Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need tire advice #8255593 05/03/21 04:08 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I need to upgrade the tires on my truck. Truck came with crappy P rated tires and I’ve already lost 3 to thorn punctures. So here are the questions:

Should I go with E rated (equal to old 10ply)?
Do you experience less tires damage with E rated tires?
How much comfort do you give up with load e tires?
Should I go with at AT or Hybrid RT (cross between AT and MT)?

I hunt in Stonewall county where there are tons of Mesquite thorns and it’s super slick when it rains. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255601 05/03/21 04:16 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I run E tires on my 1/2 ton. I still manage a flat per year probably from road debris (nails, screws, etc), but I haven't had any punctures from anything off road.

I run Cooper Discoverer ATP/AT3 and have excellent luck with them. The difference in ride quality is a little noticeable, but not horrible if they are aired to the correct PSI for the application they are being used. They are an 80 PSI tire and Cooper suggested 55 PSI cold for my 1/2 ton Ram. I am at 30K miles on this set and they will go 75K easily. I traded in my last 1/2 ton with the same tire with them at 79K miles on that set and still had decent life left. For reference I was getting 45-50K on them on my 3/4 ton Rams.

Also - you will lose a little bit of fuel economy with a heavier tire. I've got the max size (they rub slightly with the wheel turned all the way) you can fit on one without a leveling kit or lift - and I lost about 2mpg over stock size. (if you go bigger also need to get the speedo recalibrated)

Last edited by Cochise; 05/03/21 04:26 PM.
Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255608 05/03/21 04:28 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
If your going to drive in mesquite thorns then yes get a E rated tire but even those don't guarantee you wont get a flat.They do make Run Flat tires.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255622 05/03/21 04:41 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I have E range coopers on my 1/2 ton ram. They ride significantly worse than the p-tires that came on them. When i had the P tires i just didnt drive through brush and never had a flat other than nails. With the E's i pretty much drive where i want and i havent had a flat yet.

Been happy with the coopers, but now with 30,000 miles on them they still look new, but are getting kind of loud... that or I have a wheel bearing going out. I run 55 psi in the front and 50 in the rear, its the best compromise of even tire wear/ride/fuel mileage i have found.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255639 05/03/21 04:54 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I only run 10 ply tires.

Didn't say what truck you are putting them on, but IMO Toyo M/T's and Yokohama M/T's are about as good as you can get. The Toyo R/T's wear very well, but they are not any better off road than the A/T's. But they do last longer.

For a half-ton I like Cooper A/T 3's and Nitto Terra Grapplers. For a Diesel they all wear fast but I'm a Cooper A/T guy or a Yoko/Toyo M/T

On a diesel, all tires suck off road except a true Mud Terrain. A/T's get slicker than owl snot and really not much more grab than a set if Michelin Road Tires.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255640 05/03/21 04:54 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I have Continental A/Ts on my Tundra.
No flats ( I drive on ranches quite a bit ), haven't been stuck in mud or sand, excellent wet traction on the road and they're quiet on the highway.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255658 05/03/21 05:13 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
He could adapt these on his truck I suppose and cure his problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX1NK17IgNo

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255667 05/03/21 05:27 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Interesting to hear folks that get flats all the time. I'll jinx myself here, but I've never once had a flat with any tire. I drive my diesel through everything with 10 ply, and I've had nails sticking out of tire treads where they don't puncture. I can't imagine having a flat every year

Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255669 05/03/21 05:29 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Just my experience...
I have ran 2 sets of Toyo MTs and am currently on my second set of Toyo RT on my 2011 3/4 ton cummins. All sets of tires have been 35x12.50-17 Load E.

The Toyo MT was excellent offroad with really good street manners on my truck. Both sets I got right at 45k miles out of them with zero flats. Rocks, sand, mud, they did great. On my particular truck, to get them to wear even (empty) I ran 35psi up front and 30 in the rear. When loaded with a trailer, I would bump the pressures up a bit. My only complaint with the MT was the road noise below about half tread. They would drown out my 5" exhaust they got so loud...

The Toyo RT is decent offroad with about the same street manners as the MT, but substantially quieter. Surprisingly they weren't quite as good in the sand as the MT was. In sugar sand, I could go anywhere on our lease in 2wd with the MT. There's one spot I HAVE to use 4wd with these RT, but it doesn't bother me. For the mud, they do decent but need to be spun a little faster to clean out the treads versus the MT. Rocks they tend to do just as fine as the MT. As for mileage, the first set of RT I got right at 65k miles out of them. This second set, I'm currently sitting at 50k miles with plenty of tread left. Now that i have a buggy to do the main offroading at our place, I've stuck with the RT and may even give the AT3 a go next go around.

I've been happy with the MT and RT. If I did quite a bit more offroading in my truck, I'd go back with the MT again, but the road noise drives me up the wall. That was literally the ONLY thing I couldn't stand about them.

Re: Need tire advice [Re: TLew] #8255673 05/03/21 05:35 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by TLew
Interesting to hear folks that get flats all the time. I'll jinx myself here, but I've never once had a flat with any tire. I drive my diesel through everything with 10 ply, and I've had nails sticking out of tire treads where they don't puncture. I can't imagine having a flat every year

I kid you not, I picked up thorns in 3 tires (all sidewall) in the factory installed Goodyear’s over the course of two weekends at the lease. I drove the normal paths I drive all the time with one small exception. I drove through a very small pasture, that’s been cleared for maybe 60 yards. I walked the pasture first to see if I could see anything that would hurt the tires before driving through. Two of the 3 thorns were tiny and I was shocked they even penetrated the sidewall. Hence the reason I’m going to upgrade.

Re: Need tire advice [Re: ZK-315] #8255678 05/03/21 05:42 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ZK-315
Just my experience...
I have ran 2 sets of Toyo MTs and am currently on my second set of Toyo RT on my 2011 3/4 ton cummins. All sets of tires have been 35x12.50-17 Load E.

The Toyo MT was excellent offroad with really good street manners on my truck. Both sets I got right at 45k miles out of them with zero flats. Rocks, sand, mud, they did great. On my particular truck, to get them to wear even (empty) I ran 35psi up front and 30 in the rear. When loaded with a trailer, I would bump the pressures up a bit. My only complaint with the MT was the road noise below about half tread. They would drown out my 5" exhaust they got so loud...

The Toyo RT is decent offroad with about the same street manners as the MT, but substantially quieter. Surprisingly they weren't quite as good in the sand as the MT was. In sugar sand, I could go anywhere on our lease in 2wd with the MT. There's one spot I HAVE to use 4wd with these RT, but it doesn't bother me. For the mud, they do decent but need to be spun a little faster to clean out the treads versus the MT. Rocks they tend to do just as fine as the MT. As for mileage, the first set of RT I got right at 65k miles out of them. This second set, I'm currently sitting at 50k miles with plenty of tread left. Now that i have a buggy to do the main offroading at our place, I've stuck with the RT and may even give the AT3 a go next go around.

I've been happy with the MT and RT. If I did quite a bit more offroading in my truck, I'd go back with the MT again, but the road noise drives me up the wall. That was literally the ONLY thing I couldn't stand about them.

What’s the difference in the Toyo R/T and A/T?

Re: Need tire advice [Re: TLew] #8255679 05/03/21 05:45 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TLew

a Cedar or Mesquite stob will puncture just about any tire.

I've never got but one flat from a thorn, that was a large mesquite thorn that went thru the sidewall of a BFG all terrain

Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255680 05/03/21 05:45 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I agree above on the Coopers. Great tires. Toyo A/T2 has also been a good tire for me mileage wise, but I don't like the wet road manners of them after they get some miles on them. I had mentioned that before on here but went and put a set on this new truck as well and same issue. Don't think I'll buy them again.

If I were running them on the vehicle I was using as a hunting truck, I would go with the BFG A/T. That's the most indestructible tire I have found as far as being resistant to flats/thorns/etc.

All I run are E rated tires.

[Linked Image]
Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255683 05/03/21 05:51 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Never had a flat from Mesquite thorns when using BFG AT KO2 and usually get 55,00-60,00 miles on an 8,000+ pound truck. Currently running Nitto Ridge Grapplers and after 30,000+ miles they have started to become a decent tire. They finally balance without issue, but they are still worthless on wet roads. Have tried ran over a Mesquite tree with them so can’t speak as to their durability as far as Mesquite thorns.

I’ll be going with either the BFG KO2 or the Toyo AT, whichever is cheaper and available. The BFG is a tough tire, and rides like it if you run them at the recommended pressure.

Re: Need tire advice [Re: 68rustbucket] #8255685 05/03/21 05:54 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Originally Posted by ZK-315
Just my experience...

What’s the difference in the Toyo R/T and A/T?

The R/T is kind of a hybrid tire. The tread is a little courser than the A/T, but less than the M/T. It's a good in-between tire.

Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255687 05/03/21 05:56 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
I need to upgrade the tires on my truck. Truck came with crappy P rated tires and I’ve already lost 3 to thorn punctures. So here are the questions:

I hunt in Stonewall county where there are tons of Mesquite thorns and it’s super slick when it rains. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Check out the Cooper STT Max. A little more aggressive than a AT but not quite a MT. Behaves well on the highway.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Big_Country01; 05/03/21 05:57 PM.

Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255700 05/03/21 06:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I only run E

So far I've ran or running:
*currently Running

*Toyo RT- best all around truck tire, but volcanic rock eats them up quicker than BFG km3. Owned 4 sets for 200k
*BFG MT KM3- best really volcanic/rocky, but very loud compared to RT. Similar traction. Slightly better on snow and ice then RT due to more sipping.

*Toyo ATIII-best snow and ice, and over all ride and traction.... To early for tread life review
Toyo ATII -past best tread mileage
BFG AT Ko3- least favorite of all 5 tires reviewed

When it comes to thorns, carry a Compressor and plug kit. No tire is immune.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Need tire advice [Re: Big_Country01] #8255712 05/03/21 06:10 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Big_Country01
Originally Posted by bigjoe8565

Check out the Cooper STT Max. A little more aggressive than a AT but not quite a MT. Behaves well on the highway.

[Linked Image]

I had a set of those too....I liked them....but they wore fast on a diesel

Re: Need tire advice [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8255715 05/03/21 06:11 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I only run E

*currently Running

*Toyo RT- best all around truck tire, but volcanic rock eats them up quicker the BFG km3. Owned 4 sets for 200k
Toyo ATIII -past best mileage
*Toyo ATIII-best snow and ice, and over all ride and traction.... To early for tread life review
*BFG MT KM3- best really volcanic/rocky, but very loud compared to RT. Similar traction. Slightly better on snow and ice then RT due to more sipping.

You have luck with plugs and E tires? I have never had a thorn flat in an E tire, but have tried to plug multiple nail bolt etc holes in them. Our local tire shop guy says plugs just do not hold in E-tires and has been my experience as well thus far.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Need tire advice [Re: redchevy] #8255722 05/03/21 06:18 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I only run E

*currently Running

*Toyo RT- best all around truck tire, but volcanic rock eats them up quicker the BFG km3. Owned 4 sets for 200k
Toyo ATIII -past best mileage

You have luck with plugs and E tires? I have never had a thorn flat in an E tire, but have tried to plug multiple nail bolt etc holes in them. Our local tire shop guy says plugs just do not hold in E-tires and has been my experience as well thus far.

Yelp.. A bunch, think I had 6 in BFG’s once. No issues. They have all been tread plugs not side walk though.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255724 05/03/21 06:22 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Whatever you do, purchase wide tires that will stick outside the wheel wells. It'll expose you to the possibility of more punctures, but you will look right in the eyes of so many on here.

Re: Need tire advice [Re: bigjoe8565] #8255728 05/03/21 06:27 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’m running F rated 12 ply on the 5500’s and E’s on the 2500, the 10 ply’s are far more puncture resistant than the lesser tires. The ride quality definitely suffers though. The 12 ply’s will allow you to plug the side walls as well, had a semi wheel stud sick in one and it’s been holding for almost 2 years. The 12’s won’t even let a locust thorn through clap

We’re running Nitto Ridge Grapplers on everything and I’ll stick with them, wear rate is outstanding even hauling 30,000 pound loads and they work pretty dang good off-road... I’ve tried a few others over the last few years like the Toyo mud and even the all terrain and they lasted about 15,000 miles and were toast so it’s Ridge Grapplers for me..

Re: Need tire advice [Re: Hudbone] #8255734 05/03/21 06:31 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Whatever you do, purchase wide tires that will stick outside the wheel wells. It'll expose you to the possibility of more punctures, but you will look right in the eyes of so many on here.

Or buy an appropriate offset rim to go with them so they don't stick out

I run 35x12.5x18 so I have more sidewall flex.. Helps to have right offset

Re: Need tire advice [Re: Hudbone] #8255736 05/03/21 06:35 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

I guess you wouldn’t like my double stacked 12.50’s that are about 29”s wide roflmao I use this set up for stabilization on 36,000 pound loads. Night and day difference verses stock tires but most guys have zero benefits of running a big wide tire and I wouldn’t be doing it without the need.

Re: Need tire advice [Re: Ol Thumper] #8255755 05/03/21 06:55 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

I guess you wouldn’t like my double stacked 12.50’s that are about 29”s wide roflmao I use this set up for stabilization on 36,000 pound loads. Night and day difference verses stock tires but most guys have zero benefits of running a big wide tire and I wouldn’t be doing it without the need.

WOW! A wide tire guy with a purpose other than desire for a different look. I can get that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide