Page 1 of 2 1 2
Negotiating with a pawn shop #8200218 03/12/21 11:31 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
What is usually your first offer when buying a used firearm at a pawn shop? I read that an offer of 80% of the asking price is a good starting point.

TIA

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/12/21 11:32 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200237 03/12/21 12:09 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don't do business with them, just fences for thieves.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200251 03/12/21 12:25 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Just like any other seller, offer what you're willing to pay.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200252 03/12/21 12:26 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
It's like anything eles try and cut the best deal possible. Anything on pawn the shop paid next to nothing for it. Throw a low ball offer at them and see what happens, but do your homework knowing the price of the item.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200265 03/12/21 12:39 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Years ago I used to buy some firearms at pawn shops. What you offer depends on the asking price and the real value of the gun. In recent years, I have found that pawn shops are selling used guns at new gun prices. Try gunbroker.com for used guns.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Erny] #8200301 03/12/21 01:14 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Erny
In recent years, I have found that pawn shops are selling used guns at new gun prices. Try gunbroker.com for used guns.

Yes, I think that's especially true these days given the shortage of both ammo and firearms. In years past, pawn shops might have been seen more a secondary source for buying a firearm. Today, many of them offer both new and used rifles, shotguns, and handguns. And likewise, more of the traditional gun stores are offering used firearms. For that reason, my question would apply to buying a used firearm from either a gun store or a pawn shop.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/12/21 01:34 PM.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200332 03/12/21 01:34 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Didn't really think about it until I seen this thread but I've never bought a gun from a pawn shop. Only thing I've ever bought from a pawn shop was a cheap little 25 lb fiberglass bow that came with a quiver and 4 arrows. That was 60 years ago, my mom made me take it back because I spent 5 bucks on it. Took it back with tears in my eyes and Mr. Weaver gave me my 5 bucks back and told me to keep it. That's the bow that got me started in archery.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200343 03/12/21 01:44 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Start at half price.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: scalebuster] #8200349 03/12/21 01:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Start at half price.

That's likely on the high end of what they paid for it. I read that pawn shops usually offer the person selling or pawning no more than 30% of an item's resale value. Not sure if this rule applies to firearms as well. As the case with buying a car, perhaps you have to ask yourself how much profit is the seller looking to make when deciding on your first offer.

This discussion also brings up the issue of pawn shops selling firearms on consignment and how this differs from negotiating on items that were sold or pawned to the store.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/12/21 01:55 PM.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200359 03/12/21 02:03 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I don’t negotiate the price on anything, anywhere. I know lots of folks are into that and some are good at it, but not my thing. If the price is too high I just walk away. If I’m selling something I will list my price and call it firm. Firm means firm, not a dollar less.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200369 03/12/21 02:11 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Dang Skinner, I may be the brother to your sister. Similar thoughts here - I detest haggling.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Hudbone] #8200374 03/12/21 02:16 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Dang Skinner, I may be the brother to your sister. Similar thoughts here - I detest haggling.

Lol. I can’t stand it.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: skinnerback] #8200375 03/12/21 02:16 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by skinnerback
I don’t negotiate the price on anything, anywhere. I know lots of folks are into that and some are good at it, but not my thing. If the price is too high I just walk away. If I’m selling something I will list my price and call it firm. Firm means firm, not a dollar less.

I can appreciate that because I've been traditionally the same way. Still, I have to admit it makes me one of those who makes sellers start with a price that's higher than they're willing to take. And in some cases, much higher. There's definitely no shame in being skillful in the art of negotiation.

Something I've read and learned when it comes to buying a new car is making sure the seller sees you as being someone who is willing and eager to spend money. Throwing out a low-ball price just makes you appear as someone who "might" be willing to buy if they can spend the absolute minimum. You're far more likely to get the seller to negotiate by getting them to see that you're serious about buying and it might as well be from them, given it's a deal that's fair to both parties.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/12/21 03:02 PM.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200514 03/12/21 04:24 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Your attitude during a negotiation is key. Act like a dick then you'll get nothing for sure. Be respectful and it will most likely lean to your favor.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200549 03/12/21 05:09 PM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Negotiation is an art. It isn't as simple as listing high or bidding low. It starts with knowing value.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200619 03/12/21 07:00 PM
W
wsjaxIV Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
I used to buy steel for a living. This taught me a lot about options and negotiating. There isn't much I won't negotiate on but it also taught me to look around before buying. As it pertains to the original post, I think it's safe to say that list price in a pawn shop is at least double what they paid.

Their willingness to deal will also depend on how long they've had it - something you won't know unless you frequent the shop often.

I don't think there's any shame in offering less. All they can do is say no and they expect to play the game as it 's part of their business. Don't say anything negative about their number like, "I think you're a little high." By the same token, don't say "I REALLY LOVE THAT RIFLE! Will you take...". Ask to look at the gun, put your hands on it so they know you are a buyer and then ask, "Would you take $xxx?" If they say no then ask what they would take and then decide if you can live with it. Just because he says, "I'd have to get $500" don't be afraid to offer less. Let him know you are buying today and then offer $460. Good luck!

"The world is littered with the bodies of people that tried to stick it to ole J.R."

J.R. Ewing, 1981
Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: wsjaxIV] #8200641 03/12/21 07:16 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by wsjaxIV
I used to buy steel for a living. This taught me a lot about options and negotiating. There isn't much I won't negotiate on but it also taught me to look around before buying. As it pertains to the original post, I think it's safe to say that list price in a pawn shop is at least double what they paid.

Their willingness to deal will also depend on how long they've had it - something you won't know unless you frequent the shop often.

I don't think there's any shame in offering less. All they can do is say no and they expect to play the game as it 's part of their business. Don't say anything negative about their number like, "I think you're a little high." By the same token, don't say "I REALLY LOVE THAT RIFLE! Will you take...". Ask to look at the gun, put your hands on it so they know you are a buyer and then ask, "Would you take $xxx?" If they say no then ask what they would take and then decide if you can live with it. Just because he says, "I'd have to get $500" don't be afraid to offer less. Let him know you are buying today and then offer $460. Good luck!

Good post.

I called a pawn shop that I had visited last weekend to see if a rifle was still available, which brings up another point. There's probably no harm in asking questions over the phone, but I'm thinking all negotiation should be face-to-face at the point where money and the firearm can be exchanged over the counter.

I've had others tell me as that it's best to know how long a pawn shop item has been on the shelf. The longer it sits there the more eager they usually are to sell it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/12/21 07:17 PM.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: skinnerback] #8200643 03/12/21 07:16 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

So you pay full retail asking price? Never negotiate anything?

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: The Dude Abides] #8200670 03/12/21 07:52 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

So you pay full retail asking price? Never negotiate anything?

I shop around/price check before I buy something, but no I never haggle and negotiate a price. I will go with the best deal I can find most of the time, but no back & forth nonsense on price. I’ve just always hated that chit and hate it when people try & jew/chew me down on something. As far as guns and gun accessories, for the last 8 yrs or so I’ve pretty much always done business with a local gun shop here because I like the man and his family, and he’s helped me out when I needed it the most when I had to sell some guns in the past. Sometimes he’s cheaper, sometimes he’s not, but I don’t mind spending a little more to support his business. I pay what he asks for a gun, but sometimes he comes down on his asking price by himself anyway lol. Especially if I’m buying a bunch of stuff or if it’s something for one of my kids. He’s selling the place and retiring so I dunno where I’m gonna go now. frown

I’ve never bought a gun from a pawn shop.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8200676 03/12/21 07:57 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Figure out what you'd be willing to pay, then offer less than that.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8201148 03/13/21 02:29 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I dont really enjoy haggling so I dont do it much. Now when it comes to car dealerships, for whatever reason I love messing with them. The slimy, pushy ones are the best to mess with.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: skinnerback] #8201160 03/13/21 02:37 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A

I love the art of the deal and enjoy the negotiations it's part of buying and selling.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8201236 03/13/21 03:56 AM
C
Cass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Remember that Pawn Shops make their real money by making pawn loans at high interest rates. They are always better off to covert their inventory into cash and loan it out. I always find them very willing to deal when you are serious about buying. Throw out a low cash offer and they will usually go right to the price they can accept.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: HWY_MAN] #8201259 03/13/21 04:19 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Didn't really think about it until I seen this thread but I've never bought a gun from a pawn shop. Only thing I've ever bought from a pawn shop was a cheap little 25 lb fiberglass bow that came with a quiver and 4 arrows. That was 60 years ago, my mom made me take it back because I spent 5 bucks on it. Took it back with tears in my eyes and Mr. Weaver gave me my 5 bucks back and told me to keep it. That's the bow that got me started in archery.

That’s a great memory.

Re: Negotiating with a pawn shop [Re: Texas Dan] #8201294 03/13/21 04:49 AM
J
JCO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I’ve made some good deals in privately owned local pawn shops. I stick to the ones with good reputations that also sell new guns. Never had any luck with the chain variety. They usually have 100% Blue Book prices on 90% or lower guns and a staff that knows next to nothing.

Local Mom and Pop variety is my choice and every now and then you find a treasure. Build a relationship and they will often show you what’s in their vault for the required waiting period. I’ve put money down and when the gun clears, pay the rest and it’s mine.

NRA Life Member (Master of Poor Decisions)
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide