Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,916
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8200527 03/12/21 04:46 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
My uncle had the same issues with his ecoboost, while my dad always drives the 5.4 V8 and never has much trouble. I had a 2014 Tundra that would get about 17mpg hwy if I drove 55-60. Going 70-75 I could never, ever get more than 15, and this was mostly flat, West TX ground.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: Jgraider] #8200605 03/12/21 06:38 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jgraider
My uncle had the same issues with his ecoboost, while my dad always drives the 5.4 V8 and never has much trouble. I had a 2014 Tundra that would get about 17mpg hwy if I drove 55-60. Going 70-75 I could never, ever get more than 15, and this was mostly flat, West TX ground.

i had two pre-04' 5.4's and they were damn reliable engines. Were pretty gutless but they were reliable. Much better than the 4.6 liter V-8

I also loved my 5.0 Coyote engine. If i was to buy a ford half ton I would go 5.0 all day.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8200776 03/12/21 09:31 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I've had no issues with my 2015 6.7 until the day before yesterday. Engine light came on and says exhaust filter full, I've got over 98k miles on it. First diesel and have never worked on it, so don't know what to expect here as far as the filter replacement and cost. Yall enlighten me. Is it an easy do it yourself job?

I always told myself that once I started having exhaust issues I was deleting it.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8200808 03/12/21 10:02 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BigPig

Too much of a pain? Dude, it takes 15 minutes or less to change. I’ve got an 18 month old kid, full time real estate and work nights and still manage to do all the maintenance on our vehicles.

It’s $75 for oil change and another $100 for fuel filters every 15,000 miles to DIY, or it’s $575 at the dealer and waste half a day or more.

Way too much of a pain. That 15 min ( which it does not take 15 min if you factor in going to get the oil, then going to drop it off after your done ) is 15 min I don’t have time for. As it sits now, Whatever time I do have at the house is catching up on emails or maintaining the pool. 3 kids, driving 1000 + miles a week at work 6-7 days a week, plus all my other commitments makes changing oil the last thing I want to do.

I drop it off at my mechanic and he calls me when it’s ready for pick up. Pretty easy and it allows me not to be worried about when I can change my oil and allows me to focus on other things.

You must live close to your mechanic if it's less than 15 minutes to get someone to drive you there, pay out, and drive back. popcorn

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: Dustnsand] #8200910 03/12/21 11:24 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by z71dustin

Too much of a pain? Dude, it takes 15 minutes or less to change. I’ve got an 18 month old kid, full time real estate and work nights and still manage to do all the maintenance on our vehicles.

It’s $75 for oil change and another $100 for fuel filters every 15,000 miles to DIY, or it’s $575 at the dealer and waste half a day or more.

Way too much of a pain. That 15 min ( which it does not take 15 min if you factor in going to get the oil, then going to drop it off after your done ) is 15 min I don’t have time for. As it sits now, Whatever time I do have at the house is catching up on emails or maintaining the pool. 3 kids, driving 1000 + miles a week at work 6-7 days a week, plus all my other commitments makes changing oil the last thing I want to do.

I drop it off at my mechanic and he calls me when it’s ready for pick up. Pretty easy and it allows me not to be worried about when I can change my oil and allows me to focus on other things.

You must live close to your mechanic if it's less than 15 minutes to get someone to drive you there, pay out, and drive back. popcorn

Shop is 7 min from my house. I drive it up there when i can and drop it off. he calls me when its done and pick it up when i can. He charges it to my account.

Very easy deal.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8200975 03/13/21 12:32 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Im with you txtro. Theres a reason those quickie oil change places are on every corner. Im not trying to change anyones mind, but the VAST majority of folks do not change their own oil.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: freerange] #8201166 03/13/21 02:42 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by freerange

Im with you txtro. Theres a reason those quickie oil change places are on every corner. Im not trying to change anyones mind, but the VAST majority of folks do not change their own oil.

If I lived at the ranch and it was 30-40 min to go to town, I might change my own oil. Stock up on Oil and Filters and do it when i had time. I'll change the Oil in the Tractor there but it works out better to take the truck to quick lube or Wal-Mart and have them change it.

Its a labor of love and If a person liked to work on vehicles I'm all for it. One of my best friends is a gear head and has a 3 bay shop with two lifts in it and he changes the oil in all his 7 vehicles but he just enjoys working on it. When he gets strapped on time its off to Wal-mart to let them do it.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8201309 03/13/21 05:16 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I’ll build a motor or do things to upgrade my vehicle but I hate changing oil. Hate it.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8202219 03/14/21 10:54 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by z71dustin

Shop is 7 min from my house. I drive it up there when i can and drop it off. he calls me when its done and pick it up when i can. He charges it to my account.

Very easy deal.

Seems like a LOT of BS for someone that doesn't have time oil change their own oil.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: Dove Murderer] #8203360 03/15/21 01:15 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Dove Murderer
I’m surprised to see so much ecoboost love here. I’ve owned three and had problems with each including intercooler condensation/water pump failure on my 2012, cam phaser failure on my 1st 2018 Raptor and cam phaser failure on my 2nd 2018 Raptor paired with a “smoking” issue after extended idling. 2nd Raptor even stranded me while towing due to an O2 sensor failure.

Each ecoboost was well maintained and all failures occurred prior to 60K miles. Have 3 buddies with Raptors/expeditions with came phaser failures, one has had them fail 2x under 60K.

Needless to say....bought a 2021 Tundra and couldn’t be happier. Drove to Nashville today average speed around 73 mph....got 17.4 mpg. Pretty dismal compared to the ecoboosts/5.0/6.7 Cummins I’ve owned, however, doesn’t bother me with such a reliable reputation.

It’s an absolute dinosaur in the option/tech dept.....but I know it’ll go bang every time.

Im curious to know what yall do to those vehicles. The cam phasers are not even a big issue on the later models, and to have that many fail at that low a miles, 2 under 60k when it is generally a long term failure.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8203403 03/15/21 02:01 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
It doesnt matter to me who does or doesnt service their own vehicles. I change mine. I know its done right and if it isnt i have nobody to blame but myself.

I pick up the oil before i need it when it is convenient and im already at the store. The filter comes straight to the house from amazon. Many times i will get home from work come in change go back out start the oil draining come in get dinner started then go out put the new filter on plug in fill up and pour used oil into empty jugs rinse and repeat. It isnt hard, doesnt take long. For me it is way faster than taking it to the dealer or a change place.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: redchevy] #8203712 03/15/21 06:40 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by redchevy
I’m surprised to see so much ecoboost love here. I’ve owned three and had problems with each including intercooler condensation/water pump failure on my 2012, cam phaser failure on my 1st 2018 Raptor and cam phaser failure on my 2nd 2018 Raptor paired with a “smoking” issue after extended idling. 2nd Raptor even stranded me while towing due to an O2 sensor failure.

Each ecoboost was well maintained and all failures occurred prior to 60K miles. Have 3 buddies with Raptors/expeditions with came phaser failures, one has had them fail 2x under 60K.

Needless to say....bought a 2021 Tundra and couldn’t be happier. Drove to Nashville today average speed around 73 mph....got 17.4 mpg. Pretty dismal compared to the ecoboosts/5.0/6.7 Cummins I’ve owned, however, doesn’t bother me with such a reliable reputation.

It’s an absolute dinosaur in the option/tech dept.....but I know it’ll go bang every time.

Im curious to know what yall do to those vehicles. The cam phasers are not even a big issue on the later models, and to have that many fail at that low a miles, 2 under 60k when it is generally a long term failure.

My guess would be lots of idling and low speed driving

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8203767 03/15/21 07:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don’t change my oil or other fluids in our vehicles. I don’t do my yard work. I don’t hand wash my vehicles. My wife doesn’t iron my shirts. At least 1/2 the time we don’t cook meals at home.

We used to do most all of those things, but I don’t apologize for being in a position to not have to do them anymore. Our time is more important to us than the money it costs to have others do that stuff.

The only exception is the pool. My wife still enjoys working with the pool, just like many guys like to work on their vehicles. She refuses to pay what the pool service folks charge. It doesn’t seem to take a lot of her time.

I have a hard time seeing how having a diesel truck can be justified from any perspective unless you are pulling stuff regularly. In that case I don’t see how you could do without one.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8203854 03/15/21 09:41 PM
D
Dove Murderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
What did my buddies & I do to cause the ecoboost issues....drive them as they were intended to be driven and service at Ford-recommended intervals at Ford dealers.

These weren’t abused vehicles, driven to work, to the lease, to the grocery store, etc.

On my last Raptor it did get idled for ~1 hr every month or so to charge things at the lease, other than that no extended idle sessions like I’ve seen some diesel guys do.

It’s a well-documented issue that I suspect most ignore, or don’t hear because they remote start their trucks or wait until their door is closed to start. Or, they take the advice of the dealer of “oh yeah....that’s a normal ecoboost noise, causes no damage”. I can’t stand for a gasser that sounds like a diesel every time I start it or the company that makes them. Ford’s are the Polaris equivalent....look nice, cool gizmos & gadgets, but ultimately a let down (I’ve owned 7 and won’t own another).

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8203856 03/15/21 09:50 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Unfortunately I know of several folks that have problems with the eco boost engines.

I know a lot of people that don’t however.....seems like a coin toss.

My opinion of them is ford tried to get 3/4 Ton capability in a 1/2 ton platform. I know a lot of guys who abuse them by pulling too heavy a load with them. IMO they oversold the towing characteristics of them.

The 2.7 is supposed to get great mileage and I can see that being a option for folks who like a full size platform but don’t tow and only utilize bed space. These trucks in just about any combination of engine are way more capable of the biggest V-8 offered in a half ton 15 years ago though.

But, for simplicity sake I still like the naturally aspirated V-8 5.0 coyote engine in the Ford.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8203860 03/15/21 09:52 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I guess my ecoboost is destined for an early death.

[Linked Image]

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8203864 03/15/21 09:59 PM
D
Dove Murderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Agreed TT85......that paired with a ~10K mile service interval. If they’re going to do that long of an interval you’d think they’d at least increase the oil capacity to offset a bit.

They’re 100K mile throwaways that lose value like crazy. I will admit, the 450 hp ecoboost in the Raptor was down-right fast for a truck though. And despite the suspension limitations, it towed my ~5,000 load with ease.

I’m a Japanese convert now...no frills, but they just work. Less things to break. Too bad they don’t make a diesel, looks like electric & hybrids are going to circumvent that.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8203865 03/15/21 10:01 PM
D
Dove Murderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
WP75169....is yours a 3.5 or 2.7?

Have you noticed white smoke after an extended idle? My right tailpipe would billow white smoke the morning after idling at the lease. Smelled like crap too.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: Dove Murderer] #8203881 03/15/21 10:20 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Agreed TT85......that paired with a ~10K mile service interval. If they’re going to do that long of an interval you’d think they’d at least increase the oil capacity to offset a bit.

They’re 100K mile throwaways that lose value like crazy. I will admit, the 450 hp ecoboost in the Raptor was down-right fast for a truck though. And despite the suspension limitations, it towed my ~5,000 load with ease.

I’m a Japanese convert now...no frills, but they just work. Less things to break. Too bad they don’t make a diesel, looks like electric & hybrids are going to circumvent that.

My diesel has 440 hp....the new ones 475.....that’s why they are so damn fun to drive!

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: wp75169] #8203887 03/15/21 10:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by wp75169
I guess my ecoboost is destined for an early death.

[Linked Image]

Better trade it off now

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: Dove Murderer] #8203987 03/16/21 12:54 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
WP75169....is yours a 3.5 or 2.7?

Have you noticed white smoke after an extended idle? My right tailpipe would billow white smoke the morning after idling at the lease. Smelled like crap too.

3.5, I did once notice the smoke after an idle. Didn’t think much of it at the time.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: Dove Murderer] #8204303 03/16/21 01:15 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I wont say they are the best or that they dont have issues at all.

Many people question the service interval. If you want to know the real answer take a sample of your oil and have it analyzed. I have had several 10,000 miles oil changes sampled. Wear metals are extremely low and according to the lab the lubricating/cleaning properties of the oil are still well within spec to do the job.

Im really surprised to hear this much about the later model fords with timing issues, from what I have read on them ford had largely cured the issues by adding an additional tensioner and i believe going to a two chain vs. one chain system. I know several people with 100,000+ mile ecoboosts that all run good.

I am considering an ecoboost for my next truck, guess ill have to do some more digging into them.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: redchevy] #8204332 03/16/21 01:29 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by redchevy

I wont say they are the best or that they dont have issues at all.

Many people question the service interval. If you want to know the real answer take a sample of your oil and have it analyzed. I have had several 10,000 miles oil changes sampled. Wear metals are extremely low and according to the lab the lubricating/cleaning properties of the oil are still well within spec to do the job.

Im really surprised to hear this much about the later model fords with timing issues, from what I have read on them ford had largely cured the issues by adding an additional tensioner and i believe going to a two chain vs. one chain system. I know several people with 100,000+ mile ecoboosts that all run good.

I am considering an ecoboost for my next truck, guess ill have to do some more digging into them.

Suggesting that a motor that has been on the market 10 years and is still a top seller is a bit of a blind statement. Currently own 2, have owned 4 total. The only mechanical problem was an aftermarket performance part. If mine [censored] the bed tomorrow I’ll be first to come here and point that out too.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: txtrophy85] #8205133 03/17/21 02:11 AM
D
Dove Murderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
WP...having owned 3, all with major mechanical problems, has me turned off. The worst was when I was attempting to merge onto the highway, gave it 3/4 throttle, and it seemed like it was about to shake apart, seemed like every light on the dash went haywire. At the exact moment I needed the HP, it took a dump. Wouldn’t accelerate.

The culprit....intercooler condensation (2012 model). Misfired every cylinder at once when the moisture was sucked into the combustion chambers. The cure....Ford put a metal plate in front of the intercooler to block airflow. In other words, they completely negated the function of the intercooler.

No thanks hombre....I’ll stick with NA engines from here on out, been burned too many times.

Re: It’s getting real now...Gas vs. Diesel [Re: 68rustbucket] #8206884 03/18/21 06:09 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Oil change on my 6.7 is less than $100. I do it myself, I could list several horror stories about somebody else changing my oil.

The engine oil is not the problem.. the fuel system is expensive even doing it yourself and without the right process after changing it’s easy to get air in that system... and that you do not want

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide