Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ #8234787 04/13/21 03:08 PM
S
Safety1st Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
After looking at $20K ATVs, I am inclined to get some feedback from you fine folks on here, other options for hunting vehicles. I know about Samauris, but like to hear any other 4X4 hunting vehicles that won't break the bank. Thanks y'all!

To thine own self be true
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8234823 04/13/21 03:31 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
my BIL has an Isuzu SUV (Trooper maybe???), early 2000s model, 4 wheel drive that he guided out of that was part mountain goat. He upgraded to that from an older Toyota pickup for a bit more cab space & 4 doors. Merely put a folding hitch carrier on back to load game on to transport back to camp. Plenty cheap compared to UTVs.

Last edited by PMK; 04/13/21 03:31 PM.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8234833 04/13/21 03:39 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Too many questions unanswered. What do you want to do with it? Drive back and forth, good gas mileage, leave it at the lease? Baby it, wash all the time, or beat it up and not feel bad? Driving thru mud, rocks, sand, thorns - need clearance, load carrying for 30 bags of corn or protein? So many things and everyones situation is different. Probably best cheap option is to spend $2-6K on a Jeep CJ-5/7, and leave it at the lease.

Can you weld, and want a project? Buy a cheap 4x4 1983-1990 Chevy Suburban and create your own Avalanche like I do. You can buy them cheap, they're indestructible, parts are readily available, steel is heavy and welds up fine. They are old enough you can still work on them yourself. Middle seats fold down, and you can sleep in it if it rains or snows. Add a 4" lift and have all the clearance in the world. 35" Load Range E 10-plys will cover you for traction. The bed will hold a dozen deer or hogs. Start out basic, and add something every time you need it!! Still be in it less than $5000.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8234842 04/13/21 03:47 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
A comfortable pair of boots.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8234930 04/13/21 05:01 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It has been my experience that a UTV will stay on top while trucks will go down.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8235136 04/13/21 08:02 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I knew there was a reason I liked trucks...

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8235273 04/13/21 10:28 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Bought this off of an old couple that pulled it behind their motorhome. Its got the professionally installed towing kit and I haul it out to my lease every fall and just leave it there until the season is over. It was bone stock except for the tow hook up. I added the lift, 16 inch wheels and 265/75/16 Maxxis mud tires. All in I've got just over $4K in it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Blank] #8235452 04/14/21 12:45 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Blank
Too many questions unanswered. What do you want to do with it? Drive back and forth, good gas mileage, leave it at the lease? Baby it, wash all the time, or beat it up and not feel bad? Driving thru mud, rocks, sand, thorns - need clearance, load carrying for 30 bags of corn or protein? So many things and everyones situation is different. Probably best cheap option is to spend $2-6K on a Jeep CJ-5/7, and leave it at the lease.

Can you weld, and want a project? Buy a cheap 4x4 1983-1990 Chevy Suburban and create your own Avalanche like I do. You can buy them cheap, they're indestructible, parts are readily available, steel is heavy and welds up fine. They are old enough you can still work on them yourself. Middle seats fold down, and you can sleep in it if it rains or snows. Add a 4" lift and have all the clearance in the world. 35" Load Range E 10-plys will cover you for traction. The bed will hold a dozen deer or hogs. Start out basic, and add something every time you need it!! Still be in it less than $5000.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I likey, I likey a lot. But you lost me at "can you weld, and want a project/?.

Last edited by freerange; 04/14/21 12:46 AM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8236619 04/15/21 12:10 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My neighbor just sold his 99’ Tacoma for $3500. Was a great ranch truck.

Depends totally on what you are doing with it. My place is a touch too rough for a truck but a mule 610 would be perfect. My can-am is way overkill.

In West Texas is about the perfect rig though. In some areas a 4 wheeler is ideal.

In south Texas I prefer to use my truck unless the roads are just terrible

All about what property you tend to hunt the majority of the time.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8236643 04/15/21 12:30 AM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
A Cherokee would probably get my vote. Pretty easy to find cheap still. Parts are plentiful and easy to work on. But would depend on your purpose.

Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8238552 04/16/21 12:26 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
"Depends totally on what you are doing with it. My place is a touch too rough for a truck . . . "

Pretty sure any truck can navigate your place when you finish manicuring it.

Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8243046 04/20/21 11:56 AM
S
Safety1st Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Thanks for the replies. This is East Texas area. Mud and a few hills are the worst of my worries.

To thine own self be true
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Blank] #8243088 04/20/21 12:26 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Blank

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Love it

Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8243549 04/20/21 06:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I guess it depends in what your definition of a hunting vehicle is. Mine is something with a long travel IFS. I'm tired of NF, BLM and ranch roads killing my kidneys..... Cheapest Long travel suspension is a UTV

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8245851 04/22/21 08:29 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Have to agree; nice long travel, power steering, and high clearance is a godsend for rough country! We love our Kawasaki Teryx for ease of travel in rocky stuff, and the semi-bucket seats are better than early models of UTV's, where they were too straight up!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Blank] #8245919 04/22/21 10:04 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Kubota - goes anywhere with AC. Heat, Wipers, stereo, dust proof, and on and on - my third one and I love them

[Linked Image]

You can't fix stupid
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8245937 04/22/21 10:30 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’ve had just about everything available over the years, if your hunting a larger more open property where a Samurai can access it all that would be my go to choice, if your hunting a smaller or heavily wooded property property then I prefer the Rangers myself but honestly I’d go with whatever brand you have close access to with a great service department and after the sale customer support. Buy once and cry once so don’t skimp out on a cheaper unit to save a buck if you can afford not to. Personally if you went with a side by side I’d go with a Kawasaki or a Ranger, the Kubota’s and like brands are ok for what they are but not anywhere close to the ones I mentioned if you want options, horsepower or comfort. I’m not bashing those by any means but the ride and horsepower alone have kept me away from them.

Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Ol Thumper] #8245965 04/22/21 11:13 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I’ve had just about everything available over the years, if your hunting a larger more open property where a Samurai can access it all that would be my go to choice, if your hunting a smaller or heavily wooded property property then I prefer the Rangers myself but honestly I’d go with whatever brand you have close access to with a great service department and after the sale customer support. Buy once and cry once so don’t skimp out on a cheaper unit to save a buck if you can afford not to. Personally if you went with a side by side I’d go with a Kawasaki or a Ranger, the Kubota’s and like brands are ok for what they are but not anywhere close to the ones I mentioned if you want options, horsepower or comfort. I’m not bashing those by any means but the ride and horsepower alone have kept me away from them.

My guess is that you have not been in a modern Kubota - the ride is awesome and comfort is as good as a truck cab - I have had 3 Polaris vehicles and 3 Kubotas - IMO the Kubota is superior - BUT I realize it varies from person to person - Don't go test drive the Kubota unless you are ready to buy

You can't fix stupid
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: tlk] #8246373 04/23/21 01:23 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by tlk

My guess is that you have not been in a modern Kubota - the ride is awesome and comfort is as good as a truck cab - I have had 3 Polaris vehicles and 3 Kubotas - IMO the Kubota is superior - BUT I realize it varies from person to person - Don't go test drive the Kubota unless you are ready to buy

I’ve been in them, while they have made improvements in suspension, they are still far behind all the others. They are not built for Heavy non-road use, thus why the have the lowest suspension travel. I’d even agrue mule pro is similar in its stock offering.

Kubota is still a great UTV and a work horse with proven track record. It’s a lot of great things but off trail is not on of its plus points.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8246506 04/23/21 02:57 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
tlk, where’d you get that roof rack for the Kubota? Yours looks like it gets washed. You wouldn’t say that about ours.

I’d sure like a new one, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the old one (15 years old and 1000 hours). In those 15ish years, I’ve had a headlight bulb go out and now I have a taillight bulb that’s out. Other than fluids and filters, that’s the entire maintenance history. I did however replace a cable that didn’t need replacing.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8246510 04/23/21 03:00 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
4 Runner

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: 603Country] #8246560 04/23/21 03:56 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by 603Country
tlk, where’d you get that roof rack for the Kubota? Yours looks like it gets washed. You wouldn’t say that about ours.

I’d sure like a new one, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the old one (15 years old and 1000 hours). In those 15ish years, I’ve had a headlight bulb go out and now I have a taillight bulb that’s out. Other than fluids and filters, that’s the entire maintenance history. I did however replace a cable that didn’t need replacing.

Buddy welded the frame and placed the wood floor - put my spare tire up there and a winch to pull my deer into the bed

You can't fix stupid
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8247041 04/24/21 12:39 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by tlk

I’ve been in them, while they have made improvements in suspension, they are still far behind all the others. They are not built for Heavy non-road use, thus why the have the lowest suspension travel. I’d even agrue mule pro is similar in its stock offering.

Kubota is still a great UTV and a work horse with proven track record. It’s a lot of great things but off trail is not on of its plus points.

I respectfully totally disagree - I have driven my buggy all over non road use and the unit has been first class - so we will agree to disagree - I am 68 years old - AC in the summer in south Texas is priceless - when we are at our lease in July guess who everybody wants to ride with?

Last edited by tlk; 04/24/21 12:40 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: tlk] #8247087 04/24/21 01:30 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by tlk

I respectfully totally disagree - I have driven my buggy all over non road use and the unit has been first class - so we will agree to disagree - I am 68 years old - AC in the summer in south Texas is priceless - when we are at our lease in July guess who everybody wants to ride with?

You can get factory AC/Heat on Polaris, Can Am, JD, and it’s an dealer option on the Mule Pro.

Re: Best Hunting Vehicle For The $$$ [Re: Safety1st] #8247195 04/24/21 10:16 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Most Tacomas come with A/C. Just sayen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index