in one shot. It took me 2- 7 day trips to get to where I was confident in very small area of the OTC unit I hunt in.

I can swing a 7 day hunt....maybe 10 days if the stars align right. Then factor in a 9-24 hour drive depending on where I'm going and it makes scouting trips impossible. I'm fortunate where I can swing that, alot of guys can't break free for more than 2-3 days at a time.

That is where the higher success private land/limited draw with an outfitter comes into play. It may come out in the wash money wise in the end, depending on how many strike out trips you have.

I disagree on needing to learn a unit, it’s not overly needed. Helpful yes but not needed at all. I can find elk or deer in any unit and I can probably get 5 starting points with in 15 mins of web searching.

I hunt any opportunity I can get; guided, DIY, lease Etc. Only time I see a monetary benefit to guided, is if it is required to procure a tag, you have very limited time, if you are targeting a score, and or a highly coveted tag you want capitalize all chances(this really goes back to score). In addition for certain animal species private can be more of a hindrance then a help sometimes, especially elk.

I’m in no way saying don’t use a guide or private(I do both), I’m just saying if you are on a limited budget, with the amount of resources available the barriers to entry for a DIY western hunt, get slimmer every day.

My family whitetail lease cost more then what I spend out side of Texas on 2-3 hunts a year. I can only think of 2 elk hunts in 15 years that we didn’t have an opportunity to take animal(miss or pass). I’m not anything special in any away, but I think more you go better you understand how to hunt. The How is a way bigger equalizer then area knowledge, and sometimes even guided.

In those 15 yrs of elk hunting...how many elk have you killed on these DIY hunts? popcorn grin

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: stxranchman] #8270568 05/19/21 09:15 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by stxranchman

In those 15 yrs of elk hunting...how many elk have you killed on these DIY hunts? popcorn grin

Rifle or archery? 5 rifle, zero archery.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8270576 05/19/21 09:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

"Rifle or archery? 5 rifle, zero archery." ^^^^^^^^^ in the red ...guess that goose egg in archery is due to lack of a rangefinder scratch roflmao

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Biscuit] #8270733 05/19/21 11:49 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Somes responses would be different if the question posed was, what's the most someone else has paid to take you hunting?

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: stxranchman] #8270770 05/20/21 12:26 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

"Rifle or archery? 5 rifle, zero archery." ^^^^^^^^^ in the red ...guess that goose egg in archery is due to lack of a rangefinder scratch roflmao

It's archery hunting... [censored] happens, especially with me any any bull over 280/300. I'll kill one this year. Not having an elk tag last two years hurt especially since, I've called in two bulls last year and 7 the year before. I'm not going to archery pronghorn/mule deer this year in oct, so I can hunt more in sept.

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Biscuit] #8270970 05/20/21 09:17 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
You gonna take a back up?

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Biscuit] #8270972 05/20/21 09:27 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
What's the most I've spent?

Well, after the cost of bail/court costs/fines & restitution to the State/impound fees/gas to & from community service & probation etc.....well I don't really wanna talk about it.

grin kidding.

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Biscuit] #8270978 05/20/21 10:49 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
no you ain't

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Hudbone] #8271120 05/20/21 01:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Nope solo this year. Txshnter won't hunt with me anymore. Last time he went with me, he was at full draw on a cow at 12 yards and I wouldn't let him shoot. We did call in two bulls later but got winded both times.

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Biscuit] #8271126 05/20/21 01:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
0/11

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: stxranchman] #8271141 05/20/21 01:57 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
0/11

You want a random live boar raccoon put in your truck or four flats..

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8271145 05/20/21 01:58 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
0/11

I am not the one bragging about how easy elk are to find on public land.....0/11

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8271173 05/20/21 02:16 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

Nope solo this year. Txshnter won't hunt with me anymore. Last time he went with me, he was at full draw on a cow at 12 yards and I wouldn't let him shoot. We did call in two bulls later but got winded both times.

I was referring to your need to take an extra range finder as a back up.

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Hudbone] #8271201 05/20/21 02:33 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

That's always a possibility, I need a back up to a buck up

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8271223 05/20/21 02:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

That's always a possibility, I need a back up to a buck up

I heard that in Pecos County there is a spare rangefinder under just about every greasewood on one particular ranch.... roflmao

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: stxranchman] #8271245 05/20/21 02:58 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
0/11

I am not the one bragging about how easy elk are to find on public land.....0/11

Why I put down the rifle and really only chase archery bugling bulls now, finding them isn't hard. I helped put a tv crew on elk last year. They got their buts kicked on private and came over to public. I glassed up three bulls while looking for bears. Dropped them a couple of onx pins. They went 1/2 and were really close on 2/2. I will say I do know this particular OTC unit extremely well though. With that said they had an a Idea where elk would be (via looking at maps), and I confirmed it and showed them easiest way to get in, and where I’d seen the bulls.

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8271254 05/20/21 03:10 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
0/11

Why I put down the rifle and really only chase archery bugling bulls now, finding them isn't hard. I helped put a tv crew on elk last year. They got their buts kicked on private and came over to public. I glassed up three bulls while looking for bears. Dropped them a couple of onx pins. They went 1/2 and were really close on 2/2. I will say I do know this particular OTC unit extremely well though. With that said they had an a Idea where elk would be (via looking at maps), and I confirmed it and showed them easiest way to get in, and where I’d seen the bulls.

And yet you are 0/11 in a easy to find them unit...amazing. scratch

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Biscuit] #8271336 05/20/21 04:26 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

And yet you are 0/11 in a easy to find them unit...amazing. scratch

That's actually 5 different units and three states

When did killing and finding become the same? Nothing easy about killing an elk with a bow, although I did kill an public land archery bull in I think 15 or 16. If you take out passing(and I've pass a bunch of legal rags and smaller 5x5’s) and or missing more like 0/4 and then take out three years helping two didn't friends in which I didn't take bow off back, it's not nearly as blick as you poke at.

No different then you going to Matador last year. You had opportunity but you passed on smaller bucks. It didn't take you long to figure out how to hunt it. Point is the barrier to entry isn't a steep as people claim it to be.

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Biscuit] #8271411 05/20/21 05:14 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Don't bring up Matador. He saw something special there and it jaundiced his remaining vision.

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: Hudbone] #8271421 05/20/21 05:29 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Don't bring up Matador. He saw something special there and it jaundiced his remaining vision.

Just a little memory refresh; “good for the goose is good for the gander.”

Re: What’s the most you’ve spent ? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8271426 05/20/21 05:33 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Just a little memory refresh; “good for the goose is good for the gander.”

Mr. 0/11...difference is I was went hunting with a mindset for a certain type of deer...not a sightseeing trip for 11 yrs. grin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide