Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Guessing that means the white ones don't hold up very well

FU

Originally Posted by Judd
After the hinge fell off a pair of Oakley's I tried to get them replaced under warranty and they refused, so I vowed to never use them again and have been looking for a different brand ever since. I was all set to get some Costa's and after reading several bad reviews about their quality going down hill the last couple of years I did a little research and figured out that they were bought by the same company that owns Oakley. So I'm now on the hunt again. It is a shame because I really like the Oakley Prizm lenses. Maybe I'll give them another chance, but don't really want to.

Lots of white framed sunglass manufacturers out there...good luck with your quest. roflmao

FU

Not sure why you think I wear white shades? Because my truck is white LOL?

Maui is still privately held, but lens are second to Costa IMO

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: KRoyal] #8222534 04/01/21 08:14 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
After the hinge fell off a pair of Oakley's I tried to get them replaced under warranty and they refused, so I vowed to never use them again and have been looking for a different brand ever since. I was all set to get some Costa's and after reading several bad reviews about their quality going down hill the last couple of years I did a little research and figured out that they were bought by the same company that owns Oakley. So I'm now on the hunt again. It is a shame because I really like the Oakley Prizm lenses. Maybe I'll give them another chance, but don't really want to.

Lots of white framed sunglass manufacturers out there...good luck with your quest. roflmao

FU

I'm pretty disappointed Hud beat me on that one. rofl

I figured it was a Sherman/Pottsboro thing...bedazzled jeans your brother wears made me assume you had white frames wink

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8222542 04/01/21 08:19 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
rofl No bedazzled jeans in my house, not even my wifes jeans. That is just a Joshy thing

[Linked Image]

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8222551 04/01/21 08:25 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Guessing that means the white ones don't hold up very well

FU

FU

Maui is still privately held, but lens are second to Costa IMO

Thanks, I've looked at them. Haven't really found any that would fit my face very well. I have a wide face and the Asian fit from Oakley fits it pretty well, but most sunglasses are tight and squeeze my huge brain.

[Linked Image]

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8222643 04/01/21 09:43 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Bobo are you comparing glass to glass when you say Maui lenses are not as clear? Just curious, I’ve worn Maui’s for years because of the clarity and compared them extensively to Costas when I purchased them. Of course upon reflection, I can’t remember if I was comparing glass to glass.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: wp75169] #8222736 04/01/21 10:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by wp75169
Bobo are you comparing glass to glass when you say Maui lenses are not as clear? Just curious, I’ve worn Maui’s for years because of the clarity and compared them extensively to Costas when I purchased them. Of course upon reflection, I can’t remember if I was comparing glass to glass.

No, over all optical experience. I can snow ski on a bright day with costa but cant with same tiny level Maui’s, I get headaches with Maui.

Taking shading options out, All sunglasses have filters in them that essentially limits different spectrum of light.

In the upper end sun glasses like costa or Maui it’s sandwiched between poly or glass. Glass quality among the two is probably the exact same supplier. The biggest difference is the filter. Where costa excels with their 580 lens over Maui’s polarized plus. In my personal opinion. With that said I found Maui frames retain shape better and are hardier.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8222814 04/01/21 11:56 PM
J
Jiggamitch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I found a hard case in the road with a pair of brand new mauis, so I'm partial to them. Never tried Costas tho.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8222882 04/02/21 01:03 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Maui lenses scratch terribly. My eyelash brushing against them will leave a scratch

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: txtrophy85] #8222947 04/02/21 02:22 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Maui lenses scratch terribly. My eyelash brushing against them will leave a scratch

Those fake eyelashes are pretty abrasive. grin

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: skinnerback] #8223040 04/02/21 06:21 AM
T
Trenton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Those fake eyelashes are pretty abrasive. grin

roflmao

Those MJ lenses do scratch easy!

I have worn Costas for maybe 25 years. First pair I had were in lost and found at my work for months because they had these huge black frames with kind of rose colored lenses. I thought they looked terrible. The brand wasn’t that well know then and I didn’t know it either. They had those chums glasses cords so I figured they may be fishing glasses and into my truck they went for months until I couldn’t find my normal shades on a trip to Rockport. I almost freaked out when I wore them walking down the pier. I could see everything like never before and didn’t realize the lenses could make that huge of a difference. Back then ray bans lenses couldn’t hold a candle to Costas!
I have had a sunglass problem ever since. I have owned 2 to 5 pairs of Costas everyday for the last 25 years. I’ve lost at least 6 or 8 pair and sent in at least 8 or pairs for repair (I like to drink). They always use to have great customer service and prices on repairs. Lots of misguided stuff in this thread, I doubt anyone crushed their frame or cracked their lenses and expected or got a new pair for free. In my experience they use to replace broken or scratched lenses for $30-$45 each. If you cracked the frame or ripped an arm off it was $40-$80. Never had a factory defect just varying degrees of abuse from me. Sent in old styles they no longer had parts or lenses to repair and they would offer a new similar style pair for $75 to $90. Times have changed with their service for sure since luxotica bought the company. I have Maui’s that I like but IMHO the lenses aren’t as good but the frame fit is better. Randolph makes damn good aviators I like for driving but Costas are still my favorite. I currently have two pair with broken frames that I’ll eventually send in, maybe.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8224685 04/04/21 12:58 AM
texasag93 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I like costas but nearly all their stuff is polarized. I hate polarized glasses. I had to switch brands for that reason.

Are you a pilot?

Most of the avionics coming out now can be seen with polarized lenses..... or simply tilt your head left or right and you can see the old avionics just fine.

Pilots who complain about polarized lenses should STFUIMHO.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8224792 04/04/21 02:45 AM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I am not sure how long you owned the current pair.

I tend to think of consumable products as having a usable life.

I have two or three pairs of presription Oakley sunglasses. By the time I get my presicription in them they are about $350. I rarely ever use the same frames 1-2 years later when my eyes change or I scratch a lens.

How long do you expect them to continue to replace your glasses?

When I lived near LL Bean they had a forever warranty on everything. People abused it, they finally got rid of it.

If you wore out your truck, Ford or Toyota or whatever you have will not give you a new one. You pay $50,000 for a new truck like everyone else.

I don't get it the problem.

Looks like they cost about $200, how many years do you expect them to give you new glasses?

I am a cheap bastard, I won't buy something at full price. But I don't expect it to be something I own for more than a year or two.

Have to buy work boots twice a year at $350 a pair because of what I need here in New Mexico (snake proof, metatarsal, hot weather). 6 months of working hard and they need to be replaced.

Have owned several pairs of sunglasses from a variety of companies. I kind of expect them to eventually wear out.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: texasag93] #8224793 04/04/21 02:45 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by texasag93
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I like costas but nearly all their stuff is polarized. I hate polarized glasses. I had to switch brands for that reason.

Are you a pilot?

Most of the avionics coming out now can be seen with polarized lenses..... or simply tilt your head left or right and you can see the old avionics just fine.

Pilots who complain about polarized lenses should STFUIMHO.

Thought it was policy for most carriers. Like you I cant see any down sized to polarized other then I'm overall dependent now on them.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8226174 04/05/21 07:01 PM
16ga Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Walked 1 1/2 miles for my annual creek white bass run. I caught six before my buddy caught one. He's like WTF! I walked down to where he was fishing and after looking over his spot, told him no fish here. He asked how do you know that? I handed him my Costas and said look...

Two beers later for me, and 12 white bass later for him, got my sunglasses back. Pretty sure several different brands would have done the job, but I've had this pair for over 10 years and they do what they're supposed to.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8226775 04/06/21 10:23 AM
10pointers Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
This is the only pair I ever owned and they were only $1.00

Attached Files xray_5.jpg
Last edited by 10pointers; 04/06/21 10:23 AM.

Signature images may not be larger than 600 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall. That smile says it all
[North Dakota -16degrees

"Things may come to those who wait, but only those things left by those who hustle."
- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8232097 04/10/21 07:17 PM
L
loki112 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
L
I wear their Saltbreaks, and broke a lens each on 4 separate pairs. I bought new lenses from Costa and took them to LensCrafters who installed them for free. 4 pairs replaced and out the door in 20 minutes. Costa had the lenses to my door in 3 days.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8324251 07/18/21 12:16 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I just submitted mine for warranty repair which by how claims are done now they won't warranty them. There was a portion that asked to show my proof of purchase, which they were given to me 7 years ago as a gift. Then naturally under that it said if you don't have the receipt then they are probably out of warranty. So, I took the pictures it asked to and we will see in a couple of days here.

I remember you used to just send them off and their people would inspect the sunglasses then let you know if they will warranty the ware/tear on them. I have a very strong feeling this will be my last pair of costas.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8324257 07/18/21 12:38 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Lemme know when you find a different brand which will hold up for SEVEN years.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: Hudbone] #8324262 07/18/21 01:06 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H

I have sent them in for repair a hand full of times, the rubber comes off from the frame do to my lets call it round face...

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8324280 07/18/21 01:42 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

I have sent them in for repair a hand full of times, the rubber comes off from the frame do to my lets call it round face...

I’ve got a pair older then 7, actually had two. I sent one in to get frames fixed. They don’t offer them any more, so they told me to pick out a different style. New ones where to small so gave them to my mom.

I will say I’m shocked I kept up with the receipt. Now I have all receipts emailed. It’s nice to be able to do an email search and find a receipt from 4 years ago.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8324334 07/18/21 03:20 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

Tell them to check their repair records.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: Hudbone] #8324405 07/18/21 05:41 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Tell them to check their repair records.

I will depending on their response, when I typed my name in for the repairs I was shocked a bit that it “wasn’t found” in their system.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: redchevy] #8324431 07/18/21 07:04 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by redchevy
I buy the $5 gulp ones from walmart. They help a lot for sight fishing and I dont give a carp about them. I cant wrap my head around what people pay for some stuff for "quality" when the vast majority of it is keeping up with the joneses.

Congratulations redchevy you just read my mind.

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: mattfox] #8324443 07/18/21 07:41 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It’s night and day between a $5 pair of cheap sunglasses and a quality pair of polarized glass lenses pair.

Re: Beware Costa sunglasses [Re: 68rustbucket] #8324445 07/18/21 07:46 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
It’s night and day between a $5 pair of cheap sunglasses and a quality pair of polarized glass lenses pair.

Very very much so.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide