Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Christensen Arms Ridgeline #8260602 05/09/21 12:16 AM
Tbar Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I looked at one of these today as a possible new hunting rifle. With the composite barrel it is really light weight.

Anyone have experience with one? How does that barrel hold up?

I might pair it with a Nightforce NX8 4-32X50 F1

[Linked Image]

Make America Great Again

Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8260621 05/09/21 12:34 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Seen more Christensen Arms shoot bad than shoot good.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8260623 05/09/21 12:36 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Last year I got a new Christensen Arms Ranger 22 as a lightweight squirrel gun. When I took it out of the box, the rear sling stud fell out of the stock onto my floor. The front sling stud spun freely. I made those repairs myself and then finally shot it when I moved to my ranch last fall. Accuracy off the hook even with cheap ammo, basically just a ragged hole at 50 yards. Unfortunately, failure to eject, failure to extract and failure to feed were present with almost every round. They have it back now and are hopefully making the repairs. To their credit, the gun has a 500ish serial number so it was a first run of a new design and they have been very accommodating from a customer service standpoint. Just my experience thus far.

Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8260629 05/09/21 12:47 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
By the time you spend $2-2500 on the ridgeline (titanium) and an NX8, you could have Alamo Precision or some others around you build one that you won’t have to roll the dice on knowing if it’s capable. I wouldn’t consider buying a Christensen until they have proven they can build a quality product. Just my .02.

At the moment I can’t think of any other “off the shelf manufacturers” using carbon barrels besides Proof Research, and Fierce. Fierce will be similarly priced to the Christensen, Proof will be double. Probably can get a similarly weighted rifle with a steel barrel from Sako, Browning, Weatherby, Kimber to name a few.

Last edited by Theringworm; 05/09/21 12:58 AM.
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8260715 05/09/21 03:07 AM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I will say I have heard same opinions as written above and will also say I tend to be in the same camp as they are as to if I am spending that money just go full custom.
But my limited experience with shooting and watching others shoot 3 different Christensen rifles I have to say they all shot fantastic and with just factory ammo.
Those three rifles impressed me....heck they shot as good as my Tikka’s. cheers

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: DStroud] #8260721 05/09/21 03:18 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by DStroud
I will say I have heard same opinions as written above and will also say I tend to be in the same camp as they are as to if I am spending that money just go full custom.
But my limited experience with shooting and watching others shoot 3 different Christensen rifles I have to say they all shot fantastic and with just factory ammo.
Those three rifles impressed me....heck they shot as good as my Tikka’s. cheers

I really hope they have the bugs figured out and can repair mine properly. I shot half a dozen 5 shot groups that were literally just one hole groups with CCI standard velocity ammo. I have a 10/22 with a Kidd barrel that's very accurate but I've not ever owned anything that was this good. I just need the rest of it to work too.

Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8260830 05/09/21 12:46 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Never owned one but I believe it was Judd that said "Friends don't let friends buy Christensen Arms".

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8260838 05/09/21 01:04 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I have an older Christensen and guess I just don't know any better. I lovey it.

Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8261014 05/09/21 04:04 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I like the custom route in the price range as well but have no experience with their bolt guns. However, I did have one of the AR10s in 308 with the carbon wrapped barrel and it was both the lightest and most accurate AR10 I've ever shot. I ended up selling it back to the guy I bought it from.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8261017 05/09/21 04:13 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I had, and recently sold, one of their previous models with a steel barrel. I never had any problems with it, and it shot just about everything decently, and some loads, with SGKs, quite well.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8262752 05/11/21 04:10 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
i have 2 friends with them. 1 in 300 WSM that he tried multiple scopes, ammo, etc and finally gave up on it ever shooting worth a darn. Then 1 in 6.5 CM that shoots really well. Not worth the crapshoot for the price in my opinion.

Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8262990 05/11/21 08:04 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Owned one in 300wm- lightweight, shot well (factory and handloads), the factory stock is garbage IMO-- And- the fit/finish was not as it should be for the cost, even from a factory rifle.

Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8265318 05/14/21 12:24 AM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I work for one of CA's top 10 dealers in the country by volume. CA is a little unique currently- probably 85-90% of their rifles shoot excellent out of the box, and the remaining ones don't. That's not a super high percentage for that price point, and if you ask guys who sell them, the reasoning is basically "growing pains." That being said, I've never had them NOT take care of a customer who had one that wouldn't clear 1 MOA easily. On the flip side of that coin, for $2K I'd like to see a more consistent product. If you are looking for something in that weight class that I've never had a customer disappointed by, Seekins Precision PH2 is pretty high up the list for me. No CF barrel, but with the fluting they use, you get a similar effect.

Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Roughneck913] #8265745 05/14/21 02:33 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Roughneck913
I've never had them NOT take care of a customer who had one that wouldn't clear 1 MOA easily.

I shoot A LOT of rifles and test many rifles. I've had 2 customer rifles in for load work up that simply would not shoot. Christensen Arms did not take care of either one. One was a $5K, 338 Lapua that strung bullets diagonally as the barrel heated up. At 100 yards, I would shoot 3"-4" groups up in a diagonal line. At 200 yards, I couldn't even keep track of which bullet was which the groups were so large. We sent it back twice to them. They sent me a digital print out of a target that had a .97" group, stringing in the same diagonal pattern I had seen. After some discussion and lots of questions they were hesitant to answer, it took them over 30 rounds to get this one group. They sent it back to us after the second time, and said "It met their accuracy guarantee". I told him if you take this stance, I will never recommend a Christensen Arms rifle again, and will always let this story be known. I would have to look up the guy I spoke with, but it was one of the VP's, since we tried to take our problem to the top.

If you let the barrel cool between shots, it would return back to shooting to the first round zero POI. Once the barrel began heating up, something with the carbon fiber wrap was causing the POI to walk up in a diagonal pattern. For a $5,000 338 Lapua, that's not right. For this reason, if a customer brings me a Christensen rifle, I charge a little extra because I know there is a decent chance that I may have a problem with it that will require more range trips and more ammo to work on it. IMO, there are MUCH better options in carbon fiber barrels, like Proof.

Another thing, I don't understand all the hype on the carbon fiber barrels. A #2 sporter weight barrel is lighter than a carbon fiber barrel is. A Bartlein #2B (thicker barrel at 3.2 lbs, or 3 lbs 3.2 oz) is EXACTLY the same weight as a Proof carbon fiber barrel (.308", 26" barrel is 3 lbs 3 oz). If you went up to a #3 contour, the Bartlien steel barrel is 3 lbs 8 oz, and the Proof is 3 lbs 3 oz. I would always want a steel barrel over a carbon fiber barrel, no matter who makes the carbon fiber barrel.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: ChadTRG42] #8265835 05/14/21 03:56 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Originally Posted by Roughneck913
I've never had them NOT take care of a customer who had one that wouldn't clear 1 MOA easily.

I shoot A LOT of rifles and test many rifles. I've had 2 customer rifles in for load work up that simply would not shoot. Christensen Arms did not take care of either one. One was a $5K, 338 Lapua that strung bullets diagonally as the barrel heated up. At 100 yards, I would shoot 3"-4" groups up in a diagonal line. At 200 yards, I couldn't even keep track of which bullet was which the groups were so large. We sent it back twice to them. They sent me a digital print out of a target that had a .97" group, stringing in the same diagonal pattern I had seen. After some discussion and lots of questions they were hesitant to answer, it took them over 30 rounds to get this one group. They sent it back to us after the second time, and said "It met their accuracy guarantee". I told him if you take this stance, I will never recommend a Christensen Arms rifle again, and will always let this story be known. I would have to look up the guy I spoke with, but it was one of the VP's, since we tried to take our problem to the top.

If you let the barrel cool between shots, it would return back to shooting to the first round zero POI. Once the barrel began heating up, something with the carbon fiber wrap was causing the POI to walk up in a diagonal pattern. For a $5,000 338 Lapua, that's not right. For this reason, if a customer brings me a Christensen rifle, I charge a little extra because I know there is a decent chance that I may have a problem with it that will require more range trips and more ammo to work on it. IMO, there are MUCH better options in carbon fiber barrels, like Proof.

Another thing, I don't understand all the hype on the carbon fiber barrels. A #2 sporter weight barrel is lighter than a carbon fiber barrel is. A Bartlein #2B (thicker barrel at 3.2 lbs, or 3 lbs 3.2 oz) is EXACTLY the same weight as a Proof carbon fiber barrel (.308", 26" barrel is 3 lbs 3 oz). If you went up to a #3 contour, the Bartlien steel barrel is 3 lbs 8 oz, and the Proof is 3 lbs 3 oz. I would always want a steel barrel over a carbon fiber barrel, no matter who makes the carbon fiber barrel.

Carbon barrels are for mall ninjas, and hipster white claw drinking type fellers that need their man card revoked!
Except for Judd, he’s a scientist expiermenting!

Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: TAB] #8265845 05/14/21 04:07 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by TAB

Look at me just following the science roflmao

Friends don't let friends buy Christensen Arms...I learned the hard way. I ran across a good deal on a 28 Nosler, talked a buddy into buying it and we did load work up. First trip the range we needed a hammer to open the bolt. It shot 195's extremely well but at 2850...which is about 250-300 fps slower than it should've been. Never could get it up to speed without pressure...tried 2 different powders.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Judd] #8265848 05/14/21 04:11 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by TAB

Friends don't let friends buy Christensen Arms...I learned the hard way. I ran across a good deal on a 28 Nosler, talked a buddy into buying it and we did load work up. First trip the range we needed a hammer to open the bolt. It shot 195's extremely well but at 2850...which is about 250-300 fps slower than it should've been. Never could get it up to speed without pressure...tried 2 different powders.

Judd, this is most likely due to the dual extractor plunger (2 of them) on the bolt face. The double extractor plungers have much less solid bolt face for the brass to come back on. This causes more pressure signs on the brass and limits how hot you can load it. I always back my loads down for the dual extractor plunger bolts.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8267756 05/16/21 10:20 PM
T
thorn4570 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I’ve had three and have one now in 338 Lapua. Incredibly accurate and beautiful. No issues and shoots lights out straight out of the box. Buddy has one and has never had an issue with his. His brother has one and got an elk with it this year. I would buy another without hesitation. Did tons of research before I bought my first and glad I did. Great rifles. I have had the ridgeline and now have the traverse.

I do reload for it and never an issue.

Last edited by thorn4570; 05/16/21 10:21 PM.

I once drank muddy water out of a hoof print and was dang glad to get it.
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8269727 05/19/21 12:31 AM
H
Hunter_Man Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I have one in 300 winmag. Bought it for Colorado elk hunt to save a little weight. And trust me every ounce counts. It shoots very well. Sighted in my with my buddy’s Q fix shooting right next to me and was just as accurate at 500 yds as his 4000$ q fix.

Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: ChadTRG42] #8269759 05/19/21 01:16 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by TAB

Judd, this is most likely due to the dual extractor plunger (2 of them) on the bolt face. The double extractor plungers have much less solid bolt face for the brass to come back on. This causes more pressure signs on the brass and limits how hot you can load it. I always back my loads down for the dual extractor plunger bolts.

You said extractor, but meant ejector. I know exactly what you’re are a saying and it was a double ejector set up. I figured we’d lose a little but running a 195 2850 is like putting a v6 in a dragster grin

Thanks Chad!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline [Re: Tbar] #8269772 05/19/21 01:32 AM
J
JCO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I guess I got a good one. Good for me at least. I went with the 7mag and it is accurate and reliable. And for the record, I’ve never had a Whiteclaw and haven’t been to a mall in years.

NRA Life Member (Master of Poor Decisions)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide