Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250334 04/28/21 12:01 AM
9x19 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
If you've ever worked the other side of the counter, you'll find there are just as many poorly informed consumers as there are sales folk.

I had a guy once spend 10 minutes telling me how much he loved CCIs shot shells, but they had quit making them years ago... once he wound down, I showed him to the section of ammo where we stocked them.

Had a guy call and ask if we had ammo for his rifle... caliber? It's an old German rifle...ok.

Had a lady come in and ask if we could open her gun... Raven .25 she carried in her purse... so caked with lint I had to use a leather mallet to tap open the slide...

Last edited by 9x19; 04/28/21 12:03 AM.
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250383 04/28/21 12:37 AM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
CCI still makes shot shells in at least 6 different calibers.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250403 04/28/21 12:55 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Years ago when I worked in a gun store, I had a customer come in with a blued S&W .38 revolver and wanted to know how much it would be to "Stainless" it. I told him it would be 350.00 plus tax, it would take me about 10 minutes in the back to do it and that he needed to fill out this form called a 4473.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250414 04/28/21 01:13 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
I have been on both sides of the counter and there are a few out there working the counters that know their stuff and a lot that do not. Saw one gun counter guy tell a customer the 45 colt ammo he was holding would be fine for the 1911 he was buying. bang

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250430 04/28/21 01:21 AM
D
Dove Murderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
These days, most of the guns I buy are not in anyone’s stock anyhow. I normally order and send to Ables Ammo, a local FFL or Briley’s.

The absolute worst pricks I’ve ever dealt with are at Collector’s Firearms. I was treated like a tire kicker EVERY time I walked in. Haven’t been there in 10+ years, they’ve lost out on ~$50K of personal purchases and countless purchases from friends/family.

Can’t stand arrogant gun-store guys.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Dove Murderer] #8250437 04/28/21 01:34 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Dove Murderer
These days, most of the guns I buy are not in anyone’s stock anyhow. I normally order and send to Ables Ammo, a local FFL or Briley’s.

The absolute worst pricks I’ve ever dealt with are at Collector’s Firearms. I was treated like a tire kicker EVERY time I walked in. Haven’t been there in 10+ years, they’ve lost out on ~$50K of personal purchases and countless purchases from friends/family.

We had a guy wearing white coveralls splattered with dry paint come in and the owner was not giving him the time of day. I promptly sold him a 15,000 dollar drilling which he paid cash for.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250458 04/28/21 01:51 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
One of mine happened just recently. Picked up a Ruger Single 7 327 Magnum and was at the local store looking for ammo, they didn't have any 327's but I did see a couple of box's of 32 ACP FMJ"s. I told him I wanted those and he was checking me out and asked what kind of 32 I had. I told him I didn't, I was going to shoot them through the Ruger. He looked at me like I was the village idiot and then said those are straight cased and will fall through the cylinder. I paid the boy and just walked out. I can only imagine what he told others.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 04/28/21 01:52 AM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250484 04/28/21 02:35 AM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
90% of the time a serious buyer will likely know more about the product than the salesman, on the shear fact the buyer typically will do reviews on YouTube, google etc.. which may or may not be skewed or factual but the consumer typically does some research before they go buy.. I agree that when dealing with people, even the know it all there is a certain level of respect that the person deserves as a person. The salesman may be a complete tool, but that doesn’t mean that you have to stoop the the same level of stupid as whomever your dealing with.

Stores especially academy, bass pro, Cabelas or whoever you deal with are for the typical consumer or the new shooter or the beginner. Very rarely does those type of stores have anything other than ammo I am interested in. I know this is not typical.. I am a gun snob, honestly scheels barely has they type of firearm I am interested in.

Personally if I hear conversation getting stupid, I walk away because I don’t want to engage with any conversation.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: ntxtrapper] #8250489 04/28/21 02:50 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

We had a guy wearing white coveralls splattered with dry paint come in and the owner was not giving him the time of day. I promptly sold him a 15,000 dollar drilling which he paid cash for.

👍 In our business (truck equipment), we'd get several Mexican nationals come in each year, looking to buy used equipment. (Bucket trucks and digger derricks.) The guy in the Armani suit with a personal secretary taking notes wouldn't buy squat. The little guy dressed like a paesano would pull wads of cash out of his old jeans and buy everything you had!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Creekrunner] #8250500 04/28/21 03:09 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Or maybe speaking up will cause the guy behind the counter to question himself and then do research to find the correct answer.

rofl

Ha ha. Laugh it up at my expense. You never know. Someone might actually be spurred to educate themselves. I used to know everything too. Then I grew up qnd realized that I still had a lot to learn.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250506 04/28/21 03:16 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Come on bubba. I'm not trying to insult you. But, I've been around the block a time or two too, and I've never met a kid behind a gun counter that would ever be inspired to do "research". They're too busy postering as the the most macho to have ever lived.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: J.G.] #8250517 04/28/21 03:35 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Advice

They don't realise, but they best recognise.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Creekrunner] #8250550 04/28/21 04:39 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Come on bubba. I'm not trying to insult you. But, I've been around the block a time or two too, and I've never met a kid behind a gun counter that would ever be inspired to do "research". They're too busy postering as the the most macho to have ever lived.

Not insulted at all. You are probably right about most of the tactical Cowboys behind the counter...maybe I'm just optimistic that there's some sense left in this world.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250587 04/28/21 10:25 AM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I worked with several ‘kids’ in a similar environment and most were eager to learn, not just to help customers but themselves also. Beats the heck out of putting up posters.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: P_102] #8250963 04/28/21 05:22 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by P_102
I worked with several ‘kids’ in a similar environment and most were eager to learn, not just to help customers but themselves also. Beats the heck out of putting up posters.

We were all kids at one time and most if not all of us went through that stage where we thought we knew everything we needed to know. Eventually, we reached the age where we realized we don't even know what we don't know.

Just talked over the phone to one of the young guys at the gun counter at my local Academy. He told the ammo that shows online as being in stock is actually kept in the back for people who purchase a rifle. I thinkI'll drive over there and put him in awe of all I know that he doesn't know so he'll sell me a box or two without having to buy a new rifle.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/28/21 06:53 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Creekrunner] #8251223 04/28/21 11:03 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

👍 In our business (truck equipment), we'd get several Mexican nationals come in each year, looking to buy used equipment. (Bucket trucks and digger derricks.) The guy in the Armani suit with a personal secretary taking notes wouldn't buy squat. The little guy dressed like a paesano would pull wads of cash out of his old jeans and buy everything you had!

My SIL X in laws looked like between the 2 of them didn't have 2 nickels to rub together. But once you knew them you found out about the air planes the 25 Sq mile ranch in New Mexico and the small 5000 acer cattle operation in California. eek2
In sales never under estimate someone's apearance.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8251655 04/29/21 09:48 AM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Fellow behind the counter told a lady shopping for her husband, “Partitions are not good hunting bullets, he will be happier with a more modern bullet like these SST’s. They are Hornady ballistic tips”. The woman had the end of a box her husband had tore off for her. Poor lady was clearly confused. I usually avoid giving unsolicited advice to strangers but I did tell the lady her husband will be satisfied with the partitions. (My wife occasionally picks up stuff for me. I know the end of the box plan.)

I shop at Wal Mart or Academy for their prices, not advice. Their prices are good enough for me to smile and let it go in one ear and out the other. Carter’s down in the Houston area and Ables in Huntsville usually have some knowledgeable people behind the counter. Briley Manufacturing does as well. There prices on some items reflect that they pay more for high caliber help.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8251763 04/29/21 12:31 PM
R
Red Pill Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I have a buddy who works a gun counter. The things customers say to him are just insane.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Dove Murderer] #8251786 04/29/21 12:53 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Great store and staff. Wish I had found them years earlier.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Red Pill] #8251863 04/29/21 02:06 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Red Pill
I have a buddy who works a gun counter. The things customers say to him are just insane.

They are. I've been on both sides of the counter. Loved the one's who came in, wreaking of alcohol and then got all ticked off, when we wouldn't allow them to handle a firearm. Watched them stumble their way back out. Quick call to dispatch with their vehicle make, model and tag # made us smile. We never saw Otis again. lol

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8251916 04/29/21 02:43 PM
9x19 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
We had a repeat customer, who rarely spent more than $10, and was annoying as you can imagine to talk to... when we saw his car pull up, it was a quick round of rock-paper-scissors to see who had to deal with him that day. laugh

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8251929 04/29/21 02:57 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Working behind the counter is just as irritating. You’d be amazed how many people are battle hardened snipers.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: DeRico] #8251975 04/29/21 03:56 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by DeRico
I was told once at Cabelas that I couldn’t purchase a handgun since I lived in Japan. Even though I'm a Texas resident and my Texas ID said so. I was home visiting from Japan, it wasn’t my first gun I bought while being over seas. The guy was serious about my residency being Japan, I informed him about my home of record being Texas. Nothing worked, so just gave up and went to a local store and bought the same gun.

FFLs aren't perfect on it, but let me break this one down for you-

4473 doesn't ask for your "home of record," it asks for your current residence. You just stated you were LIVING in Japan, and back VISITING Texas. If I had been the person working that day, I would have denied you as well based on that verbiage alone. The only exception made to this is for people on military orders. If you were on military orders, fine, there is a process for that. If you were not, then you lied on the form, signed it, purchased the gun illegally, and posted about it on the internet. Not a great plan. I've attached a link to 4473 so you can verify this for yourself. Its question 10, and any ancillary instructions for it are on page 4.

I asked almost this exact question of an ATF inspector in charge of the team doing an audit about two months ago. The customer was from Texas and was home on "leave" while working for a contractor for a three-letter agency. He was on an extended assignment overseas (believe it was a 3-year gig). In that situation, according to ATF, for the purposes of buying a gun, the customer was RESIDING in that foreign country, even though they still owned the house here that was on their license. Their residence in that country made them temporarily ineligible to purchase a firearm. since that person was no longer military, and not operating on military orders, they couldn't lawfully do a 4473 until they returned home on a permanent basis.

Signed,
Someone who takes 16-24 hours of ATF compliance training a year

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8252344 04/29/21 10:12 PM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Internet Police always show up...

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8252412 04/29/21 11:32 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've heard some humdingers at gun counters but I've never felt the need to interrupt any of them and correct the gun counter commandos. Now, if I hear some of the things mentioned here that could get someone killed or injured, I'll step in and say something and I don't care if someone thinks I'm a prick. There is a huge difference in bad information and setting someone up for a trip to the hospital. I would question anyone who wouldn't step in for something like that.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide